Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round...2015??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

34 points of 12 yesterday.
    I used to try not to have any 3 putts in a round. Now I'm just hoping not to 4 putt, had two of them yesterday, both being on in regulation on long low index par 4's and walking off with a 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

38 points in Tues open came 5th no cut cause CSS was 38 which is fcuking ridiculous!!!
    Joke. Css is way to high as a result of members not handing in their card!

I was shocking bad of the Tee the dread slice is back! only 1 scratch which was the first sliced it OB. Wasn't the only hole I sliced OB but recovered well thanks to some super Iron play and good putting...would of had a really good score only for my slicing off the Tee, was even happening with me 3 wood and has slowly crept in the last few rounds :mad:

Lesson Sat to sort it cause I cant figure it out and know its something simple! :mad: but hopefully a big score next Monday last chance saloon now I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

benny79 wrote: »
    38 points in Tues open came 5th no cut cause CSS was 38 which is fcuking ridiculous!!!
    Joke. Css is way to high as a result of members not handing in their card!

I was shocking bad of the Tee the dread slice is back! only 1 scratch which was the first sliced it OB. Wasn't the only hole I sliced OB but recovered well thanks to some super Iron play and good putting...would of had a really good score only for my slicing off the Tee, was even happening with me 3 wood and has slowly crept in the last few rounds :mad:

Lesson Sat to sort it cause I cant figure it out and know its something simple! :mad: but hopefully a big score next Monday last chance saloon now I think!
    What's the SSS of your course?

Its always the same as the CSS so yesterday would of being 70. Its a Par 72 course.
    Excuse my ignorance but I don't know much about SSS only really know what you get cut by depending on your score & CSS. Which is always high at my club between 37-39 never lower and rarely 37.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

benny79 wrote: »
    Its always the same as the CSS so yesterday would of being 70. Its a Par 72 course.
    Excuse my ignorance but I don't know much about SSS only really know what you get cut by depending on your score & CSS. Which is always high at my club between 37-39 never lower and rarely 37.

As far as know the CCS can only be 1 shot higher than the SSS and 3 shots lower my guess would be the SSS of your course 70 ?? if so the way i look at it is you are in essence playing course Par of 72 with your handicap less 2 shots from the start. My guess would be that its more to do with the difficulty of the course rather than the volume of people not returning cards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

kieran. wrote: »
    As far as know the CCS can only be 1 shot higher than the SSS and 3 shots lower my guess would be the SSS of your course 70 ?? if so the way i look at it is you are in essence playing course Par of 72 with your handicap less 2 shots from the start. My guess would be that its more to do with the difficulty of the course rather than the volume of people not returning cards.

Correct the SSS has nothing to do with people returning cards or not, it is set by the GUI as to what it should be from various tees. This is based on the distance/difficulty etc.

The base CSS will always be the SSS from that tee and will fluctuate based on that particulars days scoring.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Correct the SSS has nothing to do with people returning cards or not, it is set by the GUI as to what it should be from various tees. This is based on the distance/difficulty etc.

The base CSS will always be the SSS from that tee and will fluctuate based on that particulars days scoring.

Yes so if a number of players dont return poor cards it will seem the course is playing easier and the CSS will be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

I believe a poor card is similar to an NR and wouldnt really effect the CCS on the other hand a good card which is NR'd would have had an effect on the CCS.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

Played a scotch foursomes last Sunday. First time ever playing this format but I really enjoyed it. Played with a good friend & we dovetail really well. He plays off 13 & I play off 12 so our handicap was 3/8's of the combined (9.4).

We crossed 4 over & we were fairly happy, outside of a short putt on the first that my partner missed we holed everything that you'd expect to make as well as a decent length putt from myself & him chipping in for a bird on the 7th.

We finished the front 9 with 2 bogies that were just down to poor chips from easy positions so we had a small regroup on the 10th and said we need to play the next 3 in 1 over but we actually went on to par the next 5. The 5th par was probably our highlight after both of us hit very poor drives on a par 5 & left ourselves in trouble. I hit a nice 6 iron back into play and he creamed a driving iron to 40 yards in front of a green. I chipped to 6 foot & he dropped it, brilliant feeling to make a recovery like that. We played the last 4 in 2 over for a total of 6 over gross and a 68.6 nett, good enough for 3rd place. We would have needed 2 shots better to win but being honest I don't think we could have bettered our score. Delighted to get in the prizes though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

33 points on Sunday. Could have been so much better but for a couple of fluffed chips. This has prompted me to develop a chip and run shot instead of going for the 54* degree wedge every single time im off the green and not able to putt it. practice is under way and already going well ;)

Highlight of my round on Sunday though was playing the 16th hole, a tough long par 4 in Athlone. Creamed a driver to leave me with a 4 iron to the green, which I hit into 8 feet and drained the putt for a birdie. That's the kind of thing that brings you back out for the next day ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Rikand wrote: »
    33 points on Sunday. Could have been so much better but for a couple of fluffed chips. This has prompted me to develop a chip and run shot instead of going for the 54* degree wedge every single time im off the green and not able to putt it. practice is under way and already going well ;)

Highlight of my round on Sunday though was playing the 16th hole, a tough long par 4 in Athlone. Creamed a driver to leave me with a 4 iron to the green, which I hit into 8 feet and drained the putt for a birdie. That's the kind of thing that brings you back out for the next day ;)

Excellent birdie, you also forgot to mention that its Index 1 as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

33pts in Waterford castle today had 32pts walking off the 16th tough par3 & had a double bogey on 17th & lost a ball off the tee on 18th triple bogey. Game is seriously doing my head in. Pulls pushes hooks slices duff chips weak putts my game has everything that's bad haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

31 points off 14 in Fota yesterday. Solid back 9 but 3 scratches on the front. Don't mind the one I had on the 9th, simply couldn't find the ball under the foliage. But the two balls into the lake on the 3rd with identical mess-up-couldn't-call-them-swings were just brain fart stuff. And a triple bogey on the 8th from 40 yards off the green in 2. One little dink too short, another even littler dink too long and then a nice 3 putt to round it off.
    I'd actually be half decent only for those one or two complete brain farts I have in every round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

39 points earlier today at Grange Castle.

17 out with 1 scratch on my nemesis hole the 4th
    22 in with a few points left out there.

End of Season form is very encouraging given the poor year overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Very enjoyable day , if very hard, in wind out in Corballis today.

I almost had a great round, was good - but 1 bad hole and had 34 points.
    I was also very unlucky ending in a deep divot - little or no shot from a great position.

Putting from long range good - missed a few mid range, but very happy with my round.

Sign of wind was the first was a 7 iron normally a PW.

On 12 I had a 325 yard drive , wind again.

Good signs there, but going to be hard to get cuts off 5. But seen a chance today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

21pts
    Played the same round as fix. Can't really take anything from it, neck/upper back was in a bad way.

Really just posting to say it was 323yds, get tired of these guys pretending they can hit it further than they really can :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭_DMac_

24 pts, 7 scratches. Driving is kiling me. I fixed my irons and now I have a massive slice with the driver which is costing me about half the holes I produce the driver on. Putting was good today one 1 3 putt and short game was pretty good. Approach lines were all fairly straight at flag but was leaving a few short with the lob wedge. Overall a very frustrating round but at least the putter is working well

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭bobster453

kieran. wrote: »
    I believe a poor card is similar to an NR and wouldnt really effect the CCS on the other hand a good card which is NR'd would have had an effect on the CCS.

Not too sure about that one, poor cards can reduce the CSS by 1 or more points or strokes afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 17,683 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

39 points off the yellows on the ryder cup course in the K club today. First time playing it, very nice! 16 on the front and 23 on the back. Played pretty well once I sobered up. Putting was very poor, plenty of three putts. Missed an Eagle from 10 feet on the 18th, missed the birdie from 4 feet and settled for par, summed up the round. Will be a great venue for the Irish open.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

81 strokes for 36pts today. Really happy with that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Not wanting to highjack Fixed's thread this belongs here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97440362&postcount=44

76 yesterday for 36pts. I could almost copy/paste my stats for the previous 3 rounds.

FIR 38%
    GIR 67%
    Putts 34

Seriously, how does anyone shoot 76 with 3 x 3 putts (one of those 3 putt was for par!)? I'm hitting my irons like a scratch marker and putting like a 28 marker. Getting very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Senecio wrote: »

76 yesterday for 36pts. I could almost copy/paste my stats for the previous 3 rounds.

FIR 38%
    GIR 67%
    Putts 34

Seriously, how does anyone shoot 76 with 3 x 3 putts (one of those 3 putt was for par!)? I'm hitting my irons like a scratch marker and putting like a 28 marker. Getting very frustrating.

Similar enough story with myself yesterday, our last 18 hole and qualifying competition of the year and with 4 x 0.1s on the trot and sitting on 6.4 I was contemplating not playing as didn't want to disgress back to 7 handicap. That would be unethical however and since I wanted a game, play I did.

33pts with stats as below:
    FIR 43%
    GIR 61%
    Putts 35
    Amazingly CSS was a low 35pts so I managed to get into the buffer and stay on 6 for the year so happy with that. However round should have been so much better, started off with two decent birdie chances on holes 1 & 2 and three putted both for bogies. Generally striking the irons quite nicely and had birdie chances on all the par 3s along with a few others and never even threathened the hole. Also unlucky to loose a ball in leaves on the 14th after a slightly errant 2nd shot so that was another two shots astray and the resulting red mist was in danger of totally disentegrating the round.

A lot of work to do on the short game and driver over the winter months. Will be getting a lesson in the coming weeks so going to focus most of it on pitching and putting.

FIR 38%
    GIR 67%
    Putts 34

Have to say that is seriously consistent solid golf.

Great play - you should be very happy with that - but I am and have been in the same boat of frustration, to play great golf but walk away with a 77/78. (no pictures and all that :()

Sounds like you will have a lower one soon - around par if you get putting down to 31.

You do very well hitting green from off fairways - maybe you are further away from hole than looking at the pure stats.

Just to put it out there - maybe if you hit more fairways , your putting stats would drop ?

Sometimes we blame putting on everything - but 3 putts will come if you face 50 foot + putts a good bit.

Again - it has been covered , but basic stats have hazards in them.

Remember hearing a bit of twisted logic from Padraig (as only he could come up with) - that sometimes you would be better off missing a few greens to gain confidence in your putting :eek:
    Bascially you will get more putts and build on that. :)

So go off and miss a few greens (I'm joking there)

You do very well hitting green from off fairways - maybe you are further away from hole than looking at the pure stats.

Just to put it out there - maybe if you hit more fairways , your putting stats would drop ?
    Yes, I am very happy with where my golf is at. What is frustrating is that it could be so much better.

I've quoted the part above as I know there is some truth in it. While I'm not missing fairways by far enough to put me out of a hole, it is leading to longer birdie putts and potential 3-putts. A 7-iron from light rough will be less accurate than an 8-iron from the fairway.

My winter regime.
    - Driving, Chipping and Putting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

33 pts in final qualifying comp of the year. 15 on the front 9 with a scratch and 18 on the back 9 with 2 scratches. 39 putts tho!

GIR was very low, playing partner who was a visitor playing with his father who is a member made an interesting observation that the course didn't always reward good shots. Hitting the fairly could still mean an uphill or downhill lie which made it more difficult to hit greens from

Going to concentrate on improving putting over the winter but have committed to a series of lessons to get a full health check on all aspects of the game to try and get to single figures. Finished up on 13.8 but next year is going to be sub 9.5!!!!

Very enjoyable day , if very hard, in wind out in Corballis today.

I almost had a great round, was good - but 1 bad hole and had 34 points.
    I was also very unlucky ending in a deep divot - little or no shot from a great position.

Putting from long range good - missed a few mid range, but very happy with my round.

Sign of wind was the first was a 7 iron normally a PW.

On 12 I had a 325 yard drive , wind again.

Good signs there, but going to be hard to get cuts off 5. But seen a chance today.

Knew it was hard , but not that hard - lost Cat 1 on countback.

A little dissapointed as was a great chance - the tough conditions suited me.

So , if on for a 35/36 in wind, keep your head, you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭lester76

32pts in wet & windy conditions at tramore had a +4 for 21pts front 9 followed by a complete collapse on the bck9 bogey 10th blank 11th,12th bogey 13th blank 14th bogey 15th blank 16th par 17th 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭bobster453

33pts off 15 in Callan.Wet and windy.2 scratches and 2 one pointers giving 31 pts over 14 holes.Taking a while to change to winter chipping costing points.Heres hoping for better in the Heritage tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

39 points last Sunday in an outing to strandhill. First time playing there and it's a nice links course with a few really testing holes. Greens were superb, they must iron the greens as never seen a green with thick grass as tightly packed.
    Good enough for 3rd in our society (off 11) and 3rd (of 12) I'm the open comp.

Played another open on Wednesday on a course I know very well so was expecting good things, started off OK, out in 18 points but fell apart on the back 9, 14 points.
    Hit a brilliant iron into the 16th, flew over the pin and landed on the top shelf, downhill putt to the pin and over cooked it straight into the bunker at the front of the green, walked off with a blank after trying too hard for the birdie.

• Advertisement

FIR 38%
    GIR 67%
    Putts 34

I would never have thought that shooting 5 consecutive rounds in the 70's would become a bit monotonous.

78 today for 34pts
    FIR 46%
    GIR 56%
    Putts 34

I guess I should be happy with only 2 x 3putts today.

Advertisement