Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2014 NFL Draft

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Tom Savage is this years Ryan Nassib. Big stupid lookin' arm followed by the words "intriguing prospect".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

franglan wrote: »
    Tom Savage is this years Ryan Nassib. Big stupid lookin' arm followed by the words "intriguing prospect".

Ryan Nassib makes me sad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

franglan wrote: »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/24/bills-fear-jets-will-take-ryan-nassib/
    If Bills coach Doug Marrone loves his old Syracuse quarterback Ryan Nassib as much as everyone says, then it would make sense for Buffalo to pick Nassib with the No. 8 overall pick in the draft. But no one else seems to love Nassib as much as Marrone does, which might suggest that the Bills could trade down from No. 8 and get Nassib late in the first round, or even take Nassib with their second-round pick.

The problem, however, is that the Bills are worried that a team in their own division may quietly love Nassib just as much as they do.

That team is the Jets: According to Sal Paolantonio of ESPN, Buffalo believes the Jets are seriously interested in Nassib, and the Bills fear that if they don’t draft Nassib, they might end up facing him twice a year.

I don't think I can handle another two weeks of this stuff like the above from last year. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Report: Former Ohio State CB Bradley Roby arrested for OVI

http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2014/4/24/5650936/former-ohio-state-corner-bradley-roby-arrested-for-ovi

Not the smartest move with less than 2 weeks to the draft

Andrew Brandt on agents roles during the build up to the draft and trust issues with teams:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/24/nfl-draft-agents/
    In the inexorable march between an NFL prospect’s final collegiate game and his name being called during the draft, there is one person guiding him through the process: the agent. Although an agent’s money is made by negotiating the player’s contract, the six months preceding the draft—for which there is no designated compensation—are a crucial period for the player-agent relationship.

The agent is the gateway between the player and the various rungs of NFL decision-makers who will determine the player’s future. And although rookie contract negotiations are now largely predetermined by the new CBA, there are ways beyond the preset contract parameters for the agent to add value. Let’s examine.

Draft prep

Since my time as an agent 15 years ago, players have been committing to representation earlier and earlier. Now, virtually every player is committed by the time the college all-star games begin in mid-January. If one were to show up to the Senior Bowl without an agent, there would be blood in the water: dozens would descend upon him at every turn.

Once signed, agents immediately send players to a facility for full-time physical and mental combine preparation. Agents pay up to $25,000 to facilities like Athletes Performance Institute (API) simply to hold a slot years in advance; having such access is an important recruiting tool. All costs for training and preparation are shouldered by the agent, which often puts him in the red on players who aren’t drafted in the first two rounds.

Agents then follow the player to the combine, tracking his performance from a distance (they are not allowed in the workouts) and providing mental and emotional support. Following the combine, the agent sets a schedule in the run-up to the draft, punctuated by a workout for interested teams and usually with other draft-eligible players at their college facility.

In their dealings with players (and their families) prior to the draft, agents must strike the delicate balance of being upbeat and realistic about the player’s draft prospects. I have seen agents fired soon after the draft when guarantees of being selected in certain rounds were not met. On the flip side, there are times where an agent telling a client what he needs to hear rather than what he wants to hear can result in him becoming the player’s ex-agent. And of course, there is never a shortage of agents waiting to pounce on newly available clients.

Private eye

As we have seen this spring with prospects such as Johnny Manziel, Teddy Bridgewater and others, some highly rated players perform for scouts and coaches in private workouts, which are arranged by the agent in consultation with the respective schools. I remember assembling a private workout for a quarterback, though the circumstances were a bit different.

In 1998, I represented Boston College quarterback Matt Hasselbeck who, despite my lobbying to have him included, did not receive an invite to the combine. Thus, I thought it important to present Matt to all 32 teams and arranged a private workout at BC. I invited every NFL team, and I received a total of one RSVP to attend, from Andy Reid, then the quarterback coach of the Packers.

