Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First bike bum woes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Fiona wrote: »
    I will give it another week and assess the situation!

Good pun ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

I think there will be an initial 'toughening' timeframe. What I found was the sit bones are critical to your comfort. I would go so far as to get them measured. Google is your friend here on how and where to do this. When you get the sit bones supporting your weight you will know. Trust me you'll know. The saddle width as mentioned above will help unlock this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Well Fi.

Keep it up as much as you can. As said above, you'll have forgotten about this all by next month.

I picked up my road bike six weeks ago and I did Dublin to Galway last week. It hurt, but I was able for it :)

Best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

MugMugs wrote: »

I picked up my road bike six weeks ago and I did Dublin to Galway last week. It hurt, but I was able for it :)

Dublin to Galway :eek:

Ah here!!!!

Do you have the cycling shoes? My Dad is harping on about them so much to the point I will have to buy a pair just to stop him talking about them.

I hate being rushed into something I want to do it at my own pace!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Well Fi.

Keep it up as much as you can. As said above, you'll have forgotten about this all by next month.

Best of luck !

Good job, chapeau!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Do you have the cycling shoes? My Dad is harping on about them so much to the point I will have to buy a pair just to stop him talking about them.

Yeah, three mates and I. SHould be some shots of our weary bodies on the Bookface.

I do use the shoes, bought them off another Boardsie here.

Started off with Toe Clips and hated them. Took them off and dealt with flat pedals. Went back to toe clips and came around the being "strapped in" feeling. Then bought some Look Keo's off Chain Reaction and haven't looked back since. If you get them right, you're on the pigs back. If you get them wrong, it's sore knee time.

Dublin Galway was a slow and steady job. Went mountain biking Sunday for the first time in a while and could really feel the benefit from the road biking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Shoes are the business. Don't rush at the same time, you can ask for them for Xmas. I'd recommend SPD pedals and shoes as you can walk in the shoes off the bike. Unless you're getting into serious distances or racing, you don't need the SPD-SL 'road' pedals. They're very good but difficult to walk in.

If you get them right, you're on the pigs back. If you get them wrong, it's sore knee time.

Why sore knees?
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    Shoes are the business. Don't rush at the same time, you can ask for them for Xmas. I'd recommend SPD pedals and shoes as you can walk in the shoes off the bike. Unless you're getting into serious distances or racing, you don't need the SPD-SL 'road' pedals. They're very good but difficult to walk in.

I have an half pedals on my bike already so not sure ifthese would be spd pedals?

Unrelated question

Was driving from Maynooth to Carrickmines this morning and I noticed a cyclist cycling over the M50 bridge towards town :eek::eek:

Is that not highly illegal?

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I have an half pedals on my bike already so not sure ifthese would be spd pedals?

It's unlikely that a bike would come with SPD pedals unless you specifically ordered them. SPDs look something like this:

shimano-m530-spd-mtb-pedal-%5B2%5D-4379-p.jpg

The steel rounded bit clamps around a cleat mounted on your shoe while the white bit is a platform for your foot. Some SPD pedals consist only of the steel clamping bit and rely on the shoe having a stiff sole to provide the platform for your foot.
    Why sore knees?
    If your cleats are not correctly positioned in your shoes, they'll leave your legs straining to straighten out and will put pressure on your knees. It might take a little time to get it just right though I found with SPD pedals that it all felt pretty much ok from the start.
    Unrelated question

Was driving from Maynooth to Carrickmines this morning and I noticed a cyclist cycling over the M50 bridge towards town :eek::eek:

Perfectly legal, that stretch is not motorway. OTOH, it looks like a very uncomfortable route. There is a cycle route which bypasses this but I think it runs through Liffey Valley which makes it a bit of a detour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Why sore knees?

Unrelated question

SPD pedals are "clipless" pedals with cleats on the shoes that clip/click into teh pedal. They are being recommended because the cleats on these pedals are recessed into teh sole of teh shoe so you can walk in the shoes reasonably normally. there is a performance penalty but unless you are pushing the envelope it is unlikely to be significant i suspect. They are standard to mountain bikes rather than road bikes. I use them on my road bike but I am not about to break any speed records anyway and I like teh convenience of being able to walk in them without worrying about slipping or marking wooden floors.

Yes it is illegal to cycle on the m50, not to mention that the verges are covered in debris, so it is also a good way to puncture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Was driving from Maynooth to Carrickmines this morning and I noticed a cyclist cycling over the M50 bridge towards town

Do you mean the M50 Toll bridge?

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Do you mean the M50 Toll bridge?

The N4 bridge over the M50 so technically that part of road is not motorway.
    Still though not for the faint hearted me thinks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The N4 bridge over the M50 so technically that part of road is not motorway.
    Still though not for the faint hearted me thinks!!

Ah right, it's legal as far as I'm aware, and in the rush hour mornings would mean it's probably quite safe as the traffic is generally very slow moving. Probably would not chance it myself when the traffic is light and fast moving though.

I've passed 3 bicyclists (possibly tourists) on the M50 in the past week..:eek:

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I've passed 3 bicyclists (possibly tourists) on the M50 in the past week..:eek:

I hope they registered with Eflow :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,270 ✭✭✭✭fits

If you are still having saddle problems, I had sore ladybits and got the selle smp trk saddle and get on great with it on both the hybrid and road bikes. Might be worth a look if problem persists. I couldn't go further than 20km on the standard saddles.

Did 15km tonight, I know it's only been a week but it's still not getting any better, one more week and if still the same then that's it I am changing it!

Am I doing too much too soon perhaps?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Did 15km tonight, I know it's only been a week but it's still not getting any better, one more week and if still the same then that's it I am changing it!

Id give it longer than a fortnight.

Oryx wrote: »
    Id give it longer than a fortnight.

All I can think of when you say this is the scene from the Snapper

Jaysis me fanny!!!

Won't get out at all this weekend as I am away kinda annoyed I will have a break in my training for this cycle.

It's funny never noticed how many cyclists were on the road until now. Passed so many out on my travels this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Its been mentioned a bit in the replies, but the fundamental fact is that womens pelvises are wider than mens; evolution dontcha know ☺, and the majority of saddles are really only suitable for men. The problem is if you're a woman, how do you find the right saddle ?

Try asking around in work, or with friends who cycle & see if you can get a loaner of some other saddles for a few days. I don't think a 5 min spin from the local bike shop is enough to find that perfect saddle ☺

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

As above.. but there is such a thing as a "wrong" saddle. I've been cycling 14 months/5000k and I'd have gone with the "you need to break your arse in" brigade 100% were it not for my folly with a Prologo Kappa 147mm saddle earlier this week.

Dear...

God....

I was standing up out of the saddle at 14km and I was contemplating walking at 18km. When I got to work at 20k the pain in my hoop was excruciating.

A wide 147 saddle is not for me in a road bike posture.

The pain was that bad that I borrowed a car during lunch and went home and got another saddle, as there was no way I was cycling home using the Prologo Kappa.

If the pain lasts longer than your bum "breaking in" and is constant, then it could well be the saddle and your sit bones. Good/bad shorts won't make a difference.

If the Kappa is for sale and black in colour, I may consider buying it from you. P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Juan More Time

If you are still suffering from saddle related pain then perhaps your saddle is just too narrow to support you properly. Cycleways in Dublin have the Specialized memory foam pad yoke you sit on to determine your correct saddle width. They also stock specialized women's specific saddles in multiple widths.

Some people tend to find a flat saddle more comfortable, while others prefer curved one. The flatter profile specialized women's saddle is the RUBY, while the more curved one is the OURA.

In general females tend to require wider bicycles saddles than males, so even a well padded saddle that's too narrow is gonna cause you a world of pain.

The sit bone pain you describe, sounds a lot like the ischiogluteal bursitis I used to suffer from. it usually makes driving long distances quite literally a pain the ass, while zero discomfort is experienced standing and walking.

Hope this helps.

If you are still suffering from saddle related pain then perhaps your saddle is just too narrow to support you properly. Cycleways in Dublin have the Specialized memory foam pad yoke you sit on to determine your correct saddle width. .

Going to visit them next week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Going to visit them next week!!

Most women I know are using Specialized saddles after trying loads. I have the Oura. If you try one of their saddles and don't like it, you can try another one and so on until you find you one you like. Some women like the men's Romin, I have one on my cyclocross bike and find it similar to the Oura.

Good luck, the right shorts help a lot too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nak wrote: »
    Good luck, the right shorts help a lot too.
    speaking of this, my wife got the lidl leggings last week; they're worse than useless, they seem to be designed by someone who has a hazy memory of what women look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

Fiona welcome to the other side, don't think a bike rack will look cool on the e30 😄. Just go out on short spins as much as you can and also check the position of the saddle as well. Very soon you will have buns of steel.😄

Ps. Much better scene the cycling scene than the car scene and alot nicer bunch.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Its the N4, so no, it is not illegal. Could have been me: I've been doing that route daily for years.
    Most days that stretch is a car park, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

i have to smile, all these replies about your buns! if it was any other kind of discussion any of the males taking part would be considered sexist pigs!

that being said, I sufferd on my first couple of spins, being a sexist pig & not as evolved as a woman my buns only suffered till i got some decent shorts.

I was told by those I was cycling to stick at it & it will be the best fun you can have with your clothes on!

NBar wrote: »
    Fiona welcome to the other side, don't think a bike rack will look cool on the e30 😄. Just go out on short spins as much as you can and also check the position of the saddle as well. Very soon you will have buns of steel.😄

Ps. Much better scene the cycling scene than the car scene and alot nicer bunch.

Yeah the bike rack will give it the rat look haha!
    And wouldn't be hard to find nicer people in the cycling scene bmw drivers are ********* lol!
    rp wrote: »
    Its the N4, so no, it is not illegal. Could have been me: I've been doing that route daily for years.
    Most days that stretch is a car park, anyway.

ill give you a wave tomorrow morning lol ill be doing that route again.
    Bloggsie wrote: »

I was told by those I was cycling to stick at it & it will be the best fun you can have with your clothes on!

I really want to believe you when you say that but being a petrol head we will have to agree to disagree!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Fiona I feel your pain! I still get sore every time I get off my track bike, as soon as I can afford a new/second hand saddle for it I'm buying it! The one thing I would say is check the bike fits you properly. I borrow beautiful road bikes on a Sunday and the difference in getting a bike the right size is huge. One was a 55, which fitted fine but the reach was a bit far and it killed the saddle region on me :eek: one was a 54 with a shorter stem and I never felt the saddle.
    Cut away/out saddles are the comfiest for me, and shorter, butter (i.e. short fat nose as opposed to a long thin male specific nose) fit better but it's really personal, everyone's got different preferences. I dream about the ISM adamo saddles…some day!
    Good shorts and time help also, it can take a month even if you're used to cycling. Welcome and happy cycling!

Advertisement