Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit in the face whilst cycling!

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭Sir Chops

Used to work with a guy who boasted of going out on Sunday afternoon 'egging' sessions with his mates. They would have a dozen eggs each and score points for hitting cyclists. More for a head shot less for a bike hit. Pretty sick game. "Cyclists don't pay road tax so they're fair game" was the attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'd follow him after work with a bottle full of toilet water. Or something. :mad::mad::mad:

[edit: of course I wouldn't and I don't recommend anyone to do so. The above was just a burst of anger....]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭idiottje

OP: Looks like a nasty wound, and the shock of it must have made your stomach churn.

Last year, I had stones thrown at me by toerags while I was on the tow path alongside Davitt Road. One hit me on the head, nearly knocking me into the Canal. I reported it to Crumlin Garda Station, and for the next few weeks, there was the odd Garda car, and even two foot patrol Guards. Never saw the scobes again. Still though, it is getting warmer and brighter, so I am expecting the next generation of toerags to be out.
    I wear sport glasses all the time since I had a wasp fly into my eyeball (and sting me) many years ago. I don't know if they would stop a mars bar or a spud though. Could even cause more damage I suppose, but it does stop the de-snotting detritus from fast moving street racers. Reading this is making me even more happy I have started wearing a camera..... maybe we all do need to start wearing them to stop this kind of behavior. People still speed, but when they see the camera, they tend to slow down. How many would take a chance if they feel the vast majority of cyclists are wearing cameras????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Sadly the good weather seems to bring the Pond-life out from under the rocks they live in during the winter.
    Though why they seem to be attracted to abuse people on bicycles is beyond me, it because they don't fear being caught as they can just speed away?

Thankfully have not had anything thrown at me, though I tend to look around for the typical sorts of cars which contain these low-lifes, usually 1990's VW Passat's or Audi A4's, or battered looking old Transits.

Though the clowns shouting out at me from there mothers little Honda Jazz was just plain sad...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

Reading the posts a lot of incidents in Dublin but these kind of things are happenings everywhere.I was out with a mate one day and because of the bad road(potholes) I was couple of bike lenghts behind him when someone came up from behind him leaned out the window of a car and poured a full bottle of water over his back ,big roar of laughter couple of lads in the back seat giving the finger and they sped off.Between the potholes and the fright he got he was lucky he didn't come off.But its most annoying to hear these stories .They are an awful lot of jokers out there that wouldn't be so brave on their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Jaysis, I need to stop reading this thread or I'll talk myself out of going for a spin this afternoon.

We should all be reporting these incidents to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Jesus OP that looks nasty, hope your feeling better today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Hope you heal quickly OP!

Reading this thread though makes me wonder if I should invest in some self defence means. A camera is all fine but will probably not stop these druggies. From what I've heard pepper and tear gas sprays are illegal in Ireland. What would be available here that's non-lethal but would give at least a fighting chance in case of an assault?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

marathon50 wrote: »
    Out for a cycle this evening with my brother and the driver of a van coming towards us in the opposite direction leaned out his window and fired a chocolate bar at us, hitting me smack in the face! Dirty scumbag nearly knocked out my teeth. I dont know why someone would do such a stupid thing! Lucky I didn't end up under a car but got such a fright!
    Thats a nasty looking lip no doubt, Karma will return to sting the SOB in question, I just hope that you are able to witness it! I was hit on the back of the head by an apple a wee while ago by some young numpties driving a souped up micra, the car behind them was an unmarked police car. I nearly peed myself laughing when they were pulled over.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I had a full 1L carton of milk thown at me while I was walking through Sandymount one evening.
    Oddly, almost the same thing happened me -- two boys, one perhaps nine and the other perhaps thirteen were standing at the end of a small cul-de-sac in Sandymount, holding two bags of water. I saw them and wasn't quite sure what they were up to.

