Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Transfer Rumours/Discussion 2007/2008

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

and what about those rumours about Craig Gordon of Hearts? Why would there be a need?
    PHB wrote:
    I think if Fergie can get Eto he will take him :)
    Strikers are of a similar sort all over the world. Veron is a very specific type of player.

Van Nist has been great this season, I've really enjoyed watching him play. I would have loved him to stay at United, but you can't argue with Fergie, we won the league without him, and the addition of Carrick. You just can't deny he made the right choice.

True, was only a joke...Fergie's judgement is rarely wrong...as for Eto'o...hmmm, I'd prefer Tevez or Berbatov if money isn't an issue tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Well if we got Berbatov, Tevez or Eto that would be amazing! :D But please God not Defoe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sizzler wrote:
    Papers say today Van der Sar is going to be dropped for next season in favour of Foster!

Still being linked with Nani (which Im amazed at considering he signed a new contract only last week), Torres features prominently and Bale, crikey!

Ive a feeling Bale is a done deal but Im totally uninspired by spending money on him based on what Ive seen of him :( A good player in a kak team.

As if Ferguson or anyone from Old Trafford would come out and say that to the papers...I reckon he could well be dropped but only due to recent form but then again the whole team lacked consistency in the last 6/7 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

The keeper situation is an interesting one for next season. I don't know who I'd prefer as number 1 to be honest, although I'm sure it'll be VDS from the start. I just wonder what Fergie will do with Kuzczack (I've given up trying to spell his name correctly). Considering Fergie obviously knew Foster was going to be at least number 2 this season, it does make you wonder what his intentions were in buying him. Presumably, in the long term, he was looking at Foster no1 and Kuzczack no2 - maybe he didn't expect VDS to last another season? But, in any case, K has looked a bit dodge IMO, but still surely too good to be a no3 next season? He has it in him to be a good keeper, but he's probably unlikely to develop that sitting on the bench behind Foster for the rest of his career.

Wouldn't be surprised if Fergie cut his losses and sold him, maybe bought some young keeper to be a number 3 for a season and then promote him to no2 after VDS retires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't think he expected Foster to make such progress, he really has been oustanding. That said, IMO, VDS has still had a better season than him.

VDS will be around for one more season, and to be honest, I think he'll keep his place ahead of Foster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

regarding VDS
    http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_2139913,00.html

I did think he didnt make himself big. his hands were in front of his face rather than stretched across which would have stopped the ball but I wouldnt have put the blame on him really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm in two minds about VDS. His performances have been poor of late, but I don't think it should signal the end of his United days. But I do think Foster has had a terrific season, to get those kinds of acolades when he's on loan to bottom club in the league says a lot. Whoever is number 1 next season, there will be good competition, it will be interesting. As I said in my earlier post, I'd like to see Tommy K go on loan to another Prem club.

I heard rumours Tommy K could be loaned to Sunderland, which would be ideal. Personaly I think VDS deserves to be No 1 next season, sure his form has been abit ropey the last few games but he has also had some great games too. I would give him a chance to regain his form next season and if he doesnt live up to expectations we have an excellant replacement in Foster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Oliver Kay
    21 May 2007

SIR ALEX FERGUSON ONCE DESCRIBED Manchester United as “a bus that waits for no man” and, as he consoled himself with a little retail therapy yesterday with long-awaited confirmation of a deal to sign Owen Hargreaves from Bayern Munich, it became clear that Gabriel Heinze would be foremost among those passengers left behind.

Heinze was chosen ahead of Patrice Evra at left back on Saturday, at the end of a season-long battle between the two of them, but the FA Cup Final seems certain to mark the Argentina defender’s swansong as a United player. He has told teammates that he does not expect to be at Old Trafford next season, with a move to an unidentified Spanish club believed to be on the cards.

Having served three years of a five-year contract, Heinze could be bought out of his existing deal for approximately £6 million under new Fifa transfer regulations, but United are likely to settle for a slightly smaller sum for a player who has struggled to regain his top form since suffering cruciate knee ligament damage in September 2005 after a highly impressive first season at the club.

