Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1980s bungalow renovation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

kupus wrote: »
    Dpm should not be bridged. Maybe it's a retro fit. Sorry can't help much with Dpm

For googles, clean out googles with warm water. Then coat it with a film of shaving cream or soap or fairy liquid wipe it in good and well. It helps to prevent condensation. And invest in a good mask. It saves money and coughing in the long run.
    In the past if I had the full enclosed glasses I would cut holes in the underside where they wrap around under eyes to give it space to breathe. Coz the mask would be under the glasses and it's just a case of direct condensation.

As for running wires. I think you can run all you want to the circuit board but you need a qualified licensed electrican to wire the board. That piece of paper would come in handy if something happens and insurance company gets involved. They will do everything in their power not to pay out so better not give them a reason not to.

Cheers for the tip on the eyeware. I will try it next time I am up in the loft. Will be getting a pro, (much as it pains me) to do the panel. I will try to do as much of the rest as I can myself. Appreciate the input. Cheers.

Not much to report on the work front. I am dog tired from the long nights after work and the last few nights have been mostly looking at ideas for tiling and flooring etc. It is all getting done as cheap as possible for now as we will be extending at a later date. I scored an ex display bathroom suite for €190 so the bathroom furniture is sorted. We have decided on tiling etc and I am buying 6mm fibreboard for insulation under the laminate floors.

Bought a new pipe bender for €70 and an electric tile cutting table, plus manual cutter and pincer nips for €50. Think I did well, the pipe benders are a good brand so should be better than the cheap Ebay jobbies.

Good news, the bathroom is finally dry! Seems all our damp issues were down to leaking pipes under the floor. Now need to re-pipe and fill the holes with screed. Once I get the benders I will buy the pipes and connectors.

Have plumbed a few radiators fully. Also got some brackets on the soil stack pipe so it is now secured.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭biketard

FortySeven wrote: »
    was starting to think I was the only person here

Not at all. Plenty of people like myself watching this thread with great interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I've loved reading through this thread. We moved house in April & although the house is only 20 years old, we've found ourselves confronted by more problems than we anticipated & are faced with putting many of the previous shoddy jobs right. We found light fittings held up with crate packing tape, burnt out wires going to the cooker hob, dangerous bathroom lights, leaking gutters, every blind we pulled came off the wall, the wooden floor creaks like a sinking ship, no burglar could climb the stairs without waking the neighbours they creak so much, plumbing pipes are embedded in concrete, the entire house has been covered with lining paper & painted over time & time again.

Then I showed my OH this thread & we realised that things could be much worse!

I think you're doing a great job FortySeven & I'm surprised to hear you're an amateur DIY-er. I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit at all!

On the stove issue - we saw one of the pellet stoves in a friend's house. One of the things we thought would be great would be a self-igniting stove with a timer. Theirs does this & we're contemplating it as an option. Although it is expensive which is off-putting. They were very positive about it though. The other advantage is that the flue doesn't have to be as high above the house as the more traditional stoves which is another plus for me. Some of the flues are huge & off-putting - to me anyway.

Best of luck with your project & please keep the updates & photos coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Fair play FortySeven. I just read through this morning. WE're getting our place in the middle of next month. Can't wait. Loads of work to do.

• Advertisement

Not a lot to report, finished hanging the rads. We are using these for extending the pipes. With PTFE tape 15 wraps.

IMAG0574_zpsc111brvr.jpg

No joy, they are pretty much all leaking from the valve to tail extension joint. Meh!

IMAG0576_zpswos2rp1k.jpg

Annoyingly with these, there is no way to disconnect them to rewrap the threads without completely removing the rad from the pipes. So, I went and bought a leak stopping liquid from Woodies, drained some water off and added it to the tank. Still leaking but I hope this will slow it down while I wait for the solution (I hope) to arrive. I got some loctite 55 which seems to be the bees knees in these situations. PTFE has proven to be useless here. I will drain and flush the system of the goo when the leaks are defeated.

I bought myself a book for a fiver from fleabay. Mainly for the wiring safety. It is a few years out of date but I don't recall houses blowing up or burning down en masse because of old regulations so I think I'll be grand working from the 2001 UK regs.

IMAG0575_zpsfnsd1rna.jpg

Did the calculations on the screed needs, ouch. 7 bags of cement and 700kg of sand so we have a tonne bag of sand, 7 bags cement and 4 lengths of copper pipe being delivered tomorrow. Cost €86.65 for the sand and cement and €85 for the pipes and connections, also another €56 on another radiator we forgot to buy.

Have to hire a mixer and our local hire shop has them on offer at €22 a week so we have been mainly clearing out the attached garage to house all this so we can mix indoors. Bloody spiders the size of mice in there. I need shelving for all my stuff, tools etc but I'm amazed by the prices. Decided to get some brackets and a buch of scaffolding planks and make a bunch of long shelves. I was planning on utilising the old kitchen in there but the smell of oldness was too much to bear.

We were out pricing tiles and floors. Have found and agreed on the flooring. We found some tiles we both loved on display and went to order them. No longer available. Why do they keep them on display?

So, more searching and we have found something not as nice but good enough. We will be getting them in the next few weeks.

Seller doesn't have a box for my pipe bender and tile cutter so hoping he can get one tomorrow he has been promised. That pipe bender is holding up everything. Can't really move until we get the floor repaired. Fingers crossed we will get it soon. Typically, I had asked the rental shop if they had one for rent. No. After I bought one i was in the rental shop again, there is a pipe bender on the shelf.

Not having much luck at the moment really but we soldier on. 3 weeks till the kids come home....:eek:

Garage tidying not going well either.

IMAG0577_zpsfculg9zn.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Well done sir....putting me to shame!!

A great read and great progress to date - you have inspired me to get my finger out and start the man cave fixer upper.

Cheers

Something for the weekend sir?

IMAG0580_zpsxshbvpet.jpg

That's our pipe benders and tile cutters, a chase tool with vacuum and a mini kangoo. Have to work tomorrow morning but I hope to get a lot done this weekend. Have to collect a cement mixer and hopefully we can get a lot done over the next 3 days.

Had a quick go with the chaser, seems easy enough. Happy enough with this as a first attempt.

IMAG0582_zpsx52cfe6g.jpg

Tired though. Seems I haven't had tiome to sit down for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

That's a stud wall! :)

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    That's a stud wall! :)

I wish it was, no stud walls in our house. Yet.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Meant to say earlier, for the bathroom why don't you knock the wall the one the closet was in and just move it back and forward. Replace with wooden stud wall. Easy peasy.

Meant to say earlier, for the bathroom why don't you knock the wall the one the closet was in and just move it back and forward. Replace with wooden stud wall. Easy peasy.

We did consider this but it leaves a pillar, it is also bearing some of the roof beams. We will be making a second bathroom in the current dining room at a later date so we decided not to make the small room any smaller, (we need all the rooms, 3 kids)

If we convert the loft I may lose that room to the bathroom and a staircase. Still thinking about that one.

Got the walls chased, hard bloody labour. Cut 7 in total, I am absolutely knackered. Pushing that thing into the wall is a nightmare.

IMAG0583_zpsf3sirapu.jpg

Was at work this morning, them collected a cement mixer, came home and went to the hardware shop. Bought 7 lengths of 3/4" oval conduit, lagging for the pipes, a roll of 1000 guage polythene, a wheelbarrow, a shovel, a bucket and a double socket faceplate for the one in the kitchen that trips the circuit when I switch it on or off. All in €115.21.

Then went back to the shop for stuff I forgot and spent another €41 on a plastic float and a new cooker switch and a double socket and a couple of cages as we are moving the diagonal chase for the cooker into a straight one that will not be in the way of the extractor and will not protrude from the wall.

IMAG0587_zpsgyhmcl4l.jpg

I have 4 of the chases cleaned out up to 1" from the ceiling, took a chunk of concrete to the top lip. Hurts like a bastard.

IMAG0586_zpsdscxsdvq.jpg

Had a go at bending the old pipes, I can get a nice bend but have to work out how to stop the form from leaving a nip, might try some lube to stop it sticking.

IMAG0588_zpseeui6e6a.jpg

IMAG0589_zpsh0jclqso.jpg

Forgot to buy PVA to make a cement slurry to put down before the screed. Will have to brave the traffic tomorrow and get it from Woodies. Have the cement mixer set up so we are ready to go this weekend with the plumbing and screed.

IMAG0590_zpsm9jf45cu.jpg

Can barely stand though, hopefully be back to normal tomorrow. :(

Happy enough with this, not bad for a first attempt even if I say so myself. Very happy with this new arrangement and especially proud of my crossover pipe. The old.

IMAG0558_zpsm0hjndty.jpg

IMAG0551_zpsg1z3ol2p.jpg

The new.

IMAG0592_zpsilws9bhy.jpg

IMAG0591_zpsut8hgzdo.jpg

It is very hard trying to work out the 3rd dimension and then remember which way the pipe benders bend and then how much to allow for the bend itself. Have to admit that my brain hurts. I got one wrong and could not complete the bend because the arms of the bender were hitting the pipe where I had made the first bend. Hadn't allowed for this. I tried to finish it off by hand but the pipe has kinked, you can just see it on the far right of the first new picture above. I bought only just enough pipe so will have to go to B & Q tomorrow to get another length. The kink seems ok but I am not taking the risk that it will hold.

All in all, not as much done today as I hoped but my head has had a good scratching so should be good for head and shoulders this month. :confused:

Tomorrow I will lag the pipes and cap them then grease and tighten everything up and switch the water on. Fingers crossed.

Have to cut two more chases in the kitchen yet and chip away some more screed to undercut the join for the new one to bond. Also clean out a few of the other chases I made before returning the kangoo and chase tool on Tuesday.

Wow, what a difference. Great job.

Didn't get much done today. Bought a new length of pipe and bent it to replace the kinked one, then cleaned out the rest of the chases and cut a new one for the lightswitch in the kitchen, it currently runs externally on the dining room wall. Went to the loft to see where the socket next to the cooker switch runs and found out it is running off the same supply as the cooker. I decided to leave this alone for now as we will be moving the kitchen at a later date.

I undercut the screed edges in the bathroom and tidied them up to make the new screed bond better.

Had a look in the water tank while I was in the attic, 2 dead bats floating in the water tank and another in the heating tank. No wonder they are endangered, dumbasses. Fished them out anyway, there are 6 or 7 roosting in the top of the roof. I have read they leave in August so I will be sealing the loft after they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 crow75

where do you get the time from?? you are doing great!

crow75 wrote: »
    where do you get the time from?? you are doing great!

Wish I had more! Got in from work tonight, had dinner and straight back to it. Drained the system and got the pipes ready for final fitting. Greased, lagged and cut to size properly. Now all connected and water back on. The ends are capped for now while we check for leaks, then will trim the risers for flexi tap connectors. Bit nervous about leaving the water in the system overnight and while we are at work tomorrow. I may drain the tank again before I go to bed. Could do a lot of damage in 18 hours. :eek:

Damn it! Initially there were a few leaks, I expected this as I did not tighten the nuts much so to allow for tightening while not overtightening. One leaked from the riser, the other from the 3 way reducer. Have been keeping an eye on it after tightening both a bit. Seemed to be just a slow leak from the three way left. Loosened it off a bit and re-tightened it as I read this helps reseat the olive. Lots of fiddling with it before I stripped back some lagging to try and trace where it is coming from.

IMAG0593_zpshj4b1i0q.jpg

It is just the water that leaked from the riser, it ran down the pipe and into the lagging and it is slowly running through it and dripping out at the other end. (Looks for slap the forehead emoticon) DOH! All my joins are good. Still draining the tank though, will let it all dry out and pressurise it again tomorrow after work.

• Advertisement

FortySeven wrote: »
    Damn it! Initially there were a few leaks, I expected this as I did not tighten the nuts much so to allow for tightening while not overtightening. One leaked from the riser, the other from the 3 way reducer. Have been keeping an eye on it after tightening both a bit. Seemed to be just a slow leak from the three way left. Loosened it off a bit and re-tightened it as I read this helps reseat the olive. Lots of fiddling with it before I stripped back some lagging to try and trace where it is coming from.

It is just the water that leaked from the riser, it ran down the pipe and into the lagging and it is slowly running through it and dripping out at the other end. (Looks for slap the forehead emoticon) DOH! All my joins are good. Still draining the tank though, will let it all dry out and pressurise it again tomorrow after work.

Bit of an annoyance for sure, but definitely better to find out now while everything is accessible (and easy to dry out).

Had a go at the screed last night. I primed the concrete Friday evening with a PVA/water mix and let it dry. Last night I made a cement slurry with a bit more PVA to prime it and lay the screed on it wet.

IMAG0596_zpsqkmvyspl.jpg

Started mixing screed, keeping it dryish, not convinced by the sand I have, it is quite coarse but I guess it will have to do.

IMAG0597_zps6vrzwbqf.jpg

Not sure if it was tiredness or just stupidity but I became convinced my mix was too dry and the last 2 batches were a good bit wetter, all in all I am not happy with this, where it joins the rest of the floor needs some tidying and it is not quite level but there we are. Good practice for the larger area I have to do in the hall and bathroom. Will learn from the mistakes made.

IMAG0598_zpshfgllrrv.jpg

Took a hell of a lot more mixing than I expected, not sure the neighbours were too happy with me washing my tools at the outside tap at midnight but such is life.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Projectx

Just spotted your thread. Well done so far. I will follow with interest.

Been chipping away at the walls to make socket housings. Bloody blocks are full of chips of rock hard rock. Taking me ages with the chisel. First one I managed to cut too big.

IMAG0599_zpslf4o80ch.jpg

Drilled it out first. The cheap ROK hammer drill I bought for the job will be going back after for a refund, it is stuck on full power so the only control I have is on/off at the socket. The socket looks squint but it is the chase that is slightly off straight, drove me mad looking at it and looking at the level, was convinced the level was off.

IMAG0600_zpsdunugpyh.jpg

Next one went better. I am learning.

IMAG0601_zpsdr2zr6fm.jpg

Going to take a few days holiday if I can from work, so much to do in the next weeks it is starting to look impossible.

I saw somewhere you have a kango, just stick on the flathed chisel and make the electrical box. Just don't go to deep into wall and you'll be fine. A lot easier than making holes with a drill.
    And drop the rok tools. Quick.
    Waste of money and time. Time meaning you will have to go back and return it. So that's time spent that you could be doing work instead of going back to woodys to get another rok pos

I saw somewhere you have a kango, just stick on the flathed chisel and make the electrical box. Just don't go to deep into wall and you'll be fine. A lot easier than making holes with a drill.
    And drop the rok tools. Quick.
    Waste of money and time. Time meaning you will have to go back and return it. So that's time spent that you could be doing work instead of going back to woodys to get another rok pos

Kango was a rental, it went back a while ago. The ROK was bought knowing it would go back, (it cost €15) as I have a good Dewalt cordless that does me for most things, thought it might soldier on a bit longer though. Typically, the missus has thrown out the receipt. (Might have been me, but I'm blaming her :P)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Impressive. I'm now following this thread.

You are doing brilliantly keep up the great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Very interesting thread indeed. Also following with interest. Would love to do a project like this one.

On the kango front you may be able to pick up one of these Hammer drills from Lidl. They have kango bits http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=28503

sgarvan wrote: »
    Very interesting thread indeed. Also following with interest. Would love to do a project like this one.

On the kango front you may be able to pick up one of these Hammer drills from Lidl. They have kango bits http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=28503

I had one of those and yeah it was fine. Nothing special. Just fine. Did what o wanted it to do.

Just OT are those angle grinder holders any good? Never used one so I don't know. It's on that links page at th bottom.

• Advertisement

Already have Thursday booked off work to go and grab one of those very drills. Friday off too.

Have set myself a gruelling schedule that I hope to keep for the next few days. Tomorrow night I will finish the rad pipes in the bathroom and trim and recap the risers to the correct height. Then clean and prime the floor with PVA.

Thursday, shopping for drill and some electrical bits. Screed the bathroom and fill the hole in the bedroom and the holes where the doorframes used to be. I will make up some cement plaster to fill the huge chase left from the shower pipe and cable.

Friday will be finishing the chases, cutting the rest of the socket housings and light switch, wiring them up and pva the chases ready for plaster on Saturday.

Saturday, refit all radiators with the loctite 55, remove shower wiring, fan and switches in bathroom and fit a vent for the new in line fan. Plaster all chases.

Sunday. All the things I didn't finish in the preceding days. Need a big push now.

I got an unexpected windfall today of a one 4 all voucher from my life insurance provider. I will be taking it to B&Q to spend on 2 rooms worth of 6mm fibreboard for under the floors. Have to get doorframes bought and laminate floor. I will be laying the floor continuous, no saddles and I will fit the door frames on top instead of undercutting the frames after. (Unless anyone can tell me any reason I shouldn't?) I will be putting skirting after floors so have the perfect setup to leave a good expansion gap all around. Still have to fit bathroom and we have decided to leave the tiling for later.

Lots to do. Kids back in 2 weeks.

Advertisement