As I got a bit closer, the younger one chucked his bag at me and the two of them legged up the cul-de-sac and into one of the houses just out of sight. So I knocked on the door of the nearest house, asked the nice lady there which house had two boys matching that description, she gave me the number and I trotted up, banged on the door and after seeing one of the boys hiding behind a chair in the kitchen, had quite a shouty discussion with the maid which included threats of police and possible claims for damage to my (undamaged) mobile phone, GPS and expensive camera which I happened to have on me at the time. Haven't seen the kids since.

Had a stone thrown at me and my kid up by a bunch of druggies on the path up the canal, near Porterhouse North in in Glasnevin when we were both cycling up there one afternoon last year/year before. I reported that one to the gardai immediately and saw a squad car drive past with blues + twos blaring a few minutes later. Not sure if they were investigating my thing or not, but a couple of months later, I did see that the place where the druggies had been hanging around was blocked off with tall railings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Uberbeamerman

Bloggsie wrote: »
    Thats a nasty looking lip no doubt, Karma will return to sting the SOB in question, I just hope that you are able to witness it! I was hit on the back of the head by an apple a wee while ago by some young numpties driving a souped up micra, the car behind them was an unmarked police car. I nearly peed myself laughing when they were pulled over.

You sir have made my day, thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

Sorry to read this OP, awful thing to have happen to you. I was on a train before coming into Skerries and something like a brick hit the window on front of me where a guy was leaning his head on the glass. It literally hit the window exactly where his head was leaning and maybe that stopped the window from breaking. Huge cracks all over the window though.

Also had a bucket of paint thrown over me while I was driving a scooter in Thailand, although that was in celebration of a festival, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I hope you follow this up OP.

I've been 'gobbed on' in traffic. Can you guess the car, oh yes.. a packed Nissan Micra. Four 'men', great amusement, they were itching for a reaction, anything to start off. I did blank face and just cycled on. I felt miserable for the afternoon, really upsetting. You realise that you've probably befriended nicer/more intelligent domestic pets.

Amalgam wrote: »
    I hope you follow this up OP.

I've been 'gobbed on' in traffic. Can you guess the car, oh yes.. a packed Nissan Micra. Four 'men', great amusement, they were itching for a reaction, anything to start off. I did blank face and just cycled on. I felt miserable for the afternoon, really upsetting. You realise that you've probably befriended nicer/more intelligent domestic pets.
    Just note their licence plate and call the Gardai. No need for any direct interaction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Amalgam wrote: »
    [...] a packed Nissan Micra. Four 'men', great amusement, they were itching for a reaction, anything to start off. [...]
    Reminds me of another one up on Dollymount strand perhaps eight/nine years ago when I was attempting to teach the missus to drive on the beach as it used to be before it was closed off.

Anyhow, we'd been buzzed by two of these wankermobiles - guy drives up, skims in front of us, brakes, accelerates off in a cloud of sand and laughter. After the first one, I called the cops and they said they'd send down a squad car. As this was arriving, we continued driving, but the second car buzzed us too, so the missus burst into tears and wanted to go home. So I took over in the driving seat. The squad car then arrived and went after the first car, stopped them, got the lads out and slapped them up against the side of the car and patted them down as we passed by. I gave them a nice friendly wave and took a photo which I can't find.

Anyhow, as we were leaving the beach, the second car came after me and tried to skim me, not realizing that I'd taken over driving and seen them coming in the mirror, so I drove at such an angle and speed as they'd crash into the speed limit sign which they couldn't see as I was driving to hide that too. Anyhow, complicated driving calculations aside, they whizzed in front of me, suddenly saw the sign and had to brake and steer hard to avoid it. They then sat on my front-left bumper, the four of them making a range of obscene gestures in my general direction. So I pointed at the back of the car, made the sign for a small dick (thumb and forefinger pinching close to each other), then pointed at my own 2.5 liter car and took my hands off the steering wheel for a sec, hands gesturing about a foot apart. Then made the sign for a wanker, pointing at the driver. The missus got the joke and almost wet herself laughing, the two lads in the back of the other car saw her laughing, got the joke, slapped their own driver in the head and made the **** gesture to him, he turned around, wound down his window, gave me the finger and drove off as fast as his silly little one liter engine would take him. Took me a few minutes to stop laughing.

Ok, perhaps you had to be there, but we one that one hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Can you claim off their insurance if you're injured?

I don't see why not. If you manage to get the registration plate, the Gardai should be able to provide driver/owner details. Then call the insurance and claim for the loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There are some totally unbelievable characters out there though who seem to think it's fine to give random passers by abuse.

They're basically a danger to anything on the road and pedestrians. The same muppets throw stuff at cars and trains too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

What a preposterous question! What insurance company is going to cover you for throwing a chocolate bar at somebody's face?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I wonder if his fingerprints are still on the chocolate bar wrapper?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,136 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Páid wrote: »
    I wonder if his fingerprints are still on the chocolate bar wrapper?
    That'd only help if the fingerprints were on file to begin with, wouldn't it?

I hope the swelling's gone down OP. Luckily I've not had anything thrown at me (other than abuse :pac:) in the past. One kind chap in Finglas tried to share his can of coke with me by dropping it nonchalantly from a bridge I was going under, but I wasn't near enough to catch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

That'd only help if the fingerprints were on file to begin with, wouldn't it?

He sounds like the kind of person that is likely to have been in trouble in the past. If he was ever arrested and fingerprinted in the future for something else he would also be facing a charge relating to this incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Looked like it hurl a bit. Hope ya gay better soon OP.

Times like these would make you wonder if its worth having a helmet cam.

I backed this awhile ago [url]HTTP://WWW.fly6.com[/url] Just waiting on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

had a cup of some orange drink thrown at me on capel st by some kids one day, missed me so didnt bother doing anything. I know people like to say online if that happened to them they would given the scumbag a beating, but on that occasion if it had actually hit me, Id honestly have gone 'postal'.

had a can of redbull almost hit me going by the central bank, couldnt see anyone laughing or jeering so didnt know where it came from, my jacket got a little wet tho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

marathon50 wrote: »
    Out for a cycle this evening with my brother and the driver of a van coming towards us in the opposite direction leaned out his window and fired a chocolate bar at us, hitting me smack in the face! Dirty scumbag nearly knocked out my teeth. I dont know why someone would do such a stupid thing! Lucky I didn't end up under a car but got such a fright!

I'm a motorist and have issues over cycling policy in urban areas, but this is just thuggery and cowardice - that guy sure as hell does not represent me as a motorist - what a bigot! :mad: Hope you don't let a scumbag like that get to you and I hope you recover and get back to cycling.

People have a right to walk, cycle, drive and ride (bus/tram) and I'd never dream of intimidating cyclists as a motorist. I also try to make sure that as I pass a cyclist, he/she is in my left mirror before I pull back in - common decency. Whatever about misgivings about transport policy, motorists are required to act responsibly at the wheel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Catphish

I saw this thread from the main page and I'm in shock that people do things like this to cyclists. please follow this advice..

I'd call the police if I were you. Depending on the roads, businesses nearby may have cctv facing where you were

That is a horrible injury op :( As an aside I've had very bad bruising due to surgeries, and one thing that helped speed up the recovery of the bruises was Arnica. I bought it in Holland and barrett, and as far as I know you can buy it in Boots too.

I hope the person responsible for this gets caught, and that you heal quickly op.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭wishmaster200

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    What kind of chocolate bar?

judging by his injuries id say a yorkie or a dairymilk 100% extra free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

That joke has been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭wishmaster200

i apologise for my cooment it was rude and unjust

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I had eggs thrown at me on Thomas street around 9pm. They missed 3 times thank fook.

This has happened to way too many people on this thread.

Advertisement