Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Unlocking, Jailbreak, Cydia, etc - All discussion goes here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

OK ... hope someone can help with this.

I have a friends iPhone 3GS which I jailbroke with redsn0w. All went well with the jailbreak and Cydia are working perfectly. The problems started when I tried to unlock from Vodafone to Meteor. I used ultrasn0w and now have the following;

Firmware: 4.3.3 (8J2)
    Carrier: Meteor 10.1
    Model: MC637B
    Baseband (modem firmware): 06.15.00

When I go to carrier settings the iPhone picks up Meteor, Meteor 3G, 3 and O2. I've chosen "automatic", but I still get "no service". Is automatic the correct choice here?

I followed all the instructions on this thread (and the others linked to here) but when the iPhone is turned on it goes to "searching" for about 10 minutes and then "No Service".

I'm baffled as to what I've done wrong here. Anyone any ideas?

/edit/ phone just started working ... problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

can any baseband over 05.13.04 be upgraded to the ipad baseband ?

Yes on an iphone 3G or 3GS.
    You cannot got back one youve changed and you can no longer restore the phone in itunes, you must use custom firmware.
    Some users have also reported gps stopping working, I've never had that issue on the 10 or so ive done

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

Rebel021 wrote: »
    It will let him restore the phones.
    I had the same problem phone wouldn't restore and was stuck in restore mode so I deleted the host file completely from
    c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    and then it restored fine.

The
    (This should work fine but you will lose all music, photos, videos and books :S)
    in my above post was taken from another forum where the poster was explaining that he would lose his media by the procedure.
    yes, i never said it wouldn't allow him restore but theres no need to edit the host file unless ya used tinyumbrella or similar to downgrade the firmware or edited it previously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

* Remove the line that has gs.apple.com completely and save the file.

When I search the hosts file for "gs.apple.com" I find it on four lines. Do I delete them all?

yes, or just download the ms fixit utility
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972034

• Advertisement

On Windows:

* Locate the hosts file in one of the following directories:
    Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts
    Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    Windows XP, Vista, 7 c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    * Right click and click on "Open With..." and then click on "Notepad" on the list.
    * Remove the line that has gs.apple.com completely and save the file.

Right I did this and very little has changed. When I do a normal restore, I still get a 1015 error. However, when I try to restore to a custom firmware I get a 1064 error. :-(

try restoring from recovery with gs.apple removed from the hosts file, the easiest way to get it in recovery is turn it off and connect to the oc and hole the home button, itunes will say it has detected an iphone in recovery mode and restore

guil wrote: »
    try restoring from recovery with gs.apple removed from the hosts file, the easiest way to get it in recovery is turn it off and connect to the oc and hole the home button, itunes will say it has detected an iphone in recovery mode and restore

That's part of the problem. Both handsets are stuck in recovery mode. I'll try a few restores from DFU mode after work later and see what that throws up now that I've played around with the hosts file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Jailbreak me is out again woop woop

http://modmyi.com/content/4828-jailbreakme-com-3-safari-based-jailbreak-returns-ipad-2-supported.html

Go to http://www.jailbreakme.com/ this will jailbreak your devices including ipad 2 without a pc :D I remember when this was released on the first iphone, good times:D

EVERYONE PLEASE USE THIS IF YOU CAN, its near impossible to fcuk up.

Supported devices
    :iPad1: 4.3 through 4.3.3
    iPad2: 4.3.3
    iPhone3GS: 4.3 through 4.3.3
    iPhone4: 4.3 through 4.3.3
    iPhone4-CDMA: 4.2.6 through 4.2.8
    iPod touch 3g: 4.3, 4.3.2, 4.3.3
    iPod touch 4g: 4.3 through 4.3.3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Just saw this news, yee-haw for the simple jailbreak!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

HI folks, my friend gave me her 3gs that she upgraded by accident .

Its not letting me use the phone with the meteor card in it at all once restored, so i cant go to jailbreakme.com :(

How will i unlock it now?... thanks in advanced :)

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

iPhone 3GS - 4.2.1. (8C148a) on 05.15.04 - Windows XP SP2

Attempting to upgrade baseband to iPad 06.15.00 using Redsn0w 0.9.6rc16.
    Doing it for a friend as he needs the unlockable baseband and is willing to sacrifice his GPS.

Everything goes fine until it attempts to fetch the iPad baseband from the Apple servers, then, the program closes itself down and does not re-open and I have to manually reboot the phone.

I've read around and I've run the program in both Admin Mode on XP and also Compatibility Mode. It seem that the problem is that I have both the 'Install iPad Baseband' and 'Install Cydia' boxes checked/ticked. Apparently if i do them one at a time it will work.

My question is, if I run one, for example the Cydia install process first, will the phone definitely allow me to repeat the same steps and afterwards install the iPad baseband later or vice versa?

