Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did some detailing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Huhh??^^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

This Volvo was new from the dealer, my friend wanted it detailed to get it perfect once again. I was asked to treat the leather and give the exterior a polish and wax. The Leather was cleaned and sealed, the floor mats were steamed and got a hot water extraction, the paint got a one stage machine polish and a coat of premium wax.

16-DSCF9345_zps27f857bd.jpg

19-DSCF9348_zps4b996799.jpg

18-DSCF9354_zps3ec271f7.jpg

20-DSCF9349_zpsfa34abd5.jpg

22-DSCF9351_zps893cced8.jpg

21-DSCF9350_zpsd50c8542.jpg

23-DSCF9355_zpsff85d896.jpg

01-DSCF9325_zps2d55ecd7.jpg

02-DSCF9343_zps0b2a6691.jpg

03-DSCF9329_zps41606ca5.jpg

04-DSCF9356_zps2c5b7337.jpg

05-DSCF9328_zps4c66df5a.jpg

06-DSCF9336_zps02c060e1.jpg

07-DSCF9337_zps9666870e.jpg

08-DSCF9338_zpsb35f65d9.jpg

09-DSCF9339_zps54d94717.jpg

10-DSCF9341_zpsec0ed5cb.jpg

11-DSCF9342_zps2105a9b9.jpg

12-2014-07-20124400_zps3ac5760a.jpg

13-2014-07-20124423_zps9ad739bc.jpg

15-DSCF9340_zpsa4c36c4c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Getting in around the jambs is the bit that annoys me, last time it was serviced, they decided to overdo the grease around the hinges, so it gets messy to clean. When I'm feeling lazy the expression out of sight, out of mind comes into play :rolleyes:

Clean shuts and very important to me, I machine polished the paint around the shuts on this car.

• Advertisement

Jesus fair play to ya! I know they're an important part, since the second you open the door, they're the first thing you see. Whatever about a silver or lighter colour car, with the blacks and navy's, dirty ones stick out like a sore thumb!

Thanks for liking my post anyway ;-)

Ahh someone had to, out of politeness more than anythning :pac:

Joke btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

This Volvo was new from the dealer, my friend wanted it detailed to get it perfect once again. I was asked to treat the leather and give the exterior a polish and wax. The Leather was cleaned and sealed, the floor mats were steamed and got a hot water extraction, the paint got a one stage machine polish and a coat of premium wax.

Amazing.
    How do you get the exhaust n chrome so shiny??? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

vectra wrote: »
    Huhh??^^^^^

Try it now

• Advertisement

Amazing.
    How do you get the exhaust n chrome so shiny??? :o

Thanks, I washed, de-tarred and polished them by hand.

Try it now

Ah,
    Demonstrating the new Lance Cam :D

Nice foam there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

What foam was used there? Looks like a decent coating....have you tried spreading the fan of the spray a bit more...you'd do the whole car a bit quicker if you did.....but maybe you are having too much fun! :D :P

Curran wrote: »
    What foam was used there? Looks like a decent coating....have you tried spreading the fan of the spray a bit more...you'd do the whole car a bit quicker if you did.....but maybe you are having too much fun! :D :P

Its www.cleancar.ie their own brand stuff. I find keeping the spray tighter gives thicker foam, and yes, WAY more fun :D

Its www.cleancar.ie their own brand stuff. I find keeping the spray tighter gives thicker foam, and yes, WAY more fun :D

I actually found their foam great when I first used a foam lance,

For the price, you can't really knock it, and it does work rather well.

For the price, you can't really knock it, and it does work rather well.

Yes.
    I found it really gave my white car a good clean in winter with no rubbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

So I recently got some product samples from DetailingShed and was asked to review them. They are the 50 Cal products that are all available on the site!

Berry Bomb Air Freshener - This was the first thing I used because the smell was awesome! It smells like those strawberry Push Pops and the smell brings me right back to my childhood. It's probably the nicest air freshener I've ever used and knocks CG stripper scent out of my no. 1 place. I gave one spray to each of my floor mats and it has lasted about 2 weeks.

Precision Interior Trim Dressing - This smells very like the berry bomb. A few sprays onto an applicator pad and it goes on smoothly and leaves a very very nice finish, not shiny and not messy. It also smells unreal.

Cammo - This is the tyre dressing. After using Meguiars Endurance Gel for a while, I gave the tyres a clean with a mix of Megs Super degreaser and IPA (don't try that at home) to get rid of any previous products. I then gave each tyre a few sprays and let it sit for 5 minutes. After a quick buff to remove any excess (this causes sling) the tyres were as black as the ace of spades. I only applied one coat as I didn't want them shiny but it has lasted since last Monday (you'd hope it would wouldn't you? :P )

Retaliate Wheel Cleaner - To be honest, it's like a lot of wheel cleaners I have used. It goes on, you agitate, it comes off. I didn't find anything especially unique about it. I suppose it's good that 50 Cal have it in their range. It does its job but nothing out of the ordinary.

Fortress Liquid Polish - I used this on my sister's red Polo. It's not a correction polish, but one applied by hand to deepen the lustre of the paint. This polo is covered in swirls and the polish made a huge difference. It didn't get rid of the swirls obviously but lessened their appearance.

Penta Wax - I applied this after the polish. Again, it smells good and goes on very smoothly. I'm not a fan of paste waxes which this is as I find it's easy enough to rub too much onto the pad. It provides very good beading. Durability is something I will have to investigate.

20:20 Glass Cleaner - Like I said about the wheel cleaner, it goes on, does its job and comes off again. Nothing special about it but it's good to have it.

And one that's not in the 50 Cal Range;

Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel - I really really liked this. I've long been looking for a wheel cleaner that you spray on, let it do its job and wash off. Not only does it save time scrubbing but it also saves your alloys from scratches if you use a wheel brush (I use a separate mitt). This stuff also has a fallout remover in the mix which works very well. It smells good but you also get the eggy aftersmell but not as bad as the likes of iron cleanse. I sprayed it on, left it for 5 minutes as per the instructions and hosed off. It left the alloys spotless. I even went over one of them like I would normally clean them and the water was as clean as if I hadn't used it. Auto Wheel is also Ph neutral so it won't remove any wax or wheel guard you have on it.

I can't say much about the price of the 50 Cal stuff as I only got samples but when it comes to the Auto Wheel, it may seem expensive but the one bottle lasts ages even if you apply it generously like I do.

Is there anywhere that's quick and easy (and not madly expensive) to pick up some Meguiar's Ultra Cut Compound (M105)? I think it's effective at removing up to 1200 grit sandpaper marks (not that i have used sandpaper of that level on the car or anything, but i just want something that's equally or more aggressive).

I have CG's Pro Polish 3N (effective to 2000 grit) but Ultra Cut Compound is a world away - significantly better (or at least on the Rav, it was, anyway).

CleanYourCar.co.uk seem to be the only ones selling it? And don't really want to pay postage from the UK for a bottle of polish if I can avoid it.

Also, does anyone here use a glaze? And if so, do you think it's worth your while?

I was using it after machine polishing the Rav. And I found that regardless of whether i applied it like polish (machining it into the paintwork) or like wax (wax on, let sit, buff off), it made little to no difference whatsoever?

I only did one or two panels on the Rav that time, and then gave up and moved onto waxing. But when I was finished, you'd never, ever, have known which panels got glazed.

I don't know if I was just using it incorrectly, or..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel - I really really liked this. I've long been looking for a wheel cleaner that you spray on, let it do its job and wash off. Not only does it save time scrubbing but it also saves your alloys from scratches if you use a wheel brush (I use a separate mitt). This stuff also has a fallout remover in the mix which works very well. It smells good but you also get the eggy aftersmell but not as bad as the likes of iron cleanse. I sprayed it on, left it for 5 minutes as per the instructions and hosed off. It left the alloys spotless. I even went over one of them like I would normally clean them and the water was as clean as if I hadn't used it. Auto Wheel is also Ph neutral so it won't remove any wax or wheel guard you have on it.

Its my number one product for cleaning wheels - its so good. Smell is horrible though.

Also, does anyone here use a glaze? And if so, do you think it's worth your while?
    I don't know if I was just using it incorrectly, or..?

There are a few different types of glazes that fall within the glaze category.....and the category can get a bit confusing at times, in a similar way to how people can confuse polish as protection.
    There is the type that are filler glazes; which help hide defects in the paint work and boost shine. And then there is oily glaze which is purely to achieve the ultimate wet look. Then there's others that combine both.

The thing is, after machine polishing, applying a glaze to reasonably fresh paintwork, will be fairly difficult to notice a dramatic difference, but they do improve shine and clarity; although often at the expense of durability of your wax/sealant.

Curran wrote: »
    There are a few different types of glazes that fall within the glaze category.....and the category can get a bit confusing at times, in a similar way to how people can confuse polish as protection.
    There is the type that are filler glazes; which help hide defects in the paint work and boost shine. And then there is oily glaze which is purely to achieve the ultimate wet look. Then there's others that combine both.

The thing is, after machine polishing, applying a glaze to reasonably fresh paintwork, will be fairly difficult to notice a dramatic difference, but they do improve shine and clarity; although often at the expense of durability of your wax/sealant.

Which of those categories would CG's Glossworkz glaze fall into?

And what's the most aggressive polish you stock, Curran?

Which of those categories would CG's Glossworkz glaze fall into?

And what's the most aggressive polish you stock, Curran?

CG's call it a glaze and self leveler - so it falls into the combo product!

Wolf's Chemicals "The Equalizer" or CG's V34 are the two most aggressive polishes! Combo V34 with a Microfiber Pad and that will be an aggressive set up!
    Not sure about the Wolf's polish on a MF pad, as they supply foam pads to combo with their polishes....will shoot Wolf's an email about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Howdy lads, need a bit of help, I'm at a cleaning stage on my 900 project and the rear of the engine bay is a state, this metal heat shield (i don't actually know what it is) is supposed to be nice and shiny, however you can see mine is rather stained with rust from the coolant and the dirt is fairly bet into it, I've tried tar remover to no avail, and a good new other things, the only thing that came close to shifting anything was a pot scrubber

So any ideas how to make it pretty?

a9lpgh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I used the machine and compound polish to try and remove the swirls on the VRs but didn't seem to do much would I be doing something wrong as I followed instructions on the bottle and done small sections at a time.

I am going to give it another go and see will it make any difference hopefully during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Howdy lads, need a bit of help, I'm at a cleaning stage on my 900 project and the rear of the engine bay is a state, this metal heat shield (i don't actually know what it is) is supposed to be nice and shiny, however you can see mine is rather stained with rust from the coolant and the dirt is fairly bet into it, I've tried tar remover to no avail, and a good new other things, the only thing that came close to shifting anything was a pot scrubber

So any ideas how to make it pretty?

a9lpgh.jpg

Is it supposed to be a bare metal finish, or painted?

If it's bare metal, then maybe a bumper can of Peek and lots of elbow grease. A lot of that grime and dirt can be bound up in oxidation on metal surfaces making them hard to clean.

If it's paint, then maybe a soak in paraffin or kerosene might do the job - it'd loosen off anything that's oil/grease based at least and give you something to work with.

Yeah it's a bare metal finish, where can i get this peak stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

It's a common enough metal polish so it's not difficult to find. Halfords would be the most convenient place I think. Cleancar.ie carry it too. (It's spelled Peek if you're googling it too.)

• Advertisement

Chimaera wrote: »
    It's a common enough metal polish so it's not difficult to find. Halfords would be the most convenient place I think. Cleancar.ie carry it too. (It's spelled Peek if you're googling it too.)

Grand! That'l do me :)

Advertisement