There will be other departures this summer, with Ferguson eager to find reinforcements in certain areas and to accommodate a number of young players who have impressed on loan this season. Mikaël Silvestre and Louis Saha are also vulnerable, despite having signed new contracts in the past 12 months, although Saha hopes that recent uncertainty over his future, arising from a series of injuries, will be eased when Ranko Stojic, his agent, speaks to the club this week.

As for Hargreaves, a fee in the region of £18 million was agreed with Bayern last week, with the German club waiting until the end of the Bundesliga campaign yesterday to announce that the deal was done. The midfield player has agreed a four-year contract and could undergo a medical examination at Old Trafford this week, possibly to coincide with his planned appearance in an England B international against Albania at Turf Moor, Burnley, on Friday. No problems are expected, even though he has not recovered full fitness since suffering a broken leg last September.

The signing would be welcomed by Michael Carrick, who would expect to play alongside Hargreaves in midfield next season. “World-class players are going to strengthen you,” Carrick said. “We’re at the biggest club in the world, we want the best players and Owen is a top player.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premiership/manchester_united/article1816657.ece

I would be sorry to see him go but he is not the player he was b efore his injury. If he is sold I expect to see Bale arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I think VDS will be No: 1 again next season in what will probably be his last season at manu i think, i expect him to make a switch back to holland in the summer of 2008. I think Foster will start as No: 2 with thomas going out on loan with sunderland looking likely. I saw the story on BBC about Craig Gordon, i think it would be a bit stupid to buy him at the price that has being mentioned, but BBC normally get things right in my view.

I expect manu to sign a striker, but its not going to be either Eto'o or Villa. I cant see Barca or Valencia selling. I think Torres and Huntelaar are more likely, they both have massive talents and would be suit the style of football manu play. I expect Torres to leave Athletico this summer and join either L'pool or Manu. The only 2 teams in spain that could afford him would be Barca or Real and with barca already having the likes of Eto'o, Gudjohsen, Ronaldinho and Da Santos who will be part the first team next season. Real Madrid have no chance as he has always said he would never join real before.

I was trying to think of a left sided player manu could sign and no one in europe really stood out that i can think of, Nani was linked but signing a new contract i can't see that happening. What about Florent Malouda of Lyon? he was just named Ligue 1 player of the season and he has already said that he is looking to leave. I think he could be a fantastic player at 26yrs old, scores plenty of goals and assist. Thoughts on that one ??

he was great in his first season but I still never felt comfortable with him there. he is very shaky and I always felt he could mess up easily. I get that same feeling with Kuszcak, Vidic, Carrick and lately Giggs. aId say it's for the best that he goes.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    he was great in his first season but I still never felt comfortable with him there. he is very shaky and I always felt he could mess up easily. I get that same feeling with Kuszcak, Vidic, Carrick and lately Giggs. aId say it's for the best that he goes.
    Have you been watching the same United I have this season?? :confused:

I dont agree, yes he was bit slow after his injury and making some makes, but i think that he has being one or are best players in the last couple of months of the season. I think it could be a mistake to sell him personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think it would be good to keep him if we can, get Bale in as well, if we can afford to, do it...or how about get Bale in, keep Heinze and loan bale to Sunderland?

Heinze decides himself whether or not he wants to stay. If he goes, and to be honest, I think he doesn't want to be a left back, let alone a second choice lb, and knows that other top clubs are interested in him. If he goes, he will be replaced right-quick, maybe Bale is coming because Heinze is leaving. I'm not convinced Bale is coming just yet, just cause we've heard nothing from Fergie to suggest it.

• Advertisement

Have you been watching the same United I have this season?? :confused:

I didnt say he did much wrong but I said I always felt he would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

I was trying to think of a left sided player manu could sign and no one in europe really stood out that i can think of, Nani was linked but signing a new contract i can't see that happening. What about Florent Malouda of Lyon? he was just named Ligue 1 player of the season and he has already said that he is looking to leave. I think he could be a fantastic player at 26yrs old, scores plenty of goals and assist. Thoughts on that one ??