Although disappointed by the singular response, I saw an opportunity to spend quality time with Reid, so I offered to pick him up at the airport and drive him to the workout. I had never met Reid before and didn’t know about his considerable size before pulling up at Logan Airport in my sports car. To this day, we still laugh about wedging him into the passenger seat/back seat before setting off to see Matt’s workout.

Reid liked what he saw and shared his list of top three top three quarterbacks that year: Peyton Manning, Ryan Leaf and Matt Hasselbeck. I stayed in touch with Reid through that spring to keep Matt’s name front and center, and I prepared Matt for the possibility that Reid and the Packers presented the best—perhaps only—opportunity to be drafted. And that’s what happened; the Packers selected Matt in the sixth round, although Reid left a year later to become head coach of the Eagles. Peyton and Matt, relics from that 1998 draft, are still going. Leaf, well, not so much.

I do not know if my attention to Reid and continued follow-up helped Matt get drafted, but it certainly didn’t hurt. When I switched to the team side, working in the Packers’ front office, I always noticed agents’ vigilance—or lack thereof—on behalf of their clients, especially lower-rated players.

An advocate

The best agents advocate for players while earning the respect and trust of teams. Agents must know going in that teams always believe they have all the information they need about players, but they must also tactfully update their front office contacts with even slightly new information throughout the protract draft process: medical reports, training regimens, private coaching sessions, etc. Much like a young person trying to get a job, the agent must find the proper balance of being persistent without being a pest.

This is where relationships matter, often forged through the “infrastructure” of team management: assistant coaches, regional scouts, scouting coordinators and even secretaries. Many of today’s top agents skillfully sought out these contacts while championing lower-level players, developing a base of friendships with team employees who would eventually take on greater responsibilities within the organization or at other teams.

I would often ask the people in these roles with the Packers about the agents they encountered, and the answers were quite revealing. Some, they said, were courteous, respectful and always asked questions such as, “What else would you like to see from my player?” Others, sometimes even younger agents still establishing themselves, were dismissive and condescending, preferring only to communicate at higher levels of the organization. We duly noted those behaviors.

Trust

In the NFL, as in any business, people like doing business with people they like and, more importantly, trust. The NFL player business world is a small one; the same group of team executives and agents deal with each other over and over. Reputations, in both directions, become hard to shake.

Although many agents become delusional about their players, who can do no wrong, I respected agents that were realistic about their players. I would often ask them about their client’s weaknesses—though the responses always varied in degrees of honesty. I once asked an agent about his client’s known marijuana use, and he responded by saying, “What can I tell you, he likes weed. I’ve tried to get him to stop but no luck. I don’t think he’ll quit, but it hasn’t affected his performance so far.” While not the best endorsement of his player, I truly appreciated his candor more than that of another who, when asked the same question, answered, “C’mon Andrew, we all smoked pot in college.”

The business of football is about much more than numbers. It is about relationships. Honesty creates trust, and team-agent relationships are paramount.

Which leads to a burning question entering the 2014 draft …

“Can an agent manipulate the system to get a player drafted higher than he otherwise would be?”

The answer is no, but with a slight hedge. Let me explain.

Every team executive at some point over the years has rolled his eyes at agents (or the media, for that matter) for thinking they know more than the team does. Teams commit thousands of man-hours and millions of dollars toward the meticulous compilation of The Board. An agent is going to have a very tough time inserting himself into that process. But, of course, there may be much more subtle value-adds.

For example, teams often approach their pick and assess two or more evenly rated players. Several factors could make a difference at the moment of reckoning: positional need, character, medical history, level of competition and, yes, the agent.

Teams hope for long and productive careers with the players they draft, meaning multiple contract negotiations. If the team feels very comfortable with a certain agent or, uncomfortable with one, who the agent is can make a difference. I have seen it happen and still hear of it happening every year.

