Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

mr bungle. wrote: »
    lala88. is the only one here that needs to move on.he is a **** stirrer of the highest order

Was asked to list out incidents with Cork player and thats what i did. I asked for the same to be done but surprise surprise there was none.

Also no surprise that Teddy McCarty was a ''hero'' to Cork people till they didn't like what he had to say and now hes not. Seems to be a bit of a theme when it comes to Cork people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Without trying to back seat mod - would ye just fúckin drop it and move on - that's directed at both sides of the party too fwiw

We get it, there's rivalry between Cork and Kerry and always good banter to be had, but this píssing contest regarding who's the bigger evil is shocking and derailing the thread imo

The last two pages are amongst the worst I've read on boards....not just the GAA forum either mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Is it alright to put my head above the parapet.... Or will I get accused of war crimes again?

Is it alright to put my head above the parapet.... Or will I get accused of war crimes again?
    Don't mention the war! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

2 Cork teams in action this weekend in the Munster championship with Castlehaven playing Dr Crokes in the Senior football final and Rockchapel playing Kenmare in the Junior football semi final.

Castlehaven will go in as underdogs against a fancied Crokes team but this Haven team I'm sure will give it their all to win a Munster title but they face a hard task against a very good Crokes team.

I have a big interest in the Rockchapel v Kenmare game with the Rock been from my local division. The Rock are a tough and tenacious team and won't go down lightly. I don't know much about the opposition other than a few North Kerry workmates having different views on them and they having a 23 point win last Sunday against Waterford opposition scoring an impressive 1-23 on a brutal wet windy day. Cork teams have a poor record in this competition so hopefully the Rock can improve that on Sunday behind in Fitzgearld Stadium.

• Advertisement

Treble20 wrote: »
    2 Cork teams in action this weekend in the Munster championship with Castlehaven playing Dr Crokes in the Senior football final and Rockchapel playing Kenmare in the Junior football semi final.

Castlehaven will go in as underdogs against a fancied Crokes team but this Haven team I'm sure will give it their all to win a Munster title but they face a hard task against a very good Crokes team.

I have a big interest in the Rockchapel v Kenmare game with the Rock been from my local division. The Rock are a tough and tenacious team and won't go down lightly. I don't know much about the opposition other than a few North Kerry workmates having different views on them and they having a 23 point win last Sunday against Waterford opposition scoring an impressive 1-23 on a brutal wet windy day. Cork teams have a poor record in this competition so hopefully the Rock can improve that on Sunday behind in Fitzgearld Stadium.

This is one game that i will go to in hope rather than expectation. For us to have any chance, Crokes will have to have a very off day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Crokes giving Haven a lesson in how to play football at the moment. Why they didn't just come out and play football I'll never know. Far too interested in the tough side of things. They could have played a lot better. Not surprisingly they had a man sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Crokes giving Haven a lesson in how to play football at the moment. Why they didn't just come out and play football I'll never know. Far too interested in the tough side of things. They could have played a lot better. Not surprisingly they had a man sent off.

The Haven were simply not good enough to be fair. They are a way off the level required. They were very lucky to beat Duhallow in the Cork senor club championship.

Amprodude wrote: »
    The Haven were simply not good enough to be fair. They are a way off the level required. They were very lucky to beat Duhallow in the Cork senor club championship.
    Crokes really are a great team though, they play good attacking football and seem able to go through the gears when they need to with ease.

Didn't see the game unfortunately, who played well for both sides?

D'Agger wrote: »
    Crokes really are a great team though, they play good attacking football and seem able to go through the gears when they need to with ease.

Brian Looney got man of the match for Crokes. Hes playing great football for the Crokes this year along with Colm Cooper. He should be playing some part with the Kerry seniors next year. He deserves a shot going on this form.

• Advertisement

Brian Looney got man of the match for Crokes. Hes playing great football for the Crokes this year along with Colm Cooper. He should be playing some part with the Kerry seniors next year. He deserves a shot going on this form.
    There's been mention of it alright from what I've been told - still if a player's in form he should definitely been looked at and he certainly seems to be.

How about for Haven - anybody standout for them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,322 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Just watched the Crossmaglen game. 2-05 v 0-01 up after 20 mins. 15 into the second half 2-07 v 1-06 when Cross had a man sent off. They won 3-10 v 1-09, they are the real deal. Hard to see beyond them. Crokes will give them a game but I doubt would beat them.
    I shudder to think what they would have done to the Haven or any other Cork club team. I grew up with Nemo winning Munster on a regular basis and challenging for the All Ireland. It seems like ages since we've had Cork teams like that represent us outside of the county championship.

Just watched the Crossmaglen game. 2-05 v 0-01 up after 20 mins. 15 into the second half 2-07 v 1-06 when Cross had a man sent off. They won 3-10 v 1-09, they are the real deal. Hard to see beyond them. Crokes will give them a game but I doubt would beat them.
    I shudder to think what they would have done to the Haven or any other Cork club team. I grew up with Nemo winning Munster on a regular basis and challenging for the All Ireland. It seems like ages since we've had Cork teams like that represent us outside of the county championship.
    True was thinking this the last day about Nemo.

I haven't heard of them being the force they once were for a while now - is there any reason behind their decline - if that's what you'd call it.

They used to churn out good footballers from an assembly line going back a few years.

True was thinking this the last day about Nemo.

I haven't heard of them being the force they once were for a while now - is there any reason behind their decline - if that's what you'd call it.

They used to churn out good footballers from an assembly line going back a few years.

Nemo are actually quite a small club, given their success you'd think they were a huge club. They had a super underage structure and that was the basis for their success at senior level. A great group of footballers all came through at once.
    The rise to prominence of Douglas - in both hurling and football - probably has had some influence on Nemo as they are located literally around the corner. They will always produce good footballers, but producing them at the same time is hard to do.
    I love the 'family' element of Nemo - they are really in it together at every grade of the game. The ex senior stars are to be seen training the youngsters in both codes and this will see them come good again at some stage I reckon.

How did Rockchapel get on today against Kenmare? Didnt get the result.

How did Rockchapel get on today against Kenmare? Didnt get the result.

They lost 2-15 v 1-08

They lost 2-15 v 1-08

Cork teams lost all grades to Kerry teams. I was hopeful Rockchapel would do the business today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Three Cork teams beaten in Munster. Well beaten bar Vincents and if Finuge had their two best players im sure the winning margin would have been similar to todays. No surprises really. Rockchapel were never going to test Kenmare. Think they will go all the way now. Same with Crokes and Finuge. Will have a good crack of their respective All Irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

So as expected, castlehavens "style" was not allowed by a non-cork therefore neutral referee. still theres a few county championship there for them as long as their "style" is allowed to flourish by the local refs.

Deco99 wrote: »
    So as expected, castlehavens "style" was not allowed by a non-cork therefore neutral referee. still theres a few county championship there for them as long as their "style" is allowed to flourish by the local refs.

Im not so sure. While getting to a final last year and winning one this year suggests they could win plenty more I think they are very average county champions. Well done to them but they are a handy side but have nothing bar Cahalane and Collins. If Nemo get their act together next year they will beat them while there is a few other sides who could take them. Well done on a good year though.

• Advertisement

Brian Looney and Kieran O'Leary were very good. Gooch was effective. Johnny Buckley was very good but Haven were poor at midfield. Young Cahalane was the only one decent for the Haven.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EpicPothole

Deco99 wrote: »

Obviously your no fan of Castlehaven, but am i right in saying that football is gone soft, if you have an issue with Castlehavens, as you call it "style". They'd be at home up with us in Ulster. I'd be happy enough if they had more football in them but they had to play with the players they have. They were beaten by a good fooballing side yesterday. There probably isn't that type of team in cork to beat them.

Yeah, we were beaten by a a footballing team that had a good few years of experience. I can't wish Dr. C's luck, its not in me as a Corkman.
    4 of the starting haven team are over 30 (one being the goalkeeper), 9 are 23 or under. So, the future may be bright if they can bring a bit more of Crokes style into their game over the next few year. I think the style of play this year was dictated more by the fear of loosing again rather than trying to win (which cost them last year).
    Deco99, the reason Castlehaven won the county this year with their style has nothing to do with the ref. Its the fact that there is no team in cork with the footballing skill of Dr. crokes to overcome it.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Obviously your no fan of Castlehaven, but am i right in saying that football is gone soft, if you have an issue with Castlehavens, as you call it "style". They'd be at home up with us in Ulster. I'd be happy enough if they had more football in them but they had to play with the players they have. They were beaten by a good fooballing side yesterday. There probably isn't that type of team in cork to beat them.

