Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

P1090389_zps747e35c1.jpg?t=1408710089

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

So threats of rail strikes on the 7th and 8th. Just have other options incase you are planning to take the train and it doesn't show up.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/irish-rail-chief-to-return-early-from-holiday-in-advance-of-strike-1.1903776

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Rothmans wrote: »
    What's been your biggest cost? I've not started shopping for stuff yet!

So far:

14" Laptop - 500 euro.
    Laptop Sleeve - 12 euro.
    Judo Suit - 32 euro.
    Mouth Guard - 15 euro.
    Swimming Togs - 11 euro.
    Clothes Brush - 5 euro.
    Flip Flops - 10 euro.
    Shoe polish kit (bought local) - 25 euro.
    White socks (Dunnes) - 5 euro.

I was trying to find a cheaper laptop but when it comes to laptops I find anything for 3 or 4 hundred isn't going to cut it for very long so went with the best I could find that balanced power and price and I'm very happy with it. Good spec and not too big or heavy.

That's a grand total of around 600 euro with running shoes and the tracksuit to go.

I also only have one full suit, plenty of slacks but only one proper suit so am considering a second (albeit cheap) suit. I'll need a few more shirts too from Dunnes or Penneys.

I don't expect to have much (or any) change from a thousand euro by the time my arse is in the seat of the lecture theatre on the 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

So far:

14" Laptop - 500 euro.
    Laptop Sleeve - 12 euro.
    Judo Suit - 32 euro.
    Mouth Guard - 15 euro.
    Swimming Togs - 11 euro.
    Clothes Brush - 5 euro.
    Flip Flops - 10 euro.
    Shoe polish kit (bought local) - 25 euro.
    White socks (Dunnes) - 5 euro.

I was trying to find a cheaper laptop but when it comes to laptops I find anything for 3 or 4 hundred isn't going to cut it for very long so went with the best I could find that balanced power and price and I'm very happy with it. Good spec and not too big or heavy.

That's a grand total of around 600 euro with running shoes and the tracksuit to go.

I also only have one full suit, plenty of slacks but only one proper suit so am considering a second (albeit cheap) suit. I'll need a few more shirts too from Dunnes or Penneys.

I don't expect to have much (or any) change from a thousand euro by the time my arse is in the seat of the lecture theatre on the 15th.

Was the mouth guard on the list? I'm a bit surprised by that.

The swimming togs won't be allowed. Its traditional speedos only I'm afraid!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yea I'd heard about the speedos after the fact. They are on the way already so I'll see what the craic is. Could have been more specific maybe on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

For anyone who has been through Templemore before, would you recommend getting your own laptop or could you get by on the library computers?

Chem Lord wrote: »
    For anyone who has been through Templemore before, would you recommend getting your own laptop or could you get by on the library computers?

You'll get by just fine without one but it's easy to get distracted in the computer room. Being able to go back to your own room and work late is a lot better. Plus you'll need one for DVD's. Going to bed at half 11 gets old really quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

As said above you would get by using the computers down there. But, they are riddled with viruses, slow and if half the phase have no laptop, guess where they will all be!!

I would just buy a cheap revamped one and then you can do anything you need like mock files and that in your room with no distractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Cheers, I think I'll have a look around town over the coming weeks. Netflix is going to be my best friend past 11 o clock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Chem Lord wrote: »
    Cheers, I think I'll have a look around town over the coming weeks. Netflix is going to be my best friend past 11 o clock!

105 people on the wireless, expect lots of buffering :D

• Advertisement

Do the rooms all have WiFi now? That's a new addition.

Bloodwing wrote: »
    Do the rooms all have WiFi now? That's a new addition.

I just presumed there was, maybe not

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I just presumed there was, maybe not

You're not the first to mention it which is why I asked. Like you say, it won't be great with everyone on it anyway. The 3g signal down there was awful when I was there so I wouldn't be too optimistic about Netflix!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Would we get away with a tv in our rooms?
    My laptop has no DVD drive so if we've no Netflix, I'll be out of luck unless I bring my tv (has a DVD player built in).

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Would we get away with a tv in our rooms?
    My laptop has no DVD drive so if we've no Netflix, I'll be out of luck unless I bring my tv (has a DVD player built in).

Maybe download tv series' and films at the weekends when you're home?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Yeah it's says in our pack the college has WiFi, if it is crap I got a great deal with 3 for unlimited data, the 3g coverage went I was at the physical was great and no problems with them otherwise either

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Do we buy the swimming speedos up above in the college in the shop does anyone know or arrive up with them? Has anyone any info on whether family members come up the first day anymore or not. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

I have stuck to the list as stated in the induction pack and I bought navy swimming shorts as specified. The list does not mention speedos anywhere so I would be very annoyed if they later informed us that speedos were indeed required. I spent 30euro on swimwear as described on list and i would certainly expect a refund on the shorts if I were tp be told they are unacceptable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

I have stuck to the list as stated in the induction pack and I bought navy swimming shorts as specified. The list does not mention speedos anywhere so I would be very annoyed if they later informed us that speedos were indeed required. I spent 30euro on swimwear as described on list and i would certainly expect a refund on the shorts if I were tp be told they are unacceptable.

You won't get a refund and you will find a jobsworth attitude works against you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

I thought they were moving the Gardai training out of Templemore ?

• Advertisement

I thought they were moving the Gardai training out of Templemore ?

Not that I heard of. I don't think that was ever the plan. Sure where would the put them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

you're in for a shock ill tell you that. And I dare you to argue it with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AaronMul1

All im hearing from the station is speedos. So a pair of navy speedo shorts should suffice....hopefully. Lads if there is anyone that is badly stuck to get down to the college with possible rail delays or whatever else, il be driving down from Sligo and would have room for one or two. Not going out of my way and wont be making a habit of it but i might as well offer for the first week

AaronMul1 wrote: »
    All im hearing from the station is speedos. So a pair of navy speedo shorts should suffice....hopefully. Lads if there is anyone that is badly stuck to get down to the college with possible rail delays or whatever else, il be driving down from Sligo and would have room for one or two. Not going out of my way and wont be making a habit of it but i might as well offer for the first week

Would driving to co Clare be too much of an ask?

Would driving to co Clare be too much of an ask?

Only jokin I wouldnt ask you to do that but it is very nice that you offered people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

I look very good in speedo's so watch out lads, you haven't a hope if you stand beside me in the pool.

I look very good in speedo's so watch out lads, you haven't a hope if you stand beside me in the pool.

just for the love of god manscape!

Only jokin I wouldnt ask you to do that but it is very nice that you offered people

Ah yeah i wouldnt mind bringing lads down, going down anyways, go through roscommon town, athlone, birr etc.. so could always meet people along the way :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Templemore is looking forward to the recruits return. It suffered badly when the college closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭kjbsrah1

EveAlex wrote: »
    Maybe he would do a deal for bulk price for garda trainees?, I know plenty of dublin based folk heading down

There is a college shop on campus that will sell all you need - including the judo suit, trainers, etc... AGS is HUGE into conformity so to be honest i'd not really buy anything before you arrive down there. There will be absolutely no allowance made for anyone looking different or wearing any thing different to everyone else. You will be treated like 12 year olds and until you actually experience it in Templemore this won't mean anything to you;)

Advertisement