Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are any Vodafone customers getting charged for going over their cap?

Options
  • 11-09-2014 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

I got text message yesterday from Vodafone informing my that my direct debt was unsuccessful. I decided to check my account online and was presented with a whopping bill of €144

This is my bill and data usage:

23mactf.pngif8xhy.png

My package is supposed to be unlimited, but they say there's a fair usage cap of 300GB, though, I witnessed Vodafone reps. say the cap is only to make sure your line is running smoothly.

Have Vodafone a right to charge me this much for going 4 time over the cap?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Contact them immediately.

That's an outrageous overcharge.

I've been told several times over the phone that you can use as much as you want, 5GB, 2TB whatever.

I was told that if you go over 300GB (in the space of a few days) they have the right to contact you and ask what's going on.

I was told though that this is "hardly done."

Actually I have a question about your package.

It looks like the old €40 legacy which I also have but how are you getting charged €51?

Have you extra minutes or something or was there a price increase?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They dont normally, but the reserve the right to, when you take the micky. And TBH thats above residential usage, by anyones standards.

Period Traffic Volume (Mbytes) Upload/Avg Download/Avg Total/Avg
    This month 0:0 178,793/16,253 75,302/6,845 254,095/23,099
    Last month 0:0 345,579/11,147 200,346/6,462 545,925/17,610

Thats with an always on home server on a 120Mb/10Mb connection with all my remote traffic being run through it over VPN.

Highest its ever been is 645GB.

TLDR: Rate limit your goddamn torrents!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

ED E wrote: »

TLDR: Rate limit your goddamn torrents!

thats 100% what i thought! youve uploaded just about as much as downloaded, is all that seeding really needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Usually they send you a letter saying that if you go over the fair usage amount again you will be charged.

You say that you received 4 notices ? is this correct ?. They usually warn you once by letter, and if you continue to go over the limit they charge you if not heeded. I had this problem with UPC a few years ago. Don't go over your limit, just monitor your usage to be on the safe-side.

It seems you went four times over the cap, so you should have received a notice about this on one of your bills.

Always read the small print/policy.

• Advertisement

BeerWolf wrote: »
    OP, try topping my bill:

Sweet mother of....

They obviously waived the charges?

What'd ye do?

I'd probably die off if I got a bill like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

OP, try topping my bill:

2eez9qw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Sweet mother of....

They obviously waived the charges?

What'd ye do?

I'd probably die off if I got a bill like that!

Yeah, it got waived - was 2 faults at their end:

1) Was my first bill, it didn't reset after the "cool off" period when I had it on trial for a week.

2) It was charging A LOT... at €0.85 per MB , instead of the usual €0.02 per MB over the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

All unlimited plans have to state very clearly when there is actually usage limits an penalties involved according to comreg. I could not find the information very easily at all on the vodafone website and even the live chat operators (I opened chat twice on different ip's and got two operators) said there is no limit and no penalties.

You are likely to have the charge removed if you complain the vodafone op and if they do not remove the charge tell them you will be lodging a complaint with comreg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

All unlimited plans have to state very clearly when there is actually usage limits an penalties involved according to comreg. I could not find the information very easily at all on the vodafone website and even the live chat operators (I opened chat twice on different ip's and got two operators) said there is no limit and no penalties.

You are likely to have the charge removed if you complain the vodafone op and if they do not remove the charge tell them you will be lodging a complaint with comreg.

The problem is, is that they do state their fair usage policy in the small-print policy though, but as you say, it's not clear and easily noticed unless you read all of the small-print. I agree, it should be made visibly clearer to the customer but every single ISP does this and they still will not make it clear even after Comreg contacts them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Unlimited service carries a fair usage policy (FUP) and Vodafone reserve the right to charge for usage in excess of the advertised FUP or amend the service in terms of bandwidth speeds limitations or other measures such as restricting service types.
    http://www.vodafone.ie/terms/services/#fibre

But as stated they do not give any details of the fair use policy or the charges associated with exceeding the cap.

I was told it was unlimited when i signed up and the 300GB was only to alert them to suspicious activity on an account such as a pc with a virus etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Do you have a link for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Do you have a link for this?

http://www.askcomreg.ie/internet/unlimited_broadband____fair_use_policy.391.LE.asp

If you ring them though they will give you more precise advice to your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

So, I opened today's post and seen this:
    Dear [My name],

I am contacting you regarding your Comreg case which has been recieved by our office. Unfortunately I have been unable to reach you via telephone. I]Probably because the phone isn't working for some reason[/I

On behalf of Vodafone I wish to unreservedly apologise for any inconvenience caused to you with regards to the issues highlighted in relation to your Vodafone At Home account.

Upon receipt of your case I have reviewed your account in full. I can confirm that the contract in relation to your landline & broadband service has now been removed therefore should you wish to cancel or transfer your services to another provider you will not be liable for termination charges.

I can also confirm that a credit of 193.18 has been applied to your account as a gesture of goodwill in relation to the broadband usage charges on your August & September invoices.

I trust this clarifies the matter for you and should there be anything further we can assist with please don't hesitate to contact our Customer Care Team on 1907 and they will be happy to help.

So long, Vodascum. Looks like I'm going back to Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

So, I opened today's post and seen this:

So long, Vodascum. Looks like I'm going back to Sky.

Don't forget to use up the credit on your account first :p

Advertisement