Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UTV Connect residential customer base acquired by Vodafone Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

I posted in the VF forum earlier after my conversation on the phone with them as i was told to phone UTV for find out how to return my modem to vodafone!?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭INFODAD

chasm wrote: »
    I posted in the VF forum earlier after my conversation on the phone with them as i was told to phone UTV for find out how to return my modem to vodafone!?

Wow that's crazy. Who's in charge I wonder.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

UTV own the modem though. Not Vodafone. I'd imagine Vodafone isn't taking responsibility for everything - just the customer base.

Sully wrote: »
    UTV own the modem though. Not Vodafone. I'd imagine Vodafone isn't taking responsibility for everything - just the customer base.

The New Modem that i received from VF this morning?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The New Modem that i received from VF this morning?

Sorry I thought it was UTV supplied modem people were on about returning!

• Advertisement

Sorry I thought it was UTV supplied modem people were on about returning!

Lol no the one i received this morning from VF, sorry i should have been more specific.

So forgive me if I seem a little miffed. Utv have been bought over by vodaphone. We get packages today from vodaphone containing our new vodaphone modems. Someone wants to return the said vodaphone modem and rings vodaphone to ask where it should be returned too. vodaphone advises that you will have to ring Utv to return the vodaphone modem. Am I missing something here?

INFODAD wrote: »
    So forgive me if I seem a little miffed. Utv have been bought over by vodaphone. We get packages today from vodaphone containing our new vodaphone modems. Someone wants to return the said vodaphone modem and rings vodaphone to ask where it should be returned too. vodaphone advises that you will have to ring Utv to return the vodaphone modem. Am I missing something here?

If you read my post, you will see that I thought it was the UTV Modems people were looking to return.

Anyway, I am now 100% a Vodafone Customer. Fibre installed today!

3583287836.png

Oh ok my bad. Wow wish I was getting those speeds. Can't see fibre getting to me anytime soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

I Got my modem today would you recommend I ring them to verify my package before I install the modem?

I got my modem today too, rang them just to check if I should go ahead and set it up and was told no, do not set it up until I get a text from Vodafone, telling me that their broadband service was active on my line and I should get this text on or before July 1st. Anyone else get told this ?

• Advertisement

galtee boy wrote: »
    I got my modem today too, rang them just to check if I should go ahead and set it up and was told no, do not set it up until I get a text from Vodafone, telling me that their broadband service was active on my line and I should get this text on or before July 1st. Anyone else get told this ?

No didn't get that. I presume it's a letter if they don't know your mob number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I got my modem last week and the guy came and set it up a few days later. He had to replace the cable from the pole outside going into the house, and also the line inside as well. Both were ancient and on their last legs.

I opted for fibre btw.

All up and running grand now. My house is only 200 m. from the cabinet so I was expecting a bit faster than the 45 mbs. approx download speed and 18 mbs. upload speed. Still, it's much better than previous and I'm ok with it.

Should I be getting nearer 80 mbs. d/load speed seeing as how I have new cables and living near the cabinet?

tippman1 wrote: »
    I got my modem last week and the guy came and set it up a few days later. He had to replace the cable from the pole outside going into the house, and also the line inside as well. Both were ancient and on their last legs.

Was there a charge for this? Often wondered would eircom agreed to doing it.
    I opted for fibre btw.

All up and running grand now. My house is only 200 m. from the cabinet so I was expecting a bit faster than the 45 mbs. approx download speed and 18 mbs. upload speed. Still, it's much better than previous and I'm ok with it.

Should I be getting nearer 80 mbs. d/load speed seeing as how I have new cables and living near the cabinet?

I'm a bit further (by about 100m or so) from the cabinet and hitting close on 90mbs download and 20mbs upload. Check with Vodafone that your profile allows for faster speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Was there a charge for this? Often wondered would eircom agreed to doing it.

Not that I know of. The guy said nothing about it anyway. I always understood anything outside the house was the property of Eircom.

Not sure about the inside cable. Hope there isn't a surprise in my first bill :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

As far as the NTU(Master socket) is eircoms problem. No charges there.

If they ran an extension for VDSL from the NTU thats also usually paid for by the provider. If you get it after the original install you'll pay though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Had problems some months ago with the Master Socket. It was never upgraded as I was not an Eircom customer at the time.

As my speeds were not as they should have been and my provider had Eircom come and replace it.

airuser wrote: »
    Had problems some months ago with the Master Socket. It was never upgraded as I was not an Eircom customer at the time.

As my speeds were not as they should have been and my provider had Eircom come and replace it.

I got mine upgraded free by eircom when I wasn't a customer of theirs. Didn't get charged. Guess it depends on the engineer.

If Eircom CS was as good as their very helpful Engineers they would have a wonderful service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Am I right in thinkingthat the Master socket is the box inside the house which feeds to everything else?
    Mine must be over 30 years old.

Am I right in thinkingthat the Master socket is the box inside the house which feeds to everything else?
    Mine must be over 30 years old.

Correct. If one connected anything to that when Eircom has control of everything in communications. One could have their service terminated. Never happened.

One put in ones own extensions as the options were too expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Correct. If one connected anything to that when Eircom has control of everything in communications. One could have their service terminated. Never happened.

One put in ones own extensions as the options were too expensive

ive box inside the door to which the engineer connected the cable for the eircom lan/phone point.

Jesus just got home and have taken a look at the new modem I got from voda today it's a bit on the big side compaired to my neat little net gear and is not pretty

If you are staying with ADSL broadband, why do we need to change our current modem to the Vodafone one ? Surely any modem, that you can buy over the counter in a computer shop, will work with ADSL ? It does appear that the Vodafone modem will work for both ADSL and Fibre. But unless you upgrade to fibre, why change your existing modem ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Easier than guiding pensioners through changing the pppoe details.

ED E wrote: »
    Easier than guiding pensioners through changing the pppoe details.

Oh so it's easy to change the settings on my existing modem

not impressed with Vodafone at the moment, just checked my speed compared to yesterday and ive lost over 2 mps per second.

Yesterday I was hitting 7mps, this morning just over 5mps.

Will monitor throughout the day, but its not great for 9am.

Also that bleeding flashing on the modem is wrecking my head!

not impressed with Vodafone at the moment, just checked my speed compared to yesterday and ive lost over 2 mps per second.

Yesterday I was hitting 7mps, this morning just over 5mps.

Will monitor throughout the day, but its not great for 9am.

Also that bleeding flashing on the modem is wrecking my head!

All modems flash. Your unlucky that your ones appear to be on the front .. Mine on Sky are on the rear.
    I also have a "Samknows " box connected to the modem and has 4 flashing LEDs , but gets use to it.

What I suggest is to,get the stats from the modem and keep records of that as well.

All modems flash. Your unlucky that your ones appear to be on the front .. Mine on Sky are on the rear.
    I also have a "Samknows " box connected to the modem and has 4 flashing LEDs , but gets use to it.

What I suggest is to,get the stats from the modem and keep records of that as well.

When did you get your modem

So, i finally have a freepost address to return my VF Modem to. Am now awaiting a reply from UTV regarding what procedure i am expected to follow if i wish to switch to a different provider.
    If one good thing has come from this it is that i was planning on switching my mobile phone provider shortly and was seriously considering VF as i was with them for about 10 years in the past.
    After my dealings with them on the phone yesterday and the fact that they would not allow me to keep the €3 discount if i moved to a slightly cheaper, more suitable package i will most definitely not consider them when changing my mobile phone provider!

• Advertisement

When did you get your modem

Got the Samknows in 18th May 2014 and the Sky nearly two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

does vodafone block some kind of ports as i have satellite box which has on demand, access to browser etc and since i changed the login details on my hub from utv to voda it wont work, i have reset both satellite box and hub?

deaglan169 wrote: »
    does vodafone block some kind of ports as i have satellite box which has on demand, access to browser etc and since i changed the login details on my hub from utv to voda it wont work, i have reset both satellite box and hub?

I had this issue with my Sky box, I Used the WPS settings on the router and then pressed the button on the Sky menu for it to find my WPS details. Everything was found except it said Failed for On Demand.

I just unplugged the Sky box, waited 30 seconds and then plugged everything back in.

This time on Demand worked.

"On demand "can be a little temperamental. I am with SKY for all ,BB as well. Found sometimes "on demand "does not connect. So I have to reset. Can take several attempts to reconnect. Really do not know why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

i had to reset box a few times and re-enter all the details again but got it going eventually

Yes, it is a "pain in the butt"..
    Airuser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Required Field

So, i finally have a freepost address to return my VF Modem to. Am now awaiting a reply from UTV regarding what procedure i am expected to follow if i wish to switch to a different provider.

Would you mind sharing that FP address or PMing it to me?

I phoned UTV on 3rd of June to say I did not want to be moved over to Vodafone and was closing the account, after receiving the lovely letter telling me that they were putting me on a more expensive package and taking over our landline service (which wasn't even a part of my UTV package to begin with).

And then received my shiny new modem and Welcome to Vodafone! letter this morning. Phoned UTV again just there and was told my account would definitely be closed from Monday.

Bloke on the phone said Vodafone would be in touch with me about sending back the modem but at this stage I'm anticipating them effing up again...

They posted it on their talk to forum so it should be OK to put it up here

FREEPOST (License ID 586259)
    Fonua
    Unit 2
    77 Furze Road
    Sandyford
    Dublin 15

I have emailed UTV twice and have received no reply from them. Almost 10 years as a customer and this is how they treat ya when they exit the market. I am assuming that as I have my UAN I can just pick a provider and move.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭trurl

I was with UTV for 7+ years, got fibre with them last autumn. So I called them first, if I can move freely, and I was told yes, sure. Based on my experience with Vodafone's customer "service", I decided to go somewhere else (it was also more expensive with less features). I have my TV with Sky, but they can't give me phone and internet becuase my line is already was upgraded to fibre. My other idea was Eircom, but only until I had a look at their prices. I also have Phonewatch, which requires an analogue line - or so I thought, but i can get a GSM module, or just tell the unit not to wait for a dialtone before dialling out.
    So, after all this I signed up with UPC on Friday, I got my modem on Saturday, technician coming out on Monday, and can fill out the form to move my phone away from UTV before Vodafone takes it over. Then I just bring back the modem to Vodafone, they are in the next building to where I work.

What have I lost in the process: my fixed IP address (was 1€ extra per month with UTV), my analogue line and the cheap calls to my dedicated country.
    What have I gained in the process: new hole in the wall (UPC has their own cable), 120 Mbit instead of 70, and got locked in a contract for 18 months.

I don't think I'm in a better position than I was 7 years ago. Progress in technology and competition driving down prices? me @rse.

Truro,

I agree with you. With Sky for BB and Phone. Have a very good phone package with them. ie can call US mobiles for free( family live there) . Moving to any other ISP would cost me money.

Speeds etc may increase, but some moving can cost money

• Registered Users Posts: 30 crocked77

Ok got a call from my parents yesterday that they had received a package from Vodafone. That's when I discovered Vodafone had bought the customer base.

I've had UTV for years but only with unlimted broadband. Vodafone have apparently selected Home Extra which is nice but i don't see how it will work as my parents have Eircom for phone calls and I assume they can't simply take this over or can they??

Being honest the offer they have isn't bad (if I could convince my parents) but even if I wanted to cancel Eircom this would take 30 days where we're paying for both services so it looks like we will change to ericom at least in teh short term but this means my parents will have no internet for a while. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the offer from Eircom?

Does anyone know what the process is for refusing the Vodafone offer is as I assume I must do it tomorrow?

The other problem is I'm out of the country so no support number is useful for me as they are all 1890 which don't work outside Ireland. I sent an email to UTV about 3 months ago asking them for a number but got no response unfortunately.

In general it's a pity as UTV were good especially with support over the years but at the end life goes on.

• Advertisement

Ok now I'm confused.

Eircom Broadband Advanced Unlimited is 50 Euros a month but eFibre Unlimited is 45 Euros a month.

So you pay more for the fact they haven't rolled out eFibre completely and I assume you can't switch to the cheaper package at all. With UTV this was possible as long as your original contract was up. Does anyone know if it is possible with Eircom?

Unfortunately I can't get eFibre Unlimited yet as Efibre is not yet available where my parents at least until august allegedly ( though I usually allow 12 months leeway based on previous experience).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

trurl wrote: »
    What have I gained in the process: new hole in the wall (UPC has their own cable), 120 Mbit instead of 70, and got locked in a contract for 18 months.

I don't think I'm in a better position than I was 7 years ago. Progress in technology and competition driving down prices? me @rse.

So you are getting 120Mb and you reckon you aren't any better off than 7 years ago?

crocked77 wrote: »
    Ok now I'm confused.

Eircom Broadband Advanced Unlimited is 50 Euros a month but eFibre Unlimited is 45 Euros a month.

So you pay more for the fact they haven't rolled out eFibre completely and I assume you can't switch to the cheaper package at all. With UTV this was possible as long as your original contract was up. Does anyone know if it is possible with Eircom?

Unfortunately I can't get eFibre Unlimited yet as Efibre is not yet available where my parents at least until august allegedly ( though I usually allow 12 months leeway based on previous experience).

I signed up online with Eircom the other day. The "standard" price of the packages seems to be €50 but they are running an offer where you get a discount for buying online and a discount for going unlimited, so all packages seem to be €30 for the first 6 months and then €45 thereafter. I worked out that over the 18 month contract period i will be paying the same as i paid UTV. I lose my free evening and weekend UK calls (which i hardly ever used) but i get 30 mins free calls to all mobiles - which i will use.

If you click on the link and scroll down and click on "Other useful information and promotions explained" it explains it better than i have ;)
    https://www.eircom.net/broadband/ngbProductDetails

I signed up online with Eircom the other day. The "standard" price of the packages seems to be €50 but they are running an offer where you get a discount for buying online and a discount for going unlimited, so all packages seem to be €30 for the first 6 months and then €45 thereafter.

Thanks for that but my problem is if you select the NGB unlimited and add your phone number the price goes up from 45 to 50 euros so I'm not sure if I should still do it online and try and correct it over the phone?

Do you know it the 8c mobile phone option is still available as my mother uses that a lot as I don't see it in the options.

Thanks for that but my problem is if you select the NGB unlimited and add your phone number the price goes up from 45 to 50 euros so I'm not sure if I should still do it online and try and correct it over the phone?

Do you know it the 8c mobile phone option is still available as my mother uses that a lot as I don't see it in the options.

That's strange. When you select NGB are you sure it's definitely the unlimited option, I'm sure I added the option for unlimited after for my efibre package.
    I am not sure about the 8c mobile phone option. Was that an add on ? If they still do it, it should be listed in their price list in the small print at the bottom of the page.

That's strange. When you select NGB are you sure it's definitely the unlimited option, I'm sure I added the option for unlimited after for my efibre package.
    I am not sure about the 8c mobile phone option. Was that an add on ? If they still do it, it should be listed in their price list in the small print at the bottom of the page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Azhrei

Did anyone get anything from Vodafone regarding our potential online accounts? You know, where we get to check our bandwith and bills and such?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭styron

Azhrei wrote: »
    Did anyone get anything from Vodafone regarding our potential online accounts? You know, where we get to check our bandwith and bills and such?

It's in the 'Welcome to Vodaphone at Home' booklet that comes with the router: (pg.6) My Vodaphone at Home Self-Care

Registering is easy too. All you need is your email address , home phone number and customer number. You'll find your customer number on your first bill which you'll receive in July. It's usually 8 digits long.

Just head to vodaphone.ie/athomeselfcare, click 'Register now', and enter your details ...

So it's July first my utv router still works it's the so called d day so can someone please tell me what happens next?

So it's July first my utv router still works it's the so called d day so can someone please tell me what happens next?

Of course your utv router works, any router will work unless you move to fibre, then you need a new socket and fibre capable router. All that happened at midnight, was that your account switched to Vodafone and your now on their terms unless you quickly tell them otherwise. My Vodafone router is still in the box and will stay there, until I decide to upgrade to fibre ( my area was fibre enabled only a few weeks ago ).

• Advertisement
Advertisement