Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Restaurant Recommendation Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Coqbull recent visitors, are they still blaring music in there? Myself and my buddies ended up giving up and staring at eachother in silence because we couldn't hear eachother over the sound system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Yep, it was pretty loud when I was there and the tables are so close together the conversations at either side are very easy to hear as well. You wouldn't want to try and discuss anything personal in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 HH Barbara Allen

See, I've been wanting to try the food there, but have a sneaking suspicion I could do just as well or better at home. I am not going to brave the queues unless I know it is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Brandon F

The music was very loud alright. It's a very nice looking restaurant and the staff are very welcoming and friendly. It's just a shame the food wasn't up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Brandon F wrote: »
    Went to Coqbull earlier. Knew beforehand it was a burger joint but was suprised by the lack of options. This kind of food is usually right up my street but was left very disappointed. The starter of ribs and two different kind of wings were bland, but were eaten quickly enough after the wait. The burger I ordered was one of the worst I've had, would have prefered a burger king one. It was dripping in grease and just meh. I shared a dessert of the cookies and ice cream, again very average. Would not recommend!

That's disappointing to read; I have to say I really enjoyed mine. Someone else mentioned the music being too loud and that is one thing alright - we were seated in a booth right next to the sound system so it was a bit loud but once the place filled up it just became background noise, instead all you could hear was people chattering!

I hope when I go back next time that it's still as nice; I hate when places aren't consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

pwurple wrote: »
    Coqbull recent visitors, are they still blaring music in there? Myself and my buddies ended up giving up and staring at eachother in silence because we couldn't hear eachother over the sound system.

It's a bit mental alright, I'm the exact same.
    At the moment we base our choice of pubs on how loud the music is, having to do the same for a restaurant is silly, I hope it's not some new trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Went to Wild West Wings Saturday for a second time and it was left down. Food was ok to decent but the "vibe" of the place is just off.

No blaring music here, just silence upstairs and The Big Red Bench downstairs. No restaurant should have a radio playing, much less talk radio. Service was a little too quick as well.

It is also very expensive for average food. I wont be rushing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

gimmick wrote: »
    Went to Wild West Wings Saturday for a second time and it was left down. Food was ok to decent but the "vibe" of the place is just off.

No blaring music here, just silence upstairs and The Big Red Bench downstairs. No restaurant should have a radio playing, much less talk radio. Service was a little too quick as well.

It is also very expensive for average food. I wont be rushing back.

I had the same experience. We were seated upstairs and there was no atmosphere, just an awkward silence as we tried to chat without other customers being able to hear every word, it was that quiet.

I would also expect to be sitting on proper chairs and not benches for the price of the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

bee06 wrote: »
    Yep, it was pretty loud when I was there and the tables are so close together the conversations at either side are very easy to hear as well. You wouldn't want to try and discuss anything personal in there.

This is something I've been very much aware of on my last two restaurant visits in Cork - firstly in Market Lane and secondly in The Strasbourg Goose.

On both occasions I'd a great time and the food was lovely, but, while I understand restaurants need to make money and get customers sitting at tables - I was too close to other occupied tables to be comfortable speaking freely which was somewhat annoying. The conversation didn't flow that naturally after as I was aware of what I was saying, and how loudly I was speaking.

Any spacious restaurants in Cork? I thought Nash19 was quite a good layout when I was there last

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is that not the style of the restaurant ? Some places spread you out -( and charge accordingly ) some pack you in -
    Ate in a bistro in Paris that was shoulder to shoulder - because of the hub-bub we had total privacy -

Edit - max's in kinsale - really good - very spacious

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is that not the style of the restaurant ? Some places spread you out -( and charge accordingly ) some pack you in -
    Ate in a bistro in Paris that was shoulder to shoulder - because of the hub-bub we had total privacy -

Edit - max's in kinsale - really good - very spacious
    True - well especially The Strasbourg Goose, that said, it wasn't particularly busy that night and we were put sitting with two or three tables around us, when there were others free - perhaps I should have asked for a specific table. The market lane somebody was pretty much on my shoulder, very little spaces between tables I thought.

Coqbull on the other hand, went there for lunch and thought it was grand, our table was to the left against the wall and thought we'd loads of space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Eco is the worst for jamming them in, I was practically sitting on the next table's lap when I ate there.

Not exactly a restaurant (although they do great pizzas) but somewhere I noticed had great space recently is Rising Sons. We were at a couch/table in the corner and felt absolute miles from anyone else (in a good way).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,972 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Eco is the worst for jamming them in, I was practically sitting on the next table's lap when I ate there.

Not exactly a restaurant (although they do great pizzas) but somewhere I noticed had great space recently is Rising Sons. We were at a couch/table in the corner and felt absolute miles from anyone else (in a good way).

You just beat me to it. Eco is absolutely horrible space wise, its the chair behind you clung up against yours is the worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

Anyone else tried White Rabbit BBQ on MacCurtain street? Popped in the other day and enjoyed it, menu is simple, pick your meat and have it with sides or in a sandwich. Opted for the Beef Brisket, Potato Salad and Red Slaw, for a 10er I left more than well fed. Staff were really friendly too. Great to see the place being used again, was a shame when Bourbon Street closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I haven't tried the food, but I've been in there during the day for a drink on my own a few times. The staff are lovely, the wine is reasonable at €5.50 and actually quite decent (the Rioja) if not amazing. The food smells amazing and it looks like people are getting decent portions. A friend had the coffee and said it was one of the nicest she's had. It's a really nice addiction to the street and a different vibe to the typical pubs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

Apt8 wrote: »
    Anyone else tried White Rabbit BBQ on MacCurtain street? Popped in the other day and enjoyed it, menu is simple, pick your meat and have it with sides or in a sandwich. Opted for the Beef Brisket, Potato Salad and Red Slaw, for a 10er I left more than well fed. Staff were really friendly too. Great to see the place being used again, was a shame when Bourbon Street closed down.

wow didn't know it existed - love the new additions to the city - especially that part of town - good to see variety - i wonder if the meat is quality? seems v reasonable - how they could serve good meat at those prices?

I'd imagine because a lot of their meat is slow cooked they can go for cheaper, tougher cuts that have any toughness cooked out of them while not sacrificing on quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I'd imagine because a lot of their meat is slow cooked they can go for cheaper, tougher cuts that have any toughness cooked out of them while not sacrificing on quality.
    That's what you'd hope anyhow - brisket - pork shoulder- ribs are all inexpensive cuts -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Lyaiera wrote: »

but whole chickens?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

sporina wrote: »
    but whole chickens?

You can get free range chickens in Aldi for about €5 or €6 for 1.4kg or thereabouts. Cheaper again to buy them from wholesalers, and a portion is a half chicken (it also states 1/2lb of meat, so might not even be a full half). That'd probably only cost them €2-ish to buy in per half chicken, another euro or two for sides. Still a healthy profit margin, by my (very inexpert) calculations.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    You can get free range chickens in Aldi for about €5 or €6 for 1.4kg or thereabouts. Cheaper again to buy them from wholesalers, and a portion is a half chicken (it also states 1/2lb of meat, so might not even be a full half). That'd probably only cost them €2-ish to buy in per half chicken, another euro or two for sides. Still a healthy profit margin, by my (very inexpert) calculations.

will give it a go for sure some sunny eve..

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭nerwen

I gave it a go today for lunch and it was quite nice.

Went for the plate variety as well; I got beef brisket, corn on the cob and red slaw, my friend got bbq ham, bbq beans and corn on the cob. Sadly they were out of green beans. The sides were nice and the meat was awesome, decent sized portion of good quality meat with a killer bbq sauce. Good value for a tenner for sure.

I like it, will definitely go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

Yeah when I went they were out of the BBQ beans, it seems everything is made for the day so when it's gone it's gone.
    Agree about their BBQ sauce, the guy said it's made with Mi Daza, I couldn't get enough of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I was just going to say isn't Mi Daza a saying. but I see tis a stout.. I think this white rabbit place wasn't reall. We shall have to pay a trip in there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Very disappointing meal in Blackrock Castle Cafe today. Poor service, average food. Wouldn't be pushed to go back at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Very disappointing meal in Blackrock Castle Cafe today. Poor service, average food. Wouldn't be pushed to go back at all.

was only thinking of going there this weekend... that's a pity :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

northgirl wrote: »
    was only thinking of going there this weekend... that's a pity :(

I was there this eve and loved it! I had cod and mussels as main - it really was tasty.
    Try it - maybe the daytime is different to the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Meursault

Was thinking of going to the Sultan lebenese restaurant tonight. Is it busy on a Saturday? Heard the food was good but don't want to go there is there is no atmosphere

I went to White Rabbit last night. It was lovely. I had the beef brisket, bbq beans and potato salad. The beef brisket wasn't as hot as it could be, but it was delicious. I had a debate with a friend about the potato salad, she loved hers, I only began to love mine as it went on. At the start the potato was very smooth, but as I went into there were more and more chunks of spud, and it was really nice. I did have to add a bit of salt and pepper though, which I suppose is a good thing as it leaves the seasoning up to the customer. The bbq beans were delicious, I'll definitely go for them again. I tried all the meats on the menu apart from the chicken, they were all really nice. I think I chose well with my brisket, but the ham was lovely too (despite having to annoy a friend to get a taste.)

Overall, it's excellent value. There seems to be still one or two very minor teething problems, and I didn't get a chance to mention the temperature of the brisket as the two times they came down I was stuffing my face. I didn't have a dessert but the people who did gave the brownie, and especially the cream a glowing review. I'll be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

To be fair, BBQ food wouldn't typically be served very hot. A lot of customers like food to be piping hot, when it doesn't need to be.

Love the sound of this spot - must try it when I'm back home next

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement