Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Atlantic - launching February 1st

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

One of my big hopes for this channel is that with older shows, they show only one or two episodes a week. Most of the time when a satellite channel shows repeats of older shows, it has them on every day of the week and it is just too much to keep up with it and suddenly you find yourself with 20 episodes on Sky + and no space left.

Hopefully they don't do that and we can enjoy shows like The Sopranos and BSG as they were meant to be shown.

(Although completely hypocritically, Seinfeld every day would be excellent!)
    A potential schedule was released and repeats of the older shows will be shown at midnight every night. It will also be on the Sky Player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

They're starting with a bang - Boardwalk Empire debuts first night - Feb 1st. Good preview in Sunday Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mdoycar

why did I switch from Sky to UPC... its exactly the type of channel I would watch!

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

DeWitt wrote: »
    Will this be joining the free-to-air channels too?

It will be available to Sky subscribers only unless UPC do a deal.

It will not be FTA.

Sky have confirmed that Sky 1 will be incorporating Bravo's shows, including Sons of Anarchy, Leverage and Spartacus. Might not be a bad move to shut down Bravo, as now these shows will be shown in HD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a296071/sky-atlantic-lands-borgias-blue-bloods.html

Sky Atlantic has picked up two more American dramas.

The new channel announced today that it has acquired the free and basic UK rights for Blue Bloods and The Borgias.

Blue Bloods, which airs on CBS in the US, stars Tom Selleck and focuses on a family of police officers.

Meanwhile, The Borgias follows the powerful family of that name who lived in Renaissance Italy. The series, which will be broadcast on Showtime in the States, stars Jeremy Irons and was created by The Crying Game's Neil Jordan.

Sky Entertainment's controller of acquisitions Sarah Wright said: "Sky Atlantic will celebrate storytelling and offers iconic, attention-grabbing series that pack a punch. Blue Bloods and The Borgias strengthen an already tantalising slate of programming on Sky Atlantic and across Sky's entertainment channels, and we're thrilled to have concluded this deal with CBS, cementing our promise to deliver the best content to our customers."

Sky Atlantic and Sky Atlantic HD will launch on February 1. Blue Bloods will air on the channel in February, while The Borgias will be broadcast in the summer.

The Borgias sounds very interesting, can't complain with another Showtime show.

Bit more info on the rollout here:
    Sky has today confirmed that new channel Sky Atlantic will become available next month, offering hit US shows such as Boardwalk Empire, Treme and Blue Bloods.

On February 1, the channel will launch in standard and high definition in the UK and Ireland, available exclusively to all Sky's 10 million subscribers.

Sky Atlantic will come to position 108 on Sky's electronic programming guide, forming a new entertainment trio with Sky1 (position 106) and Sky Living (107), formerly the Living channel.

Last night, Sky secured Blue Bloods and The Borgias for Sky Atlantic in a deal with CBS Studios International. The programmes will run in addition to the channel's exclusive deal for new HBO shows and agreement with Lionsgate Television for series five of Mad Men.

Hit US cop series Blue Bloods will premiere on Sky Atlantic in February, along with the Martin Scorsese-directed epic Boardwalk Empire and Treme, a New Orleans-set drama created by The Wire's David Simon.

Sky has also secured a series of video on-demand rights as part of the HBO deal, meaning Sky Atlantic will be able to offer Red Button access throughout the year to boxsets of popular shows. For example, one month might see the entire back catalogue of Flight of the Conchords become available to watch on demand.

The Anytime VOD service will offer 30 day catch-up on all Sky Atlantic shows, along with on-demand access to HBO programmes such as The Wire, Six Feet Under and Curb Your Enthusiasm. The VOD service will also be used to run seven-day previews of upcoming Sky Atlantic programmes.

At an event today in London, Sky Atlantic director of programmes Stuart Murphy claimed that the channel will "fundamentally change the way people feel about Sky entertainment".

He said that Sky Atlantic is aimed at "increasing value for Sky subscribers", but also pulling in the pay-TV abstainers who have so far been happy to stick with Freeview or Freesat.

Murphy said that the channel will provide "cinematic, iconic television", aimed at older and more "upmarket" viewers. However, he joked that it is not designed as a competitor to BBC Four, predominantly because viewers "won't be required to have a degree or insomnia to watch it".

Sky Atlantic will also utilise the new HD bouquet swap system developed by Sky, which switches SD channels with HD in Sky+ HD households, meaning anyone clicking on Sky Atlantic at channel 108 will automatically get the HD version.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/news/a296093/sky-atlantic-to-launch-next-month.html

I'm liking the sound of the red-button access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Dman001 wrote: »

Yeah sounds amazing. I hope it is not just for HD boxes.

Also more programming news from Digitalspy
    Sky Atlantic has commissioned a new drama from Shameless creator Paul Abbott.

Hit And Miss focuses on Chloe, a transgender woman who has not yet had a sex change operation.

Chloe is working as a contract killer but her life is turned upside down when she receives a letter from her ex Wendy, who is dying from cancer, which reveals that Chloe has a son called Ryan. Chloe travels to Yorkshire to meet her 10-year-old son and soon finds out about the rest of Wendy's family.

Sky's acting head of drama Huw Kennair-Jones said: "We're delighted to have secured Paul for the first original scripted drama on Sky Atlantic HD, especially with a project as sensational as Hit And Miss. We are already in talks with a host of other well-known on- and off-screen British talent to follow Paul's lead for future projects."

The show's executive producer Nicola Shindler added: "I'm incredibly excited to be making such an original, provocative drama series. Paul's intricate idea combined with [writer] Sean [Conway's] fresh and, at times, shocking voice have created a strange and beautiful world. It's odd and funny and violent and moving, all in equal parts."

The six-part drama is expected to air on Sky Atlantic later this year.

Just read about Hit or Miss alright, doesn't sound too bad. I found this schedule of the programmes:

February:
    Broadwalk Empire
    Treme
    You don't know Jack
    How to Make it in America
    Blue Bloods
    Entourage
    Weeds
    Big Love
    The Sopranos
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Six Feet Under
    Battlestar Galactica

March
    Bored to Death

April
    Game of Thrones
    Temple Grandin
    In Treatment

June
    Mildred Pierce

July
    The Borgias
    This is Jinsy

August
    Hit and Miss
    Mad Men

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/05/sky-atlantic-2011-highlights

• Advertisement

Yeah sounds amazing. I hope it is not just for HD boxes.

That VOD service sounds like the new service that Sky are currently trialling for Sky HD customers with Sky Broadband. It is impossible to offer VOD using the current Sky red button interactive service.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    That VOD service sounds like the new service that Sky are currently trialling for Sky HD customers with Sky Broadband. It is impossible to offer VOD using the current Sky red button interactive service.
    I assume they mean Sky Anytime/Anytime+. Still handy all the same though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

any Band of Brothers, Pacific, Earth to the Moon or anything good on it though?

Eh have you read any of this thread? There is loads of good stuff on it. :)

On Sky's Twitter feed, they said Generation Kill, The Pacific and The Wire would be available on their Player. It is unknown though if you will still need the Sky Movie package to watch The Pacific.

Band of Brothers is repeated on TCM at the moment, so I assume they still have the rights to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

This channel is a good idea and a 'nice to have' if you're already a SKY customer.

Having said that ..

If you're into TV and do things like obtaining US TV content ahead of the IE/GB networks or purchasing box sets, then you're already up to date with what you want to see and the availability of this channel is unlikely, IMHO, to make you desist from continuing to use those sources.

And if you're not so much into TV and a SKY customer, you may not be that impressed to see first-run of Boardwalk Empire if you know nothing else about it, or a repeat of Season One of The Sopranos.

Me ? I'm not a SKY customer and what is to be on this channel is not of interest to me in that I have already seen those series that interest me and am still not interested in seeing those that do not (interest me).

IMHO, not a reason to switch to SKY.

• Advertisement

TarfHead wrote: »
    IMHO, not a reason to switch to SKY.

You would be surprised by how many people have heard of these shows but don't download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Anybody know what the song is on the ad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Thanks a lot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

While its an impressive lineup of shows, I'm disappointed at the severe lack of Oz in that schedule.

• Advertisement

While its an impressive lineup of shows, I'm disappointed at the severe lack of Oz in that schedule.
    It could still appear, I see Sky have now confirmed Deadwood would be on the channel too. I think a lot of the older content will be on Anytime/Sky Player.

I also took this from the Sky Atlantic Facebook page, important to note for current Sky subscribers hoping to get the channel:
    Sky Atlantic is free to Sky TV customers taking the Variety Pack. Free to other Sky TV customers until 31st August 2011. Sky TV from £19.50 a month for a year, HD Pack £10.25 a month extra. HD Pack required to receive Sky Atlantic in HD. If you're not already a Sky subscriber click here to find out how to join us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

Wish hadn't switched to UPC now, but couldn't get decent speed on broadband with smart so took the all in package. Ok I save money not having channels I didn't watch, but I have been using a saying 'you're about as innocent as Lucrezia Borgia!' now people will know what I'm talking about, except the wife ! LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Twitter account if you have any questions http://twitter.com/#!/sky_atlantic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

I wish UPC would get their act together and start actually giving Sky some real competition. If they were smart they'd try to do one over on Sky and offer HBO itself, which is already available on the continent.

Jim236 wrote: »
    I wish UPC would get their act together and start actually giving Sky some real competition. If they were smart they'd try to do one over on Sky and offer HBO itself, which is already available on the continent.

The HBO on the continent is not as good as what you would see in the USA.

As opposed to what UPC currently offer which is....nothing.

Theres nothing stopping UPC doing exactly what Sky have done and starting a new channel showing HBO content and the like. Granted they wouldn't be able to show it first, but at least they'd be giving Sky a run for their money. Instead UPC customers are left with nothing, and chances are UPC will just piggyback off of Sky (yet again) and offer Sky Atlantic as a subscription a year from now.

Theres nothing stopping UPC doing exactly what Sky have done and starting a new channel showing HBO content and the like.

Sky having the rights for the UK and Ireland might be a stumbling block.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Sky having the rights for the UK and Ireland might be a stumbling block.

They have first show rights, not rights to the shows themselves. HBO aren't that stupid. So theres nothing to stop any new UPC channel just showing it straight after Sky Atlantic.

They have first show rights, not rights to the shows themselves. HBO aren't that stupid. So theres nothing to stop any new UPC channel just showing it straight after Sky Atlantic.

They have the rights to the whole HBO catalog. Sky would not pay £150 million for just first run rights.
    The launch of Sky Atlantic follows the broadcaster's audacious £150m, five-year deal to snap up the exclusive UK TV rights to US cable channel HBO's entire archive, new HBO programming and a first-look deal on all co-productions.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/oct/01/bskyb-sky-atlantic-mad-men

Fair enough, I must've misunderstood the co-productions thing to being for all the shows. If thats the case, does that mean channels currently showing HBO shows like RTÉ, 3e, Comedy Central etc. will have to stop showing them? Surely that means less people will be watching HBO content then?

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I must've misunderstood the co-productions thing to being for all the shows. If thats the case, does that mean channels currently showing HBO shows like RTÉ, 3e, Comedy Central etc. will have to stop showing them? Surely that means less people will be watching HBO content then?

Pretty much. After current contracts run out, all HBO shows will move to Sky Atlantic AFAIK.

Surely that means less people will be watching HBO content then?

I imagine that the £150 million for five years is much more than what HBO would have gotten if their shows were being bid for individually.

According to Sky Atlantic's Twitter page, they actually do not have the rights to Seinfeld.

According to Sky Atlantic's Twitter page, they actually do not have the rights to Seinfeld.

Boo. :(

And no, I was not saying Boo-urns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Just an FYI

got this from Sky Customer Services
    Thank you for your email enquiring about the Sky Atlantic channel on your Sky account.

Having checked your account i can see that you are subscribing to Sky + box you cannot view Sky Atlantic channel in your, it should be Sky HD box.

I'd like to tell you that the Sky Atlantic channel is been launching from 01/02/2011.

I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email. You can also contact our Customer Service team on 0818 719 819, where one of our advisors will be happy to help.

So, you MUST have a HD box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Originally Posted by Sky Customer Services
    Thank you for your email enquiring about the Sky Atlantic channel on your Sky account.

Having checked your account i can see that you are subscribing to Sky + box you cannot view Sky Atlantic channel in your, it should be Sky HD box.

I'd like to tell you that the Sky Atlantic channel is been launching from 01/02/2011.

I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email. You can also contact our Customer Service team on 0818 719 819, where one of our advisors will be happy to help.

Sky Customer Services via Nigeria by the looks of it.

gatecrash wrote: »

So, you MUST have a HD box

Not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

If it is only available on Sky HD I reckon we burn down sky headquarters.

mikom wrote: »
    Sky Customer Services via Nigeria by the looks of it.

So english may not be the guys first language, he still answered my question

Not true.

You MIGHT be having a problem with the eeeeengleesh though....

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    If it is only available on Sky HD I reckon we burn down sky headquarters.

Looks like it from what the mail said...

• Advertisement

So english may not be the guys first language, he still answered my question

Incorrectly, but yes it was an answer.

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-HD-Sky-3D/Will-sky-atlantic-be-available-in-non-HD/m-p/27459

You may not need the HD subscription, but you need the HD box

You need the HD box only for the Anytime+ service (viewing box sets) or viewing Sky Atlantic HD.
    A regular Sky+ box will allow viewing of Sky Atlantic (basic).

The up-sell seems to be working I see....

A HD box is required to view a SD channel? Incorrect.

You need the HD box only for the Anytime+ service (viewing box sets) or viewing Sky Atlantic HD.
    A regular Sky+ box will allow viewing of Sky Atlantic (basic).

The up-sell seems to be working I see....

I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.

I don't have a HD telly and am not getting a HD box & tv for just one channel

I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

will this channel be freeview, as in no card?:confused:

Nope, you will need a Sky Subscription.

I really don't think you will need a HD Sub, although Sky would like to make you think that by putting HD on the end of all their channels. But you will need a HD box for the Anytime+ service, where alot of the older content will be.

Sitec wrote: »
    will this channel be freeview, as in no card?:confused:

You mean Sky's £150m, five-year deal to snap up the exclusive UK TV rights to US cable shows?
    Yeah , it'll be freeview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

That's just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Just a quick question, the new shows does anyone know if when the channel starts are they gonna start off at S01E01 or will it be where they are in the series in the states?

• Advertisement
Advertisement