The issue is not with football going "soft" but Castlehaven's cowardly dirty play.

They werent able to match Crokes for skill and ability and resorted to dirty dangerous cowardly play to try to negate Crokes greater ability. If you think that equates with football going "soft" they you have a very warped notion of what football is all about.

Its no embarrassment to get beaten by a better team, but it is an embarrassment to go out and hit hard, late and dirty out of petulance and cowardice when you are getting beaten by a better side.

Crokes gave a great performance yesterday playing intelligent skillful quick delightful football that was a joy to watch.

If you want to see lads mindlessly flaking the ****e out of one of another watch MMA. If lads are interested in looking "hard" let them get involved with that as opposed to cowardly hitting players high and late.

Nope, not a fan, only seen them play twice and once their shenanigans was let go and they won, the other time it got pulled up straight away and they lost. I've no problem with hard physical games, i cant stand however, pulling, dragging, late tackles, obstruction, mentors running onto field and getting involved, intimidating umpires and linesmen and all the other crap that goes on by teams that "do what they have to". Although, to be fair, its a disgrace you cant drag a fella to ground by the neck anymore, part of the game back when it was manly.

Did anyone notice the time in the second half when the gooch had the ball and handpassed it off but instead of running on for the return he stood still, the two haven boys that went to him didnt know what to do as neither of them followed the ball or even looked where it went but the gooch didnt try to run anywhere so they couldnt obstruct him, funny how foolish it looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EpicPothole

Jeez lads, ye are getting very emotional. The late hitting and dragging I understand and accept, its part of football in todays game. They were being beaten and paniced and were trying to so anything to slow Crokes down.
    Cowardly is a stupid word to use for any team, not least any team that gets to a club provincial final. I'd say if ye were at the crossmaglen v kilcoo game, ye may actually have died with yer blood boiling.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Yeah, we were beaten by a a footballing team that had a good few years of experience. I can't wish Dr. C's luck, its not in me as a Corkman.
    4 of the starting haven team are over 30 (one being the goalkeeper), 9 are 23 or under. So, the future may be bright if they can bring a bit more of Crokes style into their game over the next few year. I think the style of play this year was dictated more by the fear of loosing again rather than trying to win (which cost them last year).
    Deco99, the reason Castlehaven won the county this year with their style has nothing to do with the ref. Its the fact that there is no team in cork with the footballing skill of Dr. crokes to overcome it.

Plus the fact you had Mark and Alan Cahalane commuting from London every weekend, that is very tiring, I know since I've been doing it myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Treble20

Disappointment for Rockchapel yesterday who were completely outclassed by Kenmare in the Munster Junior semi final. The Rock will be disappointed with the manner of their defeat yesterday however they've still had a great year winning the county championship and league as well as the same in their division.

However yesterday's result has to raise questions as to the standard of Junior football in the County. A Cork club hasn't won a Munster junior title since 2007. While Kanturk IMO should have won the Munster title last year for the other years it's fair to say Cork clubs have been comprehensively beaten by Kerry opposition each year.

Since the Introduction of 2 Intermediate grades in Cork I reckon the standard of Junior has dropped. While it's easy to argue that the board should restructure the championships and bring back only 1 Intermediate grade I reckon clubs would oppose that move now. Maybe introducing Junior teams into an all county league with Intermediate and senior teams would help the Junior teams become more competitive? There's no doubting Kerry teams are the cream of the crop in Munster but Cork teams should not be getting hammerings in this grade like what happened yesterday.

Jeez lads, ye are getting very emotional. The late hitting and dragging I understand and accept, its part of football in todays game. They were being beaten and paniced and were trying to so anything to slow Crokes down.

Sigh! Sure no wonder, the game is like this. There are other sports that accomadate this you know. And FYI, as per the rulebook set out for Gaelic Football, it is not part of todays game or yesterdays game. Nothing manly about off the ball niggling or sneaky belts. Was listening to Today FM's coverage of the foreign game on saturday, and when a penalty was given for shirt pulling the Co-commentator was delighted and wanted to see more penalties given for it so as to stop what has become a part of the game which a blind eye is turned to. We have the same thing in our own sport.

• Advertisement

If the game of GAA Football was played according to the rule book, it would be a vastly different spectacle (not "all" for the better).
    The problem seems to be with the reffing, and what each individual ref is going to allow go and what he won't. And that has nothing to do within the county of cork, but nationwide.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement