Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Wowser, great running and well done with the pb. If I'm ever feeling lazy again I think I'll read this log for motivation to get my a$$ out on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

alitoast wrote: »
    Wowser, great running and well done with the pb. If I'm ever feeling lazy again I think I'll read this log for motivation to get my a$$ out on the road.

Thanks but I am feeling really lazy today myself and having one of them there rest days that everyone is always talking about :o

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

A what day?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

menoscemo wrote: »
    Thanks but I am feeling really lazy today myself and having one of them there rest days that everyone is always talking about :o

I took one of them on the 20th. Not all they're cracked up to be.

A what day?

Sorry boss, I'll do extra miles tomorrow to make up for it :D
    I took one of them on the 20th. Not all they're cracked up to be.

Regretting it already, but I have last nights wine to polish off :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Thanks but I am feeling really lazy today myself and having one of them there rest days that weaklings and losers talk about

fyp

Monday 30th
    First unenforced rest day of the year :o I got home from work late and with the icy rain outside I played the wussy card and stayed inside for the night.

Tuesday 31st
    10.7 miles @ 8:40 pace (136 HR). Run home from work with an extra loop of tymon. I wanted to do this run a bit faster but I paid the price for not doing yesterdays recovery run as the legs were still stiff and tired so I was forced to take it very easy (too easy it seems as the HR is well inside recovery run levels).

Wednesday 1st Feb
    A.M. 7.1 miles back into work. Pace is lsow as always on morning runs but faster than normal and the legs felt super. The run was interupted for a bit as I bumped into woddle and walked with him for a bit as he pushed the buggy.
    P.M. 5.6 miles easy (8 min/mile). Just a little trot after work. It was freezing so I had to cover up with 3 layers so I never looked at the garmin but said to myself around halfway that this felt like 8 min/mile pace. When I got to the end I saw I averaged exactly that :D It would be cool to do organise a blind pacing competition.

WTD 2 days running 23.4 miles

2011|No. of days Running|Miles|2012 |No. of days Running|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3|January|28/31|290.1
    February|24/28|236.9|February|1/1|12.7
    March|23/31|221.9|||
    April|22/30|176.4|||
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|29/32|302.8

Thursday
    14 x 400m @ Tallaght track. None of the faster lads were there this week so I went with the 'B' group. The reps were about 2-3 seconds slower than the week before (84-88 seconds) and they were very comfortable. A sprint finish over the last 50m on the last one made it the fastest of the day- 81 seconds (I won :D)
    8.7 miles total

Friday
    Recovery run with Aimman and Ultraman. Some genius picked a route invoving about 5 bridges a deadend, 2 walls to be jumped and 2 miles on the hard shoulder of the N4 dodging rush hour traffic. I must plan a running route for next week :rolleyes:
    5.7 miles total

Saturday
    Group run in the park. Nice big turnout. we did 4 loops, dropping people back to the carpark after every lap. The first 2 loops were nice and slow then Clarlara upped the pace in the third one and decided to take the final 5 of us up knocmaroon :(. We went back to carpark at 21 miles and dropped off CL and digger and myself Oisin and graham set out for a final lap.
    27 miles in total at just over 9 min/mile. Pace was much quicker for the second half of the run.
    Legs felt very stiff throughout the run. I think I'll switch the track day to tuesdays and make thursdays my steady run becuase I could definitely feel the track in the legs on saturday.

Sunday
    Recovery run after yesterdays Long run and last nights feed of beer.
    5 miles @ 8:40 pace. Legs feel surprisingly fine and pace for recovery is faster than usual.

WTD 6 days running 69.8 miles

February|24/28|236.9|February|5/5|59.1
    March|23/31|221.9|||
    April|22/30|176.4|||
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|33/36|349.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Saturday
    Group run in the park. Nice big turnout. we did 4 loops, dropping people back to the carpark after every lap. The first 2 loops were nice and slow then Clarlara upped the pace in the third one and decided to take the final 5 of us up knocmaroon :(. We went back to carpark at 21 miles and dropped off CL and digger and myself Oisin and graham set out for a final lap.
    27 miles in total at just over 9 min/mile. Pace was much quicker for the second half of the run.
    Legs felt very stiff throughout the run. I think I'll switch the track day to tuesdays and make thursdays my steady run becuase I could definitely feel the track in the legs on saturday.

Me too, it must be the Ultra training ;)

Monday
    6 @ 8:40 This run was meant to be 8 or 9 at 8 min/mile but I immediately started getting jip from my IT band and Knee so I had to stop and stretch a few times and then decided to turn back early. I concentrated a bit on my form on the way back (reading a chi running book I got fror xmas) and the pains went away so the fastest few miles were on the way back.

Tuesday
    Club session: 10 x 600m I was a bit nervous about this given the leg pains the day before but decided to stick to schedule and get the speed done early in the week. Warm up went fine but I was cautious and went with the B group again. Session went well and I was able to speed up for all 10 reps over the last 100m on all reps to pull awaya from the group. All 10 reps were between 2:14 and 2:17. I thin the 600s were all a bit long as no-one could decide where we should start them from (first 2 lanes closed on the track) so we did them from the 400m lines.

8.9 miles total

Wednesday
    7.3 miles (8:45 pace) recovery run home from work. Forgot to pack my running socks so I had to wear my standard black work socks :eek: Legs felt much better for the day after a track session so the pace was a bit faster than my usual 9:20+ min/mile recovery runs. Legs appear to have made a turnaround since monday when I was afraid of the runner knee coming back.

WTD 3 days running 22.2 Miles

February|24/28|236.9|February|8/8|81.3
    March|23/31|221.9|||
    April|22/30|176.4|||
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|36/39|371.4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Legs felt much better for the day after a track session so the pace was a bit faster than my usual 9:20+ min/mile recovery runs. Legs appear to have made a turnaround since monday when I was afraid of the runner knee coming back.

Admit it...... you've been to that new legs shop again haven't you?

Marthastew wrote: »
    Admit it...... you've been to that new legs shop again haven't you?

:o I'm gonna be out a fortune by the time connemara comes around :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Tuesday
    Club session: 10 x 600m I was a bit nervous about this given the leg pains the day before but decided to stick to schedule and get the speed done early in the week. Warm up went fine but I was cautious and went with the B group again. Session went well and I was able to speed up for all 10 reps over the last 100m on all reps to pull awaya from the group. All 10 reps were between 2:14 and 2:17. I thin the 600s were all a bit long as no-one could decide where we should start them from (first 2 lanes closed on the track) so we did them from the 400m lines.

8.9 miles total

Yeah the lads have a tendancy every now and again to protect lane one. Makes it a nuisance for anybody running anything over 400m. We just head up to the track when nobody is there, saves a lot of hassle.
    Anyway I think you should've done the session with the A group, you're well able for it. Last time I was up at the track I saw you and you looked good, your running economy was very solid. I know sometimes you may not be feeling up to it but that could be just your mind playing games with you. Pretty much everytime Im doing a session I mysteriously feel tired or stiff or unwell before hand. But its always just my mind ****ing with me trying to get out of the session, happened today in fact. 9/10 thats what it is anyway, I mean the odd time you'll be genuinely wasted and not able for it, but those times are rare and you learn to differentiate them from the psychosomatic nonsense.

tunguska wrote: »
    Anyway I think you should've done the session with the A group, you're well able for it. Last time I was up at the track I saw you and you looked good, your running economy was very solid. I know sometimes you may not be feeling up to it but that could be just your mind playing games with you. Pretty much everytime Im doing a session I mysteriously feel tired or stiff or unwell before hand. But its always just my mind ****ing with me trying to get out of the session, happened today in fact. 9/10 thats what it is anyway, I mean the odd time you'll be genuinely wasted and not able for it, but those times are rare and you learn to differentiate them from the psychosomatic nonsense.

Cheers Eoin, I think you saw me the thursday before doing 400s, that was with the B group as well, there was no 'A' group that day as the faster lads (gerry woods etc) were all resting up for the x-country last weekend.
    I'll definitely take your advice and go with the fast boys next week, I'm kinda stuck in the middle at the moment, fastest in the B group or slowest in the A group but yeah it's good to push yourself well out of the comfort zone once in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Forgot to pack my running socks so I had to wear my standard black work socks :eek:

Cool look it might catch on:) How is the body holding up with the high mileage?

