Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoTLK Midnite Sales in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

So will Tescos down in Dublin be stocking this at midnight? I doubt it, so looks like if you wanna play you either have to go to Cork or Belfast? I just want the standard edition :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

cant you buy it online on the blizzard website when its released? Im pretty sure you'll just be able to upgrade your account with a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I was in Game on Dawson street today and noticed they were doing a midnight opening for Gears of War 2. I asked about one for WOTLK and the guy I talked to said "Probably, we'll know on Monday".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Psycopat wrote: »
    cant you buy it online on the blizzard website when its released? Im pretty sure you'll just be able to upgrade your account with a credit card.

This only came in for TBC a few months after launch,

Blizzard prefer to see actual boxes being bought from the shelves, then when the initial rush drops down, they offer the "Upgrade Online" feature to squeeze the last few subs out of pepople.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Duchovny

Even if you could buy the upgrade game don't forget you would have still to download about 5GB of data to ur pc, their servers wouldn't be able to manage that.

I know the OFFgames website sells the expansion but i didnt read how you actualy get the data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

So will Tescos down in Dublin be stocking this at midnight? I doubt it, so looks like if you wanna play you either have to go to Cork or Belfast? I just want the standard edition :s

ill ask my mate today and see what the craic is

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You have to also think when will servers be up and running smoothly, i can defo see it being lagfest etc on release...i personally will be away that weekend , but have the monday off so ill get stuck in then :)

Its not going to sell out anywhere it will be plenty available, the so called " lack of supply" is a worse rumour then this so called recession

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Dr_Teeth wrote: »
    I was in Game on Dawson street today and noticed they were doing a midnight opening for Gears of War 2. I asked about one for WOTLK and the guy I talked to said "Probably, we'll know on Monday".

I asked Game in SQuiffy Valley yesterday about a midnite opening for WoTLK cos they too had the midnite opening for gears of war up & the manager there told me a flat 'no', & also told me he had no price for the standard pack let alone the collectors edition & wouldn't until they received their shipment in on Monday coming.

Duchovny wrote: »
    Even if you could buy the upgrade game don't forget you would have still to download about 5GB of data to ur pc, their servers wouldn't be able to manage that.

I know the OFFgames website sells the expansion but i didnt read how you actualy get the data.

The standard dodgy places will have the dvd to download well in advance,

And in fact it's hard to argue that there is anything wrong with that in this case, seeing as it is useless without purchasing a key,

I had TBC installed 3 days before launch last year and was just waiting to input my key on launch day so i didnt have to bother installing that morning.

Offgamers sells keys, they do not sell the "data", it's up to you to get it yourself.

WellyJ wrote: »
    The standard dodgy places will have the dvd to download well in advance,

I had TBC installed 3 days before launch last year and was just waiting to input my key on launch day so i didnt have to bother installing that morning.

Offgamers sells keys, they do not sell the "data", it's up to you to get it yourself.

So would you recommend this as a possible way of getting the game at midnight?
    Or would there be a chance that you'd end up having to go and buy the game itself the next morning?

Also, how important do you guys think it will be to pre-order?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Its not going to sell out anywhere it will be plenty available, the so called " lack of supply" is a worse rumour then this so called recession

250,000 people on the dole think the fact you have a notion about anything is a rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

just booked next thurs and friday off work. Gonna ring around all the games shops in dublin tomorrow and find a definate answer, may actually wait till monday to try it aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

my mate is checkin this out for me tomoro in tesco so ill let yas know.

if you can find a working download please post it up, then go onto offgamers and buy the key post 12, theres a good chance they will have them striaght up. im gonna ask on their customer support section

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    So would you recommend this as a possible way of getting the game at midnight?
    Or would there be a chance that you'd end up having to go and buy the game itself the next morning?

Also, how important do you guys think it will be to pre-order?

TBH although I have used Offgamers a lot in the past and they are excellent for what they are,

I am not leaving it to chance that they will get a lot of wotlk keys the night before launch.

I really want a bricks and mortar option in Dublin city, I finish work at 10pm on the wednesday night so want to head straight to wherever there is a midnight opening, really hope somewhere does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

i just rang Game on dawson st and as above, they said "yeh, probably, check back next week"

Dustaz wrote: »
    i just rang Game on dawson st and as above, they said "yeh, probably, check back next week"

Unfortunately I have noticed in past dealings with GAME employees is that they just tell you what you want to hear, the guy probably has no clue and just says "probably yeh" to get you off the phone.

Apologies to any GAME employees who actually do their job properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

GAME totally went down the tubes when it was bought by EB when I was working there we just used to tell customers to fúck off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Only 1 confirmed store in the republic that are doing a midnite sale according to blizzard.
    http://media.wow-europe.com/wrath/midnight-opening/en/index.xml

HMV in cork

Krieg wrote: »
    Only 1 confirmed store in the republic that are doing a midnite sale according to blizzard.
    http://media.wow-europe.com/wrath/midnight-opening/en/index.xml

HMV in cork

Yeh we have been discussing that already in this thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

I think blizzard have gone about this all wrong ideally the game should be available for purchase a few days or a week before it goes live, giving people to by and install and actually be ready to play when WTLK goes live

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

WellyJ wrote: »
    Yeh we have been discussing that already in this thread ;)

Just posting the link ;)
    Edit: bah, sorry.
    Didn't realize the links was posted previous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

ZygOte wrote: »
    I think blizzard have gone about this all wrong ideally the game should be available for purchase a few days or a week before it goes live, giving people to by and install and actually be ready to play when WTLK goes live

yes, because hundreds of thousands of players logging on at the exact same time when wrath goes live would be a better idea

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

DarthWraak wrote: »
    yes, because hundreds of thousands of players logging on at the exact same time when wrath goes live would be a better idea
    It's expected of every other MMO for it's launch, why shouldnt it be expected from the market leading MMO out there, with the biggest bankroll around, the largest conglomerate PC gaming corporation to ever exist and with the biggest infrastructure this side of the US educational system...?

Besides, if you dont have thousands of people logging on at midnight, you have them at 9-11am the next day anyway... whats the difference?

It's frustrating, it's inconvenient and it's something that is already possible. For the Burning Crusade, I used my beta client and just patched up to the most recent version and played from midnight. I'll probably do the same for Wrath, if I can get my hands on a CD-Key :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dustaz wrote: »
    250,000 people on the dole think the fact you have a notion about anything is a rumour.

I'm getting pretty ****ing sick of your smart arse comments in anything i post tbh, if you have nothing constructive to say, stop trying to boost your post count.

I'm not going to derail the thread on how "recessions" are fear mongering and caused by people stooping to the fear and stopping spending, I'm earning as much as ever and couldnt be finanically stabler....

Go read a book and stop trying to be a smart arse...

If you actually opened that head of yours, you would also realise, that leisure products and activities, are the very last thing to be effected in times of financial "crisis"

I'm getting pretty ****ing sick of your smart arse comments in anything i post tbh, if you have nothing constructive to say, stop trying to boost your post count.

I'm not going to derail the thread on how "recessions" are fear mongering and caused by people stooping to the fear and stopping spending, I'm earning as much as ever and couldnt be finanically stabler....

Go read a book and stop trying to be a smart arse...

If you actually opened that head of yours, you would also realise, that leisure products and activities, are the very last thing to be effected in times of financial "crisis"
    Watch the personal abuse. If you have a problem with a post, use the report feature. It is what it is there for.

That goes for you too dustaz, although he does make a valid, if facetious, point.

And yes, please dont derail this thread to politics or it'll get moved faster than you can say, "1 copy of Wrath of the Lich King, please".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

To the people worried about everyone trying to log on at the same time. I thought TBC launch day was going to be a nightmare. I got up early, got the game, installed it, registered my key, went through the Dark Portal and played all day.

The only problem I had in that whole process was the 3 - 5 seconds of lag going from the Dark Portal to Outland. Blizzard seem to be quite good at these type of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

In regards offgamers, they would normally purchase the European Wow directly from places in France and also usually have a plethora of games available to them before the time to give out the keys from same at midnight. They key you get from them is also usually an actual photo of the key from the box itself that they open to get it from for you.
    As for the actual download of the game data, they would also make that available at midnight.

More or less the same as any other bricks and mortor shop selling the game.

Myself I'll probably just get the missus to pick me up 2 copies of the game from gamestop that morning when she goes in to pick up her CE edition while I'm at work.
    If I wasn't working (holidays or whatever) I'd just get the keys at midnight from offgamers and download it from them also.

I know they sell gold and such also but really, there's a lot of well known and respected companies that do an awful lot worse yet still people use their products and continue to purchase from them...So I don't see a problem at all really.

It's just a damn shame that theres no official direct download option available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

Correct me if im wrong but I assumed that the bulk of the data was downloaded in patch 3.0.2 (Echoes of Doom) and when the server does a soft reset the night WOTLK goes live people will be able to play almost instantly after they upgrade their accounts. So im not really sure people need to worry about "5GB of data to download" if they dont have a store bought dvd.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Ivan wrote: »
    It's expected of every other MMO for it's launch, why shouldnt it be expected from the market leading MMO out there, with the biggest bankroll around, the largest conglomerate PC gaming corporation to ever exist and with the biggest infrastructure this side of the US educational system...?

Besides, if you dont have thousands of people logging on at midnight, you have them at 9-11am the next day anyway... whats the difference?

It's frustrating, it's inconvenient and it's something that is already possible. For the Burning Crusade, I used my beta client and just patched up to the most recent version and played from midnight. I'll probably do the same for Wrath, if I can get my hands on a CD-Key :p

There's a huge ****ing difference, people all over europe and the world will get the game at a different time on that day,
    lets take a few examples, some will get them at midnight launches in france, 1 hour after midnight launches here and in britain, some will get them in sweden with a 2 hour difference, some will wait till the morning, or some stage throughout the day on the 13th, South africans play on euro servers, so they will get them at a different time.

You say all mmo launches are like this? No they're not WAR Wasn't onsale a week early so everyone got log in the second the servers went up, AOC wasnt on sale a week early so everyone could be online when the servers went up. Same for LOTRO, same for EQ and EQ2, COH and COV, Eve and every other games. Games have a release date that allow people who buy them play the game immediately.

Staggering the whole thing would allow it to go smother, because I assume it won't be smooth.

get a clue.

• Advertisement

mayordenis wrote: »
    There's a huge ****ing difference, people all over europe and the world will get the game at a different time on that day,
    lets take a few examples, some will get them at midnight launches in france, 1 hour after midnight launches here and in britain, some will get them in sweden with a 2 hour difference, some will wait till the morning, or some stage throughout the day on the 13th, South africans play on euro servers, so they will get them at a different time.

You say all mmo launches are like this? No they're not WAR Wasn't onsale a week early so everyone got log in the second the servers went up, AOC wasnt on sale a week early so everyone could be online when the servers went up. Same for LOTRO, same for EQ and EQ2, COH and COV, Eve and every other games. Games have a release date that allow people who buy them play the game immediately.

Staggering the whole thing would allow it to go smother, because I assume it won't be smooth.

get a clue.

A) I was directing my comments at DarthWraak's comment's. Hence the quote.

Specifically
    DarthWraak wrote: »

Which is something every MMO launch has to deal with these days and this expansion and the Burning Crusade expansion, for which I was a GM for the launch day, months beforehand and many months afterwords for, is no different.

B) The majority of upgraded log-ins for TBC and presumely will be similar for Wrath, was between 9am and 11 pm GMT the morning of launch and a similar number again at 7pm to 9pm that evening. Again, this is coming from a guy who was a GM at the time.

C) WAR had an early access log-in, AoC had an early access log-in, CoH had an early access log-in. Pretty much every MMO from now on will have an early access log-in. These events are designed to allow hardcore players to log-in the game early to stagger the playerbase and also give rise to the clients making their way onto torrents and other peer-to-peer channels all before launch. Warhammer, AoC and CoH all allowed pre-downloading of the client before launch. I realise this is an expansion, but that is no reason the client cannot be made available prior to launch. It is simply a matter of flicking a switch (metaphorically speaking) which allows people the access to the new content and as such, is even easier than a launch day. Again, coming from the largest games development mongoloid corporation in existence and coming from one of its ex-employees.

D) I realise I am a Moderator on these forums, although perhaps you dont; but I deserve the same respect as any other poster here. With that in mind, if you speak to me or another poster in such a passive-aggressive tone again, you can be discussing Wrath launch on the WoW forums instead of here.

E) Did I mention I used to be a Gamesmaster, for blizzard and stuff...

Advertisement