Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Atlantic - launching February 1st

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

mikom wrote: »

You may not need the HD subscription, but you need the HD box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

gatecrash wrote: »

You need the HD box only for the Anytime+ service (viewing box sets) or viewing Sky Atlantic HD.
    A regular Sky+ box will allow viewing of Sky Atlantic (basic).

The up-sell seems to be working I see....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

A HD box is required to view a SD channel? Incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

mikom wrote: »
    You need the HD box only for the Anytime+ service (viewing box sets) or viewing Sky Atlantic HD.
    A regular Sky+ box will allow viewing of Sky Atlantic (basic).

The up-sell seems to be working I see....

I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.

I don't have a HD telly and am not getting a HD box & tv for just one channel

I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.

Yep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

will this channel be freeview, as in no card?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Nope, you will need a Sky Subscription.

I really don't think you will need a HD Sub, although Sky would like to make you think that by putting HD on the end of all their channels. But you will need a HD box for the Anytime+ service, where alot of the older content will be.

Sitec wrote: »
    will this channel be freeview, as in no card?:confused:

You mean Sky's £150m, five-year deal to snap up the exclusive UK TV rights to US cable shows?
    Yeah , it'll be freeview

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

That's just wrong.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Just a quick question, the new shows does anyone know if when the channel starts are they gonna start off at S01E01 or will it be where they are in the series in the states?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

ziedth wrote: »
    Just a quick question, the new shows does anyone know if when the channel starts are they gonna start off at S01E01 or will it be where they are in the series in the states?

Which show? There's not many currently airing. They'll be starting Boardwalk Empire since it's only one season in and nowhere else in the UK has shown in, Mad Men I assume they'll show it all quickly before their first exclusive season.
    It's all on the Anytime anyway.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

amacachi wrote: »
    Which show? There's not many currently airing. They'll be starting Boardwalk Empire since it's only one season in and nowhere else in the UK has shown in, Mad Men I assume they'll show it all quickly before their first exclusive season.
    It's all on the Anytime anyway.

It's Boardwalk Empire I was talking about but ya sure Mad Men too, Like remember when sky 1 started showing house they went straight the newest season (5 I think) and only did like a show that was a 10 min catch up on whats happened.

Most will be from the beginning, but not all. Like Entourage will start from Season 7, so I assume ITV still have the rights to the first six seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭casey junior

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    If it is only available on Sky HD I reckon we burn down sky headquarters.

Doesn't matter how much FF screw you, but burn Rupert!

Just to clear up the issue that it will only be available with a HD pack, this is taken from Sky's website:
    Sky Atlantic HD (Channel 108 on the EPG) is no ordinary TV channel. It features ground breaking shows and some of the greatest acting, directing and writing talent in the world. Sky Atlantic will provide an exclusive home to HBO's celebrated programming, alongside some of the most hotly anticipated shows in television, like Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, Mad Men Season 5, and Mildred Pierce - among many others. Sky Atlantic is free when you take the Variety Pack and will also be available on Sky Anytime & Anytime+. Sky Atlantic is also available in high definition. For access to Sky Atlantic HD, simply take the HD pack with your Entertainment Packs. Click the links below for more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Anyone know if Sky Atlantic plan to show It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia?

It's on FX in the US but I haven't seen it on the UK version of FX.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Anyone know if Sky Atlantic plan to show It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia?

It's on FX in the US but I haven't seen it on the UK version of FX.
    Bravo and 3e used to show it, but haven't seen it on 3e in ages, and wasn't on Bravo for months before it shut down, so it probably won't be taken up by Sky. No word on any other channel showing it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

For those getting this, don't miss Treme, best tv around at the moment.

Daytime TV on the channel will consist of The X-Files, Prison Break, 24 and Thirtysomethings. No mention of Seinfeld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

When is Breaking Bad going to be shown this side of the Atlantic?

Can't believe nobody has picked up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

kraggy wrote: »
    When is Breaking Bad going to be shown this side of the Atlantic?

Can't believe nobody has picked up on it.

FX(UK) Wednesday at 10pm. S01e03 is on this wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I just finished the whole lot this evening. Season 4 coming out in the summer on AMC.

Crackin show. Unbelievable. Keeps you glued all the time and deals with what is considered such taboo a subject in America very well.

Is that Fx Uk available in Ireland, in particular on UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Bravo was bought by sky and as part of their redevelopment of the channel they choose to shut it down, their shows will be split between the other channels owned by Sky.

Living is to become Sky Living, and Sky 2 and 3 are to be move on the Sky EPG and replaced by Sky Living and Sky Atlantic.

Sky also have a connection with FX.

Sky bought exclusive rights to HBO programming for €30million per year. Sky Atlantic is exclusive to Sky customers.

Sky also have bought rights to many other Cable Dramas as part of their redevelopment including Mad Men which airs on ACM in america AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭SK1979

Does anyone know whether you'll be able to choose to record in either SD or HD once Sky launches this new channel? From what I understand they're also launching technology that will have only one new channel so 108 will be automatically in HD (assuming the programme is of course) if you have the HD pack.

But will you be able to specify that you'd like to record in SD? Obviously, if you were recording a lot of programmes you'd fill the hard drive a lot quicker if they were all in HD?

SK1979 wrote: »
    But will you be able to specify that you'd like to record in SD? Obviously, if you were recording a lot of programmes you'd fill the hard drive a lot quicker if they were all in HD?

Never checked this out but can you reduce the picture quality on any of the PVRs? like you can on DVD recorders and back in the day with VHS (LP V SP).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

kraggy wrote: »
    I just finished the whole lot this evening. Season 4 coming out in the summer on AMC.

Crackin show. Unbelievable. Keeps you glued all the time and deals with what is considered such taboo a subject in America very well.

Is that Fx Uk available in Ireland, in particular on UPC?

UPC channel 126
    SKY channel 164

Colmo52 wrote: »
    UPC channel 126
    SKY channel 164

Note FX is part of the UPC Digital Max package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Does anyone know whether you'll be able to choose to record in either SD or HD once Sky launches this new channel? From what I understand they're also launching technology that will have only one new channel so 108 will be automatically in HD (assuming the programme is of course) if you have the HD pack.

My understanding of it is that the HD channels are swapping places with the SD channels, so it's easier to find them but the SD version will still be available. If that is the case then 108 will be HD and 188 (I think i saw that channel number somewhere) will be SD. So then you'll be able to record from ch188 in SD presumably. We'll find out for sure next week i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Stick a bigger hard drive in it surely? Why bother paying for a HD sub and then watch SD. That makes no sense to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭candy_pants

AFAIK it's supposed to be channel 108 from Feb 1st? Ch 108 is currently Sky 3 but I can't seem to find any sign of Sky Atlantic, on its shows, on the Sky planner thing or on their TV listings section online.

Any ideas?

Advertisement