Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Rock and Metal Opinions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    THE BIG 4 of thrash metal should've been THE BIG 5

Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Exodus Testament, Anthrax

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'll revise it, THE BIG 4 should've been The BIG 6.

Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Testament, Exodus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I'll revise it, THE BIG 4 should've been The BIG 6.

Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, Testament, Exodus

The Real Big 5

Slayer, Death Angel, Metallica, BabyMetal, Megadeth.

The Real Big 5

Slayer, Death Angel, Metallica, BabyMetal, Megadeth.

url-17.gif

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I prefer The Call of Ktulu over Orion

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I've never liked Nirvana

I believe Jerry Cantrell is the brains behind Alice In Chains and that Layne Staley, a few noteable songs aside, was overrated in comparison to the likes of Andrew Wood and Mike Morris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Glam metal is awesome; yes, it did decline towards the end of the 1980's (sticking to a formula that became stale), but for a lot of the time it was good-time, rabble-rousing, FUN music. At the end of it, isn't that what most of us listen to music for? For a bit of fun??? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that some musicians take themselves a bit too seriously and the odd song about fast cars or tits ain't a bad thing.

Turbo by Judas Priest is a cracking album (but Ram It Down is pretty shítty)

I find that a lot of Metallica's 1980's works are a bit too masturbatory and don't really "get" them. I much prefer Megadeth.

Megadeth's 1980's output (Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good, Peace Sells... But Who's Buying??? and So Far... So Good... So What???) is superior (in my own opinion, of course!) to Metallica's output of the same era. Similarly, Rust In Peace pisses all over Black Album. As does Countdown To Extinction.

Operation: Mindcrime is the best metal concept album ever. Ever.

W.A.S.P. are criminally underrated; The Headless Children and The Crimson Idol are two incredible albums that do not get as much praise as they are due.

Dokken are one of the best bands to come out of Los Angeles in the 1980's and never got the recognition or praise they deserved. George Lynch is a guitar god.

British Steel is a very overrated album.

Michael Schenker's solo output is vastly superior to anything he did with UFO.

Europe are a brilliant band with some excellent albums, including the (in)famous The Final Countdown; the title track alone makes me wish I had Clearasil-clear vocals and a fluffy blond perm...

Yngwie Malmsteen is overrated in the extreme. Technically brilliant and visually spectacular, but lacking soul and cannot write a song to save his fúcking life.

Autograph are one of the most underrated bands of the 1980's.

EZO from Japan deserved to break big. Cracking albums released in 1987 and 1989, but never broke into the market.

While a great album, Appetite For Destruction is so overrated. Sure, it was a groundbreaking moment, but at the same time it has dated pretty badly and there are much better, grimier albums out there.

On that point, the L.A. Guns were better than Guns N Roses.

White Lion are a class band with Vito Bratta being one of the best guitarists of the 1980's.

Winger are a good band with some cracking pop-metal tunes.

yes, I'm biased towards anything from the 1980's... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Mar Mar Marmalade

Ramones are overrated.

Clash are better than The Sex Pistols.

Rock music is too mainstream/clean/poppy/soft nowadays

I like and hate Billy Corgan at the same time.

The Strypes (as much as I love the whole 'mod' look brought back) are a Rolling Stones rip off.

Emo music died in the 90's.

(And speaking of) Sunny Day Real Estate are one of the most underrated bands of the 90's.

My Bloody Valentine and the 'shoegaze' scene is underrated.

'The Hunter' by Mastodon is a boring album.

I find James Hetfield's singing whiny and annoying on Metallica's recent albums.

And Blur is better than Oasis ;) .

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I think Primordial are highly overrated :o They have a great frontman and an interesting sound... but that's it. Once you have heard one 'song' you have heard them all.

Mick Mars doesn't get the recognition he deserves as a guitar player..

• Advertisement

Here's a really unpopular opinion that'll grind some gears,

Dragonforce are a great band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Deafheaven's album "Sunbather" is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

DazMarz wrote: »
    Operation: Mindcrime is the best metal concept album ever. Ever.

Wouldnt say there are too many that would disagree.

Dokken are one of the best bands to come out of Los Angeles in the 1980's and never got the recognition or praise they deserved. George Lynch is a guitar god.
    Agree totally.

Michael Schenker's solo output is vastly superior to anything he did with UFO.
    Again agree.

Stone Sour are far superior to Slipknot.

Risk by Megadeth isn't a bad album.

Airbourne are one of the best bands of this generation.

I'll agree with Stone Sour > Slipknot, Slipknot were good when they first burst onto the scene, but with Paul's death (His 4 year anniversary this Saturday) & Joey's departure, Slipknot won't sound the same ever again.

Airbourne though they sound like AC/DC (Seeing as they are both Australian, comparisons were inevitable) are a fantastic band, definitely have to see them live next time their in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

The Strypes (as much as I love the whole 'mod' look brought back) are a Rolling Stones rip off.

Think you picked the wrong band to compare them to, there... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

buck65 wrote: »
    Deafheaven's album "Sunbather" is fantastic.

Sunbather itself is probably the best death metal song in years. Absolutely amazing album.

I think Gary Holt is as good a replacement for Jeff as your going to get (though I'd prefer if he replaced Kerry and kept jeff).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Led Zeppelin weren't that great and Robert Plant is an awful vocalist.

Be Here Now isn't that bad of an album. Although I will agree with the general consensus that it's overblown and most of the songs are too long.

The whole Oasis-Beatles thing is vastly overstated as I don't think they sound that much like them at all.

Pablo Honey is underrated

Screaming Trees were one of the best bands of the grunge era. They were a lot better than Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice In Chains. I think AIC are very overrated and I don't think of Layne Staley as being a great singer at all. Although I do like Jar Of Flies.

Neil Young's 80's stuff isn't that bad. I actually think Trans was particularly interesting.

Ringo was/is a good drummer. I love the drumming on Rain and Tomorrow Never Knows.

Stephen Morris is one of the best drummers I've ever heard.

Buckethead & Robin Finck were two of the best guitarists Axl had play under the GN'R banner after the original line up went belly up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I'll agree with Stone Sour > Slipknot, Slipknot were good when they first burst onto the scene, but with Paul's death (His 4 year anniversary this Saturday) & Joey's departure, Slipknot won't sound the same ever again.

On Record SS>Slipknot , Live Slipknot>SS
    Airbourne though they sound like AC/DC (Seeing as they are both Australian, comparisons were inevitable) are a fantastic band, definitely have to see them live next time their in Ireland.

The singers in AC/DC are/were from the UK though, Silverchair are from Austrailia too but I never heard people draw comparisons for that reason alone the comparisons are made because they clearly have a serious obsession with AC/DC but results have shown its no bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I don't know if this is a popular or unpopular opinion but I'll throw it out there anyway... Metal is the funniest genre of music going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I don't know if this is a popular or unpopular opinion but I'll throw it out there anyway... Metal is the funniest genre of music going.

Some of the artwork on some recent thrash albums are hysterical. It's like going back thirty years and not in a retro ironic way either.

And song titles.

And studded wristbands.

And bullet belts.

And comedy black and white make up.

And as for black metal band's logos? The more indistinguishable the better?

Yes Metal is funny. (And fcukin' awesome too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Metal is the funniest genre of music going.

Don't think that's unpopular at all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

White Lion are a class band with Vito Bratta being one of the best guitarists of the 1980's.

best guitarists full stop, that man wrote the most melodic solo's i've ever heard!
    then he fecked off to mind his parents never to play again :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Metallica's Kill Em All is sh!te

Mastadon bore me

A lot of Slayer's stuff is basically noise, how they know what they're playing is beyond me

Most albums coming out these days are starting to sound the same. I haven't been genuinely excited about an album in an age.

There's a huge amount of blandness in the sound of a lot of bands

People who bitch about bands that aren't metal are definitely the most annoying, case in point when A7X land on the cover of Metal Hammer UK, the keyboard warriors come out in full force. If ya don't like the band don't buy the magazine, simple as.

So much for Rock/Metal being one united fanbase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Djent is not a thing. It never was a thing and it never will be a thing. It's barely even a word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Having worked in 2 rock/metal bars, the opinion that metalheads are notoriously stingy and tight with their money is a valid one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭King George VI

Having worked in 2 rock/metal bars, the opinion that metalheads are notoriously stingy and tight with their money is a valid one :)

Never heard anyone say that about metal heads before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

St. Jimmy wrote: »
    Never heard anyone say that about metal heads before.

First time for everything, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

That's not an unpopular opinion about rock and metal music, that's just insulting its fans.

Advertisement