Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Massive jump in DOE test fees- RSA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Rip of Republic.

All these increases will do is damage business.

Very few accidents if any are caused by vehicle defections.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

Theanswers wrote: »
    Rip of Republic.

All these increases will do is damage business.

Very few accidents if any are caused by vehicle defections.

Price increases are unfortunate but job needs to be done, just ask the family of the poor schoolkid that was killed and the rest injured in Offaly a couple of years back...rear axle came off the bus!

Well then they should raise the NCT too. A-lot of the vehicles being DOE tested are identical to those which if passenger undergo the NCT.

So for the sake of safety/ fairness should they not be tested to the same standards 1 hour vs (15-20 minutes) and of course the same price.

Because...
    it has to be done.

Why does it take longer to discover if a commercial landcruiser is safe vs the same passenger landcruiser?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

Why does it take longer to discover if a commercial landcruiser is safe vs the same passenger landcruiser?

The test centres for DOE aren't as high teck as NCT

• Advertisement

visual wrote: »
    The test centres for DOE aren't as high teck as NCT

Yet it costs more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Thats unreal it's going to cost me over 95 euro plus vat to test my focus van next Friday when it's booked in. I always get annoyed when I hear people going on about the nct how much of a rip of it is at 55 euro. I think nct is fair you don't test the car till it is 4 years old then every 2 years and then every year I think the cost is fair enough too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

It's a scam. I do about 10k per year in a berlingo van and have to undergo this test every year. My current van is 2 years old.

I also don't like the fact that they are done in garages where conveniently enough they can fix any problems that cause a failure.

Two years ago I brought a van in to a test centre only for it to fail. The very same garage quoted me 850+ VAT to 'fix' it.

I declined, took it to my local mechanic, paid him €70 and then brought it to another test centre where it passed.

The cost of doing the test isn't the only rip off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

RSA a bit pricey alright, I suppose someone has to pay for all the CCTV sytems installed by the RSA in the test centres though......

Bit cheaper up north:
    https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/mot-test-fees

Rip off republic going strong.

What CCTV Cameras and why?

• Advertisement

RSA isn't the motorists friend nor are they concerned with fainess. They have a firm hold on the cash cow without challenge.

What CCTV Cameras and why?

RSA have installed live cameras in VTN centres to keep an eye on tests along with ANPR cameras to identify the vehicles.

One could surmise that as the RSA has successfully reduced road deaths, it had to create another crisis to not only occupy itself with, but which would ensure it's employees jobs, budget and survival into the future.

As it is accepted that vehicle defects account for a very small percentage of fatal accidents it's hard to see any other valid reason for this very large hammer being used to crack such a small nut, for such a small national fleet.

RSA have installed live cameras in VTN centres to keep an eye on tests along with ANPR cameras to identify the vehicles.

One could surmise that as the RSA has successfully reduced road deaths, it had to create another crisis to not only occupy itself with, but which would ensure it's employees jobs, budget and survival into the future.

As it is accepted that vehicle defects account for a very small percentage of fatal accidents it's hard to see any other valid reason for this very large hammer being used to crack such a small nut, for such a small national fleet.

I would say the improvements in infrastructure and more motorways has had a bigger contribution to safety than all the effords of RSA combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

It's a scam. I do about 10k per year in a berlingo van and have to undergo this test every year. My current van is 2 years old.

I also don't like the fact that they are done in garages where conveniently enough they can fix any problems that cause a failure.

Two years ago I brought a van in to a test centre only for it to fail. The very same garage quoted me 850+ VAT to 'fix' it.

I declined, took it to my local mechanic, paid him €70 and then brought it to another test centre where it passed.

The cost of doing the test isn't the only rip off
    Im not saying it doesnt happen in some places, i know it does just like in the NCT but that you have just tarred everyone with the same brush with that post...

I work in a main dealers which has a test centre, i get no special treatment on sales vehicles and fail for the very same things as everyone else coming through the door, there is also never anything like you implied where things are exagerated or lies told in order to get work into the garage. You are right thougb about it being convienient, convienient for the customer if they dont want to fi d someone to do the repairs. We also waive the retest fee if we do the repairs which saves the customer time and money.

Im not sayi g your lieing g about your van just saying its not as common as you implied, especially in the last few years.

People dont seem to understand how regulated doe centres are. We get near weekly visits from the RSA, they call in unannounced and can go through any test that is being done, sometimes they stay for an hour or sometimes all day and go through tests with all the testers.

To the poster who said doe centres are not as high tech as nct centres, they are, more so in some cases with heavier equipment for larger vehicles like trucks and buses.

The price increase is huge imo, standard van test has gone up by €23 ffs!! Remember this is the rsa and NOT the test centres increasing the prices! Our poor receptionist has been getting an earfull off loads of people when she is taking bookings and telling them the new rules! Haha

aaakev wrote: »
    Im not saying it doesnt happen in some places, i know it does just like in the NCT but that you have just tarred everyone with the same brush with that post...

I work in a main dealers which has a test centre, i get no special treatment on sales vehicles and fail for the very same things as everyone else coming through the door, there is also never anything like you implied where things are exagerated or lies told in order to get work into the garage. You are right thougb about it being convienient, convienient for the customer if they dont want to fi d someone to do the repairs. We also waive the retest fee if we do the repairs which saves the customer time and money.

Im not sayi g your lieing g about your van just saying its not as common as you implied, especially in the last few years.

People dont seem to understand how regulated doe centres are. We get near weekly visits from the RSA, they call in unannounced and can go through any test that is being done, sometimes they stay for an hour or sometimes all day and go through tests with all the testers.

i certainly haven't tarred everyone with the same brush, at least it definately wasn't my intention. I specifically said that the second test centre I brought it to passed without any problems.

Fair enough, i read it that you thought place that tests vehicles and also repairs them is going to be up to no good... Which im sure thwre are a few but it would be very far from the norm if you get me

What was the original issue they quoted you to repair and what did your mechanic do?

Fair enough, i read it that you thought place that tests vehicles and also repairs them is going to be up to no good... Which im sure thwre are a few but it would be very far from the norm if you get me

What was the original issue they quoted you to repair and what did your mechanic do?

from what i remember there was an engine warning light pre-test (which had been continuously lit for a number of months). they said it needed a new alternator, 2 brake pads, a new tyre, mini service and labour.

My local mechanic replaced a fuse i believe which got rid of the engine warning light and put on 1 brake pad.

I brought it back to him 5 months later for a service and it just needed a basic service. no tyre change required.

I guess my point really was that the current system opens up the possibility for unscrupulous garages to add a fault or two on that isn't necessarily there. Now maybe the original DOE place made a genuine mistake, but if so it could have proved a costly mistake for me.

I feel that if we are forced to DOE every year, it should be Independent, like the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭dantastic

from what i remember there was an engine warning light pre-test (which had been continuously lit for a number of months). they said it needed a new alternator, 2 brake pads, a new tyre, mini service and labour.

My local mechanic replaced a fuse i believe which got rid of the engine warning light and put on 1 brake pad.

I brought it back to him 5 months later for a service and it just needed a basic service. no tyre change required.

I guess my point really was that the current system opens up the possibility for unscrupulous garages to add a fault or two on that isn't necessarily there. Now maybe the original DOE place made a genuine mistake, but if so it could have proved a costly mistake for me.

I feel that if we are forced to DOE every year, it should be Independent, like the NCT.

1 brake pad?

That would suggest to me that the brakes actually need _more_ work than just a few pads.

It should be pretty obvious if the tyres need changing. Again, 1 tyre only? why the uneven wear?

I don't get people who thinks this (DOE/NCT) is a money making racket. Just because some lazy git passed the component a second time doesn't necessarily mean it's up to the job. Maybe the first guy who failed you was actually right?!

dantastic wrote: »
    1 brake pad?

That would suggest to me that the brakes actually need _more_ work than just a few pads.

It should be pretty obvious if the tyres need changing. Again, 1 tyre only? why the uneven wear?

I don't get people who thinks this (DOE/NCT) is a money making racket. Just because some lazy git passed the component a second time doesn't necessarily mean it's up to the job. Maybe the first guy who failed you was actually right?!

so the lazy git that passed the second time and my mechanic were both wrong then?

no chance whatsoever that the 1st DOE was wrong?

Considering the following DOE (ie: the following year) it only required 2 tyres I would think it was the first DOE that was wrong.

I'm not a mechanic or car savvy by the way, this was 3 years ago....i said one brake pad because that's what i think i remember. And yes it was 1 tyre that was mentioned. I remember that specifically due to the conversation I had with my mechanic afterwards.

that makes no sense... An engine warning light would not lead you to a faulty alternator... And if your mechanic changed one brake pad i wouldnt be using him again. Brakes ware together so you dont change one at a time you replace both sides together.

Tyres often fail not because of ware but damage to the inner or outer wall, very hard to explain to some people that the bubble sticking Out of the tyre is dangerous when some mechanics tell them its not!! Happens regularly believe it or not

• Advertisement

dantastic wrote: »
    1 brake pad?

Considering the DOE now costs over 120 ish euro. Including VAT.

Yes, It is nothing more than a money racket.

Considering the DOE now costs over 120 ish euro. Including VAT.

Yes, It is nothing more than a money racket.
    €110.70 for a 3.5ton van. I agree its too expensive but nothing more than a money racket? So it doesnt make sure all the vans driving around are safe??

that makes no sense... An engine warning light would not lead you to a faulty alternator... And if your mechanic changed one brake pad i wouldnt be using him again. Brakes ware together so you dont change one at a time you replace both sides together.

Tyres often fail not because of ware but damage to the inner or outer wall, very hard to explain to some people that the bubble sticking Out of the tyre is dangerous when some mechanics tell them its not!! Happens regularly believe it or not

Whether it makes sense or not this is exactly what happened. What am I to do? Turn back time and tell them off?

It was the warning light that appears in the form of a battery symbol on the dash. Maybe I'm getting the terminology wrong?

Again as explained above the brake pad mention was my wording. I don't know/recall exactly what he did. Suffice to say I was charged €70+VAT.

Whether it makes sense or not this is exactly what happened. What am I to do? Turn back time and tell them off?

It was the warning light that appears in the form of a battery symbol on the dash. Maybe I'm getting the terminology wrong?

Again as explained above the brake pad mention was my wording. I don't know/recall exactly what he did. Suffice to say I was charged €70+VAT.

Obviously im not saying go back in time.... Im just trying to make sense of what your saying.

That is the battery light, its a red light. The engine light is an amber/orange light in the shape of an engine

Obviously im not saying go back in time.... Im just trying to make sense of what your saying.

That is the battery light, its a red light. The engine light is an amber/orange light in the shape of an engine

I should have said 'dashboard warning light' instead. I can talk to you in detail about the wonders of web design but not about mechanics I'm afraid! :)

All I'm really saying is that I beleve the DOEs should be carried out in an independent test area not affiliated with a garage. I know that's obviously not gonna happen but it's something I've often thought about.

I'm going to be getting rid of my van before its due it's next DOE so the increase won't affect me but it is quite a steep increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I work in a main dealers which has a test centre, i get no special treatment on sales vehicles and fail for the very same things as everyone else coming through the door, there is also never anything like you implied where things are exagerated or lies told in order to get work into the garage.

We have the same situation, a test centre attached to our workshop. The idea that we get away with anything, or get special treatment is very amusing to me, its just not like that.

Your local mechanic is an idiot.

Your local mechanic is an idiot.

Or a liar. One brake pad?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

For some reason I feel the need to come back to this. The list you gave above as some example of a Rip-off Garage could easily be nothing of the sort.

I bet you anything when the van failed the test that you asked the garage to give a quote for repair, but you didn't actually pay them to investigate the faults. I bet they got a fail list and were asked to make a price up from that.

Hence why you get a price for an alternator, they have to quote worst case scenario. Brakes worn, they quote for brakes, and as a safety issue they damn well should. A mini-service? Whats the problem here, they quoted for it, they didn't make you do it. And a tyre? Tyres can be worn and still pass the DOE test, I bet if the tyre was on the limit and if they didn't mention it they would be called cowboys that didn't even check the van.

So rubberdiddies, did you pay that garage to fully investigate those reported faults or did you just give them a list and ask them to pull a price from somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Ardeehey wrote: »
    Price increases are unfortunate but job needs to be done, just ask the family of the poor schoolkid that was killed and the rest injured in Offaly a couple of years back...rear axle came off the bus!

And I believe it had only recently been tested. Commercial are already subject to a yearly test even for brand new vehicles and had been subject to a test, long, long, long before the NCT arrived for private motorists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Commercials are tested very year and busses and Taxi's every six months. NCT, four years from new and two year intervals?

Advertisement