Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Isn't coconut sugar basically sucrose? aka table sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

http://www.dietdoctor.com/sugar-vs-fat-on-bbc-which-is-worse

Just regarding that BBC show called Fat vs Sugar - I eat quite low carb myself and I was kind of surprised when they claimed that the low carb brother because almost 'pre-diabetic' ? it seemed like an important consequence that I hadn't been aware of. I know one or two people mentioned it here and this website gave a kind of good explanation of why that isn't really true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

ciara1052 wrote: »

Just regarding that BBC show called Fat vs Sugar - I eat quite low carb myself and I was kind of surprised when they claimed that the low carb brother because almost 'pre-diabetic' ? it seemed like an important consequence that I hadn't been aware of. I know one or two people mentioned it here and this website gave a kind of good explanation of why that isn't really true.

But he wasn't low carb he was on a no carb diet and high fat ;), they were two extreme diets to see the effects it would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭ciara1052

But he wasn't low carb he was on a no carb diet and high fat ;), they were two extreme diets to see the effects it would have.

Sorry I meant to just refer to myself as low carb. Just that at the end of the show he associated a risk between high fat diets and the whole pre-diabetic thing - just seemed like something to be concerned about and I wanted to check.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

ciara1052 wrote: »

When you are adapted to low carb your fasting blood sugar can go up. This is a response by your liver of producing the glucose needed by making it from protein.

Traditionally fasting glucose can diagnose diabetes, in those that eat plenty of carbohydrate. But low carbers have a different response as their fasting glucose is higher, but it's lower during the rest of the day.

When you start eating carbs again everything returns to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I can't decide whether to buy these trainers or not! Has anyone bought these before, what did they think of them? I'd only be using them for skipping or body weight exercises. I suppose it's the foam sole that puts me off as maybe it would make the shoe to soft? Love the way the sole cuts into the shoe though and they're only 65 euro which I thought was pretty good. Any opinions?:)

22007714medium.jpg

The pink ones are nice too, though I usually hate pink:
    21003940xlarge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I just made a bet with a friend that i send her 3 photos a day of my food breakfast lunch dinner and if i don't send her a pic or if there's certain items in the meal i give her two euro. This will.be going on until she saves up.enough money for a cruise, hopefully next year. I'm either going to me awesome healthy for the year or completely broke and I'm already broke so my only option is to be awesome.

My laptop broke so I'm on a phone which is the reasonfor whatever mistakes i made typing or full stops in the wrong place. Also Why i haven't been posting too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

oooh Orla, that's a challenge. Good motivation but I'd definitely crack!

Well i can have a slice of cake on Saturdays! I'm starting tomorrow and there's already someone asking me if i want to go for a hot chocolate tomorrow. It'll be a long year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Orla, you should have a look at the pact app, it basically does that. You can set different pacts for gym attendace, food logging with MFP and eating fruit and veg. You set a forfeit ($5 minimum) per missed pact and the people who make their pact get paid out of the forfeit pot. I've earned about $150 since it started. It bought me a lifting singlet and a bike helmet!

• Advertisement

I could do with the money!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I feel like a dolt.. finding out a tablespoon of virgin olive oil has about 120 calories. Nothing quite like feasting on salad with a cannonball of calories drizzled on top.

Skimming about Google, I get as much polyphenols from a handful of lettuce.*

Phytosterols best acquired from the likes of broccoli, spinach, sunflower seeds.

I like my olive oil. Oh well, at least I know now.

* http://www.diseaseproof.com/archives/hurtful-food-its-about-time-the-olive-oil-myth-was-laid-to-rest.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Hard to take an article like that seriously when she uses the word "fattening". That word should be banned.

Seen an advertisement today stating McDonalds uses free range eggs for there breakfast.

Now form an orderly que to go get your healthy breakfast :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Seen an advertisement today stating McDonalds uses free range eggs for there breakfast.

Now form an orderly que to go get your healthy breakfast :pac:.

They're advertising that for ages. And now they advertise all about how they only use real chicken in their nuggets. :pac:

Ironically, I just came out of McDonald's :pac: just had coffee though, promised the sisters I'd buy them food there when I got paid. I despair :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

McDs food is probably a hell of a lot better than your locals takeaways.

McDs food is probably a hell of a lot better than your locals takeaways.

I don't know about that but regardless my local takeaway isn't trying to promote itself as being health concious like McDonald's is currently doing ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I don't know about that but regardless my local takeaway isn't trying to promote itself as being health concious like McDonald's is currently doing ;).
    My local chipper sort of is.
    1. Thick chips absorb less oil than thin ones, are high in fibre so our chunky chips are healthier
    2. An average serving of chips contains more than double the amount of fibre found in an average serving of brown rice or a bowl of porridge
    3. Get 1/3 of your daily vitamin C from our chips
    4. Fish and Chips have only 595 calories in the average portion. An average pizza has 871 while a big mac meal has 888
    5. Fish and Chips are the least processed takeaway food
    http://www.romayos.ie/pdf/menu.pdf
    That is greatly underestimating the calories, I have seen this gross underestimating in a noodle place and kebab shop too, so not just this chipper chain at it.

I wouldn't really say those mcdonalds adverts as trying to say they are healthy, the free range egg thing is more about advertising farming ethics, and advertising as some just like free range for the taste. And saying the nuggets are chicken breast is just like any brand of frozen ones would, like birds eye might, making a point its not cheaper bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

rubadub wrote: »
    My local chipper sort of is.
    4. Fish and Chips have only 595 calories in the average portion.

http://www.romayos.ie/pdf/menu.pdf

595 calories, that would be great! I wonder what a realistic figure would actually be.

I see the studio belonging to my former yoga teacher, whose classes I really liked, is promoting a meal replacement diet plan costing €60 per month, as well as dietary supplements containing fruit and veg extracts. Maybe I'm overreacting but yoga is supposed to be about health and well-being so I feel quite disappointed to see this stuff promoted :(

hollypink wrote: »
    595 calories, that would be great! I wonder what a realistic figure would actually be.
    I had the chips alone as possibly being over 1000

here are some takeaways I estimated before.
    Bag of chips from Italian chipper 455g

Going off mc-cains site their premium chips are 253kcal and 7.2g fat sat per 100g

So 1,151kcal and 33g sat fat so 24.5points for the bag.
    http://points.ogo.ms/

There is an interview with the italian chipper association guys on youtube, one guy said they used lard, another said a typical fish & chips has about 800kcal! no way in hell!
    Just back from the Chinese now, chips weighing in at 395g, so 853kcal, 4.3g sat fat, so 13.5 points. Again that is conservative using the McCains figures which are probably lower than usual to appear lower in cals.
    YOu can get values for burgers on mcdonalds, their chips are far smaller than a chipper would have.

I got a rogan josh from letseatin, combined weight of rice and lamb & sauce was 960g, over twice what most ready meals would be.
    I got a singapore chow mein last week, weighed 800g.
    Using this calculator http://points.ogo.ms/
    I hit 5.5 points at 370kcal presuming zero fat (and it was fairly greasy)
    That means if this was true then it was 46.25kcal per 100g. I would estimate it at 250kcal per 100g though, this is comparing it to supermaret ready meals and the fact that the noodles are much denser, i.e. not boiled to death where they take up lots of water. A single pack of 80-100g dry supernoodles can be 550-600kcal. I would also conservatively estimate 5% fat since it was fried noodles & meat and quite oily, so 40g of fat, and 20g goes in my calculator. So using the same calculator I would estimate 33.5points.
    My usual was chicken balls, curry sauce, chips (I know not chinese!).

I got it and it weighed loads, always did. So I got home and weighed each to see what I used to be eating.
    Chips- 520g (no joke! my scales is fine)
    Chicken balls- 350g
    Sauce- 200g.

I reckon the chips are ~250kcal per 100g, chicken ~300kcal/100g, sauce 150kcal/100g. Those are probably conservative figures, chicken balls are really just donuts, and sauce is probably loaded with oil.

So probably at least 2500kcal in all.
    back from "lets eat in", the portions looked small compared to the usual chinese/indian takeaways huge helpings. They are in cubic boxes so it is deceiving. I am in work & had a scales handy, I also like to calculate calories to show people the reality of takeaway portions, rice was 310g, korma was 520g. 830g in total, now most microwave kormas are 300-400g, so it is over twice that. The rice was the size of a decent mug.

I would guess at least 1200kcal, will have to have a look at some rich korma sauce labels and try and figure it out better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I had the chips alone as possibly being over 1000

here are some takeaways I estimated before.

Those numbers are shocking! I knew obviously that take-aways were high in calories but I suppose I never really thought about the actual figures.

hollypink wrote: »
    Those numbers are shocking!
    I am always weighing take away food out of habit. The chipper with that menu do give bags of a similar size, about 450g.

Most are twice the size of ready meals in supermarkets.

People go on about mcdonalds food not being filling, as though there is some magical additive or something in it. The standard burgers & meal sizes are simply not that big a portion size, a big mac is 490kcal. But its rare to hear people say the portions are scabby, just this comment about feeling hungry an hour later.

People may not often pour out chips on a plate so might not realise how big it is. My housemate was buying "tesco finest oven chips", they were about 400g, meant for 2-3 people, I was saying that with the cost of electricity for the oven it would be cheaper to get a single bag delivered from the chipper. You can look at it as good value. I usually get 2 feeds from any chinese takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Any ideas what would be light on the stomach to eat? I haven't eaten since Wednesday night. Stomach was in bits Thursdsy morning, got sick and a some diarroeha. Felt ok Thursday night so I had a tiny piece of plain chicken breast and it came out 10 mins later. got up this morning feeling fine, again tried a tiny bit of food and out it came again. It's now been 42hours since I've eat something that has stayed down so I'm just looking for any ideas of food that might have a chance of staying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Ant11 wrote: »
    Any ideas what would be light on the stomach to eat? I haven't eaten since Wednesday night. Stomach was in bits Thursdsy morning, got sick and a some diarroeha. Felt ok Thursday night so I had a tiny piece of plain chicken breast and it came out 10 mins later. got up this morning feeling fine, again tried a tiny bit of food and out it came again. It's now been 42hours since I've eat something that has stayed down so I'm just looking for any ideas of food that might have a chance of staying in.

dry toast? crackers? chicken broth? Vindaloo?

chewing gum, that takes 7 years to go through apparently, and if you do happen to expel it quickly you might make some interesting bubbles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

dry toast? crackers? chicken broth? Vindaloo?

chewing gum, that takes 7 years to go through apparently, and if you do happen to expel it quickly you might make some interesting bubbles

I chanced a bowl of basmati rice, will see how it goes. Interesting fact about the gum.

Ant11 wrote: »
    I chanced a bowl of basmati rice, will see how it goes. Interesting fact about the gum.

i dont think its a fact. more of something you were told as a kid to stop you swallowing it.

apple seeds also dont grow into apple trees in your belly, despite what my mother claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

i dont think its a fact. more of something you were told as a kid to stop you swallowing it.

apple seeds also dont grow into apple trees in your belly, despite what my mother claims.

Eh yes they do. I got an apple tree removed awhile ago*

*might not be true.

I'd say your best bet may be to starve yourself for 24 to 48hrs.

There was a bug going round a while ago I ended up having to go the doctors who prescribed me some medicine but general advice was starve myself for a few days then when I felt ready dry plain toast to test the waters.

• Advertisement

Eh yes they do. I got an apple tree removed awhile ago*

*might not be true.

I had one inserted.

I liked it

Advertisement