Silence

A final note: when I reached out to a few agents to discuss this, including some representing “hot” players who are said to be moving up the rankings, all of them politely declined to speak on the record. With the full-blast draft scrutiny, agents are paranoid about teams seeing anything thazt could negatively affect their client. There now seems to fear among agents to not give the impression that they are even trying to outsmart teams. As one agent representing a top prospect told me, “Anything I say will come across contrived and artificial talking about how we try and influence. Nobody likes the sleazeball agent who tries to manipulate.”

Despite this rare reticence from agents to discuss their work, there may be no more important time in the player’s first four years (the length of his rookie contract) than now. He is the nexus between the 32 NFL teams and the player, his family and other interested parties. So when we see the player hug the agent when his name is called sometime between May 8-10, know that the agent has earned that embrace.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 2m
    At 264 pounds, Jadeveon Clowney scored a 71 on his speed of movement test on the force plate today. Similar score to Devin Hester. ...

Crazy!

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5h
    Teams have been informed differently. RT @TreMason21: @RapSheet this is false and DO NOT need any type of surgery!

Rapoport reported that Mason would need surgery to his wrist and would miss some time, including OTA's. A few minutes later Mason tweets that he hasn't needed any type of surgery, and Rapoport responds that teams are being told differently.

Gotta love social media :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Gruden breaks down the QB class on First Take

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Mayock's latest positional rankings came out today.

Of course they're only one man's opinion but I look out for his rankings for more than the likes of McShay, Kiper, Miller or any of the other click merchants.

Some interesting rankings. Manziel is still his top ranked QB, and he has Bortles, Carr and Garoppolo all ranked above Bridgewater. Kyle Fuller is now his top ranked CB too.

That's his only noticable changes since last time.

• Advertisement

I agree, I'd always look out for Mayock's stuff first.

I can see why he'd have Manziel above Bridgewater, though I personally wouldn't myself, but how he can have Bortles, Carr and Garoppolo above Bridgewater is beyond me. I think he's put a bit too much stock in the pro-days and allowed himself to start doubting what he had initially seen on tape because of it.

Brigewater does almost everything needed from a NFL QB better than the others on tape. He's also on another level in terms of the stuff that can't really be taught. Reading blitzes, manipulating defenses etc. Easy choice for me to have Bridgewater #1 QB.

What are all your top 5 rankings on the QB's lads? I go:

1) Bridgewater

---Big Drop

2) Carr
    3) Manziel
    4) Bortles
    5) Mettenburg

They're the main guys for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Kyle Fuller is now his top ranked CB too.

That's his only noticable changes since last time.

Hope he's right, my 66/1, would be a nice winner. (16/1 still available and Gilbert 4/9 so still looking unlikely).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I reckon he knows something we don't know, I can't imagine he'd allow himself to be swayed solely on his pro day.
    Paully D wrote: »

I can see why he'd have Manziel above Bridgewater, though I personally wouldn't myself, but how he can have Bortles, Carr and Garoppolo above Bridgewater is beyond me. I think he's put a bit too much stock in the pro-days and allowed himself to start doubting what he had initially seen on tape because of it.

Brigewater does almost everything needed from a NFL QB better than the others on tape. He's also on another level in terms of the stuff that can't really be taught. Reading blitzes, manipulating defenses etc. Easy choice for me to have Bridgewater #1 QB.

1) Bridgewater

---Big Drop

2) Carr
    3) Manziel
    4) Bortles
    5) Mettenburg

Kiper reporting that after speaking to several teams, Lewan is ranked better than Matthews and he expects him to be a top six pick.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9398/taylor-lewan
    After talking to "several NFL clubs," ESPN's Mel Kiper stated Monday that he expects Michigan OT Taylor Lewan to be a top-six pick in May's draft.
    Think what you want about Kiper as a "talent evaluator;" he's one of the most accurate mock drafters in media, posting a top-five cumulative mock score on The Huddle Report over the past five years. Kiper believes Greg Robinson is the No. 1 tackle on most teams' boards, Lewan is No. 2, and Jake Matthews is No. 3. "If he doesn’t go (No. 2 to St. Louis)," Kiper said of Lewan, "he could go to Oakland at five, definitely to Atlanta at six. I don’t think he gets past six."