Would appreciate any help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

All the icons on my springboard have the 'delete' icon on them all the time...
    They arent wobbling as if ive held on one to delete it though.
    Ive installed the tweak to add 4 rows of 5 app icons,any ideas how to get rid of the 'X' delete icons been displayed all the time?
    If i touch the 'X' it asks do I want to delete,I dont & definetly dont want to by mistake.

By the way,4 rows of 5 icons is a lovely tweak IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

I have an iPhone 4 on 4.0.2 and unlocked using UltraSnow.

Cydia isn't working properly - it needs and upgrade but when I try to upgrade it throws error. Also, the coverage can just drop sometimes which I'm guessing could be Cydia/Ultrasnow related.

I want to restore so that I can reinstall Cydia.

I'm too late to save shsh's in TinyUmbrella - 4.0.2 isn't supported anymore.

How can I go about restoring and unlocking?

I'm also afraid if the phone ever crashs and needs to be restored I'm fecked as I can't save the shsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

jamieh wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have an iPhone 4 on 4.0.2 and unlocked using UltraSnow.

Cydia isn't working properly - it needs and upgrade but when I try to upgrade it throws error. Also, the coverage can just drop sometimes which I'm guessing could be Cydia/Ultrasnow related.

I want to restore so that I can reinstall Cydia.

I'm too late to save shsh's in TinyUmbrella - 4.0.2 isn't supported anymore.

How can I go about restoring and unlocking?

I'm also afraid if the phone ever crashs and needs to be restored I'm fecked as I can't save the shsh.

What baseband are you on?? Go to general/settings/about and you're looking for "modem firmware"

If it's 01.59.00 (which i think it should be) you can preserve your baseband while updating to 4.3.3 if you use tinyumbrella or sn0wbreeze.

Preserving your baseband is vital for ultrasn0w to be able to unlock you. So thread carefully, in saying that, there are lots and lots of step by step guides so just take your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭jam_on_toast

Hi all,

Don't know much about unlocking etc and this may be simply answered elsewhere but if somebody could help me out, that would be great.

I've got Iphone 3GS on o2 bill pay 18month contract (will expire soon).

I will soon be moving to the UK permanently and was wondering if I can buy a prepay sim card (on any network) over there and use it for my iphone? Will it be as simple as bringing my phone into a shop over there and they will setup or will I have to unlock / jailbreak? (are these the same thing by the way?)

Thanks

ask o2 to unlock it for you, it will take 2-14 days but they will text you when its ready to be unlocked, after you get the message connect the phone to itunes to unlock it

an unlock allows you to use any sim in the phone, jailbreak allows you to install apps and tweaks etc, that apple don't allow out of the box

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Apple have released 4.3.4...

Anyone who hasn't used jailbreakme yet, beware when updating in iTunes, if you update to 4.3.4 your screwed for the time being! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭frank gallagher

??

want an app but cant find a jailbroken version

FG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Apps do not get jailbroken. The device does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

??

want an app but cant find a jailbroken version

FG

Apps get cracked and yes their are apps that crack them. Say if you bought an app and wanted to let someone else"try" it, the app could crack it and allow you to send it them. I cant post the app or where to get it or where to request apps becuase that would be against the fourm charter and the mighty mods will strike me down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

why wont installious not work anymore :(

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

but1er wrote: »
    why wont <snip> not work anymore :(

Ohhhhhhhhh nooooooooo he said the 'I' word :D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

Basically I was living under a rock and didnt realise a jailbreak was available for iPad 2 and so didnt upgrade to 4.3.3.

Worse yet, Apple is now only signing 4.3.4 so I cant move up.

How could I jailbreak? At all?

you should be able to create a custom 4.3.3 firmware using pwnage tool and upgrade to it in dfu mode(also using pwnage tool).

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

I cant finding a working link on google to the latest pwnage tool, anyone know where I might find?

What ever happened to that PDF leak jailbreak?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

you should be able to create a custom 4.3.3 firmware using pwnage tool and upgrade to it in dfu mode(also using pwnage tool).

This wont work, apple still need to sign the firmware even if it is a custom one. Unfortunatly you are out of luck on on this jailbreak unless you connected the iPad to tiny umbrella and saved the shsh blobs. Even if you did it for 4.3.1 they will cydia will keep resigning it for you up to 4.3.3

kjl wrote: »
    This wont work, apple still need to sign the firmware even if it is a custom one. Unfortunatly you are out of luck on on this jailbreak unless you connected the iPad to tiny umbrella and saved the shsh blobs. Even if you did it for 4.3.1 they will cydia will keep resigning it for you up to 4.3.3

if you haven't gone up to 4.3.4 you should be able to:confused:
    I've upgraded loads of iphones to 4.3.3 custom firmwares in the last week although 4.3.4 is out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Does anybody know if it is yet possible to jailbreak an Iphone 3GS running 4.3.4? My friend upgraded her itunes and lost her JB.

Would there be an untethered JB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

Does anybody know if it is yet possible to jailbreak an Iphone 3GS running 4.3.4? My friend upgraded her itunes and lost her JB.

Would there be an untethered JB?

There is one available but it's thethered

Advertisement