Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

I just started this today -- Delighted with myself ... im majorly unfit and did find the running part tough .... forgot all the roads around here are all uphill :D so Week 1 day 1 done and dusted ...... hopefully onwards and upwards :D

Well done!! Im hoping to do week 1 day 2 on thurs.. keep up the good work:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

Did WK 1 day 2 today .... way tougher than day 1 :rolleyes: ouchie

Did WK 1 day 2 today .... way tougher than day 1 :rolleyes: ouchie

I did week 1 day 2 today also, my sister started week 1 day 1 today .... I'm bit ouchie now I must say :eek:

I may ask the sister in the morning what she is like, is she sore etc!!

It's good having company I have to say, it pushes me to go and do it....

Well done to every one who is doing couch to 5 k, this thread is an inspiration :D

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

offaly1 wrote: »
    I did week 1 day 2 today also, my sister started week 1 day 1 today .... I'm bit ouchie now I must say :eek:

I decided to have a rest day today ... man i couldnt walk up the stairs at work today :p Hopefully it gets easier :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Hopefully it gets easier :D
    It does! Keep with it, your body just needs a little time to adjust.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Well its done Week 9 day 3 :D:D:D

I did my best time for a 5k as wel... 36m 40sec. So I've taken 12 mins off my time in 5 weeks!!

This programme is amazing, if anyone is starting or thinking of starting please do, it's realitively easy in as such as its not complicated and increases in such a way that you don't notice as much. Each week gives you something new and before you know it your just wanting more time running to make better distance, (at least thats what happened to me)

I started this on the 19th of June, a week after giving up smoking. the first few weeks were the hardest I think, I went very red, was barely moving at times and horrified at how unfit I was. I think after the first 20 min run it got a lot easier as I was so amazed that I was actually able to do it, than you go back down to 10 min runs and suprisingly they became a breeze.

My main reason for starting this was that I was told to help my distroyed smokers lungs I needed to do a cardio exericise to push and open up my lungs. In just the nine weeks taken to complete this, I am now taking deeper breaths than I have been able to do in over 10 years, I can't imagine what its going to be like this time next year!!

I've also gone from a 41 inch waist to a 37 inch waist without doing anything else and on the running days I am getting a much needed full night sleep.

I know I'm gushing all over this programme but tbh it has helped me through a rough summer and I just hope that someone may be reading this and decide to start and obvioulsy I cannot recommend it more!!!

My main tips are...try and pick your days and stick to them. stick to Programme and go at your own pace, don't over do it as you need to get your body use to it ( for me esp my knees and hips!!) ALWAYS do the warm up and ALWAYS stretch after, (I bought a hockey ball to roll out on as well, feels great) Also posting on here helped me alot.

As I said in a previous post, I'm going to concentrate on getting down to a 30min 5k before I try increasing the distance.

Wuhoo!!! Go Me!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Seem to have hurt my foot today...somewhere on the sole. Seems to be discomfort rather than pain, will keep an eye on it.

going to do my week 1, day 3 tomorrow, i've had a rest day on friday from all exercise, and went for a cycle today, so fingers crossed i'll get out and do it tomorrow! can't wait to be honest..........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

I've finally finished the program, Wk9d3! After starting and stalling a few times I made it straight through. Week four was definitely the best for me, upped the tempo and felt the buzz. I don't know if I can run 5k as I have been doing circuits in the park but I can definitely run-jog for 30 minutes.

A few thoughts... The first two weeks are the worst as your muscles are getting used to the new movements, it does get better. A good pair of runners are an essential purchase. Start off slow, if you have more left in the tank at the end then increase your speed. If you have to repeat a few days/weeks it's fine, many people have to but do go slower.

It's worth buying some proper running gear, I saw a few girls in the park wearing fleece sweat pants... that must be torture when their body heats up! As in life generally speaking if you look the part then you feel the part. Low light, seeing a man in the park not so secretively taking a dump behind a small bush! Highlight: Being cheered on by a little kid on a tricycle (she obviously recognized a fellow sports women :D)

Benefits: My body is a lot tighter. Running helps regulate your sleep patterns and gives you more energy, clears the head. I'm going to continue running 3 times a week and see if I can factor in a few more days aswell. I did the carly program and although I'm not a big hip hop fan the bpm was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I'm BAAAACCCKKKK! :)

Took a run beside my local river today. Haven't done a proper run since the mini marathon. Lazy huh?! :)

I feel good but I couldn't keep the tempo up as it was so hot at night. At the moment it's about 25c and very high humidity! I walked/ran about 10k so I didn't do too badly!

Local river is gorgeous, had a lovely little stepping stone bridge to cross complete with little spot lights set into the stones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Shush, you, giving us scenic running envy. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

So I've downloaded the pod cast and had my feet analysed and new runners have been purchased, and worn in on Sunday, now I just have to get off my ass and start. I strained my ham string slightly on Saturday playing with a toddler so using that as my current excuse.
    I do walk everyday, with two doggies, for about an hour so hopefully fitness won't be appalling, however I am fully expecting to feel like I'm abouot to take a heart attack. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Did my first 10km today, in just under an hour :D Pretty happy though not sure where to go from here hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

The boy is mad to start this with me so we're going to do it tonight, I might download the pod cast before hand, I have my runners ready nice new ones that were recommended to me after I had my feet checked :)

I need to keep myself motivated and try not let something come in the way, I always seem let something get in the way of me finishing it :rolleyes: Not this time though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Probably a stupid question but...

I started couch 2 5k a couple of weeks ago but have given up for just a straight 30 mins of jogging/running which i have built up to gradually. My question is now that i've found my stride am i likely to burn myself out?

I'm surprised i've found it so easy because i wasn't exactly fit when i started.

Keep it consistent, set a few goals along the way (races/time goals etc) and you should be fine. Try and mix up your training a bit too, for example if you're running 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes maybe extend one of these runs to 40 minutes, and slowly build like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Keep it consistent, set a few goals along the way (races/time goals etc) and you should be fine. Try and mix up your training a bit too, for example if you're running 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes maybe extend one of these runs to 40 minutes, and slowly build like that.

Thanks for that. I run 5 days a week and am trying to mix it up with an incline or a final 5 minutes or so of sprinting some days just to try and build up a bit more gradually.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Angelandie

Doing my first official 5km tomorrow! Can't wait! Will take me about 33 minutes if my training is anything to go by but still, will finally feel like my training has paid off :D

Good luck - and the race atmosphere might put you closer to 30 minutes :)

(Great Pink Run?)

W1D2 complete :D

I thought I was going to get a chance to leave as people kept arriving at the door. Anyway really enjoyed it I found that I'm better runner when it's raining it seemed to keep me cool :)

Going to update my music tonight..lots of fast, upbeat punk songs :)

• Advertisement

Wahoo! Managed the Great Pink Run 5km in 32.05mins!!! So pleased with myself!!!

Angelandie wrote: »

Congrats :D I can't wait till an event happens near me. I'm dying to do one :)

35 minutes run yesterday, yaaa...will try this again. New route helped.

Angelandie wrote: »

Yay, well done! What's on the cards next for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 scottishtulip

I did the pink run yesterday too- my first 5k! Was so much fun. I used to not be able to run for the bus so just shows that C25K totally works :D

Yay, well done! What's on the cards next for you?

I enjoyed the race, so will be keeping my eye out for another one that I can do. Going to keep training see if I can't get my time down a bit further and maybe start running a bit longer eventually get to 10k!

Rathfarnham 5k is only 3 weeks away - that's the next one on the cards for me anyway. Would love sub-24, but judging from how difficult I'm finding it to hold 4.4x/km pace in speedwork, that's probably not going to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Just back from a 35 minute run. Trying to run in bursts between bridges to see how I go. I get so tired so quickly though, it's crazy how quickly your body gets lazy.

There was one casulty tonight. A fly decided to try and hinder my progress by flying into my eye at the beginning of my run. I thought it was gone but it was still in my eye when I got home! :mad: little fecker

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Just back from a 35 minute run. Trying to run in bursts between bridges to see how I go. I get so tired so quickly though, it's crazy how quickly your body gets lazy.

There was one casulty tonight. A fly decided to try and hinder my progress by flying into my eye at the beginning of my run. I thought it was gone but it was still in my eye when I got home! :mad: little fecker

Bloody bugs! I nearly always end up eating one or have one go into my eye when out running or cycling...icky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Im thinking of starting this plan when I move to dublin next week for college since the roads where I'll be living (rathmines) will be well lit up. Would it be safe to go jogging on the streetpaths? sorry if this sounds idiotic but im from the backarse of longford where streetlights are a rarity and all us country girls hear is how dangerous the big bad city is :P I would be running at around 8 since I have college until 6, would it be safe?

Advertisement