Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last straw with Gamestop and what not

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

That trade in deal they do for new releases isn't awful either. And occasionally you get hidden gems, like I found the world ends with you in there on thursday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

I actually think most people have coped on not to trade in to Gamestop because the pre owned section has nothing really in it any more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,548 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I actually think most people have coped on not to trade in to Gamestop because the pre owned section has nothing really in it any more.

Please, keep telling people this, means more for me!
    I have seldom failed to find a gen most weeks from nipping into Gamestop, typically I'll find some gold on the DS or Wii, and the collection has become quite substantial as a result.

They have a good selection, particularly with pre owned Wii games, but again I cant help but think €41.99 is too much to pay for say, Mario Galaxy 2 4 years after its release, no matter how good it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,548 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You sure it's that expensive?
    Well, if it is, buy it elsewhere, get it on Adverts for 15.
    But, just to be clear, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is easily worth every cent, even if it is 4 years old!

• Advertisement

Well it is on Henry street. According to the price sticker on my MG2, I paid €44.99 for it at launch, and I don't regret it :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I say just order online. Even if it doesn't arrive on time you don't need to play it on day of release.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I say just order online. Even if it doesn't arrive on time you don't need to play it on day of release.

Yeah pretty much what I do. My local GameStop is the one in Swords and I stick my head in every now and then but very very rarely find any value.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Haven't bought anything from GS since the PS4, I wanted to deal with them for a machine but not for the software I'll be using on it...

Get games mainly in XV or Smyth's even, anyway to avoid GS....

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

I think people have to stop going to Gamestop and then they might the idea that charging 75 for a PS4 game is too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

The pricing of pre-owned games in Gamestop is fairly erratic to be honest, you'd want to be careful not to get robbed.

I was looking for a copy of FUSE a few weeks back and checked in GameStop for a copy. They had it new on PS3 for €34.99 and €24.99 for a second hand copy. Checked in Smyths and got a new copy of the game for €7.99.

Had to check Saints Row 4 for a friend earlier this week and the Commander in Chief pack on Xbox was €14.99 in Smyths thanks to it being 50% off. GameStop still have it for €54.99.

I guess the morale of the story is that if you rely on GameStop for your gaming needs then it's best to invest in a large tube of lubricant as they're going to bend you over the counter every chance they get. Tryign to return anything in there, even unopened is difficult unless you're part of the rewards system and on level 3. I was given Wolfenstein on PS4 awhile back and went back into Gamestop with the idea that I could exchange it for something else as I already owned the game on PC. Didn't have the receipt but was given a copy of the credit card bill which had the transaction. Gamestop refused point blank to even consider taking it back telling me that the card could belong to anyone. They did suggest that if I joined the rewards system and paid a few there could be something they could do. Ended up going over to Smyths and told one of the lads there what had happened, he called out his manager who said that they'd take it in no bother. I thought he was on about trading it in but he scanned the game and then told me that I had €64.99 to spend there and then or put on a gift card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

The draconian business models and distribution system of retailers like Gamestop is dying.

Consumers are moving to the digital world more and more and it's only a matter of time until Gamestop closes it's doors for good. This is a good thing. These stores have to cover overheads so naturally you're going to be paying extra for their operations. Digital is the future. Embrace it.

Dayum wrote: »
    The draconian business models and distribution system of retailers like Gamestop is dying.

Consumers are moving to the digital world more and more and it's only a matter of time until Gamestop closes it's doors for good. This is a good thing. These stores have to cover overheads so naturally you're going to be paying extra for their operations. Digital is the future.

Don't be so quick to assume that GameStop will be gone anytime soon, their recent deal with developers to have input into the development of titles is going to see them well set as a lot of gamers will happily pay above odds for whatever extra GameStop have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

None of the "extra" content gamestop will get as DLC will be worth a crap though. They've also got no input in development of anything

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

COYVB wrote: »
    None of the "extra" content gamestop will get as DLC will be worth a crap though. They've also got no input in development of anything

Aren't they thinking of starting to fund development now though for exclusive DLC?

http://www.polygon.com/2014/7/10/5887169/gamestop-funding-exclusive-content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

After the missed up my Borderlands 2 Pre order for the PS vita

I am staying clear of them as i didn't even get told sorry that they didn't get my game in and i would have to wait another 5 days if i wonted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I actually don't mind Gamestop, good prices on Consoles and many (but not all 2nd hand games), they give you store credit with trade ins etc.
    If you want to buy low and sell high on the 2nd hand market - use Adverts
    If you want cheaper hard copies of games - Use Amazon.co.uk
    If you want to get a digital copy via an online store, then go for it!
    If you want to change your computers regional settings, well work away.
    Personally I find a balance of all the above points to be extremely satisfying as a consumer/trader.
    And for being talking about going "Full Digital" and using steam as an example, this needs to stop, not everyone is using a PC, and it just smacks of some "PC Master Race" subtly which is frankly beneath you, stay satisfied in your ivory tower you gods walking among mortals :P

Cormac... wrote: »
    I actually don't mind Gamestop, good prices on Consoles and many (but not all 2nd hand games), they give you store credit with trade ins etc.
    If you want to buy low and sell high on the 2nd hand market - use Adverts
    If you want cheaper hard copies of games - Use Amazon.co.uk
    If you want to get a digital copy via an online store, then go for it!
    If you want to change your computers regional settings, well work away.
    Personally I find a balance of all the above points to be extremely satisfying as a consumer/trader.
    And for being talking about going "Full Digital" and using steam as an example, this needs to stop, not everyone is using a PC, and it just smacks of some "PC Master Race" subtly which is frankly beneath you, stay satisfied in your ivory tower you gods walking among mortals :P

CONSOLES?!?!

My sympathies.

I'm not much of a PC gamer either so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

WHEN i did game on consoles, rarely did i buy from Gamestop.

Probably only day 1's like GTA:SA but everything else was cheaper online a week/month later while they still had them for 50-60 quid.

Haven't bought anything in a bricks and mortar since 2009.

I could never go back to consoles. It would be like going watching a VHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Maestro84

Dayum wrote: »
    I could never go back to consoles. It would be like going watching a VHS.

Well, that's your loss really isn't it. You're going to miss a lot of great games with that attitude.

Maestro84 wrote: »
    Well, that's your loss really isn't it. You're going to miss a lot of great games with that attitude.

But is it enough to actually warrant paying 400 quid for a console?! I wouldn't think so...

I'm actually sorry I even made that comment now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Why does every thread in the games forum turn into a consoles V Pc master race fight ?.

One of my biggest problems with GameStop is that many of their stores are staffed by people with no interest in any gaming. A frined of mine used to work in the Galway store and when he asked the manager why he was told "it's bad enough I have to work in a game store, I don't want to have to listen to fucking game talk all day."

"it's bad enough I have to work in a game store, I don't want to have to listen to fucking game talk all day."

Charming man :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

While we are mentioning things wrong with GameStop and bringing in the master race, the PC selection is really crap there. I found it hidden in the corner and there was about 5 games.

• Advertisement

Not really a PC Vs. Console thing. Just asking a question is buying a console for...maybe, 2 games...over the course of 3/4 years warranted?!

Why would we pay 500 Euro to play Halo 5?!

Advertisement