Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Places to eat in Thurles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Cerbera wrote: »
    There's more to this than can, or will, be posted on here.

Basically the previous proprietor got your money, took it and ran.

Face it, he screwed you.

:eek:

As I said earlier I hope the previous owner doesn't cross my path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 JMLB94

macjohn wrote: »
    Depends on what you are after - there is a little place in the homevalu hardware store, in by the ford dealership, on the Nenagh road that I have poped into a few times. Wraps baps that kinda stuff nice cakes and gateau but for me if on the road they do lovely coffee.
    The last time I was in they seemed to know most customers names - often a good sign that have a lot of regulars which often indicates a nice place

That place is called The Runnerbean, fab coffee in there and the desserts are all home made which is a nice touch. Alot of places tend to bulk buy their desserts but this place obviously makes everything in house. Must head up there again soon. I think they also do outside catering for wedding, christenings etc!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree with JMLB the Runner bean has nice desserts and lovely sambos and smoothies, wasn't fond of the soup though but I'm fussy. So many places have bought in desserts but these are made afaik there.

Treated ourselves to Mitchel House recently not something we get to do often but they are really really good value now esp. the early bird and the food's tasty, not sure if the desserts are bought in but they don't taste or look bought in they just look really well made and they're yum!

Imo if going for a nice breakfast or a nice soup or a tasty traditional dinner the Tara wins hands down, if going for relaxing early evening or evening meal Mitchel House, if going for a nice sambo or panini Runner Bean.
    Shimla I love, staff are so friendly and I love their food.

Would love to try the New st. one, never got a chance to go to SLV but would like to try New St. I'd give them the benifit of the doubt.

Kambos is ok but I do think it'd be nice to have a really good Chinese in the town. Jumbo food is so bad even I couldn't eat the stuff bleah. It used to be grand years ago what happened??

Hungry now.

well New Street in place of SLV didnt last long, has been closed since before Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jockey123

I am from the Thurles area and have always found the Horse and Jockey the best place to eat.Fair enough the place is heaving at times but that is only a testament to how good the food and atmosphere is.Good bar,friendly locals and one of the only hotels in the country not under NAMA I heard recently.
    Wouldn't dream of eating in Thurles.Maybe Shimla though..

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tippguy

new Italian (run by polish) gone into new street/ sou le vent/ nearbuy/ ryans...what next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Jockey123 wrote: »
    I am from the Thurles area and have always found the Horse and Jockey the best place to eat.Fair enough the place is heaving at times but that is only a testament to how good the food and atmosphere is.Good bar,friendly locals and one of the only hotels in the country not under NAMA I heard recently.
    Wouldn't dream of eating in Thurles.Maybe Shimla though..

Very average food and mediocre service.
    Normal pub dinners, nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

Rabies wrote: »
    Very average food and mediocre service.
    Normal pub dinners, nothing special.

+1
    very normal, or sometimes mediorce at busy times.
    Whether its in nama hardly relevant to this thread.
    Bit unfair to compare very standard hotel/pub grub to an entire town??

tippguy wrote: »
    new Italian (run by polish) gone into new street/ sou le vent/ nearbuy/ ryans...what next

Always good to see new business trying, hope they do well.

Was driving but had they some notice in the window about cashcards? Couldn't see it properly - hope they didnt open before ready, like to pay with card.

Any indication of (i) Opening hours? (which seems to be a regular letdown in this venue no matter who is running it)
    (ii)what market they targetting? Formal-ish sit down like the previous crowd or more cafe/bistro style?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

Shimla is nice, and the restaraunt in the shopping centre do a nice fry up.
    Townhouse deli used to do lovely sausage rolls if you need a quick fix, dunno if they are still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Anyone been in Buon Giorno?
    Was (formerly New Street and Sous le Vent before that)

jprboy wrote: »
    Was (formerly New Street and Sous le Vent before that)

been there twice, the first time the food was barely lukewarm and nasty. Second time I got food poisoning as did other members of my party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

I was there last weekend and the food was fine, nothing spectacular but nothing wrong with it.

The cold plates were the only thing I could fault them for.

Anyone been to Le Frene?
    This is where Buon Giorno, New Street and Sous le Vent traded from in the past.

Anyone been to Le Frene?
    This is where Buon Giorno, New Street and Sous le Vent traded from in the past.

A mate was there and said they have a tidy waitress.

He may have mentioned the food but I sort of lost him after the first bit.

:D

• Advertisement

A mate was there and said they have a tidy waitress.

He may have mentioned the food but I sort of lost him after the first bit.

:D

Thanks but I don't think I can sell the place to the OH on this basis :pac:
    Anyone else?

Thanks but I don't think I can sell the place to the OH on this basis :pac:
    Anyone else?
    not a bad place to eat at all but service very slow

not a bad place to eat at all but service very slow

Thanks.
    What are the prices like?

Thanks.
    What are the prices like?

As you are probably aware La Freine is now gone the bridge cafe is the new place there. Its run by Louise that runs the RUnner Bean down in Stakelums. I've eaten there twice and and the food is great, they are only open til six so do more of a breakfast/lunch time trade but anytime i've passed it there always seems to be someone in there. I would highly recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

In the past 20 years that place was over 40 different restaurants. I can remember it was a newsagent back in 1992/3 it must hold the world record as every few months it has a new name and owner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

chris2008x wrote: »
    In the past 20 years that place was over 40 different restaurants. I can remember it was a newsagent back in 1992/3 it must hold the world record as every few months it has a new name and owner
    That could all change now with this new tidy waitress in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

chris2008x wrote: »

This is the place beside the CBS primary school?
    I term ever it as a news agents too. Went to school there in 1988, not the news agents, but the school ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

Had a wrap in Naomi's there a few weeks ago at Westgate. You'd go far to get nicer and very reasonable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

sticksman wrote: »
    Had a wrap in Naomi's there a few weeks ago at Westgate. You'd go far to get nicer and very reasonable too.

Hello Naomi :D

Anyone know what's going into where abrakebabra was in the square

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

heard lar corbet along with someone else is opening an Italian in what was the park avenue soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joey2d

Anyone try the new Ginos diner thinking of going there at the weekend

joey2d wrote: »
    Anyone try the new Ginos diner thinking of going there at the weekend

Hi Mr. Gino.
    Nice first post!! :-)
    Hope the new biz goes well for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

Any suggestions for somewhere for dinner in Thurles on Sunday evening?

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    Any suggestions for somewhere for dinner in Thurles on Sunday evening?

Mitchel House

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Mitchel House
    or Puccinis in Friar street.

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    or Puccinis in Friar street.

I'd find it hard to recommend there :eek:

Although the food is nice the portions are tiny and the service is so slow it's unvbelievable.

Mitchel House would be a far better bet .... unless the poster wants to spend Sunday evening and most of Sunday night there and head home via the Mona

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭anmhi02

I'd find it hard to recommend there :eek:

Although the food is nice the portions are tiny and the service is so slow it's unvbelievable.

Mitchel House would be a far better bet .... unless the poster wants to spend Sunday evening and most of Sunday night there and head home via the Mona

Have to agree with this. We spent over an hour waiting for the starter. Over priced too. But there's always the entertainment in the form of the kitchen staff and chef and head waiter having lots of very heated words with each other.
    Id have to recommend Star of India, lovely food and staff.

anmhi02 wrote: »
    ... But there's always the entertainment in the form of the kitchen staff and chef and head waiter having lots of very heated words with each other...

There's absolutely no entertainment if you're stuck upstairs :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Hi, me and my hubby will be in thurles for a few days the second week of november, can anyone recommend a good indian? thnaks

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    Hi, me and my hubby will be in thurles for a few days the second week of november, can anyone recommend a good indian? thnaks

There are 2 Indiana in Thurles...Shimla and Star of India. I personally much prefer the Star of India. Both are within walking distance from the town square.
    Enjoy your stay.:-)

anmhi02 wrote: »
    There are 2 Indiana in Thurles...Shimla and Star of India. I personally much prefer the Star of India. Both are within walking distance from the town square.
    Enjoy your stay.:-)
    thanks a mil. do you know what pubs do good guinness? the hubby will be happy to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Hope you're not doing a groupon in the anner!

digzy wrote: »
    Hope you're not doing a groupon in the anner!
    we are staying in the anner but booked it through their website. not into groupon at all and know very little about it

• Advertisement

we are staying in the anner but booked it through their website. not into groupon at all and know very little about it

I know it's off topic, but I stayed there last February. 'Twas an experience! I'd take the advice given about restaurants given already. It's some hole.

I know it's off topic, but I stayed there last February. 'Twas an experience! I'd take the advice given about restaurants given already. It's some hole.
    the hotel is a kip?

the hotel is a kip?

Sorry now but it's woeful. The dust, ancient bedroom furniture etc...
    The coup de grace being the "leisure centre' with the Lino peeling back off the wall and the mould growing behind it. My wife was pregnant at the time and I felt awful for dragging us there.

Make sure you're up early for breakfast cos they can't cater for the crowd that usually appear around 930!

Par kings free though:D

Sorry now but it's woeful. The dust, ancient bedroom furniture etc...
    The coup de grace being the "leisure centre' with the Lino peeling back off the wall and the mould growing behind it. My wife was pregnant at the time and I felt awful for dragging us there.

Make sure you're up early for breakfast cos they can't cater for the crowd that usually appear around 930!

Par kings free though:D
    it looks nice on the website, im thinking of cancelling now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

it looks nice on the website, im thinking of cancelling now

Maybe this will give you a better idea, loads of (mixed) reviews here.
    http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g319786-d659721-Reviews-Anner_Hotel-Thurles_County_Tipperary.html

You could always cancel your booking there and book the Horse & Jockey Hotel

It's not too far from Thurles and will cost you about €10 in a taxi to get to Thurles for your Indian.

It'd be a far better quality place than The Anner (yeah The Anner is a dump, the previous owner seemed to syphon off as much money as possible from the place and really let it go down big-time before NAMA got the job of trying to make the place survive)

• Advertisement

could also try Inch House on the opposite side of thurles a few miles out the Nenagh rd. fab restaurant there too

You could always cancel your booking there and book the Horse & Jockey Hotel

It's not too far from Thurles and will cost you about €10 in a taxi to get to Thurles for your Indian.

It'd be a far better quality place than The Anner (yeah The Anner is a dump, the previous owner seemed to syphon off as much money as possible from the place and really let it go down big-time before NAMA got the job of trying to make the place survive)

pitty the anner was let go down. Thurles would do with a decent hotel in the town. Its in a good location plenty of parking, between matches and the events in the colleges if ran right could get decent enough business. Templemore Arms is able to keep decent rooms in a town where feck all is going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Shimla is one of the best indians in Ireland imo

Early bird is great value too!

cancelled the anner and booked the horse and jockey hotel, that looks lovely

Ahhh the horse and jockey is lovely....enjoy....you made the right decision there :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement