Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC with Steam Big Picture and Xbox 360 controller. Any point in consoles anymore?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'd say its more to do with the amount of scumbags who use Xbox live to spout their vile abuse at people that they are charging to use their servers so they can police them. On the other hand there's hardly any abuse on the free Nintendo & PC servers. One of the reasons I sold my X1 was the amount of knobheads who ruined FIFA for me.

To be fair, that's just XBox players - back in the day Microsoft refused to do anything about it and it's bred a toxic atmosphere full of that sort of bile and vitriol. They're not interested in doing anything about it as it does earn them money. It's the YouTube comments of the online gaming world.

PlayStation doesn't seem to have as big a problem or reputation for it.

I've experienced plenty of it on PC (that's in 15+ years of online gaming), it's just so much easier to mute and/or nuke an idiot from PC games.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Huh, that's interesting. Got any data on that? Everytime I visit forums or talk about emulation on message/image boards it's usually always enthusiasts who reply and, like me, they often play from their game backups. I have very little interest in playing old games that I didn't already own at one point - Anything other than the classics haven't aged very well at all. Even goldeneye is hard for me to swallow at this point because of how bad it looks and plays compared to todays standards. I can't imagine anyone really pirating it and playing it to the end who didn't already own and like the game - The best I got out of it was enjoying the old music and sound effects.

Data? No. Just baseless supposition given the amount of people I know who use emulators for systems that existed before they were old enough to eat solid food or people who had a Mega Drive growing up playing old SNES games that their friends used to have. It's a source of free "guilt free" gaming, similar to the abandonware movement of old. Sure, a lot of people won't play anything other than for nostalgia reasons but do you think some 15 year old who discovers Mario on the DS isn't going to grab a SNES or NES emulator to try out the early Marios on their Android phone or whatever? Golden Eye, yeah that's aged very badly, it's a fairly extreme example of a game that aged poorly though compared to the 2D games.

Shiminay wrote: »
    I've experienced plenty of it on PC (that's in 15+ years of online gaming), it's just so much easier to mute and/or nuke an idiot from PC games.

Still have a chip on your shoulder about the old Counter Strike forums eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

nesf wrote: »
    Still have a chip on your shoulder about the old Counter Strike forums eh?

MUTED !!!!!! :L

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Data? No. Just baseless supposition given the amount of people I know who use emulators for systems that existed before they were old enough to eat solid food or people who had a Mega Drive growing up playing old SNES games that their friends used to have. It's a source of free "guilt free" gaming, similar to the abandonware movement of old. Sure, a lot of people won't play anything other than for nostalgia reasons but do you think some 15 year old who discovers Mario on the DS isn't going to grab a SNES or NES emulator to try out the early Marios on their Android phone or whatever? Golden Eye, yeah that's aged very badly, it's a fairly extreme example of a game that aged poorly though compared to the 2D games.

Exactly.
    The justification for the site we all use to source games and emu files is the same old fib to stop them being shut down, it's for preservation, it's for back up purposes, and so on.
    VC and the likes is an authorised form of emu and legit, yes it might cost but, they aren't just going to give the stuff away.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Exactly.
    The justification for the site we all use to source games and emu files is the same old fib to stop them being shut down, it's for preservation, it's for back up purposes, and so on.
    VC and the likes is an authorised form of emu and legit, yes it might cost but, they aren't just going to give the stuff away.

That said, I've never felt any guilt using emulation/DOSBox or whatever to play games I cannot legitimately buy anymore. There's no loss of sale and I've even seen developers of old come forward and praise sites for preserving old games (e.g. Sinclair Spectrum ones). I really don't see the point in people not playing these games when one can't talk about lost sales or revenue for the people who made them. There's an entitlement element there sure, but I've seen some really old-time developers from the Spectrum/C64 era come forward and say that they want people to play their games and really don't mind emulators etc (this was still the guy in his bedroom coding games era).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

That's why I said any other than the classics. You don't need direct emulation to play those games, btw. There's sites that let you play them online running on your browser... which is an emulation of sorts but without the need for the original ROM, Bios and with much less customization of course.

