Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Work Experience

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jb91

Im thinking of doing my 2 weeks Work Experience with a local Solicitor, Anyone ever done their WE with a Solicitor ? ? Whats it like ?

Barry.

Most people that go to solicitors, architects and anyone thats used to working on their own seem to end up shredding paper, licking stamps, making tea etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

Thanks for help guys. Do any of yous have contact details for google. There kinda hard to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

kronnn wrote:
    Thanks for help guys. Do any of yous have contact details for google. There kinda hard to find.
    Gordon House, Grand Canal Dock.

Pop in and ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭yeah-boy

Google Ireland Ltd
    Gordon House
    Barrow Street
    Dublin 4
    Ireland

Fax: +353 (1) 543-1001

:D:D

Thanks a mil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

be sure let us know if you get it or not, i might try there if they offer work experience

I've emailed TV3, East Coast FM, Spin 1038, Metro, Bray People and Wicklow Times. So far I've only heard back from East Coast FM. All their work experience places are gone but they've kept my details in case anyone cancels.

Will type letters to RTÉ and INN tonight. I should get the 3 yeses I need.

2 replies to my emails so far. Neither East Coast FM nor Spin can take any more people for work experience until well into 2008 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

To be honest, I've gotten a zero success rate with emails. Try dropping in somewhere, I've gotten one week by doing that and I still need another! Stress-tastic!

• Advertisement

After getting home yesterday I typed, sealed and stamped NINE letters to RTE, TV3, INN, Evening Herald, Wicklow Times, Bray People, 98fm, FM104 and Metro. I spent six feckin euro on stamps and I had to get them in the post before the last collection or they'd be sitting there til Monday so SOMEONE better say yes now!!!

If not, there's always Tesco :P

Aw jesus! I have to do this again in January! Remind me to get it organized the DAY I get the dates!

bumpy

Ok can anyone give me a reason for why I want to work in a shop that doesn't include 'Because the damn deadlines soon!'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Help!
    I'm seriously screwed. I want do a week of my work experience in a finacial institution but everywhere I ask is already full.
    I already have a week in the Mater, but I want to check other options to try and decide what career path to follow. At the moment I'm stuck between pursuing a degree in actuarial and financial studies and medicine.
    Please help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waheyyy

At the moment I'm stuck between pursuing a degree in actuarial and financial studies and medicine.

woot exact same for me!! I got one week experience with an actuarial firm already, just need to get into some medicinial field now... where are you from? if your from cork i might be able to help you out with the actuary thing

waheyyy wrote:
    woot exact same for me!! I got one week experience with an actuarial firm already, just need to get into some medicinial field now... where are you from? if your from cork i might be able to help you out with the actuary thing
    Thanks for the offer but unfortunately I'm from Dublin. I didn't know that there were actually specific actuarial firms, I guess I always thought they were subdivisions of insuarace companies.

• Advertisement

From 12 letters/emails that I sent last week I haven't had a single reply. I'd rather just get a one word email saying "NO!" than absolutely nothing!!!

Google DEFINITELY dont give work experiance placements. I my cousins friend works there and asked and was told no and my friends aunt who is head of marketing asked the Human Resources department but was told no. So no point in evin trying really. So does anybody know another company that is in the same area as google that might take me on.

Has anyone managed to get work experience through letters & emails? I sent 12 and only got 2 replies, both nos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Ebay possibly?

Letters seem a waste of time. For the april placement im either gonna ring places or call into them...

Ebay possibly?

Letters seem a waste of time. For the april placement im either gonna ring places or call into them...

I don't even have the 2 weeks before Christmas yet. Newsrooms are the only places I really want to go but no one's replying! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭cas91

by newsrooms do u mean newspaper?? or like televisoin/ radio??

cas91 wrote: »
    by newsrooms do u mean newspaper?? or like televisoin/ radio??
    Either really

I tried all the newspapers etc in Limerick. NO replies whatsoever from ANY of them!

I posted the letters last Friday... And I wrote to every good paper in Dublin and Wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So where are you doing your work experience?

I'm doing mine in Ardmore.

There are already 2 or 3 threads about more or less the same topic

Suggest merging of all work experience threads....lol

Happened to me too! Ended up calling into a place that I had a small interest in and got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 villadonn

looking for something in media but not realy sure where to go any reccomendations

villadonn wrote: »
    looking for something in media but not realy sure where to go any reccomendations
    I'm the same. Don't bother with letters and emails because I've had hardly any replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭vespahead

ye just wondering is how other people are feeling about there work experience

im in virgin in blanch nd i think its dedli a fair bit of work but its well gud ye get ta bang on a few tunes nd get on wit it,geuss it helps dat evry one in theres sound as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

vespahead wrote: »
    ye just wondering is how other people are feeling about there work experience

im in virgin in blanch nd i think its dedli a fair bit of work but its well gud ye get ta bang on a few tunes nd get on wit it,geuss it helps dat evry one in theres sound as well

Ah holey moley, that post was harder to decrypt than hieroglyphics!

Yep its good im done tomorrow:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Have to give details to ty cord-ordinater about what we're doing tomorrow[Our first week is the 19th to the 23th]. Have applied loadsa places,no luck though- Gonna take the day off tomorrow and spent the day sorting it out!

Have to give details to ty cord-ordinater about what we're doing tomorrow[Our first week is the 19th to the 23th]. Have applied loadsa places,no luck though- Gonna take the day off tomorrow and spent the day sorting it out!
    Don't bother with letters and emails. I sent 15 and only got 2 replies, both nos.

I didn't sent either. I rang up about 10 places, narrowed it down to iQon, The Library, Dundalk Shipyard[office],My dads Solicitor's office and Xerox.

Best to ring places......forget emailing and letters in my opinion

Going to a newspaper office for 2 weeks straight after mid term. Hours are good (Wont post here just in case they get into the wrong hands lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭FranchisePlayer

Already did mine this week in a I.T place down in wexford fair bit of a journey as I live in CO.Carlow(More closer to Kilkenny really:p) but defo worth it. leartnt loads of **** lucky to get in there our server in school by this company and hence it was easy to get the job:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

google definitely don't give work experience, it's because of security apparently, you need a swipe card and clearance to go anywhere, sign affidavits if you're visiting, they really don't want any secrets being leaked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Well, that's what they told me... :(

OK, now I'm seriously worried.

I have been looking for Work Experience since late July/early August, and, bar my week in the Mater hospital, I am very, very screwed. I have got at least ten negative replies from potential companies.

I thought I had a week in a stock broking company, but I was wrong. It sucks. I mean they seemed really positive and, for once, interesrted in in the notion of work Experence. They lead me along for a about three weeks and then, zap.

Any ideas about actuarial/financial work experience in Dublin?

Please help. I only have a few weeks!!!!

PS - I'm slowly beginning to resent the finacial world.

Was on the same place as you a month ago and I just ended up doing work in a place that I wouldn't be terribly interested in but you know, I had to go somewhere.

Maybe try a bank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Don't most big companies have a finance department? I'd imagine finance doesn't vary an awful lot between companies so it doesn't matter too much what they actually deal with...

Conor108 wrote: »

Maybe try a bank?

Apparently Banks will be slow to take people for work experience. Confidentiality issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Still not sure what to do.
    My w.e. is in december but my only ideas are:
    hmv
    tower records
    gamestop/game

Help :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

|Cookies wrote: »
    Not true.

i got a week in Microsoft and a week in Google last year.

Mind telling us how? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Go for work experience in a business/profession that you'd be interested in when you're older. The places you listed are all retail, so maybe you should try somewhere else, like if you're interested in music, a radio station maybe, or recording studio.
    I'm in 6th year now and I'm sort of regretting where I went for my work experience, because I didn't get to see what careers are like that I actually have an interest in. Of course, it's hard to know what you'll want to do in two years when you're in TY!

Got mine- Library confirmed it today!

Gonna learn from my lessions - Im going to start looking for my march we placement this week!

!

Gonna learn from my lessions - Im going to start looking for my march we placement this week!

I've learned likewise!!!

I have to start looking for my April placement soon. I should not leave it on the back burner like I have previously!!

3 rejections in one day. Yay!!!!!!!

Is just me or does the whole financial sector completely dispise TY's? I probably left it to late (mumble, apparently starting in July isn't early enough, mumble). Oh well, I'll try again (and again and again and again).
    I am beginning to regret not accepting a week in a Mini-Med School. GRRRRRRRRR.
    To any third years reading who are considering work experience in the financial area, my advice to you is this: begin looking for work experience now. No matter how well you do in the JC (believe me, I got all A's at HL), getting work experience in a bank, etc. is nigh impossible unless you apply early. Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement