Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone updated their Fair Usage Policy for Fibre

Options
  • 08-08-2013 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

just in case anyone missed this:
    **Most Vodafone broadband packages come with unlimited usage, subject to a 300GB fair usage policy (FUP). The FUP exists simply to allow Vodafone to contact a customer if we notice unusual usage that is driving very high internet traffic volumes, such as a PC virus. The service is truly unlimited and there is no charge and no service degradation of any sort that takes place for exceeding the 300GB FUP. The FUP simply exists to protect customers and gives Vodafone a means to contact them to help out if we notice something unusual.
    Important part in bold, just in case people arent aware. I got it 4 weeks ago and was worried about the FUP as ive easily downloaded 250Gig+ with steam sales and what not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I spoke to a rep in Vodafone yesterday, and although I know you can't always rely on what a sales person says, he did say the the 300gb limit was just there to allow them to contact you in case it turned out there was unintended bandwidth usage, eg a virus / zombie machine in the house or a Wifi piggybacker. If the customer says "yeah I know, it's intended" then Vodafone say Grand and everyone gets on with their lives.
    hopefully this'll be what happens in practice because when the fibre comes to our place I'll be notching all the sliders up to 1080p super HD 6.1 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I spoke to a rep in Vodafone yesterday, and although I know you can't always rely on what a sales person says, he did say the the 300gb limit was just there to allow them to contact you in case it turned out there was unintended bandwidth usage, eg a virus / zombie machine in the house or a Wifi piggybacker. If the customer says "yeah I know, it's intended" then Vodafone say Grand and everyone gets on with their lives.
    hopefully this'll be what happens in practice because when the fibre comes to our place I'll be notching all the sliders up to 1080p super HD 6.1 etc
    that sounds like what they have on their website now. Before this it was just a 300GB limit subject to FUP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I know its an old thread but was wondering as i just signed up for V.F. simply broadband has anyone exceeded the FUP and if so was there any extra charge/consequence for doing so

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

NATLOR wrote: »
    I know its an old thread but was wondering as i just signed up for V.F. simply broadband has anyone exceeded the FUP and if so was there any extra charge/consequence for doing so

I've never heard of anyone being contacted or charged for going over the FUP and we would almost certainly have heard about it here on this forum if it did happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bk wrote: »
    I've never heard of anyone being contacted or charged for going over the FUP and we would almost certainly have heard about it here on this forum if it did happen.

In fact we have, but you really have to take the p1ss to do it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92157473

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

bk wrote: »

I actually seen on Vodafone's own forum that apparently they're now charging €10 for every 100GB over your usage!

Will try and find the link.

Sadly, I've found it.

Dated 12/9/14
    Hi there,
    It appears the fair usage policy was quite recently updated - with usage being charged at €10 per 100GB over the limit (there was no charge to terms and conditions, simply that the FUP began being enforced, which previously hadn't been done).
    Apologies for the incorrect information here.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭domeld

It was 'unlimited' In August I downloaded and uploaded over 400 GB July over 300 GB i was not charged.

In one of the point of their TaC:

'Unlimited service carries a fair usage policy (FUP) and Vodafone reserve the right to charge for usage in excess of the advertised FUP or amend the service in terms of bandwidth speeds limitations or other measures such as restricting service types.'

This is bu....t. They changed tac so I think we can terminate contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I actually seen on Vodafone's own forum that apparently they're now charging €10 for every 100GB over your usage!

Will try and find the link.

Going on ED E's above bill (going over by 930gb and charged €93) obviously they are now enforcing this with no prior warning,wonder will they still charge for a small over usage.Ironically i just changed from totally unlimited mobile broadband at €25 a month to paying a tenner extra for fibre capped at 300gb :(
    No comparision on speeds though

hmmm, yeah its updated:
    Simply Broadband; A 300GB fair usage data allowance cap applies to Broadband usage within each billable month applies. This product does not support voice.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/terms/services/index.jsp#home
    tbh thats a bit crap, i downloaded FF13 last week on PC which was 50Gigs alone, ill definately move if i get charged. Can they even change the terms and conditions without notifying you?

They also removed their email service which is annoying. 20 mins of full speed downloading on average per day is the cap if you can get 100Mbps

• Advertisement

lmimmfn wrote: »
    hmmm, yeah its updated:

http://www.vodafone.ie/terms/services/index.jsp#home
    tbh thats a bit crap, i downloaded FF13 last week on PC which was 50Gigs alone, ill definately move if i get charged. Can they even change the terms and conditions without notifying you?

They also removed their email service which is annoying. 20 mins of full speed downloading on average per day is the cap if you can get 100Mbps

They're clever though because they always warned about charging for going over in the past, it's just now they're actually enforcing it!

So their t+c's haven't actually changed at all!

yeah they might only be charging if you take the piss though, we'll see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

People whining about hitting their 250-300GB FUP cap, when I'm stuck with a 60GB cap with THREE - SPOILT! the lot of ye.

This is BS if they are charging for going over 300gb - hopefully its only for users totally taking the pi$$ as you say (1tb +) because its pretty reasonable to hit up to 400gb or 500gb in a large household.

BeerWolf wrote: »
    People whining about hitting their 250-300GB FUP cap, when I'm stuck with a 60GB cap with THREE - SPOILT! the lot of ye.

Theres a few things I disagree with here.

1.) Three isn't broadband, it's midband, comparing the two is nonsense as they're very different services.

2.) Generally speaking FTTC "Fibre" costs a lot more than midband, I would expect unlimited over a Fibre connection as this is reasonable but over mobile broadband it just really isn't. Data caps in general are archaic but the cost for ISPs is a lot more on mobile hence the tiny caps.

3.) I want to get what I pay for, an UNLIMITED service, not an Unlimited* service. How is that considered "spoilt"?

/rant

Theres a few things I disagree with here.

1.) Three isn't broadband, it's midband, comparing the two is nonsense as they're very different services.

2.) Generally speaking FTTC "Fibre" costs a lot more than midband, I would expect unlimited over a Fibre connection as this is reasonable but over mobile broadband it just really isn't. Data caps in general are archaic but the cost for ISPs is a lot more on mobile hence the tiny caps.

3.) I want what to get what I pay for, an UNLIMITED service, not an Unlimited* service. How is that considered "spoilt"?

/rant

A fair usage policy should be just that: Fair. If they are automatically billing for any usage over 300gb then that seems less than fair. If they are applying this overage cost on a case by case basis to prevent silly abuse (1tb per month, for example) then fair enough. They are entitled to protect their business from obvious abuse.

EDIT I also see now on the eircom website they are charging 2€ per 10gb overage. Literally right below where it says totally unlimited.. When did this happen? Is it still 250gb with eircom efibre?
    2UgPmP3.png

A fair usage policy should be just that: Fair. If they are automatically billing for any usage over 300gb then that seems less than fair. If they are applying this overage cost on a case by case basis to prevent silly abuse (1tb per month, for example) then fair enough. They are entitled to protect their business from obvious abuse.

EDIT I also see now on the eircom website they are charging 2€ per 10gb overage. Literally right below where it says totally unlimited.. When did this happen? Is it still 250gb with eircom efibre?
    2UgPmP3.png
    Read the page. Ultimate is unlimited, advance has a 30gb limit and is charged for overage.

ED E wrote: »
    Read the page. Ultimate is unlimited, advance has a 30gb limit and is charged for overage.

Good point, so there's definitely no limit on the Unlimited package?

Good point, so there's definitely no limit on the Unlimited package?

There's a FUP in the tos but never seen anyone having it applied.

I queried on the Voda Talk To forum if this excess charge is applied automatically to all customers exceeding 300GB but got a typically vague response.

If anybody reading this gets charged by Vodafone for exceeding their 300GB limit can you please post here and let us know by how much you exceeded the limit

I'm still trying to figure out if the charge is just for those taking the mick (700GB +) or is it immediately and automatically applied when you go over 300GB. As it looks very likely like I'm going to go slightly over 300GB this month. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭GreyAlien

I've called 1907 twice to be told the FUP charge does not apply to older legacy accounts, meanwhile on the Vodafone talk to forum they remain adamant it does. Guess I'll just have to wait and see who is telling the truth.

GreyAlien wrote: »
    I've called 1907 twice to be told the FUP charge does not apply to older legacy accounts, meanwhile on the Vodafone talk to forum they remain adamant it does. Guess I'll just have to wait and see who is telling the truth.

Getting told this myself, I created a thread looking for a definite answer and I'm being told €1 per GB over 300GB.

Getting told this myself, I created a thread looking for a definite answer and I'm being told €1 per GB over 300GB.

The Voda website specifies €10 per 100GB over the 300GB - so what is it?

I changed over to €35pm broadband fibre only in September and it's called Vodafone Unlimited Broadband Standalone Fibre (12 Month) on my bill - is this a legacy plan or what? Of course I wasn't told when I was renewing for another 12 months that I would be charged for exceeding 300GB (which I have on a few occasions in the last 12 months since everything in our household - including all TV - comes through our broadband). Nice one, Vodafone.

The Voda website specifies €10 per 100GB over the 300GB - so what is it?

I changed over to €30pm broadband fibre only in September and it's called Vodafone Unlimited Broadband Standalone Fibre (12 Month) on my bill - is this a legacy plan or what? Of course I wasn't told when I was renewing for another 12 months that I would be charged for exceeding 300GB (which I have on a few occasions in the last 12 months since everything in our household - including all TV - comes through our broadband). Nice one, Vodafone.

New packages, ie the more expensive ones from this year it's €10 per 100GB and for the older plans, the cheaper ones it's €1 per GB over 300GB.

That's my understanding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭GreyAlien

Off the phone with vodafone again there, this person told me that there is indeed a charge. Two out of the three times I called I was told there was none. Anyway, after reciting the older FUP text, I was told to email them it. I've also lodged it as a complaint with vodafone, so will see where it goes from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They're clever though because they always warned about charging for going over in the past, it's just now they're actually enforcing it!

So their t+c's haven't actually changed at all!

When I signed up over the phone I was told there was a fair use amount but that was only there as a guide to safe usage and anyone using more would get a call to confirm they were using that amount and that it was not virus activity on their pc.

I was told there would be no charge for going over any limit or fair use amount so if they are now charging it is a bait & switch scam making them worthy of the title of corporate scumbags.

No way I will ever blow the fair use policy anyway with these pitiful speeds

3840020198.png3840044918.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

foggy_lad wrote: »
    No way I will ever blow the fair use policy anyway with these pitiful speeds

3840020198.png3840044918.png

Just out of interest what kind of dsl do you have that gives you 3mbps upload? Seems like a odd number.

I checked the site & my usage meter is still greyed out & says unlimited. Has this changed for anyone else?

I checked my usage for the last few months & it's been averaging 200gb. Which is grand while everyone is away at college, but that's liable to double in December & January when everyone's at home.

Simi wrote: »
    Just out of interest what kind of dsl do you have that gives you 3mbps upload? Seems like a odd number.

I checked the site & my usage meter is still greyed out & says unlimited. Has this changed for anyone else?

I checked my usage for the last few months & it's been averaging 200gb. Which is grand while everyone is away at college, but that's liable to double in December & January when everyone's at home.
    Look at the thread he created.

He's on VDSL 100/20 in Carlow, exactly like myself only he's unlucky in that his cabinet seems to be fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭tony-od

One thing I've noticed is that data add ons are back.These were unavailable when I got fibre early last year.So much for unlimited. Does anyone know if vodafone warn you first or do you get charged suddenly?

• Advertisement

tony-od wrote: »
    One thing I've noticed is that data add ons are back.These were unavailable when I got fibre early last year.So much for unlimited. Does anyone know if vodafone warn you first or do you get charged suddenly?

They seem to charge suddenly.

Yeah so much for unlimited!

Advertisement