As for me, I don't know anyone young enough not to have played the classics. I don't know the numbers exactly but for a casual audience with only passing interest in these old games would more likely purchase them on their new platforms or play them on a browser rather than go through the hassle of emulation. Easy-of-use is a huge thing these day, I've heard people argue just having to download it, load a ROM and bind the controls to keys yourself is enough to turn them off trying. Hell I managed to sell Goldeneye and TG Rally 2 for the N64 on adverts and from the sounds of it the buyer wasn't a collector or enthusiast at all but I can't confirm that.

Anyway we're a bit off track here. Point remains, emulation is not illegal and I think it's awesome that steam big picture mode overlay works with some of it that I've tried which to me is exciting for even more all-in-one PC setups that can have a console-like experience to them. I'm sure someone is going to set up an arcade cabinet where one uses that interface to select and play classic games, possibly even over stream so there doesn't even need to be a big machine in it cabinet itself... perhaps just a raspberry pi hooked up to compact display. (Are they any good for low-latency game streaming?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Literally the only thing keeping me playing consoles nowadays is exclusives. Almost every single thing about PC gaming is better. I don't even have a next-gen console yet, and I won't be double-dipping this time round for the first time since the MD and SNES days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Shiminay wrote: »
    To be fair, that's just XBox players - back in the day Microsoft refused to do anything about it and it's bred a toxic atmosphere full of that sort of bile and vitriol. They're not interested in doing anything about it as it does earn them money. It's the YouTube comments of the online gaming world.

PlayStation doesn't seem to have as big a problem or reputation for it.

On Xbox, you just have to start a party and make it private. You have now muted everybody in the game and you and your mates can work away without any of the background noise.it's a simple process.

But I kind of miss lobby chat these days. Was great fun hearing somebody suggesting that I'm hacking, that my mother is of ill-repute and that I have a same-sex sexual preference and then proceeding to make them my bitch for the rest of the game and troll the **** out of them.

On topic, I considered a gaming PC but the PS4 won out. 400 quid to just put a game in and start playing. One of my mates was really at me to get a PC to play ARMA with him and it looks ****ing cool. He has the Occulus Rift too, which is awesome. But the amount of times he is troubleshooting some peripheral device or having to update the OS, figure out whether it's the new update that won't allow the game to start or some mod he is running or setting he has enabled is really off-putting. For someone who usually only has 1 hour to play a game at a tine, that sounds like hell.

On topic, I considered a gaming PC but the PS4 won out. 400 quid to just put a game in and start playing. One of my mates was really at me to get a PC to play ARMA with him and it looks ****ing cool. He has the Occulus Rift too, which is awesome. But the amount of times he is troubleshooting some peripheral device or having to update the OS, figure out whether it's the new update that won't allow the game to start or some mod he is running or setting he has enabled is really off-putting. For someone who usually only has 1 hour to play a game at a tine, that sounds like hell.

You either misheard your friend or they're doing something very wrong with regard general gaming. Except for the Occulus (it's a developer pre-release, expect issues) and modding games (some mods don't play nicely together in some games), you really have very little maintaining to do with PC gaming these days unless you've been doing something you shouldn't have (e.g. messing around with drivers without knowing what you're doing). For almost every one of the games that I have on Steam that I do not mod I don't have to go messing around to get it working. If I'm modding games, sometimes I have trouble but usually it's a buggy release of a title that causes the most messing about with settings etc. The latter is more common than it should be but it's still not very common with the kinds of games I play.

But for day-to-day gaming, meh, nearly all of the games involve just opening Steam and pressing Play. OS updates are less annoying than they are on the XBox for me because I can delay them until I am switching the computer off without losing the ability to play games online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

If you have an SSD it's way faster to start playing a game on PC than a console.

Advertisement