Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you are too old/fat/unfit/ *delete as appropriate* to play?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

sheepo wrote: »
    Hi

I wanted to join a junior hurling club in Dublin this year, but I was away at the start of the year and kind of missed the whole pre-season thing.

I presume it's a bit late in the year now to join a club? Considering I last played for my own club in Waterford in 2003!

What do people think?

Thanks

Teams always want new players, if they are any kind of a club worth being in at all. Of course you might have to expect that getting onto the team will be a little more difficult since teams would be fairly settled now, but people get injured, stop training, etc all the time. Clubs need players so don't be shy.

Incidentally if you're looking for a club, Realt Dearg are in the Terenure area (currently training and playing matches in Drimnagh Castle) and we'd love to have you down. Plenty of Waterford involvement as well as players from all over the country. realtdearg.ie for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sheepo

Thanks for the reply realt dearg. I'll take your advice and go for it. I'm over on the northside there so realt dearg would be a bit out of my way but thanks again it's much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭secondattempt

hasdanta wrote: »
    Just thought I'd share my experience with you:

That's pretty cool, I regret not doing the same when I was about 17/18...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 banbatoyota

Hi All,

Am 25 and looking to play some football, haven't kicked a ball in anger since primary school I'd say! I rowed while I was in college and really miss the camaraderie from sport and being in great shape. Finding it hard to get a solid routine with the gym due to work commitments etc. Was booting a ball around with a few friends at the weekend and really enjoyed it and it got me thinking about taking it up again.

Looking for a fairly relaxed set-up if there's such a thing. Living and working in Dublin 2.

Any pointers would be really appreciated. When would be the best time to join in terms of pre-season etc?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

Hi All,

Am 25 and looking to play some football, haven't kicked a ball in anger since primary school I'd say! I rowed while I was in college and really miss the camaraderie from sport and being in great shape. Finding it hard to get a solid routine with the gym due to work commitments etc. Was booting a ball around with a few friends at the weekend and really enjoyed it and it got me thinking about taking it up again.

Looking for a fairly relaxed set-up if there's such a thing. Living and working in Dublin 2.

Any pointers would be really appreciated. When would be the best time to join in terms of pre-season etc?

Thanks

St James Gaels are always looking for players.Based in crumlin.10 min drive from city centre. PM if need more details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 BigFargo

Hi All,

Thanks

Fair play for getting back into it!
    I recently took up hurling again and I haven't played since u14s, I'm 22 now.
    I joined my local junior A team in February just in time for pre season. This seemed to be a good time to join as it gave me a couple of months to try catch up to the others in terms of skill and fitness.
    In regards to game time, I was given a run at the closing stages of league and challenge games but sat out championship games which I expected during my first year!
    Overall I'm delighted I joined back up, you won't regret it either and I'm sure you'll be more than welcome at any club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 OurWorldWasFun

Hi,

I am 27 and living in Newbridge. I recently lost a lot of weight and have the itch to get out and improve my fitness so I would love to get involved in a team around the local area!

Just wondering if anyone on here knows any clubs around the Kildare area that would have any B/C teams!

Thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Hi,

I am 27 and living in Newbridge. I recently lost a lot of weight and have the itch to get out and improve my fitness so I would love to get involved in a team around the local area!

Just wondering if anyone on here knows any clubs around the Kildare area that would have any B/C teams!

Thanks a mil

I'd say both Sarsfields and Moorefield would have third teams. Some of the clubs nearby would have second teams like Milltown or Two Mile House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Hi,

Thanks a mil

Sarsfields, its about 500m from newbridge train station, loads of teams there. theres a gym too with free weights and machines.

St James Gaels Dublin 12 recruiting for new players/members for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Scraiclad

I'm looking to start going to Gaelic training in the next while before TY ends. I'm fairly useless with a ball and know it, but I'm just looking to get fitter and have a bit of craic. Any advice on getting to a level where I won't make a complete show of myself before I start?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Scraiclad wrote: »
    I'm looking to start going to Gaelic training in the next while before TY ends. I'm fairly useless with a ball and know it, but I'm just looking to get fitter and have a bit of craic. Any advice on getting to a level where I won't make a complete show of myself before I start?

Best thing to start off with is yourself and a ball. Make sure it is an O'Neills ball as they are heavier than say soccer balls or the like.

Have you ever played at all or totally new? If new practice running and solo work, bouncing the ball while running and toe tapping it to yourself (You use your instep not toe)

You can help work on your catching by basically booting the ball straight up in the air and catching it both into your chest and also over your head.

You can practice hand passing using a wall, I used to mark an x using muck on it and practice hitting it from different distances and the like.

After that you're really best getting involved in your local club and they will help you from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Scraiclad

Thanks for the advice GAAman. I played under 10s, but fitness was a major problem. I've gotten to a decent fitness level now, so it's mostly lack of confidence holding me back from joining the club. I'll follow your advice and if I can hold my own by the New Year I'll see if I can join up.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 IllBeGrand

Hey, I'd like to play a team sport and was thinking of GAA but I gave up hurling at 12. I'm fairly fit and fairly dedicated when it comes to training but I lack the basic skills for football or hurling. I do bike racing and handball.

Would it be realistic to start into it or to find a club in Dublin or the surrounds that would be glad of an extra player/sub? Basically a team that's stuck?!

Like I say I'm comitted and fit but totally unskilled!

IllBeGrand wrote: »
    Hey, I'd like to play a team sport and was thinking of GAA but I gave up hurling at 12. I'm fairly fit and fairly dedicated when it comes to training but I lack the basic skills for football or hurling. I do bike racing and handball.

Would it be realistic to start into it or to find a club in Dublin or the surrounds that would be glad of an extra player/sub? Basically a team that's stuck?!

You'd be more than welcome in realt dearg, they have three teams and every year there are a few who are total or near total beginners who start out on the third team. You wouldn't even be a sub necessarily, numbers are often tight, and either way game time would be guaranteed on the third team as long as you're doing a bit of training. Realtdearg.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 48 IllBeGrand

You'd be more than welcome in realt dearg, they have three teams and every year there are a few who are total or near total beginners who start out on the third team. You wouldn't even be a sub necessarily, numbers are often tight, and either way game time would be guaranteed on the third team as long as you're doing a bit of training. Realtdearg.ie

Thanks. That sounds perfect I didn't really think about hurling because of the learning curve but I can still hit the ball over the bar from a short distance out!

Thanks. That sounds perfect I didn't really think about hurling because of the learning curve but I can still hit the ball over the bar from a short distance out!

You're probably in the running for the captaincy.

Hey St James Gaels always looking for gaelic footballers. Were back training 6th January in Iveagh Grounds in Crumlin. Your more than welcome to join

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Ollygolf

I recently moved to Tullamore for work. Interested in meeting new people so was considering going back to play football but it's been nearly 7/8 years now. But I'm still in my early twenties. Any ideas of clubs in the Midlands that would welcome new players? (Female by the way)

Gael85 wrote: »
    St James Gaels Dublin 12 recruiting for new players/members for next year.

St James Gaels pre season starting Tuesday at 7 15 in Iveagh Grounds for anyone looking to play Gaelic Football

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 zipzorp

can everyone - does anyone know of a ladies gaa team around the ballsbridge area. im mad to join a team, i was going to go with clanna gael fontenoy but they train on mon and weds and im doing my diploma part time on those nights.. :)

St James Gaels have 2 teams and always looking for new players. We are located in Iveagh Ground on Crumlin Rd. 10/15 drive from city centre Our Junior A plays in Division 7 and Junior B is Division 11. We will be starting back pre season training in January.

http://www.stjamesgaels.com/contact

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jdq

Hi, I'm 35 not the fittest (run 5/6k a week, do 5 a side once a week and do some kettlebells). Moved to a new area recently and have approached the local club about training wit them. They said they would contact me over the coming weeks when they start back. Haven't played football since my teens. Bit nervous to be honest at how it might work out!! Anyone in/been in a similar boat and how did you get on??

St James Gaels/An Caislean have 2 teams and always looking for new players. We are located in Iveagh Grounds on Crumlin Rd 10/15 drive from city centre Our Junior A team plays in Division 7 and Junior B is Division 11. Training is Tuesday and Friday evenings @7-15 and Sunday morning@10-30 in Iveagh Grounds.

http://www.stjamesgaels.com/contact

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Hello folks, I played a reasonable level of hurling up until a couple of years ago but due to work commitments i havent been able to keep it up however I miss the auld game, i wouldnt be able to commit to training but if anybody knew of a club that might need players i would love to get back into it, i work in swords and living near enfield in meath so anything around west dublin would be great, ideally a junior c team with a handful of matches

Fingallians maybe? Every team always wants players, pretty sure they have a few junior teams

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Fingallians maybe? Every team always wants players, pretty sure they have a few junior teams

thanks I will try them out

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SeanJ09

Lads quick one, if player has never played for a gaa club before, how does he go about transferring/registering for the club?

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    Lads quick one, if player has never played for a gaa club before, how does he go about transferring/registering for the club?

There's no transferring required, the club secretary can register him with the county board as a new player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Atticus Jung

jdq wrote: »
    Hi, I'm 35 not the fittest (run 5/6k a week, do 5 a side once a week and do some kettlebells). Moved to a new area recently and have approached the local club about training wit them. They said they would contact me over the coming weeks when they start back. Haven't played football since my teens. Bit nervous to be honest at how it might work out!! Anyone in/been in a similar boat and how did you get on??

You'll find it difficult to begin with but keep at it. Id recommend doing some fitness training in the mean time. I like hiit but anything that gets the heart rate up, like sprints or spinning will be good. Also pace yourself, your going to be pushed so be ready.

Advertisement