Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've been suffering from anxiety and panic disorder for the last few months. Today my doctor prescribed Citalopram. I'm just relieved that finally I'm doing something "real" about the problem.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's experiences, good or bad, when taking this to treat anxiety?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

maplesyrup wrote: »
    I've been suffering from anxiety and panic disorder for the last few months. Today my doctor prescribed Citalopram. I'm just relieved that finally I'm doing something "real" about the problem.

I'd be interested in hearing anyone's experiences, good or bad, when taking this to treat anxiety?

I found a website called crazymeds today which seems to give quite good advice on different meds.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

InReality wrote: »
    I found a website called crazymeds today which seems to give quite good advice on different meds.

Is that a dotcom or net op what?.

Its ".us" . Its a bit whacky but I found it accurate for what I'm taking ( lamital )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thanks - factual sites always welcome. I've been deaded by doctor Google way too many times.

I'm feeling really loopy at the minute.. Very hard to concentrate which is a pain.. Oh well..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I feel for you gremlin, I find it hard to describe the place I'm in. It's like purgatory or some sort of suspension between reality that I've always known and what my experience is at present. Just process after process running and running. I thought I knew what it was to be numb before. I didn't think you could get more numb than numb but seemingly you can. Everything is up in the air, it's gone so far it wouldn't even be accurate to say that it's 'bad' any more.

Strange times indeed. As I've said before, if in fact that Life Event comes along and rocks me to my foundations and bursts me open I will be set up for life. Like imagine the appreciation for simple things someone who escapes North Korea has. Having a cigarette on a step with a breeze blowing would be nirvana to them. I think I'll have that if I pop out the other side, and I won't suffer any more but it will take a Big Thing to happen.

I get ya.. I can be somewhat like that the odd time.. Mostly though I fly and crash in widely differing timelines. People don't know from hour to hour which 'me' they are going to get. It's hard on them too because I think it really can be like meeting different people..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Suffer of anxiety for many many years. Now in my late 20s, I want to travel abroad for one year, however, I feel I can't because of my anxiety. Has anyone been in this position?

GeneralC wrote: »
    Suffer of anxiety for many many years. Now in my late 20s, I want to travel abroad for one year, however, I feel I can't because of my anxiety. Has anyone been in this position?

Are you doing anything for it, therapy, medication, or mindfulness at all?

Going to see a psychologist for the last 8 years or so. No meds, can't take them because they affect another health issue of mine. Tried the mindfulness before, didn't stick at it though.

Always viewed this section of boards, but never posted on it, great to see it here :)

• Advertisement

Going to see a psychologist for the last 8 years or so. No meds, can't take them because they affect another health issue of mine. Tried the mindfulness before, didn't stick at it though.

Always viewed this section of boards, but never posted on it, great to see it here :)

Perhaps try mindfulness again, though first off, have you discussed this with your psychologist, if they do cbt or other such therapies they could be of great use to you. I'm in no way medically qualified to advise, but your psych should help..

Oh yes, welcome to the thread.. :)

Yes, practicing CBT, with one of the top psychologists in Ireland, made progress in the last 8 years, but still not comfortable to tackle going away for one year (out of my safety zone)

It's great that you under such qualified care.. Perhaps you can work on 'controlling' your journey? Of course i'm quite stuck in a rut, very much do as i say not as i do..

There have at least been attempts at meet ups, i haven't gone.. Usually not available, and even then i think my nerves would fail me..

Yes, it's funny, we seem to be great at telling other people what to do to combat the anxiety, but we never seem to adapt that practice to ourselves.

I think the best advice I have been given in 8 years of therapy, is not to be afraid of the anxiety, rather to invite it in and just stay with it, don't fight against it, fighting against it will only make it worse.

Are you on any meds, going to therapy?

On meds, awaiting more therapy. Public system and myself not always getting along too well.. :-/

Yes, the public system can be a joke in fairness. Are you getting out and about, managing everyday activities?

Yes, i have a job, i find it a necessity, if left to myself it turns dark quickly sometimes, have self-harmed at various points.. Afraid i have to go now, past my bedtime, i work nights..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I think the best advice I have been given in 8 years of therapy, is not to be afraid of the anxiety, rather to invite it in and just stay with it, don't fight against it, fighting against it will only make it worse.

It can be so hard not to fight against the anxiety though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

It can be so hard not to fight against the anxiety though.

At times it takes over my existence.

At times it takes over my existence.

I think we can all relate to that unfortunately.

• Advertisement

One thing that really guts me about it is that there could have been some good friends along the way but because I freeze there's no interaction and the opportunity is lost..

It's not easy to just stay with it, but, next time you have a panic attack or feeling anxious, stay with it and observe what happens. Your anxiety will go up and down, and you may feel uncomfortable, but over time, it will become easier, and you will soon realise it has no strength and it diminishes.

When my anxiety strikes, I find it nearly impossible to ignore it. My instinct at this stage is to either try to ignore it or to think pleasant thoughts. Embracing it would be the hardest thing to do.

I know it's tough, but you must "embrace" it to overcome it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

When my anxiety strikes, I find it nearly impossible to ignore it. My instinct at this stage is to either try to ignore it or to think pleasant thoughts. Embracing it would be the hardest thing to do.

anxiety by its nature is not meant to be ignored. Its fight or flight. In order to relieve the anxiety you must achieve something that makes it stop.

Of course you can use chemicals and psychologists try words, for people with severe anxiety like ocd, chemicals work best.

Anxiety is an awful feeling alright. Hate it when you cant get a good nights sleep.

I don't think you need "chemicals" to treat severe anxiety. However, some people may need them.

For myself, I wasn't able to function normally in life (leaving the house, working etc) without medication. Medication took away the very worst of the low mood and anxiety. It's still there but to a much smaller degree which, although not nice at all, is nothing compared to what I had back when I wasn't medicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

I've now reinstated my beliefe trust your gut instinct. Today someone really put that to the test. I knew in my heart of hearts I shouldn't have trusted them, I was right.
    anxiety through the roof.

That's the thing there are many approaches that can be used and they can be used separately or combined - with illnesses like this it is often very individual treatment unlike a burn where there is a set procedure in most cases. No wonder it's such a massive talking point in our world. What works for one can often do nothing for another or even worsen things, even if outwardly they appear to be somewhat similar.

• Advertisement

That's the thing there are many approaches that can be used and they can be used separately or combined - with illnesses like this it is often very individual treatment unlike a burn where there is a set procedure in most cases. No wonder it's such a massive talking point in our world. What works for one can often do nothing for another or even worsen things, even if outwardly they appear to be somewhat similar.

Nicely said there G

handbagmad wrote: »
    I've now reinstated my beliefe trust your gut instinct. Today someone really put that to the test. I knew in my heart of hearts I shouldn't have trusted them, I was right.
    anxiety through the roof.

Just concentrate on breath after breath, I recently got severely messed over by someone and I must have spent nearly twenty four hours just living from breath to breath until I could stop my brain flying in a million directions.. Also keep posting or pm if you prefer..

Just concentrate on breath after breath, I recently got severely messed over by someone and I must have spent nearly twenty four hours just living from breath to breath until I could stop my brain flying in a million directions.. Also keep posting or pm if you prefer..

im trying mate x im just so sick of people taking advantage.
    I've done body scan exercise twice already today.
    Keep leaving people manipulate me. Im too soft

im trying mate x im just so sick of people taking advantage.
    I've done body scan exercise twice already today.
    Keep leaving people manipulate me. Im too soft

We're singing off the same sheet there. Keep at it, also I'm on a nightshift so I'll be popping by regular if you can't sleep and want to chat or rant..

I try these days not to beat myself up about stuff.
    I do it automatically - for pretty much anything - ,and would for example if I thought someone was mocking me or managed to take advantage of me.

I've been more lucky recently in that i've managed to notice that i'm doing it , and try and be a bit more kind to my little brain who is doing the best it can in a difficult chemical swirl.

I'm an absolute bastard for rumination

• Advertisement

I'm an absolute bastard for rumination

Ah here - we keep going we could form a choir! Me too. I remember small mistakes a made twenty years ago and place far too much importance on them.. And I call myself all sorts of names for silly little things.. I've slowly managed to lessen it a bit but there's a way to go yet.

I'd love a clean slate but such a thing isn't really possible without a massive upheaval and even then I'd probably still fixate on the past.

I'd love a clean slate but such a thing isn't really possible without a massive upheaval and even then I'd probably still fixate on the past.

If you carry it with you in your head, moving etc is a short term solution - you get distracted by new things to explore but stuff is still in your head for again.

However if you were planning it, moving can be beneficial once you have established the support network (doc, psych whatever) it's about justify the upheaval..

Moving away is somewhat of a fantasy here. I doubt I'd be able for it in the real world though.

Weirdly I changed location a few times without being overly concerned about it.. Perhaps distracted by my own head at times. First few moves were definitely attempts at running away.. From my own head!. Clever that.. ;-)

• Advertisement

A magic wand would be a great tool for us all in here!

It's the tinterwebs, this is exactly where we can indulge in that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I've found that thinking A+B=C theory from CBT has really helped me over the past few days. I can't afford a medical professional so I've decided that I'm gonna have to read about CBT myself and it's working pretty well so far. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

I've found that thinking A+B=C theory from CBT has really helped me over the past few days. I can't afford a medical professional so I've decided that I'm gonna have to read about CBT myself and it's working pretty well so far. Hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

also look up mindfulness or mindfulness training negativecreep. Very usefull techniques for catching your thoughts

also look up mindfulness or mindfulness training negativecreep. Very usefull techniques for catching your thoughts

I was hugely cynical about mindfulness in theory up until maybe last year.. Of course I'd written it off without trying at all. Just a bit of research on it.. Luckily I decided to buy a recommended book on it which came with a cd of exercises too. I will not say it was any gamechanger but it is a seriously useful tool.. I'd equate it to a sling or crutch, helps you get moving again. I would guess it's good for the anxiety side of things but I have to put more work in yet.

Has proven effective as anti depressants in at least one study for depression. I believe (but am not sure how much the research supports this) that if done consistently it would have a significant impact on anxiety, it being psychosomatic.

I have yet to hear or read about someone who practices consistently and is not profoundly more healthy and content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Haven't looked into mindfulness much really! If its anything like meditation I'll probably feel like a twat doing it like I did in school :o but I'll look into it if it has any chance of helping!

Has proven effective as anti depressants in at least one study for depression. I believe (but am not sure how much the research supports this) that if done consistently it would have a significant impact on anxiety, it being psychosomatic.

I have yet to hear or read about someone who practices consistently and is not profoundly more healthy and content.

I don't dispute any of that, just saying that it is very difficult to quash the cynicism of it that some people would have.. Study presumably conducted with people open to the idea which is a lot easier typed here than done..

A few things that have helped me with anxiety/depression, I am sure you all know them already though

1. Sleep, getting to bed before midnight, not staying on boards until 3/4 am ;)

2. Eating healthily, avoiding sugar crashes and hunger, my anxiety gets very high when I am hungry or my sugar levels crash. Kick out the caffeine/smokes in your life. I've noticed even switching to decaf tea instead of regular tea has helped, slightly, but still, every little helps.

3. Exercise, I exercise everyday, I just have too, however, over exercising can cause the body to become tired and anxiety levels tend to incline, so do a little bit everyday, and try mix it up, for e.g walk, cycle, swim etc

4. Talk to someone, a friend, relative, medical professional, share what's going on in your life, don't be ashamed or afraid to talk about your issues with people

5. Get into a routine, wake up at 8am, bed at 10/11pm

6. Take up some new or old hobbies

7. Get Socialising, start off slow, even go for a cup of coffee with a friend in a quiet little cafe

8. Keep a diary/journal and take some notes whenever you wish, but keeping notes daily helps, but remember it doesn't have to be done on a certain time/day, just whenever you feel like

9. Mindfulness practice, this is something I am going to get into more, I recommend the book " Full Catastrophe Living" By Jon Kabat- Zinn for some night time reading.http://www.sanctuary.ie/ have a look at this place if you want to practice it in person within a group

10. Electrical devices, turn them off at least an hour before bed, ^ read that book I recommend before bed instead

11. Be proactive, as much as possible, if someone asks you somewhere or to do something, go do it!

12. Do things that make you happy

13. Join support groups, there is one in the mater hospital, it's a free service I believe, on every second Wednesday of each month, aimed at people with Social Anxiety, but people with General Anxiety/Depression will get something out of it too- they also go for a sneaky drink at the end of it I believe ;). I believe there is also another support group being ran in North Brunswick Street? I don't know too much about it though. http://socialanxietyireland.com/mater-group/the-mater-group-programme/

14. Challenge those negative thoughts, really try break them down and see if you can make sense of them

15. When you have a negative thought, say to yourself "I am going to lock this thought away (in an imaginary box) and come back to it later" turns out you will probably forget what you were stressing about! I find these negative thoughts have no substance or strength behind them

16. If you OCD and wash your hands X number of times, or check something X number of times, try doing it a different number of times, or even better, try not doing it all, then just sit there and feel the anxiety, see what happens, invite it in, don't push away.

17. Anxiety doesn't have to control your life, I know it has and still does control mine, but I have met so many people with it, and I can tell you, people who suffer from this, are the nicest people you will ever meet, however, they're also the most critical and tend to be very hard on themselves, so give yourself a break, don't keep knocking yourself down, give yourself a pat on the back.

18. I hate to say it, but there is no miracle going to happen, you're not going to wake up tomorrow morning all cured, you got to help yourself and be proactive, sitting at home all day just isn't going to work, you need to be doing stuff, an idle mind is a dangerous one IMO!

19. Remember, to slow down and breathe, key! Slow the breathing down, observe it, take deep breaths from the diaphragm and SLOWLY exhale- over-breathing leads to do that 'foggy head feeling' .

Ok, that's it from me, I'll shut up :) You guys probably know all this already, however I thought it may be of some help.

I don't dispute any of that, just saying that it is very difficult to quash the cynicism of it that some people wou ld have.. Study presumably conducted with people open to the idea which is a lot easier typed here than done..

I agree and I have been in positions where I couldn't do it because I mentally couldn't get there. I meant it in a more hopeful way as in if can discipline themselves to, they'll feel better, based on fact. It's not a case of having to have any sort of blind faith or belief in anything other than biology.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement