Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2014: Round 16 - Russian Grand Prix

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I'm hoping EJ will mention Andrea de Cesaris during the BBC coverage this weekend.

He actually said quite a nice few things about him. Jordan was obviously fond of him. They showed a few clips of him overtaking in the 191. That really was a beautiful car.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

It's a pity if Button is out of a drive. I've always liked him and he generally comes across as one of the less 'up themselves' drivers.

I remember seeing him in the wet at Spa in 2000 where he impressed me by being utterly unafraid of Eau Rouge. Only him, Schumi, Hakkinen and Verstappen seemed to grab the car by the scruff of the neck and throw it at the corner. Everyone else seemed to be having second thoughts about it.

He impressed me again at Barcelona in 2002 as he hustled his Renault like a man possessed, short-shifting like mad down the main straight trying to keep a pack of cars behind him for lap after lap until he retired late in the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

He actually said quite a nice few things about him. Jordan was obviously fond of him. They showed a few clips of him overtaking in the 191. That really was a beautiful car.

I just watched part of the build-up a few minutes ago where EJ was talking about Andrea. The footage with him driving the 191 battling against Nelson Piquet looked like it was the '91 Belgian GP.

The 191 was a beautiful car for sure. Was the 1991 Autosport F1 Racing Car of the Year :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Since Lotterer embarrassed him at Spa, Ericssen has been improving every time.
    I've a feeling that Bottas is the man who'll deny Alonso his dream of a Mercedes seat.
    Defiantly. Isn't Toto his manager also? His talent would have him a shoe in anyway. If Hamilton makes way for Alonso, it will be him following to ball because why would Lewis leave otherwise. Would he demand less money than Lewis and would he cause fewer headaches for Paddy and Toto. I don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Gillespy wrote: »
    Since Lotterer embarrassed him at Spa, Ericssen has been improving every time.

It seems they have got a handle on the braking system, now giving the driver more reliable feel etc and that it seems is making all the difference for Ericssen.
    Good to see.

BBC live this weekend.
    Think I will watch it there for a change.
    Eddie will surely drop a few nuggets re driver moves etc. He is seldom wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I think until the top teams confirms who's with who no one will be saying a thing. Hamilton yet to commit to Mercedes. I was hoping JB would get a crack in the Williams next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Gillespy

mickdw wrote: »
    It seems they have got a handle on the braking system, now giving the driver more reliable feel etc and that it seems is making all the difference for Ericssen.
    Good to see.
    Ted talked about it in the notebook. They've sacrificed harvesting electrical power to give him brakes he can trust. It is nice to see. No one wants to see drivers struggling like he was all year.

Appentenly, there are people out there saying Kyvat ran Super Softs disguised as Softs. That's the latest conspiracy theory according to Ted.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Ted talked about it in the notebook. They've sacrificed harvesting electrical power to give him brakes he can trust. It is nice to see. No one wants to see drivers struggling like he was all year.

Appentenly, there are people out there saying Kyvat ran Super Softs disguised as Softs. That's the latest conspiracy theory according to Ted.

I wouldn't put it beyond the powers that be in f1 to facilitate such an arrangement to build the home interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I wouldn't put it beyond the powers that be in f1 to facilitate such an arrangement to build the home interest.

While I'd be the first to jump on the conspiracy bandwagon I reckon its a combination of it being a new track/level playing field, the guy being on a huge high joining RB and it being his home race. Also being a second off pole and half a second ahead of your team mate wouldn't be that unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭KarlFitz01

Great Qualfying. Felt for Bottas really thought he would be on pole.

With Hamilton getting pole Rosberg has a huge race ahead of him tomorrow. He has to win. Even if something happens to Hamiltons car, second for Rosberg won't do. He needs to win for his confidence. If he doesn't he can kiss the WDC goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

KarlFitz01 wrote: »
    Great Qualfying. Felt for Bottas really thought he would be on pole.

With Hamilton getting pole Rosberg has a huge race ahead of him tomorrow. He has to win. Even if something happens to Hamiltons car, second for Rosberg won't do. He needs to win for his confidence. If he doesn't he can kiss the WDC goodbye.

Ye I was gutted for Bottas, hope Rosberg does get the win, want the title fight to keep going until the last race!

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Ye I was gutted for Bottas, hope Rosberg does get the win, want the title fight to keep going until the last race!

Double points remember at last race so it's hard to see it not being still up for grabs at that race.
    Imagine if Hamilton was to break down during the last race. There would be a melt down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Double points remember at last race so it's hard to see it not being still up for grabs at that race.
    Imagine if Hamilton was to break down during the last race. There would be a melt down.

Yeah I can see this happening either Hamilton or rosberg winning the championship till the last race only to loose it due to car failure :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Safety car was out five laps from the end in both the gp3 and gp2 earlier, so they were being careful recovering cars

Thought the racing was good at the start and the end, nice wide track, hopefully it will be a good f1 race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

That's Rosberg's goose cooked, then - tried too hard on turn 2, flat-spotted his tyres, straight in to pits for a change.

edit: but now they're trying to get him to the end on this set. Maybe he'll land on his feet?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,365 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Disaster for rosberg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,455 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

rosberg showing his lack of brains there prob blown his day

Good racing on the opening lap certainly. The track seems really clean and allowing for a lot of varying lines through the long bends.

Rosberg done ****ed up big time. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,365 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

"We need to go the end on this set." Oh balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

These tarmac run offs are a joke. Lack of gravel and grass run off areas are ruining these newer tracks.

Fair play Vergne!

These tarmac run offs are a joke. Lack of gravel and grass run off areas are ruining these newer tracks.

Usually I'd agree but the racing would've been a lot more 1-by-1 on the opening laps if there were walls or gravel traps all around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Rosberg didn't get punished half-enough for that harebrained move into turn 2.

Ricciardo seemed a little on the aggressive side off the line. Almost put Kimi in the wall and cost him several positions and later gave Vettel a little bump.

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

??

What?

It was the track I was speaking about, not that he broke any rules. Put a gravel pit on that turn and he wouldn't have chanced it (and probably blown his race). Even a Monza-type chicane in the run-off and he wouldn't have chanced it.

Thought there was a rule that you need to spend a certain percent of the race on each tire compound, didn't think Rosberg would be allowed mainly use 1 set

It was the track I was speaking about, not that he broke any rules. Put a gravel pit on that turn and he wouldn't have chanced it (and probably blown his race).

So gravel traps would've saved his race, how would that be more punishment? He didn't "try" anything mad, he was alongside and locked up his tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Thought there was a rule that you need to spend a certain percent of the race on each tire compound, didn't think Rosberg would be allowed mainly use 1 set

No. You just have to use both. he started on Options and jumped onto primes. Rule satisfied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

His pit stop was several seconds longer than it should have been, he was held in place by other cars. Hare-brained, sure, but I think he feels he has to try something to stop Hamilton running away with the season.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

_rebelkid wrote: »
    No. You just have to use both. he started on Options and jumped onto primes. Rule satisfied

I was thinking of the proposed rules below, obviously never happened, 50% on prime 30% option
    http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/29/mandatory-pitstops-tire-distance-limits-proposed-for-2014-f1-season/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

I was thinking of the proposed rules below, obviously never happened, 50% on prime 30% option
    http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/29/mandatory-pitstops-tire-distance-limits-proposed-for-2014-f1-season/

Was there a rule at one time that you had to do 2 laps on each type of tyres - option and prime ?

So gravel traps would've saved his race, how would that be more punishment? He didn't "try" anything mad, he was alongside and locked up his tyres.

The risk for pulling a move like he did is much higher with a gravel pit or something else in the run-off.

That particular corner as it is right now has low risk, high reward. Only for he flat spotted he was free to perform the same move next lap (and the next etc etc) until eventually it stuck. Every time it didn't work he just gave up a place and life went on as normal. There was no risk to not keeping it between the lines.
    bnt wrote: »
    His pit stop was several seconds longer than it should have been, he was held in place by other cars. Hare-brained, sure, but I think he feels he has to try something to stop Hamilton running away with the season.

I'm watching a slightly delayed feed - I hadn't seen his pit time when I posted. Still, the slow pit was down to luck

Infoanon wrote: »
    Was there a rule at one time that you had to do 2 laps on each type of tyres - option and prime ?

Possibly to stop cars stopping on the last lap to satisfy rule to use both compounds

The risk for pulling a move like he did is much higher with a gravel pit or something else in the run-off.

That particular corner as it is right now has low risk, high reward. Only for he flat spotted he was free to perform the same move next lap (and the next etc etc) until eventually it stuck. Every time it didn't work he just gave up a place and life went on as normal. There was no risk to not keeping it between the lines.

Yep, he's driving to the track conditions. Have you seen the replays btw? He didn't just lob one up the inside at the last second, he was easily alongside and the lock-up was almost unrelated, or certainly the magnitude of the lock-up was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

Did Massa lock up as well or why did he pit so early?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

That onboard with Hamilton was depressing. Looks like a slow down lap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭christy c

We meet again Mr Bond

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

This is turning into a bit of a Sunday drive :\ the track is too long good when bunched up but man there is no action at the moment

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I agree. Race is becoming quite boring already..

I was hoping this would be the day Button finally gets a podium.

Ya never know, maybe Rosberg's tyres will unexpectedly fall off the cliff. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Is it just me or us there no spectators at this tiny few in the stand on the main straight.

God its one dull track nothing happening since i turned it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Just on banned radio messages, I thought the pit wasnt allowed to tell drivers to increase their pace or that fuel levels were ok. Or will these be included in the wider radio ban for next season?

Also will these beeps that the RBR team mentioned to Vettel be something that teams could use next year to get around the radio ban?

• Advertisement

Really shows just how much extra pace the Mercedes actually has over the rest of the field when Rosberg having done 30 laps on a set of tyres could get past the Williams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

crasy dash wrote: »
    Is it just me or us there no spectators at this tiny few in the stand on the main straight.

55 thousand spectators I believe.
    The start/finish grandstand is relatively small & set back from the track.

Pretty pedestrian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Also, if Rosberg finishes 2nd, the whole idea of qualifying for grid position starts to look redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭CFlat

That was more of a lunge and hope overtake on Bottas. Thankully Bottas was wide awake and took evasive action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

crasy dash wrote: »

??
    Its nearly a sellout BBC said.
    Although lack of GA areas makes it look a bit empty

• Advertisement
Advertisement