Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******Motors Chat - Round 6******

Options
  • 16-05-2013 1:02pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Continuation from motors chat round 5

1.This thread is for motoring topics which you feel are not worthy of starting a new thread for, banter from a meet or general motoring related chit chat.

2.No lonely hearts (This is not a personal dig at anyone, it's how we feel is the best way to describe what we want to avoid. )

3.Keep it clean.

4.The Motors charter applies.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'd love to know how they got the car like that :pac:

Also just to throw the question out there, if i were selling the saab, what would be a realistic price to ask for, given the work done on it and so on?

Not selling it but it's crossed my mind

I'm sure you know this yourself. But I wouldn't say all this work is really adding much monetary value to the car to be honest. It still wont be terribly desirable when you've decided to move on. You'll find someone to buy it, most likely someone into Saabs, but I wouldn't get your hopes too high!

But sure it's your own project car to enjoy, some things are better than cash!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Also just to throw the question out there, if i were selling the saab, what would be a realistic price to ask for, given the work done on it and so on?

Not selling it but it's crossed my mind

Feck all to be honest. Its like me and the busso, aint worth selling for the pittance Id get for it....probably a blessing in disguise considering how few of them are left on the ground nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

I'm sure you know this yourself. But I wouldn't say all this work is really adding much monetary value to the car to be honest. It still wont be terribly desirable when you've decided to move on. You'll find someone to buy it, most likely someone into Saabs, but I wouldn't get your hopes too high!

But sure it's your own project car to enjoy, some things are better than cash!
    Feck all to be honest. Its like me and the busso, aint worth selling for the pittance Id get for it....probably a blessing in disguise considering how few of them are left on the ground nowadays

Ah no i don't expect no more than 1000/700 even, Like if it comes to it i'll strip it for parts

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

in B4 "half eaten packets of crisps and toffee crisps" :pac:

Sobanek didn't get here in time. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

GvidoR wrote: »
    Sobanek didn't get here in time. :pac:

I only have a toffee crisp today. Gotta wait till Friday :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Ah no i don't expect no more than 1000/700 even, Like if it comes to it i'll strip it for parts

Did you pay much when you bought it? It's probably worth more than you paid for it but it's just you wouldn't get all the money you put into it I suppose. The market fcuked at the moment anyway you couldn't sell anything. Our 05 octavia was always making decent money my dad was often offered 4.5k for it by people he would know at one stage he had it practically sold for 4.5k but he decided to keep it. Went to sell it a mouth ago couldn't sell it. Ended up selling it to a relation for 3k as they had no need for a second car as my dads working abroad and they didn't have the room for it at the new house.

Still it's bad when you can't sell a diesel octavia ffs. Sure look at chp suberb that's a seriously cheap car.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

well lads, im new to all this diagnostics stuff with cars and was wondering is their anyone who would know much about it, we have a 05 kia cerato and the check engine light is on from what i gather any mechanic with an obd II can read these problems.
    If so roughly how much would a diagnostics cost and can any of ye guys reccomend one in ennis co.clare
    Thanks in advance!

Bpmull wrote: »
    Did you pay much when you bought it? It's probably worth more than you paid for it but it's just you wouldn't get all the money you put into it I suppose. The market fcuked at the moment anyway you couldn't sell anything. Our 05 octavia was always making decent money my dad was often offered 4.5k for it by people he would know at one stage he had it practically sold for 4.5k but he decided to keep it. Went to sell it a mouth ago couldn't sell it. Ended up selling it to a relation for 3k as they had no need for a second car as my dads working abroad and they didn't have the room for it at the new house.

Still it's bad when you can't sell a diesel octavia ffs. Sure look at chp suberb that's a seriously cheap car.

I paid 800 for it, I know well i'll never in a million years get whet i put in back from it, it's be nice to get a bit more back from it though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Kaiser D wrote: »
    Good Christ I've never been so happy to have air con in my life...

Spent €90 re-gassing mine last July in a Ford garage, who checked for leaks, was none, and it worked perfect up till about a few weeks ago :mad: Now all it does is hiss and blow warm air :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Halfords will regas and check pressure for circa €30 man!!

Got mine done last year and its perfect!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

YbFocus wrote: »

Yea? Went to a local garage before going to Ford last year and they couldn't get their stupid nozzle to get near the spot where the gas goes in. Hope Halfords won't be the same!

YbFocus wrote: »

The air con in the parents octavia is not working at all only blows hot air. I was expecting the same with the golf but it works perfect. I'm wouldn't be sure about letting halfords at my car though . I walked into halfords one they and there was a women with a q7 and halfords were changing a front dipped bulb and no joke they had the front bumper and wing on the ground actually there was very little panels left on the front of the car and halfords guy just staring at it cluelessly. I'm sure some of there branches are good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I paid 800 for it, I know well i'll never in a million years get whet i put in back from it, it's be nice to get a bit more back from it though

whats wrong with it that you want to sell it ?

some engine trouble or something ?

whats wrong with it that you want to sell it ?

some engine trouble or something ?

Nope, its all good, just one or two persistant small things it seems, I don't want to sell it, but I don't want to ask for something stupid when i do go to

Also, that volvo you're after in kildare, I know the guy selling it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

The air con in the parents octavia is not working at all only blows hot air. I was expecting the same with the golf but it works perfect. I'm wouldn't be sure about letting halfords at my car though .

If that's under warranty I'd be bringing it back. They're not unknown to go and it ain't cheap if they get caught for the bill!

Nope, its all good, just one or two persistant small things it seems, I don't want to sell it, but I don't want to ask for something stupid when i do go to

Also, that volvo you're after in kildare, I know the guy selling it ;)

in kildare ? this one ? http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-xc70-estate-7-seater-nct-09-15/6837555

there is another fairly similar one in kildare but its diesel so no thanks :P

haven't checked them out yet either for what features and extras they have... if they dont has the many extras then no thankies ! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Just won €175 at the bookies! Thanks, Ronaldo, I have petrol for two weeks now :D

in kildare ? this one ? http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-xc70-estate-7-seater-nct-09-15/6837555

there is another fairly similar one in kildare but its diesel so no thanks :P

haven't checked them out yet either for what features and extras they have... if they dont has the many extras then no thankies ! :P

I think its still there, I'll ring and ask, and give you the number, i think it was 1400/1700 he was after or something, it's after having a full engine rebuild, and the works

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Sobanek wrote: »
    Just won €175 at the bookies! Thanks, Ronaldo, I have petrol for two weeks now :D

So thats what he was crying about in the first half :pac:

I think its still there, I'll ring and ask, and give you the number, i think it was 1400/1700 he was after or something, it's after having a full engine rebuild, and the works

oh you mean this old heap ? http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-xc70-se-auto/6837024

no thanks, tis a bit too old, im aiming for a 2005 - 2007 2.5T model ! AWD Ocean race model.

but that would make a nice replacement for your saab :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

The air con in the parents octavia is not working at all only blows hot air. I was expecting the same with the golf but it works perfect. I'm wouldn't be sure about letting halfords at my car though . I walked into halfords one they and there was a women with a q7 and halfords were changing a front dipped bulb and no joke they had the front bumper and wing on the ground actually there was very little panels left on the front of the car and halfords guy just staring at it cluelessly. I'm sure some of there branches are good though.

Yep totally agree with Halfords, some branches are good. Others aren't.

I know the guys in the local one and they are big into cars/motorsport and know their stuff. Never had a problem with them.

You'd know by chatting them if they are clued in or just chancing their arm BP.

oh you mean this old heap ? http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-xc70-se-auto/6837024

no thanks, tis a bit too old, im aiming for a 2005 - 2007 2.5T model ! AWD Ocean race model.

but that would make a nice replacement for your saab :pac:

Nah, there best friends now at this stage :pac: Been in the same mechanics yard from time to time :P

If that's under warranty I'd be bringing it back. They're not unknown to go and it ain't cheap if they get caught for the bill!

Skoda are gone to the pits when It comes to warranty. The driver seat is worn quite bad. It's clearly a fault with the material in the seat and not a wear and tear item. The garage that we bought it in said they would do it no problem but they lost the dealership before we could get up. Went to local vw/ skoda garage no can't replace it it's a wear item. We rang skoda and all and they were of no help and this is when it had 50k km on it and was under warranty. There's not a hope of them looking at a/c out of warranty now. Them cars only had a 2 year warranty. The skoda branch of vw group really seem to have a terrible warranty service and attitude to warranty work in general. This octavia has a full skoda service history too.

My parents are not too bothered they put a seat cover on it and moved on still thick over the way they were treated and they were going to buy the new model but not now there very over priced these days now anyway and I find the new model very disappointing seriously cheap looking I the inside.

Nah, there best friends now at this stage :pac: Been in the same mechanics yard from time to time :P

Great sales pitch +

"Yup, shes been to the mechanics a few times alright!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Camera tricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    well lads, im new to all this diagnostics stuff with cars and was wondering is their anyone who would know much about it, we have a 05 kia cerato and the check engine light is on from what i gather any mechanic with an obd II can read these problems.
    If so roughly how much would a diagnostics cost and can any of ye guys reccomend one in ennis co.clare
    Thanks in advance!

Do you have an android phone? If so get the torque app and a cheap obdII reader and you'll be able to read and clear codes.
    Useful if you do work on cars yourself.

Outside of that in an indy, depends. Some won't charge for it if they're going to fix it as well, others might charge 30-50.
    Ive had both scenarios, engine management light on, mechanic didn't charge for diagnostics, as it was an expensive fix.
    Another time a different fault, he did charge for diagnostics, but then fixed the problem at a very reduced labour rate (he could have charged 3 hours, but only charged 30 mins).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Sobanek wrote: »

Great match, Real Madrid totally destroyed Bayern.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My tires from oponeo have made it to the UK as of this evening...wonder when I'll have them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Great match, Real Madrid totally destroyed Bayern.

Whats a Bayern?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Barn_outside.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement