Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College Football Penn St/UCF Game confirmed 2014 in Croker

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭spillit67

Yes it was free last time and I imagine will be again. It was great last time, it was a great mix of US fans and the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭kev_s88

definitely have to try source myself a Blake Bortles UCF jersey...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

kev_s88 wrote: »
    definitely have to try source myself a Blake Bortles UCF jersey...

I'm just back from Orlando and UCF merchandise was thin on the ground which was strange considering that's where they're from and they've had probably the most media attention they've ever had with Bortles and winning a big bowl game.

I was hoping to get a tshirt with his name and number on the back but had to settle for just a blank shirt. You'd probably get one online at a site like fansedge or at their own website.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭spillit67

bruschi wrote: »
    this isnt a GAA event, so it wont be on the hook for anything, nor will they be flogging tickets to clubs. It was a marketing exercise and the operators of the game will be the ones on the hook for anything. The GAA rented out a venue, at presumably a fixed cost, and thats about it. If they sold 10,000 or 80,000 it wouldnt effect them, the promoters of the event just have their margin adjusted accordingly. I'm sure the Aviva was also considered, but have to assume that the promoters of the vent saw the higher capacity of Croke Park and thought they could get more on the additional 30,000 capacity available.

What are you on about, this is a GAA event.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

spillit67 wrote: »
    What are you on about, this is a GAA event.:confused:

Ya their marketing of the game seems to suggest it is a GAA run event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Think it was posted earlier in the thread but there's a nice backstory to the UCF kicker.

http://www.ucfknights.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/sean_galvin_749725.html

I just hope they don't try and fleece us with the program prices like they did for the Navy/ND game. I normally buy the program of most sports events I go to but at that game it was ridiculously priced so I walked away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I just hope they don't try and fleece us with the program prices like they did for the Navy/ND game. I normally buy the program of most sports events I go to but at that game it was ridiculously priced so I walked away.

Well then you missed out on a lovely article by Enda Kenny all about the Gathering and how much we're looking forward to gouging all of these Americans for every penny they have. You also missed out on an explanation of the rules of AF, and last but not least, a bunch of information about Notre Dame and Navy that a cursory search on Wikipedia could have told you.

Your loss, man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Picked mine up for a bargain ten euro. Yours for only €20 ex postage. The extra charge is for the Carrolls of O'Connell St adverts but when you read them you'll realise €20 was a steal. Quick, bite my hand off before someone else does...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Drunkenly bought two tickets for myself and my mate last night for the Hill. Good times. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Anyone know how I can get a code for the teams fans sections please?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭fibix

My two friends and myself are going as well, we decided today we'll be supporting UCF for the crack:) Which seats would be the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭noler123

Does anyone know how long this will go on for? Staying in Dublin for the night and want to book somewhere for dinner so just looking for a rough idea. Thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

noler123 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how long this will go on for? Staying in Dublin for the night and want to book somewhere for dinner so just looking for a rough idea. Thanks :)

Game is about 3-3.5 hours long so you should be leaving the stadium by 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭noler123

3.5 hours!! Holy moly! Thought it would be about 1.5 hours for some reason. As you can probably tell i know nothing about it, got herself tickets for her birthday. Sitting in the Hogan upper so apparently ill be supporting UCF! Thanks johnmcdnl :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

noler123 wrote: »
    3.5 hours!! Holy moly! Thought it would be about 1.5 hours for some reason. As you can probably tell i know nothing about it, got herself tickets for her birthday. Sitting in the Hogan upper so apparently ill be supporting UCF! Thanks johnmcdnl :)

3.5 is the long end of the scale of there was overtime but 3 hours is standard length for a game of American football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Any word on the Penn Manor Comets and Cedar Cliff Colts game in UCD?

Can anyone wander over for a looksee or will it be ticketed?

connundrum wrote: »
    Any word on the Penn Manor Comets and Cedar Cliff Colts game in UCD?

Can anyone wander over for a looksee or will it be ticketed?

Where I'm UCD is it on? If it's in the Bowl they could ticket it, otherwise you could assume it's free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭brick tamland

This isnt under threat will all this Garth Brooks/Residents messing is it. I wonder is an american football game outside the agreement?

This isnt under threat will all this Garth Brooks/Residents messing is it. I wonder is an american football game outside the agreement?

no the issue is with multiple garth brooks concerts being classified as 1 event. there is 3 non gas events taking place garth brooks, one direction and as far as i know this game is the 3rd so its safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

As well as that, the football game was the first to be confirmed by a pretty wide margin so it shouldn't be the one that has to be called off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Just bought some tickets for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Where I'm UCD is it on? If it's in the Bowl they could ticket it, otherwise you could assume it's free.

