Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good luck on the sub-3 attempt..

You are safe in the knowledge that if you go for sub-3 and blow up, you will still beat digger ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Best of luck on Sunday Meno. You've gone to ground in this training cycle. Looking forward to hearing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks for the good wishes folks, just about to fly off this afternoon and really looking forward to it. Legs actually surprisingly feel in good nick, I can't remember the last time they felt so good and so free from fatigue. E.coli who gave me a massage on wednesday said the same thing. Perhaps there is something in the 'train less' mantra. I am certainly at least 100 miles down on where I was last year.

That said none of my results so far this year (1:26:30 Half, 19:03 5k and 39:45 10k) indicate I am in anywhere near sub 3 shape, so while I see you all wishing me the best on a sub 3 attempt; realistically sunday will not be one. I'll certainly give it a lash and intend to run my best but I also do not intend to blow up and ruin my race by chasing an unattainable goal. I really want to enjoy the race and the atmosphere.
    With that in mind I plan to get to half way around 1:31 and reassess from there.
    Hopefully there is wifi in the coal Hole so i can pop up my time on suday afternoon, if not I have popped my (Brian's) number in the event thread.

Thanks again for all the well wishes!!

month|2012 Run days|Miles|2013 Run days|Miles
    January|28/31|290.1|25/31|243
    February|27/29|283.2|26/28|237
    March|24/31|204.7|26/31|234
    April|23/30|187.8|17/19|109
    May|29/31|240||
    June|20/30|176||
    July|30/31|309.2||
    August|28/31|257||
    September|26/30|227||
    October|25/31|171||
    November|27/30|201||
    December|28/31|210||
    Total|317/365|2757.8.5|95/109|823

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So do we congratulate Brian or yourself on the sub 3? I feel conflicted. Mods, put a poll up please:D

Go for it and if you crash and burn, you crash and burn. You lose nothing for trying boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Half in 1.31 sounds like a good plan - close enough to sub 3 pace that you could make up the time in the second half if you're having a good day, leaving yourself a buffer on 3.06 if you're not. Have a great run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Best of luck Niall. After the last few races I've met you at I'm hoping first and foremost that you get round without any issues. Maybe I'm the one jinxing you and you'll be grand :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Sub 3 all the way meno, sandbagger :p, Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

All the best meno, although to really enjoy London, you need to be the back-end of a pantomime horse, or some such...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Success is a state of mind. If you want success, start thinking of yourself as a success.

You know what you should be thinking about.;) wishing you the run of your life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

All the best on Sunday Meno. I'm a firm believer in the simplicity of the midweek marathon paced run and the weekend long run as the bread and butter of marathon training. I'm sure it will serve you very well.

• Advertisement

All the best on Sunday Meno. I'm a firm believer in the simplicity of the midweek marathon paced run and the weekend long run as the bread and butter of marathon training. I'm sure it will serve you very well.

Best of luck to you too and hope to catch up with you afterwards.
    Agree 100% about the training. I saw your training for last week and actually had to double check I hadn't written it myself (well, apart from the paces ;-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

All the best at the weekend Meno...

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jonny99

Just wishing you all the best too,
    Go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hope you have a good run on Sunday whatever the time.Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Good luck bud, enjoy the gargle after. Most important thing afterall :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Best of luck meno. Sub 3 all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Good luck niall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Good luck bud, enjoy the gargle after. Most important thing afterall :-)

Do they sell Meanies in the U.K.? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Great running today. Super time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Well done. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Nice one Meno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Excellent running Meno!

Managed to get through the Finish line and exit pretty efficiently. Excellent organisation it has to be said, the roads were closed off and it allowed a swift transfer to the Coal Hole. Must have been 1pm by the time I got there, I had contemplated that I might be the first arrival but was immediately greeted by Brian, RK, KC, Robin and pronator amongst others. Grabbed a seat and settled in for the long haul.
    First few pints went down slowly, we’re talking 1 hour per pint here, nothing ground breaking but steady as she goes. Discussed Nutrition strategy with Pronator. We both agreed that there was no point rushing things, we’d opt for a burger after 5 or six pints or whenever the stomachs felt like it. No point forcing the issue so short into the session. Soon we were joined by Ronnie 085, Marathastew, Kiely Unusual among others and the pace dropped down to 30 minutes per pint at worst. Next thing I knew the Jamesons were being ordered and it all gets a bit blurry at this point. I had gotten the demons in my head a few hours before, even thought about dropping out early at one point but it was 11pm at this point and the pub was closing and all I could think about was more beer. Thankfully a few others had the same Idea and myself, MS, Ronnie and Kiely unusual headed back to the strand palace for more.
    I can’t quite remember all the details from this point on, but needless to say we wre well into double figures before I headed back the apartment. I had a bit of a moment finding the place, but a bit of help from the marshals (London’s Finest PC’s) and I hit the sack at x oclock. Wasn’t checking the watch at this point so I have no idea of my exact time…Oh wait you came here for a race report??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Brilliant! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

On fire. Great report!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

Excellent, London Marathon next year for me,sounds a lot more fun than the beer mile:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Congrats on the PB Meno. Your inching towards that sub 3 all the time.

Don’t ask me why but I was feeling pretty relaxed coming into this one. I hadn’t exactly had the best of training, had gotten sick a few months out and between races etc, I hadn’t ran over 20 miles since the end of February. Had some pretty horrid long runs too, had barely broken 8 min/mile in any of them much less done any MP miles In the LSRs. As I said, despite all that and the recent crappy results (19:03 5k for example) I actually felt ok. My midweek MP runs had been going well although I had only gotten up to 11 miles on them. I figured I would blag it though based on previous marathon training and ultra endurance.

Anyway the morning of the race was great, got up at 6:30 for breakfast and headed out with the other lads around 7:45 for the tube. All went really smooth and by 8:45 we were well placed in the GFA pen. Plenty of room here and the queues for the toilets weren’t even too bad. We were well able to chill out and even had plenty of time to shoot the breeze with all the other boardsies.

By 9:45 I was in the start pen. I had planned on going out with Village Runner and a few other lads from the apartment but I had lost them before the start and I was well back in the pen. There was a wonderful atmosphere as we waited for the race to start and there was a minutes silence for Boston Victims just before the off which was wonderfully observed.
    Soon we were off and I took a minute to cross the start line. This was actually a good thing as I was able to take a minute off at all the clocks (there was one every mile marker) and had a fair idea of pace early on. There was a little congestion on the first mile (nothing much) but before long I was into a lovely pace, everyone around me was doing the same. I concentrated on keeping things very easy but thankfully the splits were good. The 3hr pacer passed me at about 3 miles and he stayed right there for the next 3-4 miles. I was a little worried about that fact but the pace felt so easy I went with it. All was very conversational and I felt great, even high-fived a few kids as we headed through the cutty sark. Miles 1-7: 6:59, 6:51, 6:51, 6:46, 6:53, 6:57, 7:01.
    Around this point the pacer started to drift away and I was in no mood to push it to catch up. I was really determined to keep the effort easy but at the same stage not let up. I was already passing loads of people at this stage so I made a conscious decision to pick out a few runners who looked like they knew what they were doing and keep up with them.
    Miles 8-13. 6:55, 6:53, 6:55, 6:50, 6:56, 7:03. I went through half way at 1:30:59. I had planned on hitting it at 1:31, but missed it by a seconds ;-). Anyway I concentrated really hard at this point on feeling relaxed. The pace felt grand it has to be said, just felt like I was cruising. I was passing tonnes of other runners. I always gauge my effort on how good my stomach is. When I am really pushing it I can’t stomach any gels. I had already taken 4 by 10 miles and they were going down a treat. I started regretting only bringing 7, and had to start rationing them (took my 7th at 21 mile) but figured I had taken on loads of energy so there was little danger of hitting the wall. As I said miles 14-17 were a dream. Passing loads of runners and still felt like I was jogging. Started to question if I shouldn’t up the effort already but I guessed it was a bit early. 6:53, 6:52, 7:11 7:00.

There were a few tunnels and a few drags at this point so I couldn’t be sure of the garmin spilts but the legs were starting to get a little heavy and I noticed the right calf starting to cramp up a bit. The lack of Long runs was starting to catch up on me so I began to have to concentrate on keeping up the effort as most of the runner around me were now going noticeably slower. The pains in the calf were preventing me from picking up the pace so the effort stayed very similar throughout the rest of the race. I wasn’t wearing a HRM but from my lack of breathing I knew I wasn’t working as hard as previous marathons. I wasn’t watching the garmin much but I had a bit of a panic at mile 19 when I noticed a really slow split. I picked up the pace at this point for fear of not breaking 3:10 but the next mile was much quicker than was actually possible so it must have been a garmin malfunction, probably caused by the tunnels. Mile 18-21: 7:05, 7:30?? 6:35???, 7:09.
    Obviously at this stage it was all about survival. The legs were holding out but only just, I was counting down the miles big time here, just thinking ’keep it going for one more mile, then you will be able to run 8/8:30/9 minute miles and still get a PB’. It was a fine balance though as the cramps were getting imminent. It was all about the right leg, but just before the 22 mile mark, I was running near the barriers and some silly cow dropped a cardboard banner just in front of me. Nearly tripped over it and got an immediate spasm in my left calf. I turned round to give out but my whole left side went into an immediate cramp so I thought better of it and just kept going straight!! As I say is all about survival at this point. I didn’t check my pace band but I figured I must be getting close to missing out on a sub 3:05 and a BQ for Brian ;-) but I made a concerted effort not to check the garmin or the pace band until the 26 mile mark as I was doing the best I could at the time!! 22-26: 7:07, 7:18, 7:27, 7:04, 7:24.
    Finally hit the home straight and it was such a relief to see the ‘385 yards to go’ sign. A quick check of my 3:05 pace band confirmed the bad news at this point: I was 5 seconds down on 3:05 pace so I would have to up my effort . Picked it up at this point, starting a sprint fort the line, but that last all of 50 metres as my left calf then hamstring went into spasm, I tried to push on limping on the right side but the Right calf then hamstring followed the left’s example. Don’t ask me how but I was able to keep the effort up despite the problems, taking 7 seconds back over the last stretch to finish in 3:04:58. Happy days, little outside my target but I think I ran my best race on the day and am pretty sure I couldn’t have finished a second faster. You have to be happy when you give it 100% regardless of the result. :D.

Summary: 26.36 miles in 3:04:58 (7:01/mile)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Super stuff. Well done :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Great job meno, very well deserved!!

Gives me something to aim for in DCM ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement