Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last straw with Gamestop and what not

Options
  • 16-08-2014 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I happened to be browsing their website, and saw the outrageous price they're charging for Pokemon Omega Ruby

http://www.gamestop.ie/Nintendo%203DS/Games/46267/pokemon-omega-ruby

€60 for a 3DS game, are you kidding me?

I looked at the website and they seem to be charging €80 for PS4/Xbox one games now. Thats just ludicrous, how do you justify those prices? Last straw, I'm now entirely buying off amazon/zavvi/shopto.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

As much as I hate the &%$*£ there system uses €60 as a holding price for most games in the pre-release stage, it will probably be €50 at most, just don't buy from them is all I can say as they are really pushing it with their bs at this stage.

Again the €80 for PS4/Xbox One games would be a holding price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yeah but the games are €75 anyway. The leap to €80 isn't a huge one. They can **** off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They're not making you buy from them.
    So why get so stressed?
    It's going to be €44.99 according to Smyths website so the Gamestop price is probably an error.
    Once again, why become so annoyed, it's not like they're calling to your house and demanding money from you.

Cos its still too much to pay. How do you justify those prices?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

cloud493 wrote: »
    Cos its still too much to pay. How do you justify those prices?

I don't have to, if I buy the game I'll get it from the cheapest place possible, which appears to be unlikely to be Gamestop.
    If you think it's too much buy it from Smyths instead.
    Or Amazon, or HMV/Xtravision, the choice is yours.
    Still no reason to get annoyed about it.
    If they want to charge that money and lose customers, let them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People still buy games in shops for inflated prices? How quaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,377 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's their Loyalty System that's going to stop me from buying from them.

Their Level 3 system allows you to return a new game within 7 days for a full cash refund. Took me a while to figure out why they were pushing it so hard as a reason to sign up. Then I realised it's so they can get the game back (where they would have only gotten a percentage of the original sale), then put the game up for second hand sale for about a fiver less and they get all of it.

One of the staff trying to sell me on it even told me you could do it as many times as you like. Though he then told me there was one guy who was doing it once or twice a week so they decided to limit him to only once every two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    People still buy games in shops for inflated prices? How quaint.

If there was only a few euro in it, I'd probably buy from a bricks and mortar shop, since it keeps the people who work there employed, which is a good thing. Some price differences are insane though, and social conscience or not, I'm not paying silly money.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

Penn wrote: »
    It's their Loyalty System that's going to stop me from buying from them.

Their Level 3 system allows you to return a new game within 7 days for a full cash refund. Took me a while to figure out why they were pushing it so hard as a reason to sign up. Then I realised it's so they can get the game back (where they would have only gotten a percentage of the original sale), then put the game up for second hand sale for about a fiver less and they get all of it.

One of the staff trying to sell me on it even told me you could do it as many times as you like. Though he then told me there was one guy who was doing it once or twice a week so they decided to limit him to only once every two weeks.

I remember a few years back you could bring games back within 7 days if you did`nt like.Then tried it 2 weeks ago and they told me they dont it anymore.Found out the reason now Thanks.

But what I am starting to do now is buy the games off the American store paid 40 for Watch dogs on PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,377 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I remember a few years back you could bring games back within 7 days if you did`nt like.Then tried it 2 weeks ago and they told me they dont it anymore.Found out the reason now Thanks.

And what's more, you can pay 18 quid to skip straight to the Level 3 loyalty. So you can pay them for the privilege of them screwing publishers out of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Donedeal and Adverts were created to avoid this carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,103 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

nails1 wrote: »
    Donedeal and Adverts were created to avoid this carry on.

Very much doubt you'll see Pokemon on Adverts before Christmas, if you do it'll probably be some fcuken gouger selling it for €60+ because it will be sold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

LOL.....people still use Gamestop?!

Can't believe they're still open. Some people will be dragged into 2014 kicking and screaming.

Re loyalty schemes
    No one is forcing it on you, so why complain when they are introduced?
    Just shop elsewhere!
    You can preorder online, save money as well.

Right but if I want to buy a game, I should be able to go out and buy one. I shouldn't have to shop online. It annoys me.

Right but if I want to buy a game, I should be able to go out and buy one. I shouldn't have to shop online. It annoys me.

It annoys you that purchasing a game has become cheaper and quicker than ever before?

Fair enough.

Ordering off amazon and waiting for it to arrive takes say, 4 days.
    Theres a gamestop, xtravision, hmv and symths within half an hour walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I love my local gamestop, but I rarely buy games in there lately. Ps4 game prices are just retarded. Wii u and 3ds prices are better online too. All my pc games are purely digital now.
    Xtravision is not better. 70eu for diablo 3 too. Feck that.

Ordering a game from Amazon?! That's as bad as going to Gamestop.

Ever heard of Steam, G2A? Like I said.....kicking and screaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Games are cheaper online nearly all of the time. HMV used to be reasonable though, not sure if the new places still are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Don't like GameStop myself. Would sooner buy from Argos or Smyths Toys.
    Bought GTAV with them and qued up for over 2 hours at the midnight launch. Only to be told the game was 5 euro more than advertised. I hate that :rolleyes: Lets get stuck into these fools type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Very much doubt you'll see Pokemon on Adverts before Christmas, if you do it'll probably be some fcuken gouger selling it for €60+ because it will be sold out.

You guys do realise that the new Pokémon game you are discussing is a 3DS game right? And as such is available as a digital download using a 3DS, in your underwear at home at midnight the day it releases.

Therefore it can never sell out, anybody who wants it can get it and for the RRP too. Nobody would ever have a need to buy it in Gamestop or on adverts for exorbitant prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pok%C3%A9mon-Omega-Ruby-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B00KCFLXFO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408230408&sr=8-1&keywords=pokemon

£32 for sapphire, £33 for ruby which works out at about €41, same as game.co.uk although if you want it on release day you would be better off getting it at Smyths which is €45 for each of them. The 3DS estore will be at £40, no idea what the euro price is.

Waiting to see who is doing pre order bonuses and what they are.

So, you've a choice of 4 to buy from and your having a fit over one of them giving a bad deal?
    There isn't a problem there, I don't know why you think there is.
    And, Gamestop can sell games at any price they like, they aren't obliged to give the best value, however desirable that might be to everyone.
    It's not like you live somewhere and Gamestop are your only choice, a monopoly, and you have to buy from them.
    Also, if you are so interested in preordering, as that was the link you pointed to in the OP, then you can do that on Amazon and have the item on the day of release, if not sooner.

A bad price does not equal me having a fit over a bad deal. Its me being annoyed that the shops seem determined to rip people off, to the extent I am being forced to buy online when I would rather shop on the high street.

I happened to be browsing their website, and saw the outrageous price they're charging for Pokemon Omega Ruby

http://www.gamestop.ie/Nintendo%203DS/Games/46267/pokemon-omega-ruby

€60 for a 3DS game, are you kidding me?

I looked at the website and they seem to be charging €80 for PS4/Xbox one games now. Thats just ludicrous, how do you justify those prices? Last straw, I'm now entirely buying off amazon/zavvi/shopto.

I'll just quote your original post, you definitely appear pretty angry about a perceived wrong doing by Gamestop, the final straw you describe it as in the thread title.

And you quoted three other places to shop with on the high street, so not being forced to do anything :rolleyes:

Annoyed, not angry. Different emotions.

Fair enough.
    You still have bricks and mortar choices though, with four within your easy reach.
    The trend I've seen is that if Gamestop are giving to you dry from behind you'll probably have better luck with Smyths.
    Prebook with them, the game is on their site for 44.99 and just pick it up on the morning of release.
    Or, do as suggested and buy it from the Eshop, on the night of release for the and price and be playing it into the wee hours of the morning.

Aye, thats probably what I'l ending up doing. I actually really like amazon, good price, good range, excellent customer service. I just miss the days when I used to go the shops and buy my games. Cant beat the feeling :pac:

• Advertisement

I was in Gamestop today and saw a copy of Trackmania for the Wii, and was about to take it to the till and saw the price, 29.99 for it used!
    I was prepared to go apoplectic but had a look online and, lo and behold, that's actually cheap.
    Couple that with some decent deals of late, like Infinite Space for the DS for a fiver, when is typically a hell of a lot more, I've had more good deals there than bad, and that's why I'll be nipping in every time I am passing a branch.

And I'll be heading back for Trackmania on pay day!

Advertisement