No idea tbh, info on the match could hardly be more scarce?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

The game between Penn Manor and Cedar Cliff is on in the UCD Bowl as per thescore.ie. Kick-off is at 7pm. I remember the high school games that were on around the time of the Notre Dame vs. Navy game were ticketed (at least in Páirc Tailteann anyway) so I wouldn't be surprised that it'll be ticketed at UCD too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,969 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

some half price tickets, deal till tomorrow, link for the original thread on bargain alerts link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

2smiggy wrote: »
    some half price tickets, deal till tomorrow, link for the original thread on bargain alerts link

Sales must be quite poor if they're resorting that that with about seven weeks to go.

I got the cheapest tickets myself so I can't really complain, but for those that shelled out a significant amount of money on their tickets well in advance, that half price offer must be galling.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I paid €50 for my tickets, again I'm happy enough as I got in early and managed to get the very front row up the upper tier, which is pretty much exactly what I wanted, but it doesn't bode well that they are flogging them half price already.

Hope they get 50,000 plus anyway or else the atmosphere will be dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,969 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

hopefully it sells well. might just that they (ticketmaster etc) may need a cash injection quickly due to the refunds they look like they will be paying out for the cancelled concerts soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Still think this has been horribly misjudged. Croke Park is way too big, and opening the Hill was another disaster. 30,000 max at this I'd think.

• Advertisement

SantryRed wrote: »
    Still think this has been horribly misjudged. Croke Park is way too big, and opening the Hill was another disaster. 30,000 max at this I'd think.

I fear the same. Maybe not as low as 30 but even with 40-50,000, Croke Park still looks cavernous. And the American Football dimensions on that huge pitch as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

2smiggy wrote: »

Damn, I missed this, would have definitely snapped up my tickets using it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Not sure if ill be around for this but I am finding it quite funny when most of the ads that ive seen have been calling UCF one of the biggest names in college football!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

frostie500 wrote: »
    Not sure if ill be around for this but I am finding it quite funny when most of the ads that ive seen have been calling UCF one of the biggest names in college football!

Got to love marketing folk :) Will say though working in the industry I can see why they would try push one of the teams as one of the biggest teams in College football. Play on the weak minded and the uneducated when it comes to football and college ball. Whatever sells tickets I suppose.

frostie500 wrote: »

I also work in marketing and specifically events. Its standard enough practice to big up something to give your event a premium feel to it but I get where you are coming from.

At this stage its not the hardcore AF fans they need to convince its the average joe soaps

Game being advertised as being shown on ESPN Player so it looks like it won't be shown on ESPN/BT like the Notre Dame Navy game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) - UCF fans are anxiously counting down the days for the trip to Baile Átha Cliath, and there will be plenty to do in the city of Dublin to get ready for the Croke Park Classic against Penn State.

All of the following events require no RSVP and are open to the public.

UCF Fan Events in Dublin
    Thursday-Sunday, Aug. 28-31
    Croke Park Classic Fan Zone
    -Each day there will be a fan zone in place providing travelling fans and locals an area to mix and mingle and get behind their chosen teams.

Friday, Aug. 29
    UCF Pep Rally
    http://www.meetinghousesquare.ie/about/gallery
    -Starts at 4 p.m.
    -Appearances by UCF spirit squad, Knightro and Head Coach George O'Leary

Saturday, Aug. 30
    Pregame Tailgate Party
    (Please note, there will not be designated tailgating areas around Croke Park)
    -UCF Location within Temple Bar: The Old Storehouse
    http://www.theoldstorehouse.ie/home.html
    -Starts at 10 a.m. IST
    -Temple Bar will celebrate the Croke Park Classic with UCF and Penn State fans all throughout the streets of Temple Bar. The Old Storehouse will serve as the UCF location for fans to gather before the game. Enjoy live music, drink specials and giveaways.

Getting to the stadium from the Pregame Tailgate Party
    -Dublin Bus will offer a complimentary shuttle service from the Temple Bar district to Croke Park to allow fans to enjoy both the tailgate and the game.
    -Pick-up will be just steps away from The Old Storehouse, UCF's official tailgate headquarters.
    -Walking to the stadium from The Old Storehouse is also practical and encouraged. The walk takes approximately 30 minutes and will pass by many of Dublin's attractions.

Kickoff
    -Gametime set for 1:30 p.m. IST

Tickets for the game are on sale at http://crokepark.ie/

2014 Football Season Tickets: The March to Victory starts with UCF fans. Order season tickets, starting at $99, today online or call 407-UCF-1000. And to learn about the Croke Park Classic check out UCF.CrokeParkClassic.com.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Good stuff. Is there a similar itinerary for Penn State's fans?
    OU812 wrote: »
    ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) - UCF fans are anxiously counting down the days for the trip to Baile Átha Cliath, and there will be plenty to do in the city of Dublin to get ready for the Croke Park Classic against Penn State.

UCF Fan Events in Dublin
    -Each day there will be a fan zone in place providing travelling fans and locals an area to mix and mingle and get behind their chosen teams.

Friday, Aug. 29
    UCF Pep Rally
    -Starts at 4 p.m.

Saturday, Aug. 30
    Pregame Tailgate Party
    -Starts at 10 a.m. IST
    -Temple Bar will celebrate the Croke Park Classic with UCF and Penn State fans all throughout the streets of Temple Bar. The Old Storehouse will serve as the UCF location for fans to gather before the game. Enjoy live music, drink specials and giveaways.

-Dublin Bus will offer a complimentary shuttle service from the Temple Bar district to Croke Park to allow fans to enjoy both the tailgate and the game.
    -Pick-up will be just steps away from The Old Storehouse, UCF's official tailgate headquarters.
    -Walking to the stadium from The Old Storehouse is also practical and encouraged. The walk takes approximately 30 minutes and will pass by many of Dublin's attractions.

Kickoff

2014 Football Season Tickets: The March to Victory starts with UCF fans. Order season tickets, starting at $99, today online or call 407-UCF-1000. And to learn about the Croke Park Classic check out UCF.CrokeParkClassic.com.

Good stuff. Is there a similar itinerary for Penn State's fans?
    OU812 wrote: »

UCF Fan Events in Dublin

Friday, Aug. 29
    UCF Pep Rally
    -Starts at 4 p.m.

Saturday, Aug. 30
    Pregame Tailgate Party
    -Starts at 10 a.m. IST

Kickoff

Going by latest reports (back in mid-June), there was approx 38,000 tickets sold. The capacity is being capped at 70,000. Now you'd imagine that the die hards already have their tickets got, so shifting another 30,000 to casual goers is going to be a hell of a job. Looks like there's going to be a lot of empty seats unfortunately, and that could go against us getting games in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

It does seem that Croker was a poor choice of venue, Aviva would certainly be a better size I wonder is there any chance of them closing the hill and sending those people in to the seats. I have hill tickets with some mates and to be honest if its a poor day weather wise good chance we won't even bother going, tickets were cheap enough that we wouldn't be bothered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

salmocab wrote: »
    It does seem that Croker was a poor choice of venue, Aviva would certainly be a better size I wonder is there any chance of them closing the hill and sending those people in to the seats. I have hill tickets with some mates and to be honest if its a poor day weather wise good chance we won't even bother going, tickets were cheap enough that we wouldn't be bothered.

Flip side of that is think of the people who have paid hand over fist for hogan / cusack tickets as they want to be covered / comfortable.

The ticketing seems to be a bit of a sham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Oh dear, we got seats in the Davin stand, but we are completely ignorant on NFL

on_my_oe wrote: »
    Oh dear, we got seats in the Davin stand, but we are completely ignorant on NFL

Clearly, its not an NFL game :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I got my tickets there at the weekend. Got lower tier around the 10 yard line, 80 was extortionate for 50 yard line tickets to be honest.

I hope they get what they deserve - a crowd that could have fit in the Aviva. In order to get a crowd worthy of staging this in Croker, they needed to price the tickets more reasonably. €50 for 50 yard line should have been the max. By "reasonable" I mean more appealling to the floating punter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Bateman wrote: »
    I got my tickets there at the weekend. Got lower tier around the 10 yard line, 80 was extortionate for 50 yard line tickets to be honest.

I hope they get what they deserve - a crowd that could have fit in the Aviva. In order to get a crowd worthy of staging this in Croker, they needed to price the tickets more reasonably. €50 for 50 yard line should have been the max. By "reasonable" I mean more appealling to the floating punter.

Probably more appropriate to last year's game

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just got a call from ticketmaster, apparently ESPN are covering this game and have decided they want my tickets. I've been offered tickets elsewhere in the ground but I don't feel they are as good.

Feel a bit shafted by the whole thing.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Just got a call from ticketmaster, apparently ESPN are covering this game and have decided they want my tickets. I've been offered tickets elsewhere in the ground but I don't feel they are as good.

Can they do that? Surely they should offer you a seat at least as good or offer some sort of compensation. I'd be pissed off too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

ooooh adrian see what stuff we can get :D

I don't understand. So ESPN want the tickets and therefore they're getting them? You already paid for them, surely you can just say no?

Sent ye both a PM there. I could try just saying no I suppose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement