Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last straw with Gamestop and what not

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Dayum wrote: »
    Just asking a question is buying a console for...maybe, 2 games...over the course of 3/4 years warranted?!

Not at all, of course it's not, in no way is anyone saying that.... but crucially you are implying there are indeed only going to be 2 games that are exclusives that you would want to play.

Having played and owned both consoles and PCs for both 2 decades all i can say is either side are missing out.

PC gamers miss out on some console exclusive franchises.
    Console gamers miss out on PC exclusives and the advantage of a mouse/keyboard for the likes of strategy games ted.

Anyway... Gamestop huh? Who'd have thunk it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

I better stock up on pokemom games for the Xmas rush so, 100 a piece sure why not xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Cormac... wrote: »
    Not at all, of course it's not, in no way is anyone saying that.... but crucially you are implying there are indeed only going to be 2 games that are exclusives that you would want to play.

Having played and owned both consoles and PCs for both 2 decades all i can say is either side are missing out.

PC gamers miss out on some console exclusive franchises.
    Console gamers miss out on PC exclusives and the advantage of a mouse/keyboard for the likes of strategy games ted.

Anyway... Gamestop huh? Who'd have thunk it?

What is coming out on console in the future that you're looking forward to?

The only thing I can think of is probably Halo 5 atm. Nothing else really.

What is coming out on console in the future that you're looking forward to?

The only thing I can think of is probably Halo 5 atm. Nothing else really.

Someone needs to sit you down and explain that just because you have an opinion on something doesn't make it an absolute irrefutable fact.

You may be looking forward to Halo 5, but I couldn't care less about the Halo series.

What I'm looking forward to currently on a console would be:
    Destiny (though that'll surely be on PC eventually), Bloodbourne, Uncharted 4

What I'm looking forward to currently on a PC would be:
    Civ: Beyond Earth, Starcraft 2 part 3.

It's a case of each to their own. And many PC only gamers miss out on lots that people willing to play consoles have access to.

But if I wanted to be completely dismissive of your argument in a word?....

Journey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Cormac... wrote: »
    Someone needs to sit you down and explain that just because you have an opinion on something doesn't make it an absolute irrefutable fact.

You may be looking forward to Halo 5, but I couldn't care less about the Halo series.

What I'm looking forward to currently on a console would be:
    Destiny (though that'll surely be on PC eventually), Bloodbourne, Uncharted 4

What I'm looking forward to currently on a PC would be:
    Civ: Beyond Earth, Starcraft 2 part 3.

It's a case of each to their own. And many PC only gamers miss out on lots that people willing to play consoles have access to.

But if I wanted to be completely dismissive of your argument in a word?....

Journey

I've never said my opinion was an absolute fact. Never once have I gotten confrontational. I wanted a mature discussion on it and I'd be the first to leave the thread if it became childish. That's why I am asking you. As for Halo, I'm not in love with it myself. Didn't play 4 but I know 5 is one of the big one's coming out next year. Uncharted is another one. Beyond that, I see nothing else to warrant the money of buying a new console.

• Advertisement

I wanted a mature discussion on it and I'd be the first to leave the thread if it became childish

Well lets just leave it at that so as this whole ground has been trodden many times in the last decade :pac:

Also.... go play Journey

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,858 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lads, leave the PC vs Console debate out of this

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

I have a €10 deposit with Gamestop for Destiny. I don't really fancy paying €75 or €80 for it. Can I get my deposit back or would I lose it if I didn't buy Destiny in Gamestop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

They might give it back to you, or they might try and give it to you in credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Irishnige

smyths are always cheaper gamestop have no compitation with game gone and people don't know about smyths

• Advertisement

People do know about symths. But theres a lot more gamestops around than symths I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

cloud493 wrote: »
    People do know about symths. But theres a lot more gamestops around than symths I suppose.

Smyths only in bigger towns. In my town I got only Xtravision and Gamestop. Not much difference between those two these days.
    so yeah, for someone who lives in smaller towns, the only option left is online retailers. In most cases its not worth going to bigger city as expense on petrol destroys any savings compared to when you buy it from Local gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Ordered a new dualshock 4 off Amazon, it's about 5 days late and all they are saying is wait until the 22nd. Getting a game now is the only reason for buying retail and with new releases and preloading it's means less every year.

I've bought PC games and rather than installing them then and there just added the code and let steam download it.

Unless Smyths considered Game only stores (software zone?) they can't physically have them in as many places as Gamestop.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Maestro84 wrote: »
    I have a €10 deposit with Gamestop for Destiny. I don't really fancy paying €75 or €80 for it. Can I get my deposit back or would I lose it if I didn't buy Destiny in Gamestop.
    You can cancel any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Realistically, I'll probably never buy a new game from GameStop again at this rate. I'm not bothered, as they're a company I've never liked nor respected and have found staff with bad attitudes more frequently in their stores than most others.

Buying online, or digitally is just cheaper. It's a shame though, I like looking at game boxes on my shelf, but I've moved mostly to digital now that I've discovered buying games from the US PSN store.

Varik wrote: »
    Ordered a new dualshock 4 off Amazon, it's about 5 days late and all they are saying is wait until the 22nd. Getting a game now is the only reason for buying retail and with new releases and preloading it's means less every year.

I've bought PC games and rather than installing them then and there just added the code and let steam download it.

Unless Smyths considered Game only stores (software zone?) they can't physically have them in as many places as Gamestop.

Amazon became real ass lately with Supersaver delivery. It used to take about 3-5 days, now it takes about 7+++ days.

Can't say I've noticed with that amazon. Although my replacement PS4 from them was dispatched on the friday, didnt show up for 9 days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As a quick update to the OP and their problem with the online price of Pokémons upcoming releases on the 3DS, I took the step of actually asking them via their Facebook page about the pricing and they have agreed there seems to be something amiss and are looking into it.
    Wow, who would have thought that asking the company in question instead of just complaining here would have got results?
    Amazihg!

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

X and Y anlre 50 in GameStop. I will assume ruby and sapphire will be the same

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm?

Perhaps just a touch, but it does pay to contact them when something is so obviously amiss.

Just another aside, Gamestop are doing that deal again, trade in 5 games off a list, get €80 minimum credit, awesome. But its for loyalty card members only.

Just another aside, Gamestop are doing that deal again, trade in 5 games off a list, get €80 minimum credit, awesome. But its for loyalty card members only.

Is there list of games?

Yeah they have it in store.

Something else I like, the gamestop loyalty card, even including the free level 1 card, are now used as like gift cards, e.g the trade value can be put onto them, and used however you like, and can be used online. Thats really neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,135 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Penn wrote: »
    It's their Loyalty System that's going to stop me from buying from them.

Their Level 3 system allows you to return a new game within 7 days for a full cash refund. Took me a while to figure out why they were pushing it so hard as a reason to sign up. Then I realised it's so they can get the game back (where they would have only gotten a percentage of the original sale), then put the game up for second hand sale for about a fiver less and they get all of it.

One of the staff trying to sell me on it even told me you could do it as many times as you like. Though he then told me there was one guy who was doing it once or twice a week so they decided to limit him to only once every two weeks.

This isn't anything new with the loyalty system. Gamestops entire model of revenue is based of the second hand market. PLenty of developers have called them out for being more damaging to the gaming industry then piracy, and rightly so.

How many guys and gals here go into them and maybe hand over two recent titles plus a fiver or tenner, whatever the deal is, for a new release and think they got themselves a bargain. Then Gamestop slap on the second hand sticker and reap 100% profit on the sale.

The loyalty system is just another part to their model, which will come into issues as PS4 and Xbox start pushing out their online libraries and game sharing functionality.

I stopped buying in Gamestop years ago. I go in for the laugh every now and again. I did buy a PS4 of them, because they couldnt set an inflated price on it. But typically I'll buy all my games from Amazon, or when Tesco run the €45 deal on new releases.

I think when you understand their business model, you tend to be turned off by them. When you read the damage they do to the gaming indsutry, albeit not intentionally, it really turns me off them.

They are also VERY profit orientated. The moment competition started to swindle away on the high street, their prices started creeping up. They never look to try provide a competitive price and it will be their downfall in the end. Like most retail outlets on the high street, they trick themselves into believing they are being competitive by comparing high street values, completely ignoring the massive upward trend of online shopping.

Like put this in perspective.

Any game I even remotely consider buying, I pre-order on Amazon. I could have 12 games on pre-order at any time. You only EVEr get billed when the game ships. So if a review looks ropey for a game, I can cancel, no hassle, no fees or issues. There isn't even a deposit required.

If I don't think I can afford that many titles at once, no problem , cancel.

The best part being that the prices constantly drop throughout the phase of waiting on a release, and Amazon guarantee you will always pay the lowest price since you pre-ordered. Two games have dropped 8 euro for me in the last 7 days.

And then I get the game, normally on release day. I don't have prime or pay for shipping, but I think I'm just lucky.

And their customer service? pwoah. It's a pretty flawless experience.

I don't get overly stressed about Gamestop, I'm over it at this stage. I would probably be more annoyed if I wasn't aware of online shopping, or if a retail outlet was my ONLY means of acquiring games. But it's not

And it's not for anyone.

Without even looking at the list of games, will safely assume the games will be price on the shelves at €40 minimum, where 100% of the sales go to Gamestop, and the developers/production companies receive no portion off this sale.

This is what prompted some production companies to lash out at Gamestop last year, round the time it was mooted for new technology to link licenses to consoles. A lot of people gve Microsoft flack for this, but it was actually something suggested by the big gaming companies, as they are simply put loosing out on massive revenue from sales being made in the second hand market.

It's all a cycle at the end of the day. sure it appears a good deal for the customer, but this leads to a loss in revenue for the developers/producers, which mean they become more selective in the games they make to ensure good sales. This means a loss in innovation, and even an increase in RRP as the distributors looks to recoup profit matching that of the increased budgets being spread out on modern game developement

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭LandonRicketts

I remember i went in to check if they were stocking the Mario Kart 8 special edition in my local Gamestop. After I asked about Mario Kart 8, the staff member replied "for which console?". Shocking how they employ people who probably wouldn't know how to turn on the consoles.

Used to shop in gamestop but the last straw is when they were charging 75 bones for Watch Dogs on the PS4. Luckily I traded in 2 games I got from that XV Marketplace fire-sale and got it for 9.99. Do all my games buying from VGP+. May take a week or two to get here but worth it since your only paying around €46 for a new release!

One of my biggest problems with GameStop is that many of their stores are staffed by people with no interest in any gaming. A frined of mine used to work in the Galway store and when he asked the manager why he was told "it's bad enough I have to work in a game store, I don't want to have to listen to fucking game talk all day."

The last time I was in a store actually at the till was my Ps4 purchase. In the queue, the amount of misinformation and just blatant rubbish I heard being spouted was unbelievable.

They were also being very quick in telling people how if there was any issues that they needed to contact Sony, as Gamestop weren't reponsible. I'm not one of those to but in on things like that, but when the girl fed me that spiel during my purchase I calmy advised her that she was providing false information ,and that the liability for the first 12 months is with Gamestop, not Sony.

I raised this on their Facebook and they pretty much denied this could have happened : / (despite the dozens of replies with people saying they had been told the same)

• Advertisement

I remember i went in to check if they were stocking the Mario Kart 8 special edition in my local Gamestop. After I asked about Mario Kart 8, the staff member replied "for which console?". Shocking how they employ people who probably wouldn't know how to turn on the consoles.

Used to shop in gamestop but the last straw is when they were charging 75 bones for Watch Dogs on the PS4. Luckily I traded in 2 games I got from that XV Marketplace fire-sale and got it for 9.99. Do all my games buying from VGP+. May take a week or two to get here but worth it since your only paying around €46 for a new release!

This conversation came up earlier in the year regarding Gamestop, might have been last year. But I remember I got involved in the chatter because I had just read an article with some stats about the average recycle of a game in Gamestop.

It was something like your average top tier release recycles through the gamestop system 6 times in 12 months.

So while the initial purchase of say €60, a percentage of that goes to the correct people, the following five sales ( typically brought down to the €50 mark) would generate €200 for gamestop exclusively, with no margin provided to distributors or developers.

In fairness hats off its a clever system that isn't exactly new, but it's a hot topic in the gaming industry for producers

Advertisement