Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap Defenders - 3 for 13.5-14M

• 05-08-2014 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,338 ✭✭✭✭

We can't forget about the cheapies at the back.

Not sure how to do this, not sure if a poll is the best option.... And the fact that I'm on the phone and don't know how to start a poll has factored into it :)

So, assuming most have at least 2 defenders that got in before the money ran out....
    What trio would you could if you had 13.5M?
    ...I'll let you have another 0.5M if you want, because you're good ;)

Normally I should start this off with my selections but I'm not sitting on the fence, I just haven't a clue yet :(
    Hoping to nail it down in the next week or so.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,554 ✭✭✭✭CSF

PARlance wrote: »
    We can't forget about the cheapies at the back.

Not sure how to do this, not sure if a poll is the best option.... And the fact that I'm on the phone and don't know how to start a poll has factored into it :)

So, assuming most have at least 2 defenders that got in before the money ran out....
    What trio would you could if you had 13.5M?
    ...I'll let you have another 0.5M if you want, because you're good ;)

Normally I should start this off with my selections but I'm not sitting on the fence, I just haven't a clue yet :(
    Hoping to nail it down in the next week or so.

Over the course of the season, Ward, Pieters, Upson.

Trippier has claims too. Coloccini and Van Aanholt if you'd rather not go with a 4.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Bit difficult without a poll... Why is it restricted to £13.5/£14m? Not sure how to answer it tbh, I have Terry and Debuchy, then Huth + Cameron + Dummett. Are you trying to find out what defenders to use after the 'big two' that most will have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

roryc wrote: »
    Bit difficult without a poll... Why is it restricted to £13.5/£14m? Not sure how to answer it tbh, I have Terry and Debuchy, then Huth + Cameron + Dummett. Are you trying to find out what defenders to use after the 'big two' that most will have?

dummett is an interesting one.....he is 4m isn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,338 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yip, that's the jist.
    I know everyone has different ways with selecting their defence but the most common scenario I see is that 2 expensive ones are selected and then there's a limited budget leaving 3 relatively cheap defenders to be picked.

I put a range of 13.5-14M for 3 picks as I think that's about the average budget.
    The problem with a poll as I would see it is
    1. There are way too many choices of 4-5M defenders to list
    2. It may be headed by all the 5M defenders (and if you've spent big on 2 already, the other 3 will probably be less than 5 a piece)
    And the advantage of not having a poll
    1. People discuss possible rotation of cheap defenders as they have to pick three (More insightful imo).

km79 wrote: »
    dummett is an interesting one.....he is 4m isn't he?

Yep, I have a mate who used to play for Newcastle and he generally has a good insight on their players. He seems to think Dummett could nail down a spot this season. Its not much help though, as I will likely use my WC early so I need starters for GW1! None of my bench are nailed on to start (Dummett, Cameron, Albrighton). I'll look closely at predicted line-ups and friendlies before making a decision on these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Yep, I have a mate who used to play for Newcastle and he generally has a good insight on their players. He seems to think Dummett could nail down a spot this season. Its not much help though, as I will likely use my WC early so I need starters for GW1! None of my bench are nailed on to start (Dummett, Cameron, Albrighton). I'll look closely at predicted line-ups and friendlies before making a decision on these.

I have Colloccini atm, he is 4.5, wouldn't mind replacing him with Dummet if he starts. I will keep an eye on him, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Ward looks a good option imo at 5.0. He was one of the top scorers last season despite Palace being awful under Holloway for the start of the season. He should also score higher for dribbling i think he is a great option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A Stoke/Swansea combination costs a minimum of £9.5m and gives one perfect rotation all season, including exceptional home fixtures for the first third of the season.

I'm going with Robert Huth (a goalscoring threat from set pieces in a side quite solid at home) and Neil Taylor (should be first choice LB for Swansea pending further transfer business).

Add another £4.0m (if a starter can be found among them) or £4.5m defender who compliments the aforementioned nicely in terms of fixtures and I think that would be quite a good 3 for £13.5m-£14m.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

Dummett's a left back, right? I thought Santon was pretty good. Wouldn't mind a Newcastle defender at 4.5m to start.

rosskind wrote: »
    Dummett's a left back, right? I thought Santon was pretty good. Wouldn't mind a Newcastle defender at 4.5m to start.
    Coloccini surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Santon's injured despite it not showing on the site.

Dummet has competition from Haidara/Raylor and possibly Yanga-Mbiwa however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Could someone create a poll?

Confident enough of Hutton being a 4.0 starter for Villa.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

CSF wrote: »

I see the bolded words and I see minus points :pac:

Seriously though, has he been getting games in pre-season? And would Bacuna and Lowton not be ahead of him?

Seriously though, has he been getting games in pre-season? And would Bacuna and Lowton not be ahead of him?

He has been the starter in pre-season, and it's usually been the strongest 11

He has been the starter in pre-season, and it's usually been the strongest 11

Yeah I was looking through twitter there and saw he's starting tonight. Well that's an interesting development anyway. He could score or he could get a red card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Hutton getting back into the side would be really weird he's been frozen out for a couple of years now.

