Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Algae on walls

• 06-02-2016 9:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭

I had the exterior walls dry dashed a few years ago in the hope of avoiding future maintainence, unfortunately it is now covered in reddish/brown crap.
    Is there any product to solve this problem, or will end up painting the walls.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭dathi

aujopimur wrote: »
    I had the exterior walls dry dashed a few years ago in the hope of avoiding future maintainence, unfortunately it is now covered in reddish/brown crap.
    Is there any product to solve this problem, or will end up painting the walls.

there is no such thing as a maintainence free finish on a house exterior. house hold bleach sprayed on with a cheap weed sprayer will clear it or you can splash the cash and buy an algicide google larsons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

Sodium hypochlorite (chlorine) diluted down in a napback sprayer. Spray on walls and wash of with hose. It will leave walls like new and lasts for years before you'll have to do it again.

The above can be got at any co-op or agricultural store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

Sodium hypochlorite (chlorine) diluted down in a napback sprayer. Spray on walls and wash of with hose. It will leave walls like new and lasts for years before you'll have to do it again.

In diluting, what ratio would you suggest ?

Cerco wrote: »

As per manufacturer's instructions. Not my place to advise on dilution ratio chap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Cerco

As per manufacturer's instructions. Not my place to advise on dilution ratio chap.

Sorry, I thought you had some experience of using it for the requested application.
    Perhaps someone else can assist?
    I have used Domestos mixed with water 60/40 , water / bleach. It works pretty well but needs yearly application. If chlorine is better I would be interested in hearing from more about it.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I thought you had some experience of using it for the requested application.
    Perhaps someone else can assist?
    I have used Domestos mixed with water 60/40 , water / bleach. It works pretty well but needs yearly application. If chlorine is better I would be interested in hearing from more about it.

I have experience, just not advising people as to mix ratio on a public forum - QED. Not my place. Talk to any farmer that has a milking parlour, same method of use would apply.

Household bleach is, in general, a solution containing 3–8% sodium hypochlorite and 0.01–0.05% sodium hydroxide; so we are talking about the same stuff. if you are using household bleach mix it 50/50 with water before spraying it on wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Sodium Hypochlorite that I buy from a chemical supplier is 14% and will literally burn through most substances so take care when diluting. Household bleach is normally 3-4%, some can be stronger, I guess but I have yet to come across it. To remove algae from sandstone requires a yearly application, it will grow back. Not sure about the red/brown crap you see on some walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

This thread is actually perfect timing as I am looking at the moment on how to get rid of that those red streaks on the gable wall of my house (like ones in this picture) and to clean off all my footpaths which have green algae and black discolouration.

Could I use Sodium hypochlorite as mentioned above or would I be better to use something like algoclear on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

For footpaths I recommend using granular chlorine, wet the path and sprinkle the grains, use a stiff brush and work them in to the path.
    Leave them on for 30min and then hose off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

CJhaughey wrote:
    For footpaths I recommend using granular chlorine, wet the path and sprinkle the grains, use a stiff brush and work them in to the path. Leave them on for 30min and then hose off.

Would you know where to get that at a decent price CJ, please

Pool suppliers, Chemical suppliers would be two places it should be easily got.

I'll find out and get back. We suffer from this front and back in the yard and front path .
    Recently we had some old cooking vinegar it was well past it's use by date. I poured it on the footpath outside where I have moss, this moss is very slippery in Winter an old person could slip easily.

Anyway where the vinegar landed it killed the moss over night. Obviously you wouldn't put this red vinegar on a wall. But it worked better than Thompson path cleaner.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    For footpaths I recommend using granular chlorine, wet the path and sprinkle the grains, use a stiff brush and work them in to the path.
    Leave them on for 30min and then hose off.

here is the safety data sheet for granular chlorine please be careful as whent it comes in contact with water it gives off chlorine gas which can cause chronic lung damage
    http://www.commercialaquaticsupplies.com/MSDS%20calcium%20hypochlorite.pdf

dathi wrote: »
    here is the safety data sheet for granular chlorine please be careful as whent it comes in contact with water it gives off chlorine gas which can cause chronic lung damage
    http://www.commercialaquaticsupplies.com/MSDS%20calcium%20hypochlorite.pdf
    Point well made however in my experience using it outdoors chlorine gas is generally not as big a problem as it would be when used indoors or a confined space.
    But do be careful with it as with any chemicals including bleach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Just make sure never to mix chlorine and beech. Will produce chlorine gas.

All good points, it is a DIY forum all the same and we do assume that people are aware of that and will still go about their projects in a safe way, being mindful of the risks and dangers and taking steps to mitigate same, reading labels on containers, double checking, questioning suppliers etc, still a great point about the gasses here, I've heard that before alright well worth highlighting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭marsbar1

tommycahir wrote: »
    This thread is actually perfect timing as I am looking at the moment on how to get rid of that those red streaks on the gable wall of my house (like ones in this picture) and to clean off all my footpaths which have green algae and black discolouration.

Could I use Sodium hypochlorite as mentioned above or would I be better to use something like algoclear on them?

Every day is a school day. I had no idea that red stuff you see all over house walls is algae. I thought it was some kind of red streak or mineral seeping out of the rendering into the paint. It makes sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ianm1234

It's caused by the dye used in render or a high level of iron that was in the sand and is now rusting from moisture, use household bleach then scrub with deck brush and wash off with garden hose not a power washer because you'll pit the render and be back in a few months, then apply a sealer & 2-3 coats of good quality paint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,703 ✭✭✭corks finest

Meowwwwe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

ianm1234 wrote: »
    It's caused by the dye used in render or a high level of iron that was in the sand
    No it's not, it's a form of algae.

dok_golf wrote: »
    It's caused by the dye used in render or a high level of iron that was in the sand
    No it's not, it's a form of algae.

Algae isn't red it's green, it becomes red because of the added colour in render

Agreed algae is green but you never mentioned algae at all in your post
    http://softwashireland.ie/cleaning-wall-render.php

Also , if its caused by dye in the render, how come it thrives on "regular" rendered walls?

Also , if its caused by dye in the render, how come it thrives on "regular" rendered walls?

Has plenty of causes, alot of iron in the sand naturally and making it rust, can happen when you have large sap trees by the side of your house or from a pond/lake and it also happens alot with houses near the sea from iron & salt, same as concrete going green with it

Making what rust? The red staining ( when caused by algae ) is essentially the green algae shi**ing itself. Its a by product of its' feeding process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭bman1

Mosgo do a product called Green Remover. I've used it. Does exactly what it says it will. Obviously doesn't get rid of dirt. Used it on gable walls that were very bad because they didn't get any sun on them really. Had it all killed off in bout 3 days. They also do a product just for that red algae. But I don't know anything about that, just saw it in the shop.

Making what rust? The red staining ( when caused by algae ) is essentially the green algae shi**ing itself. Its a by product of its' feeding process.

It makes iron in the sand rust which can stain the wall,

The best one I've used is Owatrol ATM 007. Kills all moss, mould, algae and doesn't discolour the walls

• Advertisement

It makes iron in the sand rust which can stain the wall,
    Sorry, but it doesn't. The only thing that can make iron rust is oxidisation

Rust is an iron oxide, a usually red oxide formed by the redox reaction of iron and oxygen in the presence of water or air moisture. Several forms of rust are distinguishable both visually and by spectroscopy, and form under different circumstances. Rust consists of hydrated iron(III) oxides Fe2O.

Advertisement