Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Atlantic - launching February 1st

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16 dcw4life

This should be a top notch channel. Got very excited when I saw the ad. I heard the option of going with Showtime or HBO but think they made the right call going with HBO. Im a big fan of Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

dcw4life wrote: »
    This should be a top notch channel. Got very excited when I saw the ad. I heard the option of going with Showtime or HBO but think they made the right call going with HBO. Im a big fan of Curb Your Enthusiasm
    they did go with showtime also, thats why they have spartacus, also there in with AMC to, so finally one channel for all the great shows to watch,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

don ramo wrote: »
    they did go with showtime also, thats why they have spartacus, also there in with AMC to, so finally one channel for all the great shows to watch,

Sky1 got spartacus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

dcw4life wrote: »

It's a bit of everything. For example, Mad Men will be shown and that is AMC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Colmo52 wrote: »
    Sky1 got spartacus
    yeah but id just say sky got it, its more or less gonna be sky 1,2,3 just some fancy name added instead or 1,2,3, well sky one will stay the same its so enshrined:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭corm500

I think this may just be the greatest tv channel of all time :):):):):):)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

yeah but id just say sky got it, its more or less gonna be sky 1,2,3 just some fancy name added instead or 1,2,3, well sky one will stay the same its so enshrined:D

Its a re-jig of Sky's entertainment output.

On Sky Digital, Sky Living and Sky Atlantic will be taking over Sky 2 and Sky 3's EPG slots. Sky 2 and Sky 3 are still staying around and will move.

Sky One and Sky Two will take some of Virgin 1 and Bravo's output as well as continuing with their present shows.

Sky Living will continue its mission as the most-miss-named channel of all time (since most of its programming seems to involve murder or paranormal activity - seriously, Sky Living?!?!)

Sky Atlantic will show the American output. A mix between HBO and the Sky One of the mid-1990s.

Sky Three will continue as Sky's Freeview/Freesat (from Sky) "shop window".

Unfortunately yet no word when or if Sky Atlantic will launch on UPC or any other cable network - as yet it appears to be DTH only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 masipoto

WHAT!!!! NO TRUE BLOOD???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I think FX has the life time rights to True Blood, Season 3 begins on the 14th January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Spartacus is actually Starz but youre right, they do have Showtime as well because they have weeds. Im not intending to be pedantic here im just loving how many of the premium US channels are being corralled on Sky, its fuppin fantastic.

Also potentially idiotic question here but is it safe to assume that as a new channel even the older shows such as the Sopranos will be shown in order from episode 1?
    i told you it would be a silly question but ive never seen the Sopranos and most of the wire which has been a bit of a thorn in my tv viewing side so the idea of being able to watch from the first episode on tv has me well excited.

One last thing, does anyone know, for new shows, what the lag between the States and us will be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Sky Atlantic will be launching on the 11th of February !
    just heard..

It said 1st of February on the ad I just saw.

tvnutz wrote: »

Wikipedia says that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Some great shows on this channel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

tvnutz wrote: »

the ad on sky said the 11th..maybe they had a typo!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Narcissus

1st of Feb here http://tv.sky.com/skyatlantic

can't wait for this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭DMG_49

Looking forward to this:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Will this be joining the free-to-air channels too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Can't wait for The Sopranos.:D
    Been meaning to watch it for ages.

DeWitt wrote: »

Definately Not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

One of my big hopes for this channel is that with older shows, they show only one or two episodes a week. Most of the time when a satellite channel shows repeats of older shows, it has them on every day of the week and it is just too much to keep up with it and suddenly you find yourself with 20 episodes on Sky + and no space left.

Hopefully they don't do that and we can enjoy shows like The Sopranos and BSG as they were meant to be shown.

(Although completely hypocritically, Seinfeld every day would be excellent!)

• Advertisement

One of my big hopes for this channel is that with older shows, they show only one or two episodes a week. Most of the time when a satellite channel shows repeats of older shows, it has them on every day of the week and it is just too much to keep up with it and suddenly you find yourself with 20 episodes on Sky + and no space left.

Hopefully they don't do that and we can enjoy shows like The Sopranos and BSG as they were meant to be shown.

(Although completely hypocritically, Seinfeld every day would be excellent!)
    A potential schedule was released and repeats of the older shows will be shown at midnight every night. It will also be on the Sky Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

They're starting with a bang - Boardwalk Empire debuts first night - Feb 1st. Good preview in Sunday Times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mdoycar

why did I switch from Sky to UPC... its exactly the type of channel I would watch!

:mad:

DeWitt wrote: »

It will be available to Sky subscribers only unless UPC do a deal.

It will not be FTA.

Sky have confirmed that Sky 1 will be incorporating Bravo's shows, including Sons of Anarchy, Leverage and Spartacus. Might not be a bad move to shut down Bravo, as now these shows will be shown in HD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a296071/sky-atlantic-lands-borgias-blue-bloods.html

Sky Atlantic has picked up two more American dramas.

The new channel announced today that it has acquired the free and basic UK rights for Blue Bloods and The Borgias.

Blue Bloods, which airs on CBS in the US, stars Tom Selleck and focuses on a family of police officers.

Meanwhile, The Borgias follows the powerful family of that name who lived in Renaissance Italy. The series, which will be broadcast on Showtime in the States, stars Jeremy Irons and was created by The Crying Game's Neil Jordan.

Sky Entertainment's controller of acquisitions Sarah Wright said: "Sky Atlantic will celebrate storytelling and offers iconic, attention-grabbing series that pack a punch. Blue Bloods and The Borgias strengthen an already tantalising slate of programming on Sky Atlantic and across Sky's entertainment channels, and we're thrilled to have concluded this deal with CBS, cementing our promise to deliver the best content to our customers."

Sky Atlantic and Sky Atlantic HD will launch on February 1. Blue Bloods will air on the channel in February, while The Borgias will be broadcast in the summer.

The Borgias sounds very interesting, can't complain with another Showtime show.

Bit more info on the rollout here:
    Sky has today confirmed that new channel Sky Atlantic will become available next month, offering hit US shows such as Boardwalk Empire, Treme and Blue Bloods.

On February 1, the channel will launch in standard and high definition in the UK and Ireland, available exclusively to all Sky's 10 million subscribers.

Sky Atlantic will come to position 108 on Sky's electronic programming guide, forming a new entertainment trio with Sky1 (position 106) and Sky Living (107), formerly the Living channel.

Last night, Sky secured Blue Bloods and The Borgias for Sky Atlantic in a deal with CBS Studios International. The programmes will run in addition to the channel's exclusive deal for new HBO shows and agreement with Lionsgate Television for series five of Mad Men.

Hit US cop series Blue Bloods will premiere on Sky Atlantic in February, along with the Martin Scorsese-directed epic Boardwalk Empire and Treme, a New Orleans-set drama created by The Wire's David Simon.

Sky has also secured a series of video on-demand rights as part of the HBO deal, meaning Sky Atlantic will be able to offer Red Button access throughout the year to boxsets of popular shows. For example, one month might see the entire back catalogue of Flight of the Conchords become available to watch on demand.

The Anytime VOD service will offer 30 day catch-up on all Sky Atlantic shows, along with on-demand access to HBO programmes such as The Wire, Six Feet Under and Curb Your Enthusiasm. The VOD service will also be used to run seven-day previews of upcoming Sky Atlantic programmes.

At an event today in London, Sky Atlantic director of programmes Stuart Murphy claimed that the channel will "fundamentally change the way people feel about Sky entertainment".

He said that Sky Atlantic is aimed at "increasing value for Sky subscribers", but also pulling in the pay-TV abstainers who have so far been happy to stick with Freeview or Freesat.

Murphy said that the channel will provide "cinematic, iconic television", aimed at older and more "upmarket" viewers. However, he joked that it is not designed as a competitor to BBC Four, predominantly because viewers "won't be required to have a degree or insomnia to watch it".

Sky Atlantic will also utilise the new HD bouquet swap system developed by Sky, which switches SD channels with HD in Sky+ HD households, meaning anyone clicking on Sky Atlantic at channel 108 will automatically get the HD version.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcasting/news/a296093/sky-atlantic-to-launch-next-month.html

I'm liking the sound of the red-button access.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Dman001 wrote: »

Yeah sounds amazing. I hope it is not just for HD boxes.

Also more programming news from Digitalspy
    Sky Atlantic has commissioned a new drama from Shameless creator Paul Abbott.

Hit And Miss focuses on Chloe, a transgender woman who has not yet had a sex change operation.

Chloe is working as a contract killer but her life is turned upside down when she receives a letter from her ex Wendy, who is dying from cancer, which reveals that Chloe has a son called Ryan. Chloe travels to Yorkshire to meet her 10-year-old son and soon finds out about the rest of Wendy's family.

Sky's acting head of drama Huw Kennair-Jones said: "We're delighted to have secured Paul for the first original scripted drama on Sky Atlantic HD, especially with a project as sensational as Hit And Miss. We are already in talks with a host of other well-known on- and off-screen British talent to follow Paul's lead for future projects."

The show's executive producer Nicola Shindler added: "I'm incredibly excited to be making such an original, provocative drama series. Paul's intricate idea combined with [writer] Sean [Conway's] fresh and, at times, shocking voice have created a strange and beautiful world. It's odd and funny and violent and moving, all in equal parts."

The six-part drama is expected to air on Sky Atlantic later this year.

Just read about Hit or Miss alright, doesn't sound too bad. I found this schedule of the programmes:

February:
    Broadwalk Empire
    Treme
    You don't know Jack
    How to Make it in America
    Blue Bloods
    Entourage
    Weeds
    Big Love
    The Sopranos
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Six Feet Under
    Battlestar Galactica

March
    Bored to Death

April
    Game of Thrones
    Temple Grandin
    In Treatment

June
    Mildred Pierce

July
    The Borgias
    This is Jinsy

August
    Hit and Miss
    Mad Men

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jan/05/sky-atlantic-2011-highlights

• Advertisement

Dman001 wrote: »

Yeah sounds amazing. I hope it is not just for HD boxes.

That VOD service sounds like the new service that Sky are currently trialling for Sky HD customers with Sky Broadband. It is impossible to offer VOD using the current Sky red button interactive service.

Advertisement