Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bridezilla Stories

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Tarzana wrote: »
    Shouldn't that be motherzilla-of-the-bride?

:D

Mothra of the bride

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭NewMrs2b

Oh another one I thought of, a girl went to a wedding in a short beige dress and would have been good friends with the Bride. She called over after the wedding to see the photo's and the bride had her dress changed green! I would be mortified asking a photog to do that!

You prob wouldn't have noticed her half as much in the beige but with the green ya couldn't miss it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Mothra of the bride

I'm thanking this because I totally get jokes.

I don't get this one. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I'm thanking this because I totally get jokes.

I don't get this one. :o

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_vs._Mothra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think he means "Madra of the Bride" :p

Edit: nope! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

tishandy wrote: »
    # Bride wanted her hair down and bridesmaids hair up. Que one bridesmaid with beautiful long hair that she was obviously very proud of , arguing half an hour with bride and hairdresser that she wanted her hair down too. Bride pleading with her that she could let it down after the dinner but no the bridesmaid locked herself in loo and cried and wailed like a baby until the bride relented.

But, isn't that bad behaviour on the part of the BM? (Would that be "Bridezilla-maid" or "Bridemaidzilla"?) Locking yourself in the loo and wailing sounds even more spoiled than the bride's insistence on the hairstyle.
    Mumzillas is what I call them! :D

I had an Asian wedding once..........

OK. I snapped when she asked me to fetch her bag, which was right opposite her, whilst I was holding pins for the hairdresser to put up the bride's hair.

The groom tried to bully me into letting them have fireworks, saying it was all sorted with the Venue Manager. I knew nothing was in the booking and told him that. He tells me he's going to have me fired. OK. But you're still not getting fireworks, and you have to be out of here by 12.30. Nasty little man. Typical 'short man' syndrome...

For a minute I thought you were a BM at this wedding. I know where I'd have stuck the pins.

*Yes, it's true. I only discovered this board because of the deleted bridesmaidgate thread. I decided to stay.

But, isn't that bad behaviour on the part of the BM? (Would that be "Bridezilla-maid" or "Bridemaidzilla"?) Locking yourself in the loo and wailing sounds even more spoiled than the bride's insistence on the hairstyle.

That's what she's saying. I made the same mistake as you. The post was actually her pointing that people other than the bride can be divas!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

That's what she's saying. I made the same mistake as you. The post was actually her pointing that people other than the bride can be divas!

Oops.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

Re: Mum-zillas... Dear Lord they are the worst breed.

I once had a mother of groom approach me as I was playing some entrance music for guests right before a ceremony. Had a list of the typical tunes-we all know them. Air on a G String, Gymnopedie, etc etc. Anyway, up rocks mumzilla to the gallery and I thought she was approaching for a chat as some mums do. Anyway, she proceeded to pick up and look through all my folders of music (including the one from which I was playing!!) whilst shaking her head and tutting/sighing and then, this immaculately dressed vision of grace shouted in my face: "You've no trad and you call yourself a musician... we don't want your classical sh**e here" then threw both folders on a pew and walked down the stairs back to her seat.

I then played Tabhair Dom do Lamh at a very slow pace just to bug her.

That's as bad as it gets for me personally. But I could have swung for her.. >:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Friend of mine was told she was going to be asked to be bm except "x has a car"

Poor x was the brides chauffeur every Saturday for a year, going on dress appointments, venue appointments, every kind of appointment you can imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

amdublin wrote: »

Poor x was the brides chauffeur every Saturday for a year, going on dress appointments, venue appointments, every kind of appointment you can imagine.
    I bet you your friend was glad she couldn't drive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

It's for stories like on this thread I decided my bridesmaids could pick their own dresses shoes and hair. (I could nearly have had my own bridezilla moment though when the woman in the shop kindly pointed out she had never met anyone with three size 8 bridesmaid .. feckers!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

At my sisters wedding :
    So we have a nutter of an aunt and cousin. No one was speaking to them the year of the wedding but they got the obligatory invite because otherwise there would have been war. Sister didn't even know if she and her daughter were going to turn up- but they did. My aunt in a floor length green dress identical to the BMs! She had gotten the info off my granny under the pretence of NOT wanting to match! Everyone thought she was mental. I mean even the invites we're green. Common sense!
    Worse still was another aunt who had a floor length blue dress on, which was the exact same style as the nutty aunt. She was already mortified when she saw the BM dresses so similar but the same dress as the nutty aunt just topped it! She actually went upstairs and changed into another dress she had. Nutty aunt wandered around telling everyone she was a spare BM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

wow, don't think I've came across any such women. My MIL was at a wedding recently where it turned out she had the same dress as the bridesmaids, so she went and changed after the church, she's such a dear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Had one of our guests wear what could only be considered a wedding dress to our wedding. was completely fcuked up, had several people ask if there was a second wedding going on in the same hotel. Knowing how vain and shallow this person was, it really didn't bother us at all, in fact we still laugh about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Had one of our guests wear what could only be considered a wedding dress to our wedding. was completely fcuked up, had several people ask if there was a second wedding going on in the same hotel. Knowing how vain and shallow this person was, it really didn't bother us at all, in fact we still laugh about it.

Fair play to you.... I would go fu*$ing nuts!!! I don't even know if I will wear white to my wedding but if anyone else shows up in white, they will be going home! It is probably the only time I would go mental about my wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Same girl who had a two day wedding (polish lass) also wore a wedding dress to the second day of her wedding when its normal to wear just a normal party/reception dress. What makes this remarkable is she wore the exact same dress on the second day as the first, but this one was champagne where her wedding day dress was ivory. She really likes wedding dresses LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

ElleEm wrote: »
    Fair play to you.... I would go fu*$ing nuts!!! I don't even know if I will wear white to my wedding but if anyone else shows up in white, they will be going home! It is probably the only time I would go mental about my wedding.

I wasn't in the least bit a bridezilla, my bridesmaids did and wore what they wanted and I just paid... But I would've really CRACKED up if someone showed up to my wedding in a long white/ivory dress! I prob wouldn't have said anything to them... But id be seething...

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Loving these stories, they make me feel like less of a beeatch when I have my own mini Bridezilla moments!

While we're all saints here, would love to hear from anyone who saw themselves veering into a Bridezilla and spotted it or saw themselves do something and felt bad afterwards.

I swore and really thought I'd never have those moments, but have witnessed myself have two so far - one was a strop I threw when we passed by a really tacky hen in town and I said to my sisters/ bms "oh God, thank God, ye aren't planning anything tacky like that for me" and they went all quiet and said what's wrong with that, and I threw a wobbler...they were only winding me up, but I fell right for it!

The other is an internal one, but it's being hurt that my best friend who is breastfeeding has already told me she'll be leaving the wedding at 10pm (she's bringing the baby and the husband) and I know I shouldn't be hurt or annoyed, but I am and can't help it! I haven't expressed it to her though, so it's more an inner bridezilla moment!

I was over browsing on the other well known Irish wedding forum this morning, and there are some serious bridezillas in the making there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

kkcatlou wrote: »
    The other is an internal one, but it's being hurt that my best friend who is breastfeeding has already told me she'll be leaving the wedding at 10pm (she's bringing the baby and the husband) and I know I shouldn't be hurt or annoyed, but I am and can't help it! I haven't expressed it to her though, so it's more an inner bridezilla moment!

If I were you I wouldn't express it to her either. New mammy hormones are crazy and breastfeeding can be an exhausting time.

Not a dig at you at all but I'll never understand brides who think that their bridesmaids have to give up their lives to prepare for the bride's big day. The bridesmaid is the one doing the favour not the other way round.

My fav bridezilla story is of a (distant) friend who saw her chief bridesmaid finally sitting down after the first dance only to go over and yell at her that it wasn't 'resting' time and to go to the car and get flip flops cos the brides feet were sore! Was delighted when the bridesmaid told her to P*ss off!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

Sligo1 wrote: »
    I wasn't in the least bit a bridezilla, my bridesmaids did and wore what they wanted and I just paid... But I would've really CRACKED up if someone showed up to my wedding in a long white/ivory dress! I prob wouldn't have said anything to them... But id be seething...

Is that not bridezilla-ing a little though? If someone turned up in a dress like that at my wedding, my wife would have called them a [rude word] or a moron (depending on which was appropriate), and laughed at / ridiculed them. It certainly wouldn't have caused her to get angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I've really never come close to understanding the mentality of people who do this! If I ever get married I probably would not wear anything resembling a traditional white dress-I think I would be just speechless if somebody else turned up in one.

daveohdave wrote: »
    Is that not bridezilla-ing a little though? If someone turned up in a dress like that at my wedding, my wife would have called them a [rude word] or a moron (depending on which was appropriate), and laughed at / ridiculed them. It certainly wouldn't have caused her to get angry.

Na I wouldn't think so. And I wouldn't have ridiculed them... That's just rude and IMO would have just made me look bad. Would've been very annoyed but would've left it at that... So no IMO defo not bridezillerish at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

I saw a bride give her bridesmaids a roasting from the altar cos someone didn't realise it was their time to go up to do a reading . Can't understand people like that.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think I'd be highly amused. Mainly because they are the ones that look a bit pathetic and desperate and attention seeking.

I've heard of it being done - I'd love to know their logic when choosing the dress to wear, because its bizarre behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I love this thread!!
    My faves so far are the nutty aunt and the bride photoshopping her friends dress :)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My wedding dress was a dusty pink colour so at least if any of my guests had turned up in a while dress it wouldn't have looked so bad. I don't know if I'd have been angry, but I would have been thinking 'wtf??'

That being said, when my SIL got married one of her cousins showed up in a white dress and I overheard a lot of guests talking about how bad mannered it was. In this girl's case, it wasn't simply that she was a bit clueless about wedding etiquette, she'd been a bit of a bitch to my SIL in the run up to the wedding (I reckon it was jealousy) and it was obvious that she chose the white dress deliberately because she knew how much it would annoy the bride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

At least 3 people showed up to my wedding in white or cream and I didn't care one bit. I was much too busy enjoying my day to stress over stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

I feel weird now, I wore a black/white dress to a wedding last week!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,927 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

bee06 wrote: »
    At least 3 people showed up to my wedding in white or cream and I didn't care one bit. I was much too busy enjoying my day to stress over stuff like that.

I don't think it's so much as a ban on that colour (several people wore white to my wedding) it's more people turning up in a dress that could easily be confused with a wedding dress. The wedding I mentioned above with the cousin turning up in a white dress, honestly the dress looked like she bought it in Monsoon Bridal.

I think it's more about the reasoning behind it. Some people might be shopping for a wedding outfit and see one that they like that just happens to be white, but unfortunately there are some weirdos who deliberately buy something bridal looking.

• Advertisement

amandaf675 wrote: »

Black and white is fine, don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭blondie29

There were a few White/Ivory Cream dresses at my wedding but I didn't give a crap! Was too busy enjoying myself.

I suppose it would be different if they were long & bridal type but the above girls had kinda knee length strapless etc.

I see lots White/Cream dresses at weddings nowadays I don't think any one cares anymore. The bride will always stand out.

bee06 wrote: »

White or cream is fine. But a floor length white/ivory dress is ridic. Surely they weren't wearing floor length white dresses to ur wedding? A normal knee length dress etc wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ah yeah, there is a difference between someone wearing a lovely cream /white knee length shift dress, and wearing a floor length, floaty or embelllished lacy white number.

First one is fine, second one is a bit loopers.

This thread is doing things to my head I had a dream I showed up to a wedding in MY wedding dress!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

amdublin wrote: »

This reminded me of the Friends episode when Rachel and Phoebe both want to be Monica's bridesmaid, and at the end Phoebe has a little secret snigger when Monica is telling Rachel all that will be involved :D
    Your friend dodged a bulletzilla there!

I've never seen someone turn up in a would-be wedding dress, but can only imagine people feeling sorry for them, more than anything else. They wouldn't outshine the bride, and would just look silly, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭ronjo

Na I wouldn't think so. And I wouldn't have ridiculed them... That's just rude and IMO would have just made me look bad. Would've been very annoyed but would've left it at that... So no IMO defo not bridezillerish at all...

No way, it would make them look bad not the bride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

the exact same happened us, my husbands sister in law wore the actual top off her wedding dress with a white skirt to our wedding (she got married to my husbands brother two months previous to us)
    Neyite wrote: »
    I think I'd be highly amused. Mainly because they are the ones that look a bit pathetic and desperate and attention seeking.

I've heard of it being done - I'd love to know their logic when choosing the dress to wear, because its bizarre behaviour.

the only logic we could figure out (as she has avoided us as much as we avoid her since) is that she was insanely jealous of us, her other behaviour in the lead up to the two weddings confirmed this to us and his family who were taken aback by her (and her mothers) awful behaviour.
    Toots wrote: »
    My wedding dress was a dusty pink colour so at least if any of my guests had turned up in a while dress it wouldn't have looked so bad. I don't know if I'd have been angry, but I would have been thinking 'wtf??'

That being said, when my SIL got married one of her cousins showed up in a white dress and I overheard a lot of guests talking about how bad mannered it was. In this girl's case, it wasn't simply that she was a bit clueless about wedding etiquette, she'd been a bit of a bitch to my SIL in the run up to the wedding (I reckon it was jealousy) and it was obvious that she chose the white dress deliberately because she knew how much it would annoy the bride.

you are spot on i think, on the day my husband and i were asked by the staff did we want her thrown out but we didn't want to give her the drama she so desperately craved, and continued to ignore her and enjoy our day but it has (obviously) been discussed since then and the consensus is the same amongst everyone talking about it, sometimes we do tend to wonder does she even know how much she had her inlaws saying about her behind her back (as they tend to be all nicey nicey to her face)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

amandaf675 wrote: »

Eh? I wore a very nice black and white dress to my friend's wedding a couple of years ago. I've got another wedding coming up, and guess what? I'll be recycling the dress!! :D I'll be wearing a beautiful hot pink pashmina to dress it up a bit, and I'll probably have different shoes and bag as well.

You couldn't mistake ME for the bride!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

I'm loving this thread. Keep the stories coming. Does anyone else love 'Bridezilla' the tv show ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I used to watch it in the beginning, but now find it boring. Most of the brides 'stories' are put-up jobs...

I am hooked on 'Say yes to the dress' some of the families are WAY too opinionated on the dress some of the comments I couldn't believe!!

hoodwinked wrote: »
    the exact same happened us, my husbands sister in law wore the actual top off her wedding dress with a white skirt to our wedding (she got married to my husbands brother two months previous to us)

the only logic we could figure out (as she has avoided us as much as we avoid her since) is that she was insanely jealous of us, her other behaviour in the lead up to the two weddings confirmed this to us and his family who were taken aback by her (and her mothers) awful behaviour.

you are spot on i think, on the day my husband and i were asked by the staff did we want her thrown out but we didn't want to give her the drama she so desperately craved, and continued to ignore her and enjoy our day but it has (obviously) been discussed since then and the consensus is the same amongst everyone talking about it, sometimes we do tend to wonder does she even know how much she had her inlaws saying about her behind her back (as they tend to be all nicey nicey to her face)

It would make the person themselves look really silly in my opinion. Kinda pathetic or something, wearing a wedding dress to someone else's wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

NewMrs2b wrote: »
    I am hooked on 'Say yes to the dress' some of the families are WAY too opinionated on the dress some of the comments I couldn't believe!!

Love that show!! Randy's wedding rescue isn't up to much though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I was at a wedding where a friend of the bride wore a full length white lace dress and white headpiece. The bride also wore a lace dress so it was a bit confusing for those who didn't know the bride particularly well. I think the guests had more of an issue with it if my wedding was anything to go by, I didn't care who wore what colour.

I can't believe how involved and invested the brides families are on SYTTD. They plan for years and it's all about the princess for a day feeling. I don't get it, its just a dress, it'll end up on the floor when the big day is over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭daveohdave

And never worn again, in most cases.

Mines still in the box since it was cleaned. Haven't even taken it out to look at it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

NewMrs2b wrote: »

Love that show and yes they are way too opinionated but they do bring about 10 people with them sometimes! And there are times when I wish the family would shout NO!! That dress is horrendous - its way too tight, your boobs are hanging out etc etc.

The girl last week already had 3 dresses and was in to buy a 4th as her fiance didn't like the other 3. SO STOP SHOWING HIM THE DRESSES!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Neyite wrote: »
    Ah yeah, there is a difference between someone wearing a lovely cream /white knee length shift dress, and wearing a floor length, floaty or embelllished lacy white number.

First one is fine, second one is a bit loopers.

But wedding dresses come in so many styles these days and short ones are now very popular, this is why I would avoid even a cream or white knee length dress at all costs, if the bride showed up in a shorter length of a more simple nature and mine was close in style I would die so as a rule I just avoid cream/ivory/white dresses of any style just in case of causing any offence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement