Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

As for reading Hello magazine while you're running?!
    Somne composure for keeping the mag still while running!
    Good work, as was mentioned before, the patience of the treadmill will stand to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Guilted into it, by posters who are so hard they eat glass for breakfast, I decided it was time to do another 'off-road' run before the snow disappeared. So, threw on the Innov8s and headed away from the house. Half a mile into the run and still on the road, I was faced with my first hurdle, a flooded road. Climbed up the ditch, and managed to negotiate my way around it, which, as it turned out was completely pointless. The hill climb for the next mile or so was a wide stream of melted snow, cascading down the route. After 10 minutes of stepping gingerly, I decided to throw caution (and dry feet) to the wind, and set off up the middle of the river bed. Higher up, the stream turned to slush, and then snow. The snow running was lovely (once you got past the slush) and the run up around the scalp was great, with just the wild goats for company.

Unfortunately, I ran out of time and had to hit the (still snow covered) road on the way back to pick up my youngster from school. So a couple of fast miles through the slush ensued and arriving back at the flooded road, launched straight through the middle, in my now soaked footwear.

Highpoints:
    Snow run near the smelting tower
    Running with the goats in the Scalp (Kevin Costner sequel?)
    Counting toes afterwards, and finding the same number I started out with
    Not slipping once, thanks to Innov8s (Now raised to godly status)

Lowpoints:
    Taking a wrong turn at the scalp and heading towards Enniskerry
    Briars bent over by the snow, stealing chunks of skin
    Innov8s may not be dry for Annacurra (but are now nice and clean again).

Summary: Bloody long log entry. 6.79 miles in 1 hour, @5:28/km, HR=151.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Great entry Krusty, sounds like a real satisfying run. Fighting through briars, running upstream, mountain goats for companions: from now on, Road Miles=Wuss Miles:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

+1 for your run report and the inov-8s. Wore them on 2 snow days myself and they were superb.

...inov-8s. Wore them on 2 snow days myself and they were superb.
    I have to say, they're brilliant. They're actually lighter than my Asics kinsei's, and running with them on the road is very comfortable - they almost feel like they're sticking to the road like slicks. They're also so damn comfortable I'm thinking of getting a second pair to wear about! Or maybe I'll just wait until I retire this pair and give them a wash.. :)

• Advertisement

Today: Planned a 10 mile aerobic road run. Couldn't decide which of the routes to cover, so decided I'd try a hilly route that I haven't ventured on for quite a while (different set of roads). Couple of snow-flakes falling outside, nothing to worry about, grand job. 1 mile in, snow pelting down. Up the hills that were 95% clear of snow yesterday - now, a fresh blanket of snow. So another lovely snow run (though quite unexpected this time, and without the slush and the Inov-8s). Back to sea-level - no snow at all. Some phone-pics around Barnaslingan.

Summary: 10 Hilly Miles in 1:19 @4:54/km, HR=147.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

hey krusty.
    great training log and cool phone shots....i expected goats though (pity).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 villan1

Today: Planned a 10 mile aerobic road run. Couldn't decide which of the routes to cover, so decided I'd try a hilly route that I haven't ventured on for quite a while (different set of roads). Couple of snow-flakes falling outside, nothing to worry about, grand job. 1 mile in, snow pelting down. Up the hills that were 95% clear of snow yesterday - now, a fresh blanket of snow. So another lovely snow run (though quite unexpected this time, and without the slush and the Inov-8s). Back to sea-level - no snow at all. Some phone-pics around Barnaslingan.

Summary: 10 Hilly Miles in 1:19 @4:54/km, HR=147.

Great photos!

Great run and pix. We need more pix from people's runs methinks.

I think you've the same hiccup on your HR that I often get with my garmin where it spikes at the start. Either that or you started your run like a madman :) I wet the straps of the HRM today and it started recording properly. My max HR today was only 157 vs your 180 :confused:

Some day I'd like to hook up for a run around those there hills.

asimonov wrote: »
    hey krusty.
    great training log and cool phone shots....i expected goats though (pity).
    Thanks! The goats were from yesterday's off-road run. :) Today was strictly on the road, not that you'd notice a difference! (except for the missing goats!)
    SJ wrote:
    We need more pix from people's runs methinks.
    Like a 1,000 Photo challenge? :)
    I've learned to ignore the HR spike. At the start of the Aware 10K I was over 220 bbm. :eek: You should definitely come out for a run, but I think I'd be pointing you in the right direction, and then watching you disappear into the distance! Maybe a recovery run!!!

• Advertisement

Yesterday: Did the Hal Higdon weights, plus the core strength training routine, and located some muscles that previously did not exist in my body. I always knew my core strength was a weakness, but jaybus, I found it difficult, and have a number of aches today (with a slight groin pull), for a very small number of reps.

Today: decided to go for a slightly longer than scheduled recovery run to try and stretch out some of the sore bits, so did 8 miles at a relaxed pace (no pace information showing on the Garmin, which again, really helped). I should be working for the County Council, as I think I managed to find every non-gritted Icy road in DunL/Rathdown. Still, kept the heart rate low, and I feel a lot better for it.

Summary: 8 Icy Miles in 1:10, @5:11/km with HR=132 (70%).

DSC00433.JPG

DSC00436.JPG

Today: Babysitter woes meant that i couldn't get out early, when the conditions would have been better for running (couple of fresh inches of snow). Instead, I managed to get out as everything was thawing, so the paths were treacherous, and ended up running nearly all of the 18 miles on the road, with only my HiViz to protect me.

Lashing rain, nasty drivers (yes, I know, I was running on their turf), and a couple of beers last night while the better half was away, meant a fairly miserable start. But running along Stepaside I cheered up, as the mountains reminded me of my recent ski trip to the Alps (didn't think to take a photo though). Heading to Blackrock the weather improved, and by the time I hit Killiney the sun was out, and I managed to take a few piccies without slowing down (motion blur!). Killiney was almost tropical by comparison to Stepaside.

Bart Simpson shaped Summary: 18 miles in 2:14, @4:38/km. HR=144

Some moving phone camera pictures here. Hard to believe these pictures were all taken over a 24 hour period!

Picture d'jour:
    DSC00442.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Thats a very nice picture. I took mine with a crappy old camera. I have a lovely canon 400d, so I must figure out a way to carry it safely on my runs :confused: as its kind of nice showing the kids where daddy ran today. Good running aswell.

Great running KC and great pictures. Your 2nd picture of a snow packed road was pretty much what I had to totally run on this morning in Wicklow. You covered a fair area in your run too and you were lucky with the weather by the sea.

Woddle wrote: »
    Thats a very nice picture. I took mine with a crappy old camera. I have a lovely canon 400d, so I must figure out a way to carry it safely on my runs :confused: as its kind of nice showing the kids where daddy ran today. Good running aswell.
    I've taken to carrying my mobile phone, as it's handy for the radio, and emergency rescue when I'm up in the hills :eek:. It's a Sony Ericsson K800i that takes a reasonable photo in a pinch. Couldn't imagine bringing a decent camera on a long run with me though! I have a friend who carries a digital compact, and takes a few self-portraits as he runs various races, and the deterioration is hilarious.
    Great running KC and great pictures. Your 2nd picture of a snow packed road was pretty much what I had to totally run on this morning in Wicklow. You covered a fair area in your run too and you were lucky with the weather by the sea.
    Very tough run then! How are you finding the Inov-8s (Mudroc's?).Did you wear them for the long run? Yeah, I covered a lot of ground, but the variety helps me with the motivation! Soon, I'm going to have to start hopping on a train, and travelling 20 miles away to run home, just to get some new runs in.

I wore regular road runners on my run today. ASICS 2130s I think. As the snow was fairly fresh it wasn't slippy. Yesterday on the snowy trail I wore my inov-8 mudclaw 270s for the first time. They've a plasticy sound running on the bit of tarmac I ran on, but on the rough stuff the grip was fab and they are lighter than the orange ones (mudclaws?)

Yesterday: 5 Recovery miles, that felt good. I didn't want to stop running (which is a good sign), but I did stop (which is an even better sign). Legs felt like they just wanted to keep on going on their own.

Summary: 5 Miles in 37 Mins.

Today: 10 Miles, with 5 miles at 15k-1/2 Marathon pace. Beautiful weather, so headed off towards Kilternan, with the plan to do the 5 fast miles from mile 4 onwards, reserving the final mile for recovery. By the time I hit mile 4, my energy levels had dropped to zero and my body didn't want to go on (it was all uphill to that point). Stopped for a break, and threatened my body with an ice bath if it didn't obey me. After a while the legs kicked back in, and the body followed. So the 5 miles flew by, dropping from Kilternan back to close to sea level. Wonderful views of snowy mountains and greenery, and still plenty of snow left in the fields.

Unfortunately I snapped my Garmin ANT USB dongle in two, so can't upload any runs for the time being. :mad: Have bought another one on eBay for around 15 quid though, which is pretty good value. Average pace for the 5 miles was 6:37/mile (33 minutes), so happy enough with that.

Summary: 10 miles with 5@ 15K race pace in 1:11 @4:28/km. HR=149 (79%).

Hal's Strength training + Core strength exercises (quite wrecked after these), followed by 5 mile recovery run, in nice sunny weather.

Summary (still no GPS log uploading): 5 miles in 39 mins, @4:52/km, HR=133.

Tomorrow, going to do a few miles just to tick over, then rest up on Friday for the IMRA race on Saturday.

Sunday - Long run: Planning something a little different with a running buddy. Going to leave a car at Killiney Dart station, get the Dart to Howth, and run all the way back along the coast. 20 miles, flat as a pancake, with the exception of the final climb over Killiney Hill/Vico Road. Google Map route. Will let you know how it goes, or if anyone wants to try it, could meet up in Howth on Sunday morning (you could alternatively get the Dart back). Planned pace ~5:10/km (8:20/mile).

8 Mile aerobic run today. Schedule was for 10 miles, but cut it short due to popping my IMRA cherry on Saturday. Just as well, as legs were very tired. Hopefully resting up for a day and half will provide some return to normal energy levels.

Summary: 8 Miles in 60 mins @4:42/km, HR=138

38 Days to Connemara
    108 Days to Edinburgh

Today's outlook: Tired.

• Advertisement

Today: Annacurra IMRA Race - 5.5 miles, with 358m ascent.
    My first IMRA race of this year (having done two last year), I had forgotten just how painful these races were. I arrived in Annacurra with a friend, at around 10:20am, and got signed up and suited up in no time at all (great organization!). Went for a quick warm-up jog out the forest track, and thought to myself- hmm.. This isn't so bad.. Nice run through a forest trail.

At close to 11am, Slogger Jogger did a fine job of providing a quick course overview, and then before we knew it, the race had started (very unexpected!). Myself and my friend were the last two people over the start line, so, as has become the ritual, started the process of working through the field. It was very difficult (very tiring) passing people on the initial climb, as the path through the forest was narrow and we typically had to take the outside line to overtake. Three quarters of the way up the initial climb, everyone around me (I was probably half way up the field) had slowed to a walk, so ashamedly, I joined them and took a breather for a minute or two (I guess this is what separates the men from the boys). The terrain levelled out a little (still a steep uphill climb!) so I picked up the pace a little. Coming over the top we were rewarded with fantastic views, but I didn't get to enjoy them as we were crunching our way through the snow, and I was in a personal battle with a couple of other runners.

We hit the first downhill (still covered in snow) and I could tell that the runners I was competing with were solid technical downhill runners, but somehow, I held onto my pace, and managed to pass them. An unexpected uphill (I should have remembered the elevation profile!), a bit more snow, and we were rewarded with the big downhill section back to the village. When we started the downhill, I was in 35th position (or thereabouts), and for some reason I was passing other runners who all seemed to be better runners than me, but who just couldn't hold the pace. Into the forest, a guy in front of me fell and managed to get up again, then we were back out into the open. I put in the final burst of speed over the last flat 200 metres and managed to pass 3 or 4 runners, before crossing the finish line and crumpling into a corner.

A tough race for me (I've grown used to (fond of!) my gentle hill climbs), I was very pleased with my 26th place finish, out of 112 finishers. A fantastic result for boards Athletics Club, having taken 1st, 6th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 26th and 32nd place. Still have to await the final results, but I'm sure we won the team result by quite a stretch. I'm also sure that even without Enduro's and Slogger Joggers outstanding results, we would still have won the team event (and I would've been on the score sheet!)*. Overall, a very enjoyable well run race, that I hope is a permanent fixture on the IMRA race calendar.

Summary: 5.45 miles in 42:35, @4:51/km, with Average Hr=170 :eek:
    Looking forward to seeing the tracklog for this race uploaded, but haven't received my new USB ANT stick yet.

*Edit*: Correction: team result is first three finishers only, rather than four, so we needed at least Slogger Jogger's result, and I couldn't have scored. I'm still happy. :D

Great account, and great race for you Krusty, well done! There's not a better feeling than going home from these races with the memory of taking a few places on the final downhills.

Did I see you there today (and apologies if you introduced yourself), I was taking the money at the registration desk, may have been a bit muddled?

+1 for that great account. I, guiltily walked, a bit of the steepest section. It was my body telling me how stupid I was for doing a bike ride yesterday. However, on some uphills like this a strongly walked stride can be as good as a slow jog and I held my own and stetched out on the downhill. Well done KC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

KC - nice account of the race.
    I think I was one of the guys you overtook on the way down (Black/green kit, ended up 35th :o) and I suspect we were running together for a bit before that?
    Well done on the result - the easy terrain today really killed me, and I couldn't hold the pace of the descent of several guys with more road miles in their legs on. Much prefer running on hard, technical terrain. More tempo runs and long intervals for me :(

re walking up that steep section - I did also and did not lose any ground to a couple in front who "ran" it, but felt better for it as it gave the legs a small break and was able to go past them at the top

Slogger Jogger - thanks for organising a great race, very well run.

Great account, and great race for you Krusty, well done! There's not a better feeling than going home from these races with the memory of taking a few places on the final downhills.

Did I see you there today (and apologies if you introduced yourself), I was taking the money at the registration desk, may have been a bit muddled?
    Thanks Donothoponpop. I didn't realize you were taking the money, so didn't introduce myself! I did see you doing some dodgy addition for a couple of guys who were in front of me in the queue. :D

I now know what SJ looks like, so will definitely come up and introduce myself for the next race.

+1 for that great account. I, guiltily walked, a bit of the steepest section. It was my body telling me how stupid I was for doing a bike ride yesterday. However, on some uphills like this a strongly walked stride can be as good as a slow jog and I held my own and stetched out on the downhill. Well done KC.
    That's great to know. I was wondering if the leading pack would walk any of the steeper slope. did you see Enduro walking? :D

When other drop into a walk, it's all too easy to follow-suit, as you realize that the guilt and shame is shared. :o
    Thanks again for a really great event and a welcome return to the fun that is IMRA.

sean_d wrote: »
    KC - nice account of the race.
    I think I was one of the guys you overtook on the way down (Black/green kit, ended up 35th :o) and I suspect we were running together for a bit before that?
    Well done on the result - the easy terrain today really killed me, and I couldn't hold the pace of the descent of several guys with more road miles in their legs on. Much prefer running on hard, technical terrain. More tempo runs and long intervals for me :(

re walking up that steep section - I did also and did not lose any ground to a couple in front who "ran" it, but felt better for it as it gave the legs a small break and was able to go past them at the top

Slogger Jogger - thanks for organising a great race, very well run.
    Hey Sean, that's me on the left, in this picture. Can't believe how fast the guys have got the results and photos (tagged) up on the website. Were you part of a trio of guys wearing something like 'Hiking association of Ireland'? I had some really good tussles with other runners, from the top of the hill all the way back down. Before that I was ploughing through the field on the way up (having started at the back), but there's wasn't anyone giving up a place easy on the downhill section!

I think I remember meeting you before the forest at the end, but don't think I had been anywhere near you before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

Must be mistaken then - I was having a great tussle with someone dressed very similarly all the way up the top section - eventually got rid of him on the snowy descent but he caught me again on the big fireroad, thought it might be you, but nevermind. You definitely did pass me on the descent though (were you in a group of 4 that passed me just after the road crossing?) as the counting marshall at the top put me in 30th and I ended 35th, having caught 1 person and been caught by 6. Was fine on the climbs, but the flats and easy descents is where I lose a lot of time to full-time runners. Immediate aim is to go sub40 for a 10k (probably try Bupa Great Run on April 4th) and hope that will put me in good stead for the faster races.
    Were you part of a trio of guys wearing something like 'Hiking association of Ireland'?
    Yep, that's me. We're from the Mountainbiking Association of Dublin (www.madmtb.com) - doing a bit of cross training for fun, and really enjoying the hillrunning setup.
    Before that I was ploughing through the field on the way up (having started at the back
    Yeah, had that problem myself - 2nd week in a row. I should really have learned the first time that if you're standing in the middle of the pack during the Director's speech, you need to be aware that EVERYONE else is inching forward around you and you're going to be standing at the back by the time the whistle goes....bit different to bike racing where the grid system is a bit more rigid. Cost me at least a minute, if not more, in Ticknock, a little less today, but its all experience I guess. I'll eventually get my head around it all...

No wasn't me, as I was competing with two guys on the snowy downhill and managed to pass them both through reckless self-endangerment ;). I can't have been too far behind you though, as I was counted in around mid 30s, but don't think I got passed on the downhill section. But maybe I was in pursuit on the uphill. My head was down.. Very down...

Apologies for misreading your logo. I just saw you guys briefly at the start. When the race started we were around 10 feet behind the last people and were waiting for the whole - line-up, 'ready-steady-go'!

• Advertisement

Ran it again this morning as part of a longer hill run and didn't walk! :)

Ran it again this morning as part of a longer hill run and didn't walk! :)
    Fair dues to you! Don't know how you could do that climb again after doing it in a race yesterday. I did my long run today, and jaysus, it felt very bloody long. Even at a much slower pace than my normal long run, and on a route mostly flat as a pool table.

Today: 20 mile slow run, from Howth to Killiney. Was very sore this morning (particularly my left shin) so wasn't entirely positive about heading out on this long run, but had already committed to a running buddy that I'd do it, so left the house at 8:30am to get the Dart to Howth. Arrived in Howth at 10am, to a chilly wind; a wind that was to slow us down for the first few miles until we turned the corner at Fairview.

Great sea vistas and a large amount of shin-friendly grass and tarmacadam paths saw us crossing from the Northside to the South with the sun coming out to warm our souls. We hit the beach at Sandymount for a very pleasant run on the sand as far as Booterstown, occasionally glancing across the bay at Howth in amazement. When you can see 10 miles behind you, it's an impressive visual distance, but from Sandymount, you can also see the 10 miles that you have ahead of you, which looks equally as impressive :(.

Blackrock, Dun Laoghaire, and Dalkey all passed without event, but as we passed Teddy's Ice cream shop in Sandycove the temptation to sit down and have a '99 was nearly over-whelming. The final climb up over Vico Road was quite painful, but with only a mile to go, and the rugby starting in 90 minutes, there was no holding us back.

Route rating: 3.5/5
    Mostly flat as a pancake (except for Dalkey-Killiney), with good paths most of the way, with occasional concrete. Need to have good weather as the entire route is very exposed, and strong winds would be a killer. Sunday Darts are sh1te, so check a timetable first! Wonderful views, as long as you don't mind the psychological shock of seeing the distance you have yet to travel!

Summary: 20 miles in just under 3 hours, @5:35/km, HR=132 (70%).
    Still regret not stopping for the ice-cream and flake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

Sounds like a nice run - would love to try it myself some time, and as you say the distance is very visual.

What route do you take through city centre? Through Fairview, down East Wall Road and over the East Link? Run that myself but in the other direction on way from south to north on way home from work. The stretch from Ringsend to Fairview is pretty grim!

Great run Krusty especially after the race, I did it a few weeks back after a xc race but only managed 15/16, no way I could have done the 20 well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

yeah great stuff. Its so hard to do a long run after a hard race.

• Advertisement

Peckham wrote: »
    Sounds like a nice run - would love to try it myself some time, and as you say the distance is very visual.

What route do you take through city centre? Through Fairview, down East Wall Road and over the East Link? Run that myself but in the other direction on way from south to north on way home from work. The stretch from Ringsend to Fairview is pretty grim!
    Hi Peckham, unfortunately I snapped my USB ANT stick (for uploading routes to the web) in two, so can't upload routes until I get a new one, but essentially, that was it. At Fariview we turned and went over Alfie Byrne Road, over the toll bridge (on Pigeon House Road). It is pretty grim, but is alot worse if you head out to Poolbeg! Also, I did 20.01miles, to avoid all accusations. :D

Congrats on your return to full fitness by the way. You must be delighted to finally be over the injury.

Woddle wrote: »
    Great run Krusty especially after the race, I did it a few weeks back after a xc race but only managed 15/16, no way I could have done the 20 well done.
    Thanks Woddle. My running buddy is aiming for 3:40 in Connemara, so thankfully his long run pace is a good bit slower than I would normally run a long run, which helped greatly (a good bit slower than my recovery runs). All the aches and pains dissolved after the first 8 miles. It's good to get 3 hours on my feet, as that's close to what I'll be doing in Connemara (pacing him). Think I even managed a suntan during the run!

yeah great stuff. Its so hard to do a long run after a hard race.
    Thanks TheRoadRunner. Probably more down to foolish pride (didn't want to cancel) than anything, but glad to have it done. Only one more 20 miler before Connemara, where I hope to record my personal worst time. :)

Great running KC. I don't feel too bad (for my poor body) after doing 20 miles today too. Well done.

Feeling a bit tired the last two days, so, glad to read in my P&D training diary that it is a recovery week. I have been running around 8-10 miles more per week than the training plan requires, but that is to make sure I am up to distance for the Connemarathon coming up in around 5 weeks time. I had toyed with switching from the 'up to 55 miles per week' plan to the 'up to 70 miles per week' plan, as I've been running 55 miles per week for the guts of a month now, with more than three months to go to the real target (Edinburgh), but decided against it, as I can use the extra mileage for non-training runs, like IMRA races, trail runs, running with friends who run at a lesser pace, or more recovery runs.

Yesterday: Hals weights, followed by core strength exercises. Have increased the weight of the dumbbells to around 3kg each, doing around 12 repetitions. Probably a complete light-weight, but haven't done any weights before. Also increased the core strength stuff to 12 repetitions (from 10). Softly, softly, catchee monkey! Still really struggling with the bicycle crunches and the hip lifts.

• Advertisement

Today: 8 Miles with 10 x 100m strides. Anyone have any suggestions how you can approximate 100 metres without having to look at the watch (and change it to metric?). I'm not great at gauging distances, so have been doing approximately 60-80 strides, but could be way off.

Anyway, today's beautiful spring day was off-set by tiredness from the weekend, so didn't really enjoy the run. More a case of getting it done, and ticking the boxes. But I did tick the box. Looking forward to tomorrow's recovery run, if the fine weather keeps up. Will definitely wear lighter clothes which may have contributed to the difficulty.

Summary: 8.5 miles with 10 strides, in 1 hour, @7:09/Mile, HR=155 (81%)

It depends what way you do them, last year at every 0.93 I would do my strides, so after 0.93 = strides, 1.93 = srides, 2.93 = strides, 100 meters is close to 0.07, and its handy to set the garmin to lap every mile so your not looking at the watch doing them, your just waiting for the beep so you can stop
    Or if you do it this way do your 8/10 miles and on the way home outside the house just go up and down the same stretch of path picking out the same marker each time. Outside my house, its the ballyboden traffic lights to the phone box close to Buglers pub.

Thanks. I'll give your first suggestion a go, as I don't live anywhere near Ballyboden. :D

Hey KC didn't realise you were doing Edinburgh too. We can definitely hook up for training runs in advance of that, enjoy the taper together and a beer over there :)

Yep, it's one of the two big goals this year: Edinburgh - 3:07:30, and Berlin - 3:xx:xx. Looking forward to the period after Connemara, when the real training begins. I'm only messin' at the moment. :)

Today: 5 miles on the grass in the park at aerobic/easy pace, @7:32/mile, in 40 mins. HR=Still screwed up (around 142=72%).

Looks like you were doing a similar pattern around Shangannagh to me last night :). Lots of runners out yesterday evening. You know Spring is coming.

..and sometimes it gives it all back.. But rarely both in the same workout.

Headed out this afternoon on an 8 mile aerobic run, with the idea of possibly completing my weekend's medium long run, if I felt up to it (step-back week). Decided on an old favourite route with a steady climb for a couple of miles, then a nice down-hill, followed by a flat return to home. At the top of the hill-climb, I was wrecked, but had put in some pretty good times on the climb. Recovered very quickly and enjoyed the subsequent down-hill, so at mile 7 decided I would stretch the run to the 13 miles. It was great to see some miles on the flat/uphill at planned race pace, with my heart rate staying comfortably below 155.

So, finished the 13.1 miles in 1:34, which is a decent chunk off my PB for the distance (official - 1:44, but have done 1:38 during a marathon). So very pleased. Overall the 13 miles was at planned marathon pace (for Edinburgh), so a great confidence booster. I feel just fine afterwards, and now have a couple of easy days of recovery runs ahead of me, before one last high mileage week for Connemara.

Summary: 13.1 Ninja-shaped miles in 1:34, @7:11/mile, HR=152 (80%).

great run Krusty, nice distance, nice pace, nice hills! All that hill running will stand you in good stead for IMRA. Enjoy your couple of easy days now.

Thanks Donothoponpop. It was after reading your log, that the idea popped into my mind of getting the medium-long run out of the way and having a nice easy couple of days. Not much difference between running 8 and 13 miles anyway (in terms of getting ready etc).

Fabulous running KC, again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement