Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 Free Agency

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

adrian522 wrote: »
    Free agency is still useful for clever teams.
    The difference is that some teams (or more specifically coaches) try and build a team using free agency. The only sustainable way to build a roster is through the draft.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    The trick is to pick up players on low risk contracts that no one else wants. If they work out bargain , if not no great loss.
    Actually - getting good quality players on short-term contracts - or come an play and prove yourself - is the key. Some teams have been very effective in this approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Nick Hardwick says he is coming back to play another season so that means SD will not be going after Alex Mack....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Jordan Gross has just retired. That must be a serious blow to the Panthers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Jordan Gross has just retired. That must be a serious blow to the Panthers

One of the top 3 or 4 tackles in the league last year. Massive blow.

From a Ravens point of view it's not great news either as Monroe is probably the best free agent LT available and I'm sure the Panthers will have serious interest in him now too, although I think he'll prove too expensive for them.

It's a difficult situation for the Panthers. The top free agent LT's will likely be too expensive and picking at #28 in the draft means the top LT's will be off the board too. They might be the team in the first round who could take a chance of Cyrus Kouandjio if they felt his physical was alright. Some teams failed him, some didn't.

Paully D wrote: »
    One of the top 3 or 4 tackles in the league last year. Massive blow.

From a Ravens point of view it's not great news either as Monroe is probably the best free agent LT available and I'm sure the Panthers will have serious interest in him now too, although I think he'll prove too expensive for them.

It's a difficult situation for the Panthers. The top free agent LT's will likely be too expensive and picking at #28 in the draft means the top LT's will be off the board too. They might be the team in the first round who could take a chance of Cyrus Kouandjio if they felt his physical was alright. Some teams failed him, some didn't.

Yea it's a very interesting decision to retire. As you said he was still one of the best LT's in football last year & had no injuries. From what I have read he just wants to get out while he is healthy. Brave decision to pass up on what could easily have benn $15 million if he hung around for another 3 years

Yea it's a very interesting decision to retire. As you said he was still one of the best LT's in football last year & had no injuries. From what I have read he just wants to get out while he is healthy. Brave decision to pass up on what could easily have benn $15 million if he hung around for another 3 years

or possibly gain a massive one year payout if they have to convince him to return......... just saying

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

From NFL.com its looking like the cap will now be north of the 130 million estimate.. interesting times ahead

From NFL.com its looking like the cap will now be north of the 130 million estimate.. interesting times ahead

No excuse for Linval Joseph not to remain a Giant then!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

No excuse for Linval Joseph not to remain a Giant then!!

Rumour is that he wants $8M+ a year. I'd be fine with that but the Giants apparently aren't.

• Advertisement

Red Crow wrote: »
    Rumour is that he wants $8M+ a year. I'd be fine with that but the Giants apparently aren't.

I'd be absolutely fine with that too. He is well worth it. Apparently we have voided Brandon Myers contract (as expected)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I'd be absolutely fine with that too. He is well worth it. Apparently we have voided Brandon Myers contract (as expected)

Also JR has started the draft propaganda train saying that he will take a QB if his man is still there. Yikes!

Red Crow wrote: »
    Also JR has started the draft propaganda train saying that he will take a QB if his man is still there. Yikes!

Very odd. Nassib needs to become the back-up this year as we can't be carrying 3 QB's. Be interesting if he can't beat out Painter what we end up doing with him

looks like riley cooper wont hit free agency hes expected to sign a 4 year deal today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

D'qwell Jackson middle linebacker cut by the Browns

Jason LaConfora reporting 7 teams have expressed interest.

30 years old and he'll be getting a very good payday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Give that the Browns DC is now the Titans DC it didnt take long for him to be linked to Nashville..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Give that the Browns DC is now the Titans DC it didnt take long for him to be linked to Nashville..

That and the fact that we are absolutely terrible at ILB so realistically we need to find a veteran and draft for that position too.

Jackson has a visit scheduled with the titans over the weekend, rumours that he won't be leaving without signing abound !

Jackson has a visit scheduled with the titans over the weekend, rumours that he won't be leaving without signing abound !
    Jackson also has a visit scheduled with the Broncos. It is possible that he signs with the Titans before leaving - but if he wants a shot at the SB then it would make sense for him to visit Denver.

Jackson also has a visit scheduled with the Broncos. It is possible that he signs with the Titans before leaving - but if he wants a shot at the SB then it would make sense for him to visit Denver.

How much cap space do the broncos have. I thought they were in a position similar to the patriots in which they had enough space to sign their draft picks and not much else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Seen Decker linked to the Colts. He is a good receiver ( stats inflated playing with Peyton) and wouldn't really mind signing him but only for #2 money, definitely doesnt have it in him to be a #1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Broncos should have about 10m more than the Pats.

There is a good website to track Caps. I know someone put it up before can't remeber if this year or last:

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Broncos&Year=2014

overthecap is a great website, I check it all the time. It updated to the 2014 figures earlier this week

The owner of the site also does a podcast which you can get through itunes. Extremly interesting and he covers current topics, for example if the Ravens wanted to cut Ray Rice what dead money would there be.

So the broncos actually have more cap space than the titans. That is frustrating, we have a far weaker team and are obviously over-paying in a lot of areas.

But I suppose that doesn't take into account the near certain cuts of wimbley CJ Stewart and stevens and possibly more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

What is up with teams signing Kickers to long term contracts? The Panthers just signed Graham Gano to a four year contract. While he was a solid kicker last year things can change very quickly for a kicker so I don't see the point in putting that guaranteed money on the boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Cowboys doing Cowboy things

Team Cap Space*
    Oakland Raiders $66,387,920
    Jacksonville Jaguars $55,128,123
    Cleveland Browns $51,227,168
    Indianapolis Colts $40,014,750
    Miami Dolphins $38,181,273
    Green Bay Packers $34,197,930
    Minnesota Vikings $30,733,489
    Cincinnati Bengals $29,362,957
    Washington Redskins $28,684,986
    New York Jets $25,744,558
    Philadelphia Eagles $25,674,804
    Buffalo Bills $24,709,541
    Baltimore Ravens $22,179,100
    Denver Broncos $18,471,763
    Atlanta Falcons $18,448,129
    New York Giants $18,288,183
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers $17,791,539
    Arizona Cardinals $15,295,087
    Carolina Panthers $13,929,714
    Tennessee Titans $12,006,952
    San Francisco 49ers $11,844,974
    Detroit Lions $10,010,130
    Chicago Bears $9,789,726
    New England Patriots $9,591,420
    Kansas City Chiefs $8,626,444
    Houston Texans $8,003,210
    New Orleans Saints $7,172,992
    St. Louis Rams $6,317,232
    San Diego Chargers $4,863,830
    Seattle Seahawks $4,776,224
    Pittsburgh Steelers -$6,748,066
    Dallas Cowboys -$18,920,690

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/118418/inside-slant-cap-space-based-on-132m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Strange feeling as a Raider fan having this much money. Also strange that despite having tons of money this will be one of the few times in the last few years we won't blow lots of money on crap players. They got knocked a lot, but I still think the Reggie and Allen did a great job last year in terms of on-field performance when you look at how hamstrung they were in terms of trying to field a team.

1379046572005-oakland.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Do you still want to avoid a QB in the first round Chucky? Assuming you don't get Teddy that is..

Schaub seems to be the latest being touted...or even Matt Flynn, sigh. Surely if there's one of Teddy, Johnny or Bortles on the board the Raiders will get stuck in? Groom one of those three on their relatively low contracts and blow the money elsewhere?

How much cap space do the broncos have. I thought they were in a position similar to the patriots in which they had enough space to sign their draft picks and not much else.
    The Broncos will have approximately $20million in caps space before any cuts are made.
    Bailey is due to make $10millon this year and it is expected he will restructure down to something like $4million.
    It is also expected that Dressen will be cut saving a further $2.5million.
    Chris Kuper will restructure to the vet minimum or be cut saving $4million.
    There is likely to be some other minor restructuring leaving the Broncos with something in the region of $35million available under the cap. Approx. $5million will be allocated to rookie contracts, leaving the Broncos with $30million+ for free agency.

Now I don't expect Elway to got and splash all the cash. In 2015 Von, DT and Julius Thomas are due new contracts. But Elway will continue to sign good value signings to short term contracts. Elway will focus on bringing back DRC with some of the money.
    Raf32 wrote: »
    Seen Decker linked to the Colts. He is a good receiver ( stats inflated playing with Peyton) and wouldn't really mind signing him but only for #2 money, definitely doesnt have it in him to be a #1.
    Decker is looking for #1WR money (rumour has it he is looking for $9million). If all he is offered is #2 money he will probably resign with the Broncos.

but I still think the Reggie and Allen did a great job last year in terms of on-field performance when you look at how hamstrung they were in terms of trying to field a team.
    I think Allen has the potential to be a very good HC - he is approaching the job sensibly and if he is given the time will build a good team at the Raiders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Do you still want to avoid a QB in the first round Chucky? Assuming you don't get Teddy that is..

Schaub seems to be the latest being touted...or even Matt Flynn, sigh. Surely if there's one of Teddy, Johnny or Bortles on the board the Raiders will get stuck in? Groom one of those three on their relatively low contracts and blow the money elsewhere?

Yea. I think we'll go with Teddy if he's there, I don't think they'd draft the other two at #5. Personally I'll cry if we draft Johnny, he'd be terrible at #5. Although supposedly he had a great interview with the Raiders and Mark Davis loved him. ugh. Bortles I think would still be a big reach but not as bad as JF.

I think Allen has the potential to be a very good HC - he is approaching the job sensibly and if he is given the time will build a good team at the Raiders.

Yea, he's done very well. Just not sure he'll be given the chance. Even expecting wins next year will be tough when we still have a huge lack of talent on the team.

• Advertisement

TO. wrote: »
    Broncos should have about 10m more than the Pats.

There is a good website to track Caps. I know someone put it up before can't remeber if this year or last:

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=Broncos&Year=2014

Why do the Giants have over $1million in dead money because of Brandon Myers :confused:

Also the cap numbers of Chris Snee, David Bass & Kiwi really annoy me. What a waste of money

Yea. I think we'll go with Teddy if he's there, I don't think they'd draft the other two at #5. Personally I'll cry if we draft Johnny, he'd be terrible at #5. Although supposedly he had a great interview with the Raiders and Mark Davis loved him. ugh. Bortles I think would still be a big reach but not as bad as JF.

Yea, he's done very well. Just not sure he'll be given the chance. Even expecting wins next year will be tough when we still have a huge lack of talent on the team.

I really do think McKenzie & Allen did a great job last year. If I were a Raiders fan I would have great trust that the pair could lead the franchise back to relevance.

Those figures for dead cap space last year are staggering. How they managed to be even semi competitive (esp when you take injuries into account) is of fantastic credit to Allen

Panthers have tagged Greg Hardy which means they have over 20% of their cap tied up in two players, defensive ends Hardy and Johnson (according to Pro Football Talk). The same site states that they have 49.5 sacks combined over the last two seasons, but 21% of your cap is a serious amount of money to be spending on two players when neither is a quarterback.

Panthers have tagged Greg Hardy which means they have over 20% of their cap tied up in two players, defensive ends Hardy and Johnson (according to Pro Football Talk). The same site states that they have 49.5 sacks combined over the last two seasons, but 21% of your cap is a serious amount of money to be spending on two players when neither is a quarterback.

Agreed, they are going to run into serious problems once Cam's rookie deal is up.

Tag & Trade I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

Jimmy Graham has been tagged only question now is will he get TE money or WR money?

me89 wrote: »
    Jimmy Graham has been tagged only question now is will he get TE money or WR money?

He'll get the TE tag (&then hold out)

Seahawks have released Sidney Rice. Pity injuries have really wrecked his career. I'm sure someone will be enticed to give him a 1 year deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The Franchise & Transition tags for 2014 have now been confirmed.

2014 Franchise tags

Quarterback: $16.192 million

Running back: $9.54 million

Wide receiver: $12.312 million

Tight end: $7.035 million

Offensive lineman: $11.654 million

Defensive end: $13.116 million

Defensive tackle: $9.654 million

Linebacker: $11.455 million

Cornerback: $11.834 million

Safety: $8.433 million

Kicker/punter: $3.556 million

2014 Transition tags
    Quarterback: $14.666 million

Running back: $8.033 million

Wide receiver: $10.176 million

Tight end: $6.106 million

Offensive lineman: $10.039 million

Defensive end: $10.633 million

Defensive tackle: $8.060 million

Linebacker: $9.754 million

Cornerback: $10.081 million

Safety: $7.253 million

Kicker/punter: $3.205 million
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000330088/article/nfl-releases-2014-franchise-transition-tag-numbers

• Advertisement

me89 wrote: »

Interestingly, he's been given the non-exclusive tag which allows a team to sign him in exchange for two first round picks although the Saints could match any contract offered.

Imagine the Pats decide they want the two tight end set again? :pac:

Raf32 wrote: »
    Imagine the Pats decide they want the two tight end set again? :pac:

Gronk and Graham on the same offense would be devastating. But I wouldn't give one 1st round pick for Graham never mind two.

Gronk and Graham on the same offense would be devastating. But I wouldn't give one 1st round pick for Graham never mind two.

whaaaaat? why he's the best receiving te in the nfl and hes far healthier than gronk

eagles resign jeremy maclin to a 1 year deal hes going to make a serious upgrade to that offense next year.

also means we can concentrate 100% on defense in free agency and the draft

he's the best receiving te in the nfl

When Gronk isn't playing of course.;)
    and hes far healthier than gronk

No argument with that. Graham is a fine player, but once it gets to the business of the season he disappears. Did you see his game against the Seahawks? He was totally invisible. He got involved in some pregame thrash talk and then couldn't deliver on his promises during the game. He was totally intimidated and bullied by the Seahawks secondary. And thus for me and a lot of people, he showed us his true lack of mettle.

He's a fine player, beats up well on regular teams during the season, but he has a soft underbelly and doesn't like to much physicality. He was nonexistent when he played us last season. Talib got up close and personal and stuck to him like a shadow. Graham couldn't cope and ended up being invisible for the entire game. And that's why I wouldn't give a first round pick for him.

• Advertisement

Ravens expected to slap the franchise tag on Eugene Monroe left tackle. This is 11.6 million but will give them time to work on a deal. Monroe is only 26 and could be in the league for years and years.

He has delayed signing a deal which is fair enough and there are reports that Miami are ready to offer big money for this free agent. They have lots of cap space, a new GM and and a horrible Oline

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ravens expected to slap the franchise tag on Eugene Monroe left tackle. This is 11.6 million but will give them time to work on a deal. Monroe is only 26 and could be in the league for years and years.

He has delayed signing a deal which is fair enough and there are reports that Miami are ready to offer big money for this free agent. They have lots of cap space, a new GM and and a horrible Oline

Yep, get him tagged. Letting him walk would be a massive mistake given his performance level and our O-line difficulties. It's expensive, but with the salary cap increase we can swallow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Donald Butler coming back to SD. Solid leader on our D, not an all Pro by any means but real solid when he is on the field, has had his injury problems. Butler is/was ranked No. 29 overall on Around The League's 101 free-agents list. His signing will leave a pool full of older inside linebackers on the open market.

There have been no reports about the money to be paid. No information about base value, annual rate, signing bonus, guaranteed money. Nothing. Teams and agents recognize a 24-hour rule when it comes to news of player contracts. If the terms aren’t leaked within 24 hours after the contract emerges, the terms generally aren’t worth bragging about. I reckon it's about $6m per.

ESPN have a list of key dates here
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8795630/p2014-nfl-key-dates-p

The next upcoming deadline is for franchise tagging a player which is 9pm Irish time today.

roumer that desean jackson is available for trade. cant see it happening but iv read a few different articles saying it now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement