Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Elementary [CBS - US] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do BBC America not show the UK Sherlock show?

I loved Johnny Lee Miller in Eli Stone but Sherlock Holmes not based in UK how will that work :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The role of Watson has been cast.
    The name is Watson, Joan Watson. Lucy Liu is set to play Sherlock Holmes’ sidekick in CBS’ drama pilot Elementary, whose tweaks to Arthur Connan Doyle’s classic include switching Watson’s gender to female. The project, written by Robert Doherty, is set in present day and stars Jonny Lee Miller as eccentric Brit Sherlock Holmes, a former consultant to Scotland Yard whose addiction problems led him to a rehab center in New York City. Just out of rehab, Holmes now lives in Brooklyn with “sober companion” Joan Watson (Liu), a former surgeon who lost her license after a patient died, while consulting for the NYPD.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/lucy-liu-to-play-watson-in-cbs-modern-sherlock-holmes-pilot-elementary/

This sounds like it will be woeful. Probably will be reduced to a procedural type show, should not be associated with Sherlock Holmes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    The role of Watson has been cast.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/lucy-liu-to-play-watson-in-cbs-modern-sherlock-holmes-pilot-elementary/

This sounds like it will be woeful. Probably will be reduced to a procedural type show, should not be associated with Sherlock Holmes.

The descpription sounds brutal....Wonder Woman brutal!

http://www.tvline.com/2012/02/lucy-liu-sherlock-holmes-elementary/

The descpription sounds brutal....Wonder Woman brutal!

http://www.tvline.com/2012/02/lucy-liu-sherlock-holmes-elementary/

Terrible casting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Was just going to post this. To be honest though, it was exactly what I expected. Maybe not Lucy Liu herself (Who I can't stand) but it was ALWAYS going to be a woman. I mean, if it wasn't then how could they fit in season after season of "will-they-or-won't-they" plotlines? I suppose the only way it could be worse is if it was on that Warner Bros teen station (Can't remember the name at the mo). It'd have Tom Welling at Sherlock and someone from One Tree Hill as Joanie W. complete with teen angsty soundtrack. Oh Sickboy sickboy sickboy. You need to go back onto the skag :)

*edit*: The CW. Remembered it. Phew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This is sounding worse and worse with every news bite ..... Next it will be the Hound of Brooklyn and Niagarabach Falls. :rolleyes:

Was just going to post this. To be honest though, it was exactly what I expected. Maybe not Lucy Liu herself (Who I can't stand) but it was ALWAYS going to be a woman. I mean, if it wasn't then how could they fit in season after season of "will-they-or-won't-they" plotlines? I suppose the only way it could be worse is if it was on that Warner Bros teen station (Can't remember the name at the mo). It'd have Tom Welling at Sherlock and someone from One Tree Hill as Joanie W. complete with teen angsty soundtrack. Oh Sickboy sickboy sickboy. You need to go back onto the skag :)

*edit*: The CW. Remembered it. Phew

So...it's basically Castle?

Mr E wrote: »
    This is sounding worse and worse with every news bite ..... Next it will be the Hound of Brooklyn and Niagarabach Falls. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see who they cast as Moriarity....maybe a super gay Irish guy? :D

Probably Tricia Helfer or someone like that. Wouldn't surprise me with the direction they're taking.

Casting news: http://www.digitalspy.ie/ustv/news/a370047/elementary-cbs-pilot-adds-prime-suspect-star-aidan-quinn.html

Quinn will play Captain Gregson, a New York cop who worked with Sherlock at Scotland Yard following the 9/11 attacks,

^ :eek: - :confused: - :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

aidan quinn, always stretches himself in his parts

Quinn as Watson would have been better imo

This pilot based on buzz seems a lock for a series pickup, expect Castle 2.0:

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-05-09/jonny-lee-miller-defends-us-sherlock-holmes-update-elementary

Series picked up by CBS

Oh GOD. That looked just about as bad as I feared. I think I got a full line in the cliche bingo: "He's an outcast"... "My character's more emotional" and let's not forget the daddy: "I think we're pushing the envelope". I didn't notice but was "thinking outside the box" in there somewhere? About the only good thing about it is that it's so bad looking (IMHO) that it shouldn't negatively impact BBC's Sherlock as it bears no relation to it.

God.... REALLY bad!

What does Steven Moffat think? --> http://blastr.com/2012/05/now-that-hes-seen-it-what.php

Reading this review confirms my suspicions, it's a straight proceadural with a twist, a tagged on Holmes twist. And i don't buy the "will they won't they' angle....OF COURSE! they will go there, a-la Castle.

It's basically Castle meets The Mentailts meets Lie To Me and sundry other proceadurals, with a twist: http://tvline.com/2012/07/05/fall-tv-preview-elementary-cbs/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Just after watching it. Now I haven't seen much of the BBC version so I can't compare them, but I rather liked CBS' take on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was decent enough. One problem with it is that it doesn't do much to differentiate it from other gimmick detective shows like The Mentalist, Monk, etc.

That and a severe lack of George Michael song and dance numbers. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Really liked this.. it's no Sherlock (you'll never beat the combination of Cumberbatch & Freeman, with Moffat's writing) but it ain't bad at all.

I think I can easily watch it without comparing to the BBC version though - it's not a remake anyways and can stand on it's own feet IMO.

Best thing about it was Miller, who is always excellent but definitely brings a nice energy and charisma to the role.

The only downside is Liu is probably one of the most unlikeable actresses out there.. and ain't Aidan Quinn looking old.
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    One problem with it is that it doesn't do much to differentiate it from other gimmick detective shows like The Mentalist, Monk, etc.
    Sherlock's attention to detail and soaring IQ differentiates it enough.. you could argue that it's like the character of Monk, but not nearly as bumbling.

Looking forward to more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Liked it a lot . Will keep watching for sure .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't know what it is but while watching Johnny Lee Miller as Sherlock, I was reminded of Castle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Basq wrote: »
    The only downside is Liu is probably one of the most unlikeable actresses out there

She definitely needs to smile more, but I do have a soft spot for her. Must check this out.

groovie wrote: »
    She definitely needs to smile more, but I do have a soft spot for her. Must check this out.
    That face could cut glass! :D

Watching it now and I must say I quite like it - they took the core idea of Sherlock Holmes in the 21st century, sent him to America and went on their own spin entirely, which is where shows like Inbetweeners and IT Crowd have failed in their US conversion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i liked it a lot, i remember hearing about it initially and thinking id never watch it, its kinda gotta a house meets castle vibe off it, i think miller a liu played well off each other, and itll be interesting having the other characters come more into the show as it goes along, and they have a nice story for the mid-season break already set-up with lui character only agreeing to stay with him for 6 weeks,

after seeing this i would say it will definitely be the breakout show this season, its got all the ingredients to be successful, and its on CBS which is the perfect channel for a show like this, and its also got last years breakout Person of Interest as its lead-in show,

EDIT: also nice to see aiden quinn in this, i knew i recognized him just took me a while to click on, i hoped his jacket would have been stolen though :P

Just finished watching and I'm really looking forward to watching it fully. It was really surprising just how much I did enjoy it and will definitely keep watching week-to-week, whenever it gets released.

• Advertisement

Just finished watching and I'm really looking forward to watching it fully. It was really surprising just how much I did enjoy it and will definitely keep watching week-to-week, whenever it gets released.
    the official pilot is the 27 of september, so it gonna be 4 weeks before episode 2 is out:(,

Could be worse, I remember when Fringe was first released, there was maybe a three month wait between the two?

OK, there seems to be a fair few middling-positive to positive reviews for the pilot so maybe I'll check it out...... But I really can't stand Lucy Liu!!!!

(Still think that promo earlier was one of the worst promos I've ever seem though)

OK, there seems to be a fair few middling-positive to positive reviews for the pilot so maybe I'll check it out...... But I really can't stand Lucy Liu!!!!

(Still think that promo earlier was one of the worst promos I've ever seem though)

Lucy Liu is really coming into her own on TV shows as of late though; with the likes of this and Southland, which I really think she was excellent in, she's really shown herself as a more matured and better actress.

Seems to be a general consensus on the forums, it's alot better then expected. It's basically a higher end proceadural....something CBS is known for. As stated it's like Monk meets Castle or The Mentalist, not my COT but must mirror comments that Lucy Lui shocked everyone how good she was re; Southland.

While Miller is good as Holmes I'm still not keen on Liu as Watson

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    While Miller is good as Holmes I'm still not keen on Liu as Watson
    your the first person ive come across thats indifferent to her,

Officially kicks off tonight in that HD goodness, personally i'm gonna give it a miss, too much comparisons and chatter about Sherlock.

You'll watch Femme Fatales, yet you'll skip this. Oh Richard, you are a puzzle!

Officially kicks off tonight in that HD goodness, personally i'm gonna give it a miss, too much comparisons and chatter about Sherlock.

That's a bit silly. Of course there's going to be comparisons, especially when they're both loosely based on the same source material, but individually they've gone off on their own little routes - while BBC's Sherlock sticks to the original stories, albeit with a modern twist, Elementary seems to have taken the characters and planted them in a completely new setting with new stories. The only real comparison is the fact that one is called Sherlock Holmes, the other Watson.

That's a bit silly. Of course there's going to be comparisons, especially when they're both loosely based on the same source material, but individually they've gone off on their own little routes - while BBC's Sherlock sticks to the original stories, albeit with a modern twist, Elementary seems to have taken the characters and planted them in a completely new setting with new stories. The only real comparison is the fact that one is called Sherlock Holmes, the other Watson.

If they play out this "will they, won't they" stich with Holmes and Watson.......and if they hook up in season 6 :mad:

• Advertisement

If they play out this "will they, won't they" stich with Holmes and Watson.......and if they hook up in season 6 :mad:

I think it would be interesting, Richard if you tried to only post about shows that you watch or plan on watching. Much as we all appreciate you're thoughts on ratings and demos I really dont think many others are as interested as you'd like to think that we are.

Why not? Holmes and Watson have always been fond of each other in every material based around their stories, at least this way it's more acceptable if they do hook up.

don ramo wrote: »
    the official pilot is the 27 of september, so it gonna be 4 weeks before episode 2 is out:(,

Very good ratings for the pilot for CBS

Watched this just now out of curiosity and my gut instinct was correct...it's not for me. It's not a bad show per se but it's very much a proceadural with a twist, and not even a Holmes-ian twist.

The shooting style and film quality and some of the sets remind me alot of UK shows, it's as i said a quirky Monk type charcter mixed with The Mentalist or Lie To Me or sundry other shows of it's ilk.

The deduction style is played out different to the UK version...feels more normal and unHolmes like. Miller is good in the part but i'm not sold on Lucy Liu considering her excellent Southland acting.

I can already sense sexual tension and the will they won't they mantra played out to death on shows like Castle and Bones. It's a higher end proceadural....that's not the tv i watch.

3/5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

interesting that the had mini moriaty there, with the super manipulative doctor, but who will be the big bad?

Perhaps the strongest of the new shows. Intelligent, well made drama with a fine cast and a hell of a lot of potential to grow into a real winner. Really don't see why people are complaining about the possible will they, won't they relationship that may develop over the series. It makes sense that the writers would bring in a little sexual tension between the leads and I doubt that it's going to turn into six seasons of Holmes and Watson skirting around their feelings from one another.

Why not? Holmes and Watson have always been fond of each other in every material based around their stories, at least this way it's more acceptable if they do hook up.

Maybe it is only me and the show has only started but I see zero chemistry and sparks between Miller and Liu

Ah there is a little bit, Liz. Some of the banter between them was playful and good fun.

I really liked this show, I'll definitely be sticking with it. The resolution to the case was very clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭squonk

Yes, much better than I'd hoped it would be. To be honest when I heard about the show first I thought WHY??? It's turning out quite well based on the first episode. I see it as a worthy successor to House which was loosely based on Holmes. I think I could end up really liking this a lot. Will they, won't they, I don't care really. As long as the plotlines remain strong I'll keep watching.

I think the standard of the first episode carried through to the second. Interesting story, clever resolution, entertaining all the way through.

• Advertisement
Advertisement