Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

aoshea83 wrote: »
    Does anybody know if it is yet possible to jailbreak an Iphone 3GS running 4.3.4? My friend upgraded her itunes and lost her JB.

Would there be an untethered JB?

There is one available but it's thethered

Thanks for that, il let her know!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

There is one available but it's thethered

Hi,

Could you post a link to this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

Hi,

Could you post a link to this please?

no bother

http://tinyurl.com/jailbreak-4-3-4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Apart from the obvious use of network unlocking after a jailbreak , what else are u all using jailbreak to do? I have no interest in changing themes on my iPad as i like the apple ones and the cydia store seems to be more expensive than the apple app store.Can anyone tell me what I'm missing with not jail breaking my iPad ?

scwazrh wrote: »
    Apart from the obvious use of network unlocking after a jailbreak , what else are u all using jailbreak to do? I have no interest in changing themes on my iPad as i like the apple ones and the cydia store seems to be more expensive than the apple app store.Can anyone tell me what I'm missing with not jail breaking my iPad ?

I'll be honest, if you don't know why you need or want to jailbreak your iPad then don't, and i'm not being smart or anything, most people who jailbreak their device have a specific reason for doing so, whether it's to unlock it, customise it, allow it to do things restricted at the time (facetime over 3g and skyp over 3g are two examples), play DivX files and in some cases illegal 'stuff', I for example couldn't do without SBSettings!

All the above are only a small example, all I say is think about something you would like the ipad to do that it can't at the moment, then check here if it's possible with a jailbreak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Hi All

I have an iPhone 3GS & I did a something stupid last night :(. I connected my iPhone to intunes to sync some new music to it. The usual apple message came up saying did I want to download latest itunes. I clicked yes, but by mistake also updated the iPhones firmware to 4.3.4. :mad:.

I was running JB on 4.3.3 and I do have my SHSHs saved on cydia. I tried to downgrade but got various errors. I also tried tiny umbrella to fix that by editing the hosts file and putting in "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" on my PC but no joy. I did read it should be easy enough to downgrade once you have your SHSHs saved on cydia.

I tried to run the Redsn0w tethered JB on 4.3.4 and got cydia working but it kept crashing anytime i had to respring or reboot after installing cydia apps.

I decided to just do a restore back to factory settings to make the phone usable and lost all my apps etc. I was lucky enough to have the app list backed up on my PC. Its just gonna be tedious reinstalling them all :).

Its amazing how once you use a JB phone its hard to go back to the non JB phone. :rolleyes:

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: I must pay closer attention to iTunes message updates in the future :rolleyes:

Hi All

I have an iPhone 3GS & I did a something stupid last night :(. I connected my iPhone to intunes to sync some new music to it. The usual apple message came up saying did I want to download latest itunes. I clicked yes, but by mistake also updated the iPhones firmware to 4.3.4. :mad:.

I was running JB on 4.3.3 and I do have my SHSHs saved on cydia. I tried to downgrade but got various errors. I also tried tiny umbrella to fix that by editing the hosts file and putting in "74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com" on my PC but no joy. I did read it should be easy enough to downgrade once you have your SHSHs saved on cydia.

I tried to run the Redsn0w tethered JB on 4.3.4 and got cydia working but it kept crashing anytime i had to respring or reboot after installing cydia apps.

I decided to just do a restore back to factory settings to make the phone usable and lost all my apps etc. I was lucky enough to have the app list backed up on my PC. Its just gonna be tedious reinstalling them all :).

Its amazing how once you use a JB phone its hard to go back to the non JB phone. :rolleyes:

Edit: I must pay closer attention to iTunes message updates in the future :rolleyes:

You can jailbreak your device using Redsn0w but it's tethered, when you need to reboot your device after installing anything you have to use Redsn0w to do it.

You can jailbreak your device using Redsn0w but it's tethered, when you need to reboot your device after installing anything you have to use Redsn0w to do it.
    Hi All

future :rolleyes:

Tried that already aoshea83. Thanks anyway :).
    Just gotta wait for an untethered JB for 4.3.4

• Registered Users Posts: 39 northernstar

I jailbroke my phone and now ive lost some things (camera, calculator) how do i get these back? if i connect my phone and update it will i go back to normal?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

Hi All

open tiny umbrella and start the tss server, open itunes and hold shift and click restore, ya need to download 4.3.3 ipsw first so get it from iclarified

when it restores it will give an error 10xx that the iphone cant be restored and to try it again, go back to tiny umbrella and click on the iphone and click fix recovery

if that doesnt work put the iphone in DFU, hold the power and home button till the pc beeps and keep holding the home button till it beeps again

download http://cache.firmwareumbrella.com/downloads/fixrecovery-win.zip and extract it, download http://www.mediafire.com/?2pj37i3y6251a2b and extract it to the same folder as the previous one

run fixrecovery43.exe and wait a few mins, the iphone will restart and then ya need to connect to itunes to activate it

• Advertisement

guil wrote: »
    open tiny umbrella and start the tss server, open itunes and hold shift and click restore, ya need to download 4.3.3 ipsw first so get it from iclarified

when it restores it will give an error 10xx that the iphone cant be restored and to try it again, go back to tiny umbrella and click on the iphone and click fix recovery

if that doesnt work put the iphone in DFU, hold the power and home button till the pc beeps and keep holding the home button till it beeps again

download http://cache.firmwareumbrella.com/downloads/fixrecovery-win.zip and extract it, download http://www.mediafire.com/?2pj37i3y6251a2b and extract it to the same folder as the previous one

run fixrecovery43.exe and wait a few mins, the iphone will restart and then ya need to connect to itunes to activate it

Thanks for the detailed help. I will try it later :)

i'm only after doing it on my iphone 4, i was already on 4.3.3 but wanted to restore to it, tinyumbrella wouldnt kick it out of recovery or fix recovery

let me know how ya get on anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Okay, guys, I really need help on this. I've been messing about all day and still haven't gotten it going.

I was given a 3gs that's locked to O2. I needed to unlock it (I know I can get the guy to apply for it but that would take two weeks) so I went and did the jailbreak - unlock method.

It took a while but managed to jailbreak the new 4.3.4 ios using redsn0w. I then installed the repo666.ultrasn0w.com, through cydia, to Unlock the phone. It went through the install successfully. I restarted springboard and got back into the phone.

It picked up my SIM all right, but I only have 1 bar. No Carrier and cant make any call.
    When I plug it into iTunes I get the message:
    The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.
    Only compatible SIM cards from a supported Carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert SIM card that came with your iPhone etc etc etc...

This looks like the job hasn't been done, but can't figure out what's going wrong.

Note1: The sim being used is a replacement SIM I got to put in an old 3G phone to keep my going. From what I've read that should work fine in iPhone, but maybe someone can confirm that for me.
    Note2: I've tried rebooting numerous times to no avail.
    Note3: If I turn on Airplane Mode then off again I get SIM Failure... that doesn't go away until I take it out and put it back in.
    Note4: In Settings, the Carrier option is missing. Just Airplane Mode / Wi-Fi / Personal Hotspot / Location Services. No Carrier.

So, any ideas? Really appreciate help on this. Need to get it going.

Cheers....

EDIT: And to add, I am on Modem Firmware : 05.16.02. I've just been reading that to unlock on that firmware I have to update to 6.15 ipad baseband. But I dont that I can do that on the 4.3.4 firmware. Is it a lost cause?

ultrasn0w wont unlock that baseband, get your friend to request the unlock from o2, it can be as quick as 2 days

ultrasn0w wont unlock that baseband, get your friend to request the unlock from o2, it can be as quick as 2 days

Cheers. Why it can't tell you this in majority of unlock guides/tutorials I dont know. It took me to search for the baseband to find it.

it says it on the dev-team blog, they released ultrasn0w

Feck it. Decided to restore the iPhone as I dont really need it jailbroken and since it's a tethered jailbreak it sucks anyway.

So, went to restore and it failed. I keep getting the error 3194 error message when iTunes tries to verify with Apple.

I have done a bit of searching and the only solution I've found is to add
    74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com
    74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com
    to the end of the windows hosts file. Restarte iTunes and put iPhone in DFU mode. Then restore should work.
    It doesn't. Still the same error message at the same point.

Any ideas?

Does the phone "need" to have the jailbreak removed for O2 to unlock it? My assumption would be that it doesnt make a difference. I was just going to restore just in case. But if it's no issue I wont worry about this problem for now.

did you try install the ipad baseband, if so ya wont be able to do a standard restore in itunes, onyl with custom ipsw's, your host file shouldn't have those apple lines in it because thats pointing itunes to cydia's server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 How Many Users

if you haven't gone up to 4.3.4 you should be able to:confused:
    I've upgraded loads of iphones to 4.3.3 custom firmwares in the last week although 4.3.4 is out

That is because the signing window was still open, it is closed now.

• Advertisement

exactly like the poster above said, there was a similar discussion here around the time of 4.2, users were saying ya could downgrade to 4.1 without blobs saved but apple were still signing it at the time

did you try install the ipad baseband, if so ya wont be able to do a standard restore in itunes, onyl with custom ipsw's, your host file shouldn't have those apple lines in it because thats pointing itunes to cydia's server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

No didnt upgrade the baseband at all. Still as standard.

I've also tried restoring from the ipsw (iPhone2,1_4.3.4_8K2_Restore.ipsw) that I used to jailbreak, but that didnt work either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I have a 4th gen iPod touch here and I have downloaded the ipsw to restore it in iTunes(using shift click), but iTunes keep throwing up the error below

5967112389_2fd23f7e89.jpg

Any ideas on how to resolve this, I have edited the hosts file in system32/drivers/etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Was attempting to jailbreak an iPhone 4, 4.3.4 with Redsn0w last night. All was going well, looked like the jailbreak was complete then the "connect to iTunes" message came up. Did a full restore (after a few heart attacks) and all was good again. Any ideas where I messed up? Thanks.

jimbling wrote: »
    No didnt upgrade the baseband at all. Still as standard.

I've also tried restoring from the ipsw (iPhone2,1_4.3.4_8K2_Restore.ipsw) that I used to jailbreak, but that didnt work either.
    did ya remove the gs.apple lines from the host file, if they are there itunes cant restore the phone
    justryan wrote: »
    I have a 4th gen iPod touch here and I have downloaded the ipsw to restore it in iTunes(using shift click), but iTunes keep throwing up the error below

5967112389_2fd23f7e89.jpg

Any ideas on how to resolve this, I have edited the hosts file in system32/drivers/etc
    what firmware are you trying to restore to and do you have backups oh the SHSH files, download tinyumbrella and run it with the iphone connecected, click save my shsh and it will tell you what backups are available
    naasrd wrote: »
    Was attempting to jailbreak an iPhone 4, 4.3.4 with Redsn0w last night. All was going well, looked like the jailbreak was complete then the "connect to iTunes" message came up. Did a full restore (after a few heart attacks) and all was good again. Any ideas where I messed up? Thanks.
    was it the activation screen that came up, it has the connect to itunes logo on screen but also a slider on the bottom to call emergency services

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

was it the activation screen that came up, it has the connect to itunes logo on screen but also a slider on the bottom to call emergency services

No, the pineapple logo was up for a while, the status bar filled, then all that white text scrolled down the screen for a moment, it rebooted then the USB & iTunes icon, no slider bar.

Thanks.

did ya remove the gs.apple lines from the host file, if they are there itunes cant restore the phone

I dont get you. The reason I put those lines in was as a solution to not being able to restore. i.e. I read that I needed to add those lines in order to get itunes to restore, so I put them in and tried again.
    Either way, I have removed them again, still failing on the restore though. Not sure where to go from here.

Whats the story with the O2 unlock? Will that go ahead as normal without me un-jailbreaking the phone? If so, will restoring at a later date (once I figure it out) have any effect on the unlock by O2?

Btw, cheers for the help so far.

if you try to restore in itunes the only firmware that you can restore to is the one apple currentl sign, at the moment it's 4.3.4. cydia's creator, saurik, found a way around this to restore to any firmware as long as you saved the SHSH blobs while apple was signing the relevant firmware, to restore to an unsigned firmware you have to have to have a copy of the blobs and then edit your host file to point itunes to cydia's server

Notcom released a program to save the blobs called the tinyumbrella, the program can save the blobs or tell you what blobs cydia has saved and edit the host file if needs be
    all in all theres no need to do any of this if you are restoring to stock firmware

the unlock will come through regardless if the phone is jailbroken or not, i dont think it will work if ultrasn0w is installed though

once apple unlock it, it will stay unlocked

if you try to restore in itunes the only firmware that you can restore to is the one apple currentl sign, at the moment it's 4.3.4. cydia's creator, saurik, found a way around this to restore to any firmware as long as you saved the SHSH blobs while apple was signing the relevant firmware, to restore to an unsigned firmware you have to have to have a copy of the blobs and then edit your host file to point itunes to cydia's server

Ya, I was reading something about that all right, but I didnt think that was an issue when I am trying to restore to the latest firmware through iTunes.

the unlock will come through regardless if the phone is jailbroken or not, i dont think it will work if ultrasn0w is installed though

once apple unlock it, it will stay unlocked

I'll uninstall ultrasn0w so.... cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

Hi I'm jailbroken on 4.3.3 in the last couple of days I can't install anything from Cydia keep getting a posix error and Cydia installer just hangs ...... Any ideas how to fix?

Advertisement