Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not really on-topic stuff from "N6 - Galway City Outer Bypass" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    People with complex care requirements are frequently SICK and some patients are SERIOUSLY SICK by the time the decision is made to move them to the REGIONAL HOSPITAL or supraregional hospital for their area.
    If you want to make use of this point, then use the term "supra regional", not "regional" and acknowledge it refers to only some patients.
    Derry is not part of HSE WEST being in another country. Derry should be the regional hospital for Donegal and is not. However parts of the Western Region outside Donegal would still be 100 miles from the Regional hospital in Galway even were Donegal attached to Derry for specialty care.
    I understand there are agreements in place for some Donegal patients to be treated in Derry, just as some Louth and Monaghan patients are treated in Newry.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

From memory, only cancer and gum services were put to altnagelvin and only for those east of barnesmore roughly

There are cardiac and similar patients being bussed to Galway from inishowen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Now that I have clearly explained all that can you please reopen the thread about the Galway Bypass where all the posters are perfectly well aware of where their regional hospital is even if one has some unusual views on how patients should be moved.

The stuff about HSE structures and the location of UHG is irrelevant to the GCOB.*

It may or may not be the case that patients are being transported by ambulance to UHG from as far as Cavan. However, the issue, in the Boards context, is that you have tried, through the use of unsubstantiated claims and emotive hyperbole (sick patients dying in gridlocked ambulances on the way from North Donegal or West Limerick etc etc) to imply that deaths are occurring more or less on the side of the road due to the absence of a bypass.

You have had repeated opportunities to provide evidence, even just links to news reports, to support your contention that "sick people are left dying in ambulances in the gridlock". A reasonable person can conclude at this stage that if you could point to such evidence you would have done so by now, and therefore the balance of probabilities is that your claim is false. That said, I would be interested to hear otherwise.

For the record, my reference to the NHS Cycle Response Unit was an aside that ended up being blown out of all proportion through the use of Straw Man arguments.

More evidence and less embellishment would be a welcome development.

*EDIT: Of course the sick people dying in gridlock angle is tilting at the IROPI windmill, on 'human health' grounds. Again, I would suggest that rational argument rather than hype might be more constructive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Who? Where? When? Verbatim quote please.

Verbatim quote of what exactly? I'm quite confused. I merely asked you if you were seriously suggesting that they could be used as an alternative to motorised patient transport, something which you had not answered directly.

I then went on to describe the touting of such a concept as absurd. I don't know what you mean by this Who What When stuff.

Just to be clear, my question is not meant to be vexatious. I geniunely want to know the relevance of bicycled paramedics to the thread above. Unless you were outlining a way which bicycles or other methods could replace every last motorised ambulance for critically-ill patients, I can't see the relevance of this to the merits for the GCOB.

You haven't directly answered my post above, I note. While you have accused others of using hyperbole and straw man arguments and other such points, you didn't answer the question I've asked you with anything but more questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Victor wrote: »
    If you want to make use of this point, then use the term "supra regional", not "regional" and acknowledge it refers to only some patients.

It refers to some patients. By the exact same logic some care is NATIONAL and this results in frequent transfers OUT of Galway to James' (Burns) Beamont ( Neurological ) and Crumlin ( Children) . Irrespective of the movement vector a trans City journey is required.

A previous effort to split out the permaschlock was successful for quite a time but the mods changed since and the reason for the previous split faded from memory ( same reason as this split exactly)

However when Victor was quietly PMd about the old thread he started this new thread instead. I dunno. :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74060626

98% of problems in the main Galway Bypass thread will go right away if a mod could explain patiently what a bicycle cannot do and and put the list in as rules in Post #1

A Bicycle cannot move a heart patient
    A Bicycle cannot move a burns patient
    A Bicycle cannot move a washing machine
    A Bicycle cannot deliver a plumber and his full toolkit onsite.
    A Bicycle cannot pull a 40 foot container behind it
    A Bicycle cannot collect passengers from Dublin Airport and deliver them to Galway in a timely manner.
    A Bicycle cannot cross water to Inishmore except in a very favourable sea state

etc etc.

• Advertisement

Verbatim quote of what exactly? I'm quite confused. I merely asked you if you were seriously suggesting that they could be used as an alternative to motorised patient transport, something which you had not answered directly.

I then went on to describe the touting of such a concept as absurd. I don't know what you mean by this Who What When stuff.

Just to be clear, my question is not meant to be vexatious. I geniunely want to know the relevance of bicycled paramedics to the thread above. Unless you were outlining a way which bicycles or other methods could replace every last motorised ambulance for critically-ill patients, I can't see the relevance of this to the merits for the GCOB.

You haven't directly answered my post above, I note. While you have accused others of using hyperbole and straw man arguments and other such points, you didn't answer the question I've asked you with anything but more questions.

Dealt with already. The rest is just Straw Man stuff, which as a rule I don't engage with as if it had any merit.

However when Victor was quietly PMd about the old thread he started this new thread instead. I dunno. :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74060626

98% of problems in the main Galway Bypass thread will go right away if a mod could explain patiently what a bicycle cannot do and and put the list in as rules in Post #1

A Bicycle cannot move a heart patient
    A Bicycle cannot move a burns patient
    A Bicycle cannot move a washing machine
    A Bicycle cannot deliver a plumber and his full toolkit onsite.
    A Bicycle cannot pull a 40 foot container behind it
    A Bicycle cannot collect passengers from Dublin Airport and deliver them to Galway in a timely manner.
    A Bicycle cannot cross water to Inishmore except in a very favourable sea state

etc etc.

A whole shoal of straw-fed red herrings there.

If you put as much effort into rational debate as you do with specious argument the GCOB debate would be a lot more constructive (as it much as it could ever be on Boards).

To continue the tortured zoological metaphors, GCOB proponents currently seem to be running around like a bunch of headless chickens after the ECJ ruling. Hence the scratching around for crumbs of comfort under the IROPI banner.

The bypass has now been put back by several more years. For the last twenty years the City Council has sat and waited for the GCOB to deliver them from their own folly. Policy as well as reality has now overtaken them, and I believe they will have little option but to seriously consider alternatives such as Transportation Demand Management, or whatever else it might be called, until their hopes of a GCOB resurrection materialise.

There are die-hards and incompetents in City Hall (and the County Buildings) who are simply unwilling or unable to see beyond car dependent development. They, like some posters on Boards, will often fly into a state of stratospheric apoplexy at the mention of anything deemed upsetting by the People That Matter.

Dealt with already. The rest is just Straw Man stuff, which as a rule I don't engage with as if it had any merit.
    Could please answer my questions rather than portraying my posts as straw man arguments? What did you mean by "verbatin quote please"?? Unless I'm missing something very obvious, you haven't dealt with my question except to dismiss it.

Once again, could you please clarify what relevance the articles on cycling paramedics have on whether there is or is not a problem with ambulances trying to enter or exit Galway University Hospital? This is as concise a way as I can think of to phrase my question.

I've already said that I can see the merits of such a service in the case of first responders beating congestion to reach patients. I don't see what relevance it has in patient transport. If it doesn't have any relevance, then why did you bring it up in this thread at all? For the sake of clarity if nothing else, it would be good to have an answer to that.

My post is self-explanatory, I reckon.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84143663&postcount=9

If you think someone is actually "touting" the successful NHS Cycle Response Unit as a means of transporting patients then take it up with the person who made such a claim. Otherwise it's a straw man argument.

I've already given the context for mentioning it, as an aside, in the first place.

The real issue, as I have pointed out repeatedly, is that some are trying to claim that patients are dying in gridlocked ambulances.

Given that evidence for such deaths has not been forthcoming, despite repeated requests, it looks more and more like that claim is a complete fabrication.

Elsewhere in Europe, such as London, they have pragmatically addressed problems of congestion with measures such as road pricing and innovative solutions (such as the successful NHS initiative referred to as a small but instructive example).

Here in Galway, and on Boards, it's the same old same old. A clear sign of this blinkered thinking, in my opinion, is the notion that we can't do anything to address gridlock until we get a bypass. As far as I can see, many bypass proponents want the GCOB so they can stop thinking altogether about more sustainable alternatives such as Transportation Demand Management. Well, there ain't going to be no bypass, for another five years at least, so the blinkers are going to have to come off sooner or later...

My post is self-explanatory, I reckon.

If you think someone is actually "touting" the successful NHS Cycle Response Unit as a means of transporting patients then take it up with the person who made such a claim. Otherwise it's a straw man argument.

I've already given the context for mentioning it, as an aside, in the first place.
    I didn't think so. I did read your comments and I don't think it was clearly made in the slightest. I think it was a very poor attempt to put it in context, actually. I also asked you to clarify if you were suggesting that they could be used to transport patients, as they are of almost no relevance to the thread otherwise. I didn't think you were, I just asked you. I have had to ask repeatedly and you still haven't said yes or no and you haven't explained the relevance of your earlier posts either.

You suddenly threw in the "bicycle ambulance" thing even though it had nothing to do with patient transport (I can safely assume). And again I ask, what is the relevance of the bicycle ambulance idea in the context of the merits of the GCOB and the need to improve patient transport or prevent delays to the same in Galway?

Of course I welcome any ideas that generate better first response times. But I cannot see how it would solve the problems of transport and access for a very important acute hospital without the GCOB or some other plausible river crossing being provided in tandem.

Unless you can actually clarify your own comments or justify the context in which they were mentioned in, then why are you still trying to discuss this? It's a fairly basic part of discussion that one can back up their own expressed opinions and their relevance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The real issue, as I have pointed out repeatedly, is that some are trying to claim that patients are dying in gridlocked ambulances.

Given that evidence for such deaths has not been forthcoming, despite repeated requests, it looks more and more like that claim is a complete fabrication.

Tell us then that timing was not an issue in this case (not in galway but still relevant as it deals with delays in getting treatment)
    The mother brought the ill child the Nenagh General Hospital where she was seen by medical staff. Soon afterwards it was decided that the young girl should be transferred the Mid Western Regional Hospital in Limerick almost 50 kilometres away.

An ambulance was requested to transport the girl to Limerick however she died while en route. The journey from Nenagh to Limerick is about 30 minutes in duration.

Now bear in mind that if something similar were to happen in the Roscommon hospital area, Galway (not Ballinasloe which is much closer, becuase the bog road between Roscommon & Ballinsaloe is terrible) is the designated primary care center. There has already been at least one death of a patient being transported to Galway Roscommon A&E is not open 24 hours. AT many times of the day there will be difficulty negotiating the various junctions due to traffic waiting to move off.

Unless you believe that time is not critical in the treatment of serious injuries, I don't see how you can glibly dismiss it as being possible that people are suffering extended illness up to and including dying because of delays in Galway, despite the lack of statistics. Part of the reason that we can't come up with any statistics, is that there does not seem to be any released about how long is taken to get across Galway city by ambulances (or al least there are none that I have been able to find int he public domain).

It seems that unless we get details of the case above where there was an extra 40 minute delay due to the ambulance being routed to Ballinsaloe instead of Galway direct, we don't get details of the time taken to bring patients to hospitals.

Then there's the issue of how statistics are collated and calculated. Until recently there was no uniformity in defining how long after an accident that a death could be attributed to a traffic accident. Here in Ireland if somebody dies within a week it counts as a death, but in Spain it's a serious injury. So how can we decide if a wait has been contributory, if the figures aren't available/are not being released?

And if you have any statistics to prove your hypothesis that our beliefs are unfounded produce them and stop calling strawman for no better reason than you don't like the arguement.

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    Now bear in mind that if something similar were to happen in the Roscommon hospital area, Galway (not Ballinasloe which is much closer, becuase the bog road between Roscommon & Ballinsaloe is terrible) is the designated primary care center. There has already been at least one death of a patient being transported to Galway Roscommon A&E is not open 24 hours. AT many times of the day there will be difficulty negotiating the various junctions due to traffic waiting to move off.
    Wasn't it the case that this person was unlikely to survive anyway?
    Then there's the issue of how statistics are collated and calculated. Until recently there was no uniformity in defining how long after an accident that a death could be attributed to a traffic accident. Here in Ireland if somebody dies within a week it counts as a death, but in Spain it's a serious injury. So how can we decide if a wait has been contributory, if the figures aren't available/are not being released?
    The international standard seems to be 30 days, as included in the RSA's annual collision reports.

Wasn't it the case that this person was unlikely to survive anyway?

That is what the HSE are claiming, but I haven't seen mention of an inquest on it yet.

However the point stands that delays in getting patients to hospitals for treatment, especially in the case of cardiac arrest & brain injury, are believed to be detrimental to the survivability of patients.

The international standard seems to be 30 days, as included in the RSA's annual collision reports.

From the linked article (by Conor Faughnan of the AA):
    Some countries count it as a road death if a person dies within 24 hours of a crash. Others take a 30-day definition and others a longer time period. If I’m unfortunate enough to be involved in a crash that results in my death a week later, then up until recently I’m a fatality in Ireland but only a serious injury in Spain.

A further complication is that most countries, Ireland included, use police reports as the primary data source for counting their road injuries. That is useful but inherently flawed; Gardai cannot be expected to know the outcome for a victim months down the line after a crash.

Agreeing on what constitutes a serious injury is even more complicated. For some countries it simply means an injury that required an overnight stay in hospital. For others it is an injury that results in a life-long impairment or disability.

Until we can agree on what we are talking about we cannot draw any reasonable conclusions from each other’s data. That can be really powerful as a tool to examine what policy interventions are working, what cost-benefit ratios are and where resources should be spent.

The European Commission, with lots of help from across the Continent, is looking to have a common methodology agreed.

The international standards have only recently been drawn up, as is stated in the linked article.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

MYOB wrote: »
    From memory, only cancer and gum services were put to altnagelvin and only for those east of barnesmore roughly

There are cardiac and similar patients being bussed to Galway from inishowen

It'd appear that cancer services aren't fully transferred actually:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/cancer-the-toughest-journey-1.1321062

And if you have any statistics to prove your hypothesis that our beliefs are unfounded produce them and stop calling strawman for no better reason than you don't like the arguement.

The hypothesis being advanced is that "sick people are dying in gridlocked ambulances" due to tha lack of a bypass.

It is up to those making such a claim to provide the evidence.

None forthcoming so far, which doesn't lend a lot of support to the "theory".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You are oversensitive to the Hospital issue.

You may of course provide costings for moving the hospital to where a Bypass is not needed to service the requirements of the patients in its catchment area. Massively upgrading Merlin Park would do the trick nicely. :D

I reckon it could be done for ummm emmmm ummm about the same price as the bypass depending on whether we tunnel under the limestone or not in which case moving the hospital would cost less. :)

The hypothesis being advanced is that "sick people are dying in gridlocked ambulances" due to tha lack of a bypass.

Why don't you go back to the thread you were asked the question in and answer it there. If you are going to refuse to take the belief that people's health is at risk without stats, then we have no need to allow you to make similar claims sans stats.

You are oversensitive to the Hospital issue.

You may of course provide costings for moving the hospital to where a Bypass is not needed to service the requirements of the patients in its catchment area. Massively upgrading Merlin Park would do the trick nicely. :D

I reckon it could be done for ummm emmmm ummm about the same price as the bypass depending on whether we tunnel under the limestone or not in which case moving the hospital would cost less. :)

I think repeated use of fanciful and emotive phrases such as "sick people dying in ambulances in the gridlock" suggests the real hypersensitivity on show.

Hopefully the IROPI process will be based on rationality and policy considerations, rather than on such emotion.

I think repeated use of fanciful and emotive phrases such as "sick people dying in ambulances in the gridlock" suggests the real hypersensitivity on show.

Hopefully the IROPI process will be based on rationality and policy considerations, rather than on such emotion.

Sure, if they look at the cost of moving the hospital, going by the proposal for the Children's hospital, itll be in the region of €250m to €500m to upgrade merlin park (we will have to build a full hospital not just a children's one) - or they could just buy the bons (that's probably be more expensive and there's no A&E), the public health benefits combined with the economic benefits (easier access to the west for tourism, which is suffering) and environmental benefits (thousands of vehicles not spewing out CO2 while sitting) it will be a more persuasive case that might appear at first glance.

Where is the evidence to show that the NHS cycle ambulance service is relevant to this thread??

I have asked you repeatedly and you still refuse to engage me on this issue. How is a bicycle first responder service relevant to the issue of patient transport and of the safety of patients being moved towards a hospital?

I can sympathise with the view that talk of deaths in ambulances would count as little more than hyperbole, but everyone in this thread ought to know why paramedics on bikes are relevant at all!

OK folks, I'm going to close this thread on Thursday.

I want discussion of the bypass and it's direct implications kept in the main Galway Bypass thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055413202

Wider discussion on how the bypass might fit into Galway transport should go in the thread on Commuting & Transport: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056925104

• Advertisement

Where is the evidence to show that the NHS cycle ambulance service is relevant to this thread??

I have asked you repeatedly and you still refuse to engage me on this issue. How is a bicycle first responder service relevant to the issue of patient transport and of the safety of patients being moved towards a hospital?

I can sympathise with the view that talk of deaths in ambulances would count as little more than hyperbole, but everyone in this thread ought to know why paramedics on bikes are relevant at all!

1. The thread title includes the phrase "not really on-topic stuff".

2. I already responded to your ponts re this minor issue:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84156226&postcount=39
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84153774&postcount=34

3. At no stage did I suggest that NHS-style Cycle Response Units could be used to transport patients -- hence my "straw man" retort, imo justified. The reference -- which, I repeat, was made as an aside in response to an earlier posts about mythical patients dying in gridlocked ambulances -- was intended to support the general point that cycling-based solutions are actually an effective way to deal with situations where traffic congestion is a problem, and are not actually as looney as some might like to portray. Note the refence on the NHS webpage to the instigator of the idea being laughed at when he first proposed it. I'm making such a point on Boards, where references to cycling or sustainable transport are, for some, like a red rag to a bull. Look at the main GCOB thread and you will see that it is peppered with epithets such as "psycholing forum", "a cyclist -- speaks volumes before we've even begun", "ecomentalist", etc.

4. Can we consider this particular micro-discussion closed now, please?

My question on this was raised before the thread was split, which you are aware of. Also I don't think Victor's intention was to allow a free-for-all on any discussion pertaining to road usage in general and I'm not sure if I ought to respond directly, given the warnings issued in the other threads about continuing the "bicycle paramedic" discussion.

Anyway, the responses so far haven't answered why or explained the relevance of the bikes in establishing the risk of congestion along the quincentennial bridge to patient safety within ambulances. I fully accept that you didn't say or suggest that bicycles could be used to transport patients, yet here we are and I still haven't heard why they were brought up in the context of the N6 GCOB thread. It's for that reason that I remain skeptical of the motivations behind raising the issue. It doesn't even debunk the idea that patient safety might (hypothetically, sure) be compromised by traffic congestion without the GCOB being built.

hopefully the off topic silliness on the GCOB thread can be carried on here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I contributed to the off topicness in the last thread myself so mea culpa there.

But why is it that every traffic thread related to Galway City ends up getting locked?
    It got to the stage that discussion of traffic had to be banned in the Galway City forum for a time.

Don't think we will hear anything about the bypass until the end of the year if even then.
    At least I'm unaffected as I rarely have to go near the bridges but my sympathies to those who do.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

As discussion has been axed on the other thread I wish to add one fact for review.
    The population of Galway west of the Corrib according to the 2006 census data is 73693
    West of the river inside the city boundary is 37782
    West of the Corrib outside the city boundary is 35911

and a few comments

If one looks at the population of the whole county of Galway over the last 70 years it has not changed much. The distribution of population has shifted to the city.

So however was talking about a population below 20K west of the river is off by about 200 to years. And as the bike wasn't a common means of transport then, and cars were in the future, obriens bridge "1818 on the present bridge plack"" was probaliby sufficiant.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

Bertie Ahern said, in 2006, of our economy: "The boom is getting boomier”.
    Well when it comes to the GCOB in 2013 "the farce is is getting farce-ier"

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/1316-landowners-along-galway-outer-bypass-route-in-limbo-as-cpos-fall

Galway County Council have informed land owners along the route that while compulsory purchase orders have been lapsed, they cannot dispose of their property.

Noel Grealish is quoted in yesterday's Sentinel as saying that the GCOB is 20 years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

Did anything ever come of this tender that went out last May? (-ish)

N6 Galway By-pass Multi-disciplinary Engineering Consultancy Services
    The Council requires multi-disciplinary engineering consultancy services in relation to the proposed N6 Galway by-pass, which would extend from the R336 Regional Road west of Galway City, to the N6 east of the City. The proposed road development would have an approximate length of 24 km. The commission is to advance the development of the proposed road to completion of Phase 2, Phase 3 and Phase 4 of the NRA Project Management Guidelines.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/pu.../publictenders

http://www.mytenders.ie/search/show/...x?ID=JUN408034

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

This has to be the worst named thread on boards.

• Advertisement

Irish_rat wrote: »
    This has to be the worst named thread on boards.

Not an on-topic comment, which justifies the title of the thread perhaps.

Advertisement