We already have a left-sided winger...Ronaldo, who as it happens can also be played on the right or through the centre. Why restrict yourself to looking for a carbon copy of Giggs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

indeed, why restrict yourself to searching for a carbon copy of the best left winger or the last decade or two...

To be honest, I'd rather a copy of Beckham than a copy of Giggs. Giggs and Ronaldo work well in randum, Ronaldo is like a new Giggs, so a new Beckham would be nice. That said, I can't think of anybody in the world who can cross the ball aswell as Beckham, so maybe two Giggs wouldn't be the worst :)

Tauren wrote:
    indeed, why restrict yourself to searching for a carbon copy of the best left winger or the last decade or two...

Do you not understand the point I was making Tauren, or do you need some more clarification? Happy to oblige if needed.

• Advertisement

madds wrote:
    Do you not understand the point I was making Tauren, or do you need some more clarification? Happy to oblige if needed.
    yeah, i think i was too quick to post, sorry.

madds wrote:
    We already have a left-sided winger...Ronaldo, who as it happens can also be played on the right or through the centre. Why restrict yourself to looking for a carbon copy of Giggs?

haha lads stop arguing :) Ronaldo can play on the left and the right, i mentioned Florent Malouda who can play on the left, but then we could also try getting Daniel Alaves or Simao Sambrosa who both play on the right. We need to another winger and weather that is on the right or the left side who cares, Florent Malouda is available and that is why i mentioned his name as a possible signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Ronaldo can play on the left and the right.

if only we could make up a song about that :D

Sarcasm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Sizzler wrote:

It won't be long until someone takes his place. Here s list of some of the players been linked to date.

May 2007

Nani - Sporting Lisbon
    Michael Owen - Newcastle
    Dimitar Berbatov - Tottenham
    Youssouf Mulumbu - PSG
    Franck Ribery - Marseille
    Owen Hargreaves - Bayern
    Gareth Bale - Southampton
    Kaka' - AC Milan
    Fernando Torres - Atletico
    Carlos Tevez - West Ham
    Rino Gattusso - AC Milan
    Klaas Jun Huntelaar - Ajax
    Mark Viduka - Middlesbrough
    Craig Gordon - Hearts
    Alfonso Alves - Heerenveen
    Anderson - Porto
    Micah Richards - Man City
    Raffaele Palladino - Juventus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

I think Giggs is a legend but his displays at the business end of the season have been very poor culminating in that miss in the cup final, Fergie has been ruthless in the past when his legends have come to the end of their playing careers (Robson, Cantona, Keane) and I'm wondering will this be the end of Giggs, I definetly think he won't be playing in the 2008-2009 season and it will be probably Fergies toughest decision if he has to show his most loyal and succesful players the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Ferguson didn't force Cantona out of ManYoo, he retired.

:rolleyes:

I agree patmac. The skills that made Giggs a constant threat since his debut in 1992, namely the ability to get the ball down, go at a player and deliver a high percentage of quality crosses, have diminished hugely. Add to that the fact that he does not have the engine he once had allowing him to track back during games and win the ball with his trademark slide tackle. Unfortunate, but true, as anyone who has watched him closely since Xmas will agree. I definitely prefer the option of having Giggs coming off the bench next season to chase a game rather than Richardson.

First we need to find that replacement though, don't we?

Eto not coming looks like Ronaldinho to Milan then. One of them will be leaving if the reports are true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

What about Florent Malouda of Lyon? he was just named Ligue 1 player of the season and he has already said that he is looking to leave. I think he could be a fantastic player at 26yrs old, scores plenty of goals and assist. Thoughts on that one ??
    Love to see him at united.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

madds wrote:
    I agree patmac. The skills that made Giggs a constant threat since his debut in 1992, namely the ability to get the ball down, go at a player and deliver a high percentage of quality crosses, have diminished hugely.

The only time Ryan Giggs started to get a "high percentage of quality crosses" into the box was when he lost his pace.

His delivery before that point was god awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

He's prone to getting piles though!

ntlbell wrote:
    The only time Ryan Giggs started to get a "high percentage of quality crosses" into the box was when he lost his pace.

His delivery before that point was god awful.

Giggs' delivery has been woeful this season tbh. You watch him take a corner. I cant remember the last time he took a corner and we won the ball/scored. yet when Carrick takes them we tend to at least win headers which will lead to goals. I just dont understand how this isnt spotted by Fergie... along with Ronaldo taking free kicks.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

well fergie is enjoying a nice bottle of wine right now

evad_lhorg wrote:
    Giggs' delivery has been woeful this season tbh. You watch him take a corner. I cant remember the last time he took a corner and we won the ball/scored. yet when Carrick takes them we tend to at least win headers which will lead to goals. I just dont understand how this isnt spotted by Fergie... along with Ronaldo taking free kicks.:rolleyes:
    Set pieces in general have to get better. I'd love to know how many goals have been scored from free kicks and corners.
    On saturday I couldn't understand how Giggs kept taking corner after corner, none of them had any pace and rarely beat the first man. Carrick takes a good corner, I was tearing my hair out.
    Ronaldo also needs to refine his free kick technique, against Portsmouth and the World XI friendly are the only two I can think of that he got this season, the rest have smashed the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

thats why they need a winger who can actually take corners and proper free kicks. I doubt Ronaldo would have being thumping the ball off the wall all season if keane was still there. Theres nobody there atm to boss the others around and it doesnt look like thats gonna change. Thats what I would want above anything else this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

freekicks: gareth bale.

Giggs is defo past his best, he wrecks my head with his hands on his hips and moaning when the ball isnt right, i dont think he can be replaced directly.. Ronaldo kinda does the attackin side giggs used to do. and as we know he can play on the left and on the riiiiiiiiight. All will be revealed anyhow, I wonder if fergie gets a striker will he be happy enough? Like it seems we are a 4-5-1/4-3-3 team and haregreaves buy kinda reinofrces that? Rooney on the left/right? New striker up front? what ya think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

johnor wrote:
    freekicks: gareth bale.

Giggs is defo past his best, he wrecks my head with his hands on his hips and moaning when the ball isnt right, i dont think he can be replaced directly.. Ronaldo kinda does the attackin side giggs used to do. and as we know he can play on the left and on the riiiiiiiiight. All will be revealed anyhow, I wonder if fergie gets a striker will he be happy enough? Like it seems we are a 4-5-1/4-3-3 team and haregreaves buy kinda reinofrces that? Rooney on the left/right? New striker up front? what ya think?

if the new buy up front is good enough to bring a Rooney playing on the left into the game more then yes. Rooney just gets isolated at times on the left, so whoever it is they'd better be good at holding up the ball and the link up play, and not just a finisher, if that were the system you'd want to play.

• Advertisement

I've being saying all season that Giggs is well past it, glad to see some people started to agree. I hope Gareth Bale signs for spurs, not prove and would be a waste of 10million, Manu could do better. I can see next season SAF will

Ronald - Carrick - Scholes - Hargreaves

Rooney - Torres :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I've being saying all season that Giggs is well past it.

I think that's extremely harsh. Giggs has had some great games this season and has been an extremely important part of winning the title.

He IS too old to play week in, week out. And in games where he is making no impact (see FA cup final) we need to have young, hungry alternatives.

Which we don't.

But I still think Giggs has more to give.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Torres is WAY overrated.

Trilla wrote:
    Torres is WAY overrated.
    Agreed. I'd rather a fit Saha tbh.

Anyway, not like we needed any confirmation, but Hargreaves is in Manchester for his medical according to SSN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

allot of Torres really. Indeed, most of the people who go on about him haven't seen much of him either.

But the few people I do know that have seen allot of him play reckon he will struggle to adapt in the premiership.

In regards to Saha, he's a lost cause. He has the ability but neither the temprement, determination or fitness. He is immensely unpopular in the changing room by all accounts and his perceived laziness in regards to proving himself is something he can f**k right off for.

Saying that, he'll still be at United next year because none of the potential suitors for him can afford his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

If Lyon come in with 8-10m he'll go. More importantly, if Fergie wants him out he will be sold. Bit don't forget when fit Saha was banging them in the early part of the season...the winner vs Benfica, the goal v Bolton at the Reebok and the goal v Chelsea spring to mind. So let's not write off his talent completely, he's a good player just prone to injury (and prone to faking recovery times too!)

• Advertisement

http://manchesterunited.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=891&p=2&stid=8447594

The Gimps are ready to consider bids for United according to The Mirror. The paper reports: "Less than three years after Malcolm Glazer finally won his controversial takeover battle in a deal that cost £831million, United's future is up in the air again.

Boardroom figures are privately conceding a sale in the short-term is likely after the Glazers realised United was not the cash cow they believed it would be.

If they sell, there is bound to be a period of uncertainty just as manager Sir Alex Ferguson would be aiming to build on the Premiership triumph.

Financial sources in the City last night confirmed feelers have started going out from Old Trafford because the takeover was proving so costly.

Malcolm Glazer paid £790m, plus legal fees of £41.3m, to win his drawn-out fight for control of the world's biggest club.

But to do so he borrowed a staggering £559m from City institutions. Last year, a refinancing package, organised by merchant bank JP Morgan, only came after the amount owed to hedge funds had grown by another £71m, leaving a total debt of £660m.

JP Morgan's fees for that transaction came to £90m - the cost of three Wayne Rooneys - and the club now faces annual repayments of £62m. That burden is wiping out the bulk of United's profits.

Despite the capacity of Old Trafford increasing to 76,000, escalating player wages and the need to continually invest in the squad - the Glazers promised Ferguson £25m each year plus an extra £25m one-off for a star signing - account for a huge chunk of income.

Fans were outraged by ticket prices for next season going up 14 per cent and the cost of home cup ties rising.

The relationship between the club's management and the Florida-based owners is becoming more and more of an issue and with Glazer seriously ill after a stroke last year and having to put control of the business in the hands of his sons, it seems he is increasingly looking for a way out.

United chief executive David Gill was said to have been in a "really bad mood" before United's FA Cup Final defeat, preoccupied by affairs at the club.

One well-placed City source said: "What we're all hearing is United hasn't turned out to be what the Glazers thought it was. When they paid so much, they were convinced a lot of money was to be made.

"Buying United wasn't about owning a football club, but a business decision and from an investment point of view it's been little short of disastrous."

Would be delighted to see them go, obviously, but would we find a person, or group, with enough money to wipe the debt and continue to invest?

The 'funny' thing is, though, if the glazers are getting out because the cost of the take over means profits are low; they are freaking idiots. It was widely observed at the time that the cost of the loans and the interest repayments would be too high to turn a profit for the glazers.

Tauren wrote:

Would be delighted to see them go, obviously, but would we find a person, or group, with enough money to wipe the debt and continue to invest?

The 'funny' thing is, though, if the glazers are getting out because the cost of the take over means profits are low; they are freaking idiots. It was widely observed at the time that the cost of the loans and the interest repayments would be too high to turn a profit for the glazers.

It's the mirror, I would be sceptical of the article. I would imagine the Glaziers knew exactly what they were getting into. I assume the club could be floated again if it comes to that.

Rumours that United have made a move for Berbatov offereing Saha and cash in exchange.

The Muppet wrote:
    Rumours that United have made a move for Berbatov offereing Saha and cash in exchange.
    yeah, 29million plus saha.....

I like Berbatov, and i would like to see Saha sold or moved on somehow, but that deal would be crap. Far too much money when you add Saha's value into it. 29million inclusive of the value of saha would be at the high end imo, or 29 with Saha for Berbatov and Lennon.

29 million is far too high! 15+saha would be more reasonable. Man I would love it if we got Berbatov, he is top class!

yeah, 29million plus saha.....

That's just bull****, no way it's that high. That'd be like 40 million for a player. Not a chance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement