Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    Today I decided to buy some spare tubes for my Canyon but ran into difficulty when selecting sizes, wheels 700, tyres 25mm and want presta valve.

Does the valve size matter much, 36/42/51?

There are a few wheel width ranges, 18 - 25, 19 - 25, 20 - 25 etc. Nearest range to 25 best?

Thanks.

Valve size is just the length of it - if you have deep section wheels you'll need a longer valve or to use valve extenders. Any of those tube width ranges sound like they will fit your 25c tyres fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Maiden voyage with the upgrades. Just a small bit of tidying to do and a KMC chain to go on. Apart from a nice bottleholder this project is at an end for now. On to building a winter beast now

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Maiden voyage withbtge upgrades. Just a small bit of tidying to demand a KMC chain to go on. Apart from a nice bottleholder this project is at an end for now. On to building a winter beast now

Nice bike. Did the frame have the holes for di2? I would like to upgrade my bike but it's a mechanical only frameset I believe. A Scott addict

coach22 wrote: »
    Nice bike. Did the frame have the holes for di2? I would like to upgrade my bike but it's a mechanical only frameset I believe. A Scott addict

Thanks, this frame was Di2 ready, it's a big part of the reason I went for it tbh, it was annoying me that it could be Di2 but wasn't :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

coach22 wrote: »

You could fit SRAM wireless?

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    You could fit SRAM wireless?

Yeah but the bike has an ultegra groupset already so the upgrade to ultegra di2 would have been fairly cheap compared to etap. Think I'll just buy a new bike with etap eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I fitted a set of Fulcrum Racing 5 DB wheels to my Felt VR30 along with Michelin Lithions and Vittoria latex tubes which shaved a whopping 502g off the weight of the bike/wheels.

The OE wheels are Felt branded VR21’s which are 21mm Internal Diameter! The tyres were Schwalbe Durano RaceGuard 28mm and while very comfortable I found them heavy especially on hills so I went for the lighter Lithions in 25mm and added the latex tubes to gain some further comfort.

Will head out for a hilly spin tomorrow evening to see how they perform.

Fitted the KMC chain. I'm a sucker for a gold chain. The Di2 had stopped working but the wire had just popped off the battery. All good now and ready for a 5.30am spin

Cleaned and pic with new chain and cassette.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini doesn't come with a mount so someone made a 3D print mount that fits in place of a bottle cage. I just got it printed:

FGEavBzm.jpg

NQCyALWm.jpg

uqPZLZ4m.jpg

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1030083

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

looks well, but did you not get a warning about that bar tape?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    looks well, but did you not get a warning about that bar tape?

I know I know but the prettiest cyclist I know said it looked great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

That's a bute but my eyes burned when I saw the wasps nest under the saddle :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Mini doesn't come with a mount so someone made a 3D print mount that fits in place of a bottle cage. I just got it printed:
    looks well, but is that bolted to one or both bottle cage mounting points?

Hungrycol wrote: »
    That's a bute but my eyes burned when I saw the wasps nest under the saddle :(

When I get another half a stone off the jerseys will be a little more forgiving and the contents will then go into my pockets. 2 tubes and 2 Co2 cannisters is all that's in it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have the same saddlebag. Saddlebag bros high five!

i have the same saddlebag. Saddlebag bros high five!

It saves having to mount a light on the frame, it allows the red rear to clip in.

you mean on the rubbery plastic tag on it? i managed to rip mine half off, the stitching holding it on failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

It saves having to mount a light on the frame, it allows the red rear to clip in.

Storage bottle people. It's the way forward, pretty sure it's also allowed by the velominati.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lifeline-tool-storage-bottle/rp-prod161222

Edit here:
    456680.JPG

you mean on the rubbery plastic tag on it? i managed to rip mine half off, the stitching holding it on failed.

The stitching on mine was coming away but I glued it back.
    Hungrycol wrote: »
    Storage bottle people. It's the way forward, pretty sure it's also allowed by the velomati.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lifeline-tool-storage-bottle/rp-prod161222

I only go with one bottleholder though and the one in the pic is soon to be discarded for a new one that is much nicer and will be ok to bolt to the downtube too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Pleasant bike maintenance evening. Old hack got new BB, cassette and chain, along with gear re-indexing and general tune up. Rose CX got new hood covers as the old ones were slipping something rotten. All surprisingly easy for a change, without a single expletive issued which is practically unheard of for my bike maintenance sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I would have thought there's a high probability of that ripping a lovely hole in your frame at some point. If it made use of both bolts it would be better imo.

Nothing major, finally got a bottleholder that fits on the downtube. Need a smaller bottle though, I'm fed up buying bottles all the time, I rinse them, leave them on the sink to dry then housemate puts them into the dishwasher to ruin them for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Hungrycol wrote:
    Storage bottle people. It's the way forward, pretty sure it's also allowed by the velominati.
    The stitches (and now scar) in my back from keys after a crash, tell me to f*ck the rules. Plus, 1 bottle isn't enough in this heat anyway.

well, that was an anticlimax.
    took some pedals off my old road bike that have not been off in at least 13 years, i think. i was expecting to need sledgehammers and fire, and to bring it down to the priest to bless, but they came off with no fuss whatsoever.

well, that was an anticlimax.
    took some pedals off my old road bike that have not been off in at least 13 years, i think. i was expecting to need sledgehammers and fire, and to bring it down to the priest to bless, but they came off with no fuss whatsoever.

All those gym gains paying off

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

FGEavBzm.jpg NQCyALWm.jpg uqPZLZ4m.jpg

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1030083
    looks well, but is that bolted to one or both bottle cage mounting points?
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I would have thought there's a high probability of that ripping a lovely hole in your frame at some point. If it made use of both bolts it would be better imo.

It uses the two bolts. With a Hexlox to stop my bike-lock-mount from being stolen.

Damage is definitely a worry/consideration. TBH, I don't know much about estimating forces or knowing what is tolerable. I had to buy longer bolts to fit it, and I assume they are longer than the socket, although I don't know for sure and don't know how to know. For the most part, I'm just riding on the road. I'm not even sure if wear-and-tear is applicable here, or if "it's worked so far" is enough to assume it will work indefinitely. It could be re-printed to match the curve of the bike itself, which should remove some leeway, thus stress. The fact that Kryptonite themselves don't sell something like this is a bit worrying! I'd appreciate anyone who knows a bit weighing in.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

I currently have 50 | 34 chainrings(105), is it possible to change rings to 52 | 36 (105) ??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I tried to fit one of these JRC FACEPLATE to my Fizik stem last night but when fitted as per instructions the bars were still slightly loose.

Maybe i did something wrong but what seemed an easy task become pure frustration as i started this 45mins before a club spin!!!!

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    I tried to fit one of these JRC FACEPLATE to my Fizik stem last night but when fitted as per instructions the bars were still slightly loose.

Maybe i did something wrong but what seemed an easy task become pure frustration as i started this 45mins before a club spin!!!!

It looks too big to me. I have the proper bar fly one and the piece that holds it behind the face plate is much smaller than that

Advertisement