Dietsquirt wrote: »
    Could someone create a poll?

Poll would be a clusterfcuk, imo. Too many options to mention...

Huth, Taylor, o'shea
    Davies, Coloccini, Taylor
    ward, Cameron, Simpson
    etc.

And that's before we get properly into the 4.0 lads. I'll be going for a combination of those 9 I've mentioned above. Long term I'd prefer ward, but stoke are home to villa gw1 and palace play arsenal, so might opt for Shawcross, Taylor and a 4.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Just scored.... Get the wagon loaded quickly

Yeah I was looking through twitter there and saw he's starting tonight. Well that's an interesting development anyway. He could score or he could get a red card.

And Hutton just scored :pac:

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    Just scored.... Get the wagon loaded quickly
    Do you guys want me to start a blog you can all subscribe to or something...

Lambert said he couldn't/wouldn't play Hutton due to his huge wages back in February, what has changed?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Lambert said he couldn't/wouldn't play Hutton due to his huge wages back in February, what has changed?
    In the words of Taylor Swift, everything has changed. Villa are in a whole different means of operating. Compare the signings this summer to those last summer.

In the words of Taylor Swift, everything has changed. Villa are in a whole different means of operating. Compare the signings this summer to those last summer.

OK but he also played a part in last year's pre season but was left out their 25 man squad. Has Lambert said anything to suggest he'll be apart of it this season?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    OK but he also played a part in last year's pre season but was left out their 25 man squad. Has Lambert said anything to suggest he'll be apart of it this season?

A quick google shows this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/10969487/Alan-Hutton-given-chance-to-revive-Aston-Villa-career-by-manager-Paul-Lambert.html

gameweek 4-8 villa play..........pool arsenal Chelsea city Everton 😨

km79 wrote: »
    gameweek 4-8 villa play..........pool arsenal Chelsea city Everton 😨

At 4.0 you won't be too upset about that though.

Anyone for a Hutton-Wisdom rotation? For 8.0 it's certainly a cost saving measure but I still wouldn't be confident of either starting or capable of clean sheets.

At 4.0 you won't be too upset about that though.

I dunno .....I want a back up defender with at least a chance of points and not negative ones :D I'm happy with wisdom if he is a starter. if not then I'll have to look again. there are a few Leicester ones too although they have a sticky opening as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭united2k11

could anyone recommend a defender that would be alright for 4m? I seem to have a decent team but need to fill in the last defender sport and have 4m left . thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

united2k11 wrote: »
    could anyone recommend a defender that would be alright for 4m? I seem to have a decent team but need to fill in the last defender sport and have 4m left . thanks!

As posted previously I was told Liam Moore at Leicester would be a 4 mil starter by a Leicester fan. I'd never heard of him but on Wikipedia he looked decent enough.

England U21 international, Fulham bid for him last January and 33 appearances last season.

Had another chat with my mate on this, he's pretty sure Dummett will get good gametime but not at the start of the season. Unlikely to start in the first few GW's. I guess it's between Wisdom, Hutton and Moore! Not a crucial decision as he'll likely be 2nd or 3rd choice sub, so you shouldn't need him for the first few GW's. The issue with Moore is obviously the fact that Leicester have a horrific start to the season and you wouldn't start him anyway! More chance of getting minus figures. But if you have any ambition to hold on to your WC it's important to put some thought into this position as it could save you a transfer down the line.

Lemlin wrote: »
    As posted previously I was told Liam Moore at Leicester would be a 4 mil starter by a Leicester fan. I'd never heard of him but on Wikipedia he looked decent enough.

England U21 international, Fulham bid for him last January and 33 appearances last season.
    Where in the defence is he likely to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Chico to leave Swansea

Neil Taylor looks less appealing to me now, although I guess it depends on who they replace him with. Could also bring Bartley at 4.0m into a starting role

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Any ideas for a 4.5 million defender?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Any ideas for a 4.5 million defender?

There's lots; Neil Taylor, Williamson, Coloccini, O'Shea, van Aanholt, Dunne, Ferdinand and Chester are just some of those who I think are good picks in that category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Anyone got a line on Stoke's backline?

Pieters, Wilson or Cameron? Bardsley too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Anyone got a line on Stoke's backline?

Pieters, Wilson or Cameron? Bardsley too!

I thought Huth would be in there but Hughes appeared to start his first team last night and went with:

Bardsley - Shawcross - Wilson - Pieters

Shawcross would be the only certainty to be honest.

Where in the defence is he likely to play?

Central defence or right back. I know nothing about the lad tbh. Just asked a girl in the office from Leicester who supports them and she recommended him as a 4 mil starter.

She regularly flies over to games so she should know in fairness. I'll ask her next week where he normally plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Anyone punting on Chambers for the first few weeks, what with Mert yet to kick a ball and Arsenal's opening fixtures congestion???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

manual_man wrote: »
    Anyone punting on Chambers for the first few weeks, what with Mert yet to kick a ball and Arsenal's opening fixtures congestion???

Yep. Same as Jenkinson last year, should be good for a few early games and price rise. Arteta for 5.5 will start too and is on a few set pieces, might be a good 5th mid for opening weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Ok, most of the cheapie defenders have completed their preseason, I've been watching the 4.0m possibilities' fortunes closely, here's a summary of wherever they stand in my opinion which may be of help to some.

Leicester.
    Moore seems nailed on by all reports. Wasilevski a maybe. But awful awful fixtures to start, you wouldn't want to be having to call on them much.

Hull
    They played 352 in both Europa games, a formation which saw Bruce start as one of the three CBs. However when they switched to 442 midway through the second leg he was taken off. They seem to be gearing for 352 in which case I think he'll start, but quite a bit of risk attached. Tempted to chance this one myself, think he'll play GW1. McShane has also played a bit but I suspect Bruce has a better chance.

Burnley
    Duff will almost certainly start next week, and will continue unless they sign a replacement. However this does seem likely so he may not play come September. In the meantime they also have a pretty terrible start at home especially.

Swansea
    Bartley starts as it stands but a new signing seems imminent possible before GW1. Have looked dodgy at the back so far preseason too. Don't think I'd go near him tbh.

WBA
    Have played 4231 preseason and so far Wisdom has been starting at RB, and seems set to start the season the, however will be under pressure immediately from Gamboa. He can play CB but there is competition there too. Risky but could pay off, although I personally think there won't be too many clean sheets in this team. Also, Chris Baird has played quite a bit preseason and played 90 mins in their last game and also the the third last one at midfield in the pivot so could be worth monitoring.

Newcastle.
    Paul Dummett and Steven Taylor have both seen gametime preseason but it always seemed likely that Janmaat and Haidaira would be first choice, and their lineup for yesterday's final friendly pretty much confirmed that. No go.

Villa
    Alan Hutton is back in the fold and pretty well nailed on at full back. First three fixtures not too back but after that it gets very sticky, with last seasons top 4 one after another. Pretty bad defence too.

QPR
    One of a number of teams apparently going 352 and Yun got a few mentions around here, however from what I can see he got very little gametime in their friendlies and the wing backs will be Simpson and SWP. Non runner also.

Southampton.
    Targett is a miss.

As far as I can see that's the lot, slim pickings. Anyone who can add to or contradict this list please go ahead.

Nice round-up. I think Isla will be the RWB for QPR though, maybe not from the start due to his late arrival after the WC but certainly long-term.

Wisdom for me. Not confident on clean sheets but he'll be on my bench anyway and WBA's injuries and decent fixtures will do til the hidden gems reveal themselves.

As someone on two 4.0m defenders :o, this is helpful. Currently have Moore and Duff, but thinking about Hutton just for GW2.
    FHFC wrote: »
    Swansea
    Bartley starts as it stands but a new signing seems imminent possible before GW1. Have looked dodgy at the back so far preseason too. Don't think I'd go near him tbh.
    The supposed signing is Fernandez who went to the World Cup with Argentina. So Bartley would probably still start GW1 (not that you would want him starting at Old Trafford) and maybe GW2. So that would be a very short term punt.

As someone on two 4.0m defenders :o, this is helpful. Currently have Moore and Duff, but thinking about Hutton just for GW2.

The supposed signing is Fernandez who went to the World Cup with Argentina. So Bartley would probably still start GW1 (not that you would want him starting at Old Trafford) and maybe GW2. So that would be a very short term punt.

Working on having two myself, hence the study!

Thinking Wisdom and a risk on Bruce maybe.

I'm going with Taylor, O'Shea, Coloccini and Moore. 16.5 for 4 defenders.

Terry and De Gea then complete the defence.

FHFC wrote: »
    Working on having two myself, hence the study!

Thinking Wisdom and a risk on Bruce maybe.
    The thing I like about Moore and Duff right now is that they have very low ownership and are nailed on (barring transfers). Bruce has a very high ownership so could be susceptible to price falls; even Wisdom is up at 7%.

Good defensive units aren't always obvious at the start, like Southampton last year and later Palace. I avoid doing anything fancy, just go cheap on defenders with good fixtures (even if they're only playing through injuries, like Wisdom) and get ready to make some early transfers.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'm going with Taylor, O'Shea, Coloccini and Moore. 16.5 for 4 defenders.

Terry and De Gea then complete the defence.

Taylor of Swansea presumably? Something up with your sums there! 17.5m I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭skippy15

The thing I like about Moore and Duff right now is that they have very low ownership and are nailed on (barring transfers). Bruce has a very high ownership so could be susceptible to price falls; even Wisdom is up at 7%.

Yes but both have shocking fixtures in first few weeks, so maybe one risky 4m and a safe 4 bench fodder. even hutton seems better option

• Advertisement
Advertisement