Cool look it might catch on:) How is the body holding up with the high mileage?

There's good and bad days but thankfully mostly good :D
    I'm doing much more intensity than last year, 2 quality runs a week (intervals and longish MP) as well as 2 long runs. The added sharpness deffo paid off in Raheny.

When is your IM again? I may have an idea on where we can settle that ultra bet of ours ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

When is your IM again? I may have an idea on where we can settle that ultra bet of ours ;)

Doubling up this year, Roth is first week in July and Barcelona Sept and by that time i will be ready for a sleep. I think we should see who can do the fastest marathon time this year instead:) You will have the benefit of having a target to chase with me first up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice running in Raheny - you're in great shape

Thursday
    AM
    7.3 miles back into work. Felt completely wrecked before starting the run. No doubt the few glasses of wine the night before didn't help :rolleyes:. But my sleep on wednesday night was very light which is unusual. Despite this the run was great and the pace a little fater than usual especially on the hill at then end.

PM
    I planned a steady run for the evening but by the time I got home from work I was wrecked. Lay in bed for 10 minutes and got 40 winks and got up and had a glass of HTFU.
    Again the run went great.
    8.3 miles @ 7:26 (HR 152). the run felt much easier than last week and a few seconds/mile quicker though the HR 2 beats higher. Still well under marathon effort though.

15.6 miles total for the day

After the run I was knackered again, then on thursday night I slept terrible again. woke up a few times with the sweats and swore I must be coming down with the flu. I decided on Friday morning that I was taking a few days off, so I had two good sleeps on Friday and Saturday night. It was hard not to go out running on saturday. There is no sign of any sickness getting worse So I think I might have been on the verge of ovetraining :eek:. No harm taking the few days off as it probably serves as a good taper before Donadea 50k next saturday.

Sunday
    21.6 miles @ 8:45 pace. Met up with Grhamor for this one and ran from clontarf out by the beach to howth and back with a nice hill in the middle. I was delighted tyo be bale to run my LSR a bit faster than normal group runs.

WTD 5 days running 59.4 Miles

February|24/28|236.9|February|10/12|118.5
    March|23/31|221.9|||
    April|22/30|176.4|||
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|38/43|408.6

I'm reducing the mileage this week with Donadea 50k on saturday.

Monday
    4 miles recovery (9 min/mile) Av HR 55 max 70 :p

Tuesday
    7.3 miles @ 8 min/mile. Run home from work. Decided to get the feel for saturdays intended race pace. Had the win straight in my face all the way but it felt fine. HRM decided to stop working completely so I figured it's the battery and changed it when I got home.

Wednesday
    7.3 miles back into work. Run started well but I got a visit from the ginger bread man after about 2 miles. I figured I could hold hm off till I got to work as his knocking at the back door was merely a tap. About 3 miles futher the knock became very loud and he was threatening to kick the door down. I had to stop a few times to hold him at bay. Luckily I found woddle to be at home and he kindly allowed me to use his facilities as I reckon I might not have made it the last 2 miles up the hill to work without an accident :pac:

Changing the HRM battery has had no effect. Mile 3 av HR 188. Mile 7 av HR 118 :confused: (mile 7 is the hard one up the hill).

WTD 3 days running 18.6 Miles

Just a few more easy runs between now and saturday.

February|24/28|236.9|February|13/15|137.1
    March|23/31|221.9|||
    April|22/30|176.4|||
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|41/46|427.2[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

I'm reducing the mileage this week with Donadea 50k on saturday........
    Run started well but I got a visit from the ginger bread man after about 2 miles. I figured I could hold hm off till I got to work as his knocking at the back door was merely a tap. About 3 miles futher the knock became very loud and he was threatening to kick the door down. I had to stop a few times to hold him at bay. Luckily I found woddle to be at home and he kindly allowed me to use his facilities as I reckon I might not have made it the last 2 miles up the hill to work without an accident :pac:.......

I suppose when you gotta go you gotta go....

Sounds like you're all set for Donadea.
    When is Brighton?

I've been taking it very easy (maybe a little too easy) this week as I don't want to aggravate my IT band and the kids are off school. See you Saturday, I'm actually looking forward to it now.

I suppose when you gotta go you gotta go....

Sounds like you're all set for Donadea.
    When is Brighton?

I've been taking it very easy (maybe a little too easy) this week as I don't want to aggravate my IT band and the kids are off school. See you Saturday, I'm actually looking forward to it now.

Yeah see you saturday. You'll be fine. no need to worry, you certainly won't be last, just treat it as a long training run. Make sure to bring plenty of drinks and food to leave out and experiment with.

Not doing brighton, Blackpool is the 11th March, leaving a 3 week taper. I'm planning on doing the paddys day 5k on the 18th if I can recover in the week.

Yeah see you saturday. You'll be fine. no need to worry, you certainly won't be last, just treat it as a long training run. Make sure to bring plenty of drinks and food to leave out and experiment with.

Not doing brighton, Blackpool is the 11th March, leaving a 3 week taper. I'm planning on doing the paddys day 5k on the 18th if I can recover in the week.

I knew it began with a B....

I'm bringing gels, flat coke and chocolate, anything else you recommend I try out? I've a fairly strong stomach and can tolerate most things

I knew it began with a B....

I'm bringing gels, flat coke and chocolate, anything else you recommend I try out? I've a fairly strong stomach and can tolerate most things

Yeah I'm goona try the mountain dew energy drink as well as coke. It has more kcals and caffeine thank coke so It might be very good for ultras.

Thursday.
    5 miles recovery with Aimman in Tymon

Friday
    3.3 miles recovery

Saturday
    Donadea 50k
    This is a great little race and great prep for Connemara. Had a good chat with loads of people before the race and there was a fab atmosphere. I convinced myself in the days before that I wasn't feeling well. I think we all do this before every race in case it all goes wrong!!
    Had a chat with a few lads before the race and my plan was 8 min/mile to finish in 4:10. Got a group of 4 together with the same target including gerry duffy.

The first few miles clipped by withiut noticing, good chat and good craic. They were all ticking off in around 24:30 (target 25 min/lap) so after 3 or 4 laps we were already a minute and more up on target. The group began to split after 5 laps when gerry duffy pushed on a bit and simultaneously one of the other lads dropped back. So just like last year we were down to a group of two and would stay like this till the end. We kept the pace steady, all under 8 min/mile. I expected it to hurt around lap 7 or 8 but ti didn't happen. Because I was travelling a bit faster and there were more people running (66 this year compared to 20 last year) we were always lapping people and having a bit of banter as we passed. Before I knew it were were through marahon in 3:28:xx and just a lap and a half left. We digged in for the last lap, my running partner was beginning to suffer but the pace didn't drop. With about 4k to go we saw Gerry dDuffy ahead, who was obviously slowing. BY 2k to go the gap was down to 100m or so and I let out a roar to say we were coming after him. That obviously spurred him along as he managed to pick up the pace and stay ahead finishing about 30 seconds ahead of us.

Crossed the line in 4:06:30 for 50k (31.1 miles) at 7:54 av pace. Thats 15 minutes faster than last year and It felt a fair bit easier. Delighted with the result and now confident of sub 5:30 in Connemara. :D

WTD 6 days running 59 Miles

February|24/28|236.9|February|16/18|176.5
    March|23/31|221.9|||
    April|22/30|176.4|||
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|44/49|466.6

Just saw the offical lap splits.

They were: 0:25:33 (included an extra 300m run in) 0:24:38 0:24:52 0:24:45 0:24:04 0:24:10 0:24:35 0:24:31 0:24:36 0:24:50.

Pretty happy with that consistency. The first lap was 5.3km and the other all 4.97k.

21st out of 60 finishers (66 starters) and only chcked by 2 minutes buy the new Irish 50k champion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Good stuff today. No pub session?

There was supposed to be later but cancelled due to lack of interest (i.e. just me and frank).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

There was supposed to be later but cancelled due to lack of interest (i.e. just me and frank).

Dryballs the lot of them :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Good running man... Steady as a rock....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement