Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

semper currere

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Planned racing schedule is:

Clonakilty HM Dec 8th (booked)
    Belgooly 4 mile Dec 26th
    Dungarvan 10 mile Jan 27th (booked)
    plus hopefully Ballycotton Mar 3rd!

These are all races to keep me occupied as a build a base for next year, and hopefully get some speed into these old legs. :)

Sun 4th November

17.71 km run in 1:51:34

No pace miles in this, just a long slog. Sometimes, when you're not feeling well, or running particularly well, it's still consolation to know that you're banking some miles. This was my longest run since May, and I'll gladly take that.

However, churning stomach noises, combined with an array of fallen norovirus-stricken comrades, are foul omens for the next couple of days. Balls.

Week (39) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Oct 29th-Nov 4th | 4 | 44.56 km | 36.3 km | 650.39 km

Tue 6th November

8.06 km run in 48:06

Easy recovery run. Done on a treadmill, with 2% incline to keep it honest. Nice and warm.

Week (40) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Nov 5th - 11th | 1 | 8.06 km | 44.36 km | 658.45 km

Wed 7th November

7.22 km run in 40:00

Higdonesque tempo run, peaking on the fifth km. Splits/km, 6:18, 5:45, 5:30, 5:10, 4:50, 5:10, 5:30 and a slow finish. Done again on a treadmill, with 2% incline.

Nov 5th - 11th | 2 | 15.28 km | 51.58 km | 665.77 km

Fri 9th Nov

10.16km in 53:28, incorporating 8k @ 5:05/km. Done again on a treadmill, with 2% incline, the last km of pace felt like it would never end, but it's done now, and I'm looking forward to outdoor long run on Sunday.

Nov 5th - 11th | 3 | 25.44 km | 61.74 km | 675.93 km

• Advertisement

Sun 11th Nov

11.61km in 75:16 slow and very hilly run in the beautiful surroundings of West Cork. I had to call this short because I was visiting friends and didn't feel like I could disappear for any longer period. That and *maybe* the wine the night before :)

Nov 5th - 11th | 4 | 37.05km | 73.35km | 687.54 km [

Tue 13th Nov

8.06 easy km in 50:01, nice slow run.

Week (41) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Nov 12th - 18th | 1 | 8.06 | 81.41 km | 695.6 km

Wed 14th Nov

8.1 km in 45:01, 2km @ 6:15/km, followed by 9 x 400m @ 4:15/km pace, with 200m breathers @ 6:30/min pace. This was hard, the last 50m of each interval tasted like giving up. But they're done.

Nov 12th - 18th | 2 | 16.16 | 89.51 km | 703.7 km

Thurs 5th Nov

8.1 km in 50:30, easy pace. HR never went above 137, felt a little sluggish after yesterday but was running well about 6km in.

Nov 12th - 18th | 3 | 24.26 | 97.61 km | 711.8 km

Fri 16th Nov

8.1 km in 50:58 easy pace. Really beginning to appreciate the benefits of 10 min mile pace, my legs were like lead this morning, but they got well loosened by this.

100th log post. Hurrah!

Nov 12th - 18th | 4 | 32.36 km | 105.71km | 719.8 km

• Advertisement

Sat 17th Nov

17.71 km in 1:51:09 @ 6:16/km. This was a beautiful winter morning for running in the country. Did 2 loops incorporating a kilometre long 90 metre hill rise, and finished running by a river slowly swelling with the incoming tide. All runs should be like this!

Nov 12th - 18th | 5 | 50.07 km | 123.42 km | 737.51 km

Tues 20th Nov

8.25 km in 48:45, with last 800m at 4:50/km. Back to the dreadmill, which is proving not too dreadful at present. Heart rate was below 75% all the way, apart from the end bit at slightly quicker than PHMP. All good, more distance down. I'm hoping all this slow running will translate into endurance to hold the necessary speed for the half at Clonakilty!

Week (42) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Nov 19th - 25th | 1 | 8.25 km | 131.67 km | 745.76 km

Wed 21st Nov

8.12km in 45:00 tempo run (Higdon style since I'm following HH's intermediate HM plan at the moment). 1st km @ 6:10/km and increased speed each km by 20 secs per km, peaking at 4:50/km for the fifth km, and decreased by 20 secs again for each subsequent km. This was work but not too taxing. I'm always conscious that I might be doing something wrong for Higdon's prescribed tempo runs, but the 5 miles at PHMP booked in for Saturday will put manners on me, no doubt.

Nov 19th - 25th | 2 | 16.37 km | 139.79km | 753.88km

Thurs 22nd Nov

8.18km in 49:30 @ 6:03/km avg. Easy session with heart rate peaking around 75% of max. Nowt else to report, really, except calorie counting and running are combining nicely for steady weight loss over the last 4 weeks (204-199lbs). Must keep this up! :)

Nov 19th - 25th | 3 | 24.55 km | 147.97 km | 762.06 km

Fri 23rd Nov

9.2 km in 45:34 with 8.1km @ 4:52/km avg. Not sure what to make of this session really, I was hanging on for the last mile, but the first three showed real progress from my last pace run. It could be down to the fact that this was my fourth day running in a row, with a tempo only on Wednesday. It was a good session, no question, but it leaves me questioning whether my PHMP is a realistic goal on race day tomorrow fortnight. Who knows though, I'll have built up more endurance from next week (Hal Higdon intermediate plan week 11), and a lot can improve in two weeks for a HM. Must have faith in the slow kilometres I'm putting into my legs. :)

Next session is a 20km LSR on Sunday.

Nov 19th - 25th | 4 | 33.75 km | 157.17 km | 771.26 km

Sun 25th Nov

19.75 km in 1:59:41 (378m climb). The weather down here is cold and very wet, but I was lucky enough to get a relatively clear window to get this done. 3 x 6.5k road laps incorporating a similar hill in ascent and length to the one towards the end of the Clonakilty HM. I'm still not able to run up this hill at anything close to race pace, but I'm getting stronger each week, and more used to it. Visibility wasn't great, so the scenery I enjoy wasn't really there this week, but that's ok. I'm really getting used to running on food intake from the day before, rather than taking anything on in the morning. I felt it occasionally today but managed to shake off any negative thoughts, with the help of another episode of 'Marathon Talk'. Was ravenous when I got back though, and was delighted to raid one of my frozen spagbols from the freezer for lunch. Job!

That concludes week 10 of the Hal Higdon intermediate HM plan, I'm really pleased with how it's going so far, not that I'm anyway confident of doing anything extraordinary at Clon, but that I'm enjoying my running, keeping to the schedule, and feeling progress. Good times!

Nov 19th - 25th | 5 | 53.5 km | 176.92 km | 791.01 km

This has easily been my best month of running since I started in February, and I'll hit 200km for the month, and 806km/500miles for the year before the end of November. It's been an up and down year running wise, so I'm really pleased to achieve this.

Spent the last two hours adding various Garmin watches to internet baskets, reading reviews, clicking buy, then chickening out, before repeating the entire process all over again. Christ. Buyer's remorse BEFORE purchase? Madness.

Tue 27th Nov

8.1 km in 49:22, at a nice slow pace. 10 x 400m intervals tomorrow.

Week (43) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Nov 26th - Dec 2nd | 1 | 8.1 km | 185.02 km | 799.11 km

Wed 28th Nov

8.8 km in 49:01, 1.6k warm up, 10 x 400m intervals @ 4:00/km pace, 1k warm down, with ~200m walk/jog breaks between intervals.

I've decided that I'm not pushing myself hard enough for the hard sessions, so I changed pace from 4:15 to 4:00 for this session. This was certainly beneficial, and I was glad to finish, but I can work harder than this. No more 4:00/km+ pace 400m intervals.

Nov 26th - Dec 2nd | 2 | 16.9 km | 193.82 km | 807.91km

Today: 500+ miles logged since the start of the year, and 7lbs lost since mid October. Only 21lbs to go :)

Just entered next year's Cork City Marathon. It's going to be a busy year. :eek:

• Advertisement

Thurs 29th Nov

7.2km easy/recovery in 45:01. Legs felt absolutely fine after yesterday's session, but I still decided to ease off a little. Beautiful running weather at the moment, hope it lasts.

I've been thinking a lot about the HM on Saturday week, and I'm not sure I'll have the endurance to lug my frame around at the time I'd like/I've been training for (1:45), given that this course looks reasonably challenging. I've been training on similar hills, and while I can manage them now, I'm still doing them at 1 minute slower per/km (6:00/km as opposed to 5:00/km) which is the goal. I was looking forward to switching off and following the pacer, but I'm thinking now, I may revise my goal towards beating my 1:49:01 pb (set at Bandon, which had no comparably big hill, but lots of draining little ones). I'm feeling healthy, but maybe 2-3 weeks away from being confident. I'll decide next week on the run up to the race.

Next session calls for 3 miles @ race pace, which I'll fit in tomorrow or Saturday. I may bump this up to 5 just for peace of mind.

Nov 26th - Dec 2nd | 3 | 24.1 km | 201.02 km | 815.11km

Fri 30th Nov

8.1km in 45:06, 2km warm up to 4.8k @ PHMP (4:52/km), and 1.3km warm down.

This was my fourth day running in a row, along with a game of 5 a side last night, the result being that this was hard work, and I was very glad to finish the prescribed 3 miles at HMP. Even allowing for this, I still think that this pace will be a little too fast to maintain for 21.2km on Saturday week.

Going to be running a fifth day in a row tomorrow with my LSR (which thankfully will be done slowly), as I'm busy most of Sunday. But I'll be able to sneak in a recovery 4-5k then if I'm organised! :)

Nov 26th - Dec 2nd | 4 | 32.2 km | 209.12 km | 823.21km

It's also the end of the month, and November has me quite quite proud of my progress this last month! Table time:

Month | Days | km
    Jan | 0/31 | 0
    Feb | 8/29 | 54.89
    Mar | 13/31 | 126.29
    Apr | 10/30 | 112.53
    May | 9/31 | 117.27
    Jun | 0/30 | 0
    Jul | 2/31 | 13.02
    Aug | 2/31 | 12.02
    Sep | 8/30 | 61.03
    Oct | 16/31 | 117.04
    Nov | 21/30 | 209.12
    Dec | 0/31 | 0
    Totals | 89/335| 823.21

The goals for December are quite modest. I want to clock similar distance and session frequency to November (as part of getting a good base for when I start training for CCM at the start of February). I want to run a couple of 4 mile races also, just because they're there - the Simon Cork one on the 16th down by the Marina, and the Belgooly 4m on Stephen's day - weather pending! I want to lose another 4 lbs this month - a tough ask at xmas, but not impossible by any stretch. And of course, I would really like to beat 1:49:01 for Clonakilty in 8 day's time. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Just read your log for the first time. Read the first page and the last page. You have come a long way in that time from your first 600m intervals to the 400s at 4 min/km. Keep it up and it will all come together.

Thanks dna_leri, for taking the time to read and comment. I'm pleased with the progress, overall. I'll keep the head down and plug away. :)

Sat 1st Dec

18.84 km in 2:02:04

The plan was to do this around 6:30/km pace, which was convenient considering not even a knife-wielding maniac could make my tired legs go faster. So I plodded along up hill and down dale, clocked my kilometres and enjoyed the crisp morning air and glorious winter sunshine. 5 running days in a row may not have been the best prep for Saturday week, but it's all good base for 2013. :)

Now the only remaining running this week is this upcoming bath.

Nov 26th - Dec 2nd | 5 | 51.04 km | 18.84 km | 842.05 km

Tues 4th Dec

8.18 km in 50:02

My body really enjoyed the couple of rest days, and I felt fit, strong and comfortable this morning. No niggles or protesting body parts. Hurrah for slow easy runs!

After all my mental yoyo-ing re: race pace and the effect of hills and the usual self doubt, I'm just going to go out and try hit 8 min miles for as long as I can, and worry about leaving it all out there, rather than chasing numbers. If I've done enough, the finish time will take care of itself.

30 min tempo tomorrow and probably a recovery pace 5k on Thursday.

Week (44) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Dec 3rd - 9th | 1 | 8.18 km | 27.02 km | 850.23 km

Wed 5th Dec

8.36 km in 42:16, tempo/pace run.

I'm pretty happy with this. The goal was to run 30 mins or so at under 5:00/km pace, by feel if possible. I brought the phone to track, but I tried not to look at it save every now and again to make sure I was on track (see split 5 for instance). Splits were (per km):

1 5:43 (warm up :rolleyes:)
    2 4:56
    3 4:49
    4 4:49
    5 5:01
    6 4:52
    7 4:46
    8 5:12
    9 5:51

Looking forward to Saturday now. I might do a few easy km tomorrow morning to keep things ticking over, but otherwise, I'm good to go. It was nippy out at sundown, and I only indulged in a short warm up and warm down, but my legs behaved themselves. My breath was a little short, but I put that down to the lack of warmup - I usually need ages to get my breathing right. :confused:

Dec 3rd - 9th | 2 | 16.54 km | 35.38 km | 858.59 km

Sat 8th Dec

1.49 km warm up and 21.1km (Clonakilty HM)

Where to begin? I drove down nice and early, after a big bowl of porridge around 5:30. Collected my pack and watched the sun rise over Inchydoney beach with a nice hot cup of tea. Did a warm-up slow mile running on the beach, and got my stretching done in plenty of time for the official start time of 9:00am. So far so good.

It was clear from about 8:55 that no-one had a clue what was going on, from organisers down to the runners. They separated the marathon runners from the half-marthoners and 10k runners. The PA seemed loud, but unfortunately it was pointed in the wrong direction from the majority of the crowd of runners corralled before the start line. We were stuck waiting about 30 mins (I stopped looking at the watch) before we finally got going. Luckily it was a fine sunny day, and I was kept warm by the heat of the surrounding runners - the only handy aspect on a cold day. I had planned to follow pacers, but they were at the front by the time I spotted them, and out of sight by the time I crossed the start line. Probably just as well, I'd probably have blown up at some point at that pace, with those hills.

The race itself went as well for me as I expected, the hills slowed me up, but I ran a better half than I did in May. I am carrying more weight than I was then, and got round a tougher course in a similar time. The object of this race was to have something to aim for to get me back running, and contribute to base building for next year. I felt strong enough for 11 miles, and tired for the last two, a good indication of where I am.

My app clocked me at 1:48:12, but my official time texted to me yesterday was 1:50:13 - I'm a little disappointed with it, since it's outside my PB of 1:49:01. I have no idea where the extra couple of minutes came from, but whatever, I know exactly where I'm at for the next one.

edit: chip times in, 1:48:37, which translates into a 24 second PB. :P I'll take it!

So in summation, very delayed start, disorganised, ridiculously narrow first half-mile, but afterwards a very nice race with some sapping ascents, on a gloriously beautiful day. Some of the issues with organisation are outlined on the race thread in the events sub-forum. I'm loath to criticise any event, but I'll be giving this one a skip next year, I think the new location couldn't handle the numbers. But I'll keep an eye on reports, and a good review next year will probably bring me back the following year.

Dec 3rd - 9th | 3 | 39.13 km | 57.97 km | 881.18 km

Next week, it's some easy running to get the legs running again, along with a 3 x 2m at desired 10 mile pace. The preparation for Dungarvan starts here!

Tues 11th Dec

8.1 km easy incorporating 1k @ 4:28/km (sub target ten mile pace) in 48:10.

'Easy' pace. I did this directly after lunch, since that was the only free slot today for exercise. Nothing easy about it, HM effort for recovery/easy pace. Still, it was manageable, no big deal, and this run will go a long way towards shutting up the 'quitting demons' which tend to hang around after every race. It was a good idea to register for CCM so early. I'll probably keep it to easy running this week, and start putting in sessions for Dungarvan from next week on. Although I may insert some pace sections into the LSR this week.

In the never ending battle with thigh chafing, I've turned to the wonders of talc. Certainly doing the trick after running anyway!

Week (45) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Dec 10th - 16th| 1 | 8.1 km | 66.07 km | 889.28 km

• Advertisement

Wed 12th Dec

7.74 km easy in 43:45

Moved back to Cork City from the countryside today and celebrated by taking advantage of its night running facilities (ie street lights). Drizzly but not particularly cold, this was short and sweet enough, took the hills with only a slight change in effort compared to the pain they induced not three months ago. Visible signs of progress are always nice! :)

Week (45) | Sessions | WTD | MTD | YTD
    Dec 10th - 16th| 2 | 15.84km | 73.81 km | 897.02 km

Back to routine tomorrow, which means an early start for an early run. Better build up a calorie deficit for tomorrow's Xmas party!

Advertisement