I was hoping he might drop to the Ravens with Matthews and Robinson going before him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Judging by his Mayocks history with QB's having Manziel first is a pretty bad omen for Johnny's career.

Cracking article on how to create a respectable NFL mock draft. It's a bit too long to copy and paste but here's the link, contributions from McShay, Kiper etc. Well worth a read:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20140428/nfl-mock-draft-how-to/

On another note, the above article makes reference to keeping a mock draft ranking. The top five from that ranking are below:

95ac202f382d815ab8a08bc4fe616c04.png

An interesting point is that the most accurate draft gurus can "only" match around 10 or 11 picks to the correct team, but get around 27 of the first round guys correct. Just proves how difficult it is for those outside teams to know what is going to happen on draft day.

Boris doesn't release his mock draft until the day of the draft.
    McGinn doesn't release his mock until during draft week.
    Standig's mock is available here
    Kadar's mock is available here
    Kiper's mock is available here (ESPN Insider access needed to view full mock)

And a cracking read from the aforementioned McGinn on the scouting buzz around Peyton Manning prior to the 1998 draft:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/peyton-manning-defied-some-predictions-b99190928z1-241988471.html

• Advertisement

1) Bridgewater

---Big Drop

2) Carr
    3) Manziel
    4) Bortles
    5) Mettenburg

I'd take Manziel off the list personally. Agree with Bridgewater 1 and the big drop off. I'd probably add Fales to the list at 5.

Good Christ, another 10 days of this shit:

1c50b6f6f90062e907b1465293f4f876.png

Can we just hibernate for ten days or collectively build a time machine. What you get from that Clowney/Manziel match-up is that Johnny will be milled if he extends plays with his feet a little bit too much in the Pros. He played hurt towards the end of his college career and that's a shorter schedule. I'd have serious durability concerns drafting Johnny for a 16+ game season.

I'm waiting for articles like

Why Bridgewater will be a success in the NFL............. as a WideReceiver

Why McCarron will be better than Brady

Tom Savage as the No.1 overall pick, not as crazy as it sounds

Bill Belichek is actually not part of the Dark Side (probably the hardest one to believe ;) )

only 8 days left i should be more excited than i am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

only 8 days left i should be more excited than i am

They dragged the arse out of it this year, bit of draft fatigue setting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Anyone else book the Friday May 9th off work due to staying up for the draft :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nope, I'll be hungover and half asleep on my bosses time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Am I right in saying NFL network's coverage of the Draft was free last year on Gamepass?

Pre draft conferences can be lies and smokescreens

Ozzie Newsome Baltimore GM looking to draft a late round QB as current backup Tyrod Taylor is in the last year of his deal

I doubt they draft a QB before the 5th round but it probably will happen

Just need to find a gem is all

I can't wait for it now, I'm really looking forward to it.

The only thing I dislike about draft night is having to stay off social media during it as there's always a few media guys who have to try and show off by telling people the pick a few seconds before it happens, even though there was an agreement in the media I think. NFL Network ruined the #1 pick announcement last year FFS :pac:

Hopefully there'll be a gentleman's agreement between us on here not to spoil the picks either. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

The only thing I dislike about draft night is having to stay off social media during it as there's always a few media guys who have to try and show off by telling people the pick a few seconds before it happens, even though there was an agreement in the media I think. NFL Network ruined the #1 pick announcement last year FFS :pac:

Hopefully there'll be a gentleman's agreement between us on here not to spoil the picks either. :)

Was it last year or the year before that Mike Mayock was there with his crystal ball and explanation prior to every pick (when he's clearly been told who is being picked in his ear)? That was really really annoying.

Agree with that, no point spoiling it. Mayock threw out a few of the picks a minute or two before they were announced which was annoying

Was it last year or the year before that Mike Mayock was there with his crystal ball and explanation prior to every pick (when he's clearly been told who is being picked in his ear)? That was really really annoying.

Snap, it was last year

Rich Eisen on NFL Network pushed hard to stop showing the drafted players on their mobile phones before the pick was announced.

And he succeeded

I don't remember Mayock with spoilers but I'd say that wont happen again

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Pre draft conferences can be lies and smokescreens

Ozzie Newsome Baltimore GM looking to draft a late round QB as current backup Tyrod Taylor is in the last year of his deal

I doubt they draft a QB before the 5th round but it probably will happen

Just need to find a gem is all

He said we were trying to move up last year as well as a player he liked kept on dropping. Any ideas who? I was looking through the players that seemed to fall a bit last year but can't put my finger on it. I was thinking maybe Eric Reid before the 49ers got in there but I don't think he fell at all at #18 really.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Agree with that, no point spoiling it. Mayock threw out a few of the picks a minute or two before they were announced which was annoying

Yep, he was doing my head in. I was delighted and very smug when he got the Dolphins pick trading up to #3 to take Jordan and not Johnson as Mayock thought though :pac:

He'll probably be at it this year too. The NFL, NFL Network and ESPN came to an agreement that they would not spoil the picks visually (eg, showing a draft pick on the phone) but have not stopped on-air people making "predictions."
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    Rich Eisen on NFL Network pushed hard to stop showing the drafted players on their mobile phones before the pick was announced.

And he succeeded

I don't remember Mayock with spoilers but I'd say that wont happen again

They did inadvertently spoil the first pick though. They had Fisher on camera and his phone lit up :pac: Not really their fault though so I'll let them away with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

infacteh wrote: »
    Am I right in saying NFL network's coverage of the Draft was free last year on Gamepass?

Yeah, it was. Hoping they do the same again this year rather than searching through dodgy streams.
    Will probably advertised on their site in the coming days, if they are giving out free gamepass again.

They may as well make it free since their Week 1 to Week 17 game pass package spluttered, froze and crashed every week!! :mad:

They did inadvertently spoil the first pick though. They had Fisher on camera and his phone lit up :pac: Not really their fault though so I'll let them away with that.

The 1st pick doesn't bother me as usually it is known the day before the draft (Clowney to Texans is a lock IMO)

il be watching nfl network anyway i love that they petitioned to keep the draft picks a surprise it made last years draft a lot better and it should be better again this year late first to early 4th should be very very hard to call this year.

also rich eisen is possibly my favorite sports presenter so theres that.

Sammy Watkins' tweets over the last couple of days:

0e7192f801a1e919a59d5aeb703d81a9.png

2acd1b96ab5b0e1b7264a8f732a7040c.png

06115f8e4ce0d8118517d4fed1d29c50.png

You'd imagine the Cali visit would be for the Raiders at #5, but considering the 49ers have a mountain of draft picks in the near future and Watkins is talking about a team trading up for him outside the top 10, maybe? You'd also expect the Raiders to have met with him sooner than a week before the draft too considering they pick so early.

There's been plenty of talk about the 49ers wanting to move right up in this draft and they're searching for a WR too.

It's unlikely, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Don't think the 49ers would trade up that far, but there are rumours they have an arrangement with Baltimore to move up for OBJ if he is still there when Baltimore pick.

Not convinced on that but a lot more believable than moving up to number 5.

comes from the same source that was talking up SF taking Eric Reid last year.

The Falcons gave up 2 firsts, a second and 2 fourths to move from 27 to 6 for Julio Jones.

If the niners want to move from 30 to the top 5 they will have to pay dearly

I could definitely see the Ravens trading from 17 down to 30 as per Adrian's post ^^^

Pick up Morgan Moses, offensive tackle :)

• Advertisement

HigginsJ wrote: »
    The 1st pick doesn't bother me as usually it is known the day before the draft (Clowney to Texans is a lock IMO)

Yeah, that's true. I was a bit disappointed last year as I didn't know whether it would be Fisher or Joeckel for sure though.

Clowney's gone down to 8/11 to be #1 now. He was 6/4 a few weeks ago. I think I recall a couple of posters saying they got on him at 6/4 so if you're one of them best of luck with it mate :)

I agree I think he's going to go #1 now too. I'd still take Bridgewater over him if I were Houston though. Clowney's a beast, going to be a great player in the NFL, but they had the player who should have been defensive player of the year and was head and shoulders above anyone on the defensive side of the ball last year in JJ Watt and they finished with 2 wins. They need a QB and Teddy's the best of the bunch by a distance.

I could end up looking very foolish in a couple of seasons time with my championing of Bridgewater, but whoever gets him will reap the rewards in the near future if not straight away IMO.

There were no spoilers on NFL network last year, it was the year before that happened. There was a general agreement last year not to spoil picks on air or on social media.

Jason LaConfora was one guy who refused to abide by the agreement and posted up picks on twitter. So yeah, avoid twitter etc if you don't want to know in advance.

I follow on twitter but only scroll up to see tweets about 10 mins old, still a risky strategy though.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Don't think the 49ers would trade up that far, but there are rumours they have an arrangement with Baltimore to move up for OBJ if he is still there when Baltimore pick.

Not convinced on that but a lot more believable than moving up to number 5.

comes from the same source that was talking up SF taking Eric Reid last year.

Bit disappointing from a Ravens point of view that. I'd rather we took Beckham Jr ourselves if he's there at #17.

Out of realistic options who may fall to that position, if Lewan, Ebron, Clinton-Dix or Beckham Jr are there I'd want us to take one of them instead of trading back. Though I guess the Ravens might think they can snag a safety like Pryor or Ward by trading back and gaining an extra pick or two in such a deep draft.

Sammy Watkins' tweets over the last couple of days:

0e7192f801a1e919a59d5aeb703d81a9.png

2acd1b96ab5b0e1b7264a8f732a7040c.png

06115f8e4ce0d8118517d4fed1d29c50.png

You'd imagine the Cali visit would be for the Raiders at #5, but considering the 49ers have a mountain of draft picks in the near future and Watkins is talking about a team trading up for him outside the top 10, maybe? You'd also expect the Raiders to have met with him sooner than a week before the draft too considering they pick so early.

There's been plenty of talk about the 49ers wanting to move right up in this draft and they're searching for a WR too.

It's unlikely, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

The 49ers really have no choice but to trade up considering that they have 11 picks in the draft. 2 choices in the 2nd and 3 in the 3rd (one comp pick that can't be traded)

If memory serves me correctly the Raiders only received the Dolphins 2nd rounder to drop from 3 to 12 last year. If the 49ers offered their 1st rounder, both seconds and a 3rd I'd take it if I were Reggie McKenzie.

Yeah, that's true. I was a bit disappointed last year as I didn't know whether it would be Fisher or Joeckel for sure though.

Clowney's gone down to 8/11 to be #1 now. He was 6/4 a few weeks ago. I think I recall a couple of posters saying they got on him at 6/4 so if you're one of them best of luck with it mate :)

I agree I think he's going to go #1 now too. I'd still take Bridgewater over him if I were Houston though. Clowney's a beast, going to be a great player in the NFL, but they had the player who should have been defensive player of the year and was head and shoulders above anyone on the defensive side of the ball last year in JJ Watt and they finished with 2 wins. They need a QB and Teddy's the best of the bunch by a distance.

I could end up looking very foolish in a couple of seasons time with my championing of Bridgewater, but whoever gets him will reap the rewards in the near future if not straight away IMO.

Betting on those sorts of things is not my cup of tea.

I'm 100% with you on Teddy, teams will regret passing on him for a long time

adrian522 wrote: »
    There were no spoilers on NFL network last year, it was the year before that happened. There was a general agreement last year not to spoil picks on air or on social media.

Jason LaConfora was one guy who refused to abide by the agreement and posted up picks on twitter. So yeah, avoid twitter etc if you don't want to know in advance.

I follow on twitter but only scroll up to see tweets about 10 mins old, still a risky strategy though.

As pointed out there were definitely "subtle" spoilers last year from Mayock, it was cringe. A few times times he was asked who he thought the pick was before it was announced and then he'd say "Well it could be X,Y,Z" and then they moved to the other panelist and before the pick Mayock would but in with "It could also be X as well" and then X would get announced.

• Advertisement

I've seen a few people say that ESPN don't even 'not-so-subtly' give away the picks like Mayock does on NFL Network, so they might be worth a try this year.

The EJ Manuel pick was a perfect example of it. Mayock spent five minutes talking about Smith/Nassib, then he obviously had a word in his ear and suddenly switched to Manuel before congratulating himself after the pick :pac:

One of my posts from that night on Mayock revealing picks:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84335520&postcount=1263

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

He said we were trying to move up last year as well as a player he liked kept on dropping. Any ideas who? I was looking through the players that seemed to fall a bit last year but can't put my finger on it. I was thinking maybe Eric Reid before the 49ers got in there but I don't think he fell at all at #18 really.

Shariff Floyd by any chance?

Those Watkins comments don't surprise me, but would still turn me off him a little. Surely agents can do their job well enough to keep the players off twitter for 2 weeks.

Have a nice bit invested now in the drafted between clowney at 6/4, manziel to go before teddy and mccarron (39.5) and sam (79.5) over draft positions from a few months back. All looking rosy so far. One I missed out on was Jeremy Hill to be the first RB taken at 28s. 10s now. I'll consider taking the 21/10 Manziel first QB with Boyles tomorrow

Mayock now has Jimmy Garropollo and Mettenberger ahead of Bridgewater! I can't see either of those two going in the first round. So Mayock thinks Teddy is a secound round pick? I still believe Bridgewater will be drafted in the top 10 and most probably a lot higher than that. He has been the nailed on number 1 QB on the majority of draft boards for the past year. Ok he had a poor pro-day but I would think this equates to 10% of the overall evaluation process. The guy is NFL ready and even with talk of his physical stature and awful pro-day there's no comparison between taking him and say, Bortles. I have no idea how Manziel does in the NFL, think he'll take too may big hits. I know he has improved as a pocket passer since his freshman year - just think they're are too many variables to pick him as your number 1 QB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Personally I haven't got caught up in the draft buzz like previous years. I agree that they just dragged it out too much this year. It was fine the way it was and changing it has just ruined it for me. I'll probably started getting excited about it midweek though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

If anything, the whole Bridgewater media drop should show you much of a sheep the majority of these writers are. Up to a month/six weeks, everyone was proclaiming Bridgewater as the best QB. It wasn't even in question with 99% of writers. Suddenly, one or two people started dropping him because of a pro day. All of a sudden, practically everyone is pointing out his flaws and how they rank others ahead of him.

It's bullshít, too many writers are afraid of their rankings being proved wrong. They want their top 5 QBs to be taken in that order in the draft so they can "toldyaso" everyone. Where were these concerns you had about Bridgewater back in March? After 3 years worth of game tape, are you seriously telling me that you've only spotted these concerns in the final couple of weeks before the draft, and it's a coincidence that all these so-called draft experts have as well?

It's a joke. Mayock's analysis of prospects might be better than anyone else, but he's as guilty as any of adjusting his ranking so as not to get his order of picks wrong. This gap between when the draft should have taken place and next weekend has done no favours for anyone. Apart from inexplicable risers like Garoppolo and Savage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement