Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N5 Ballaghaderreen Bypass

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Charlestown was a jv with siac and i think ennis was done by the turks gama?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭macker16

compound is picked

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

Rumour has it that diggers will be moving in mid october.. heard from a lad that works with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

mantua wrote: »
    Rumour has it that diggers will be moving in mid october.. heard from a lad that works with them.

Any idea on a contract duration

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

black47 wrote: »
    Any idea on a contract duration
    Well N3 Belturbet bypass will have taken 2 years so maybe it'll be similar. No complex structures on this bypass.

• Advertisement

alot of bog to go through and mountain as well

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

macker16 wrote: »
    alot of bog to go through and mountain as well
    mountain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

Have been told 2-2 half years of work. pure bog even worse then the charlestown bypass.

did wills get the the contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

did wills get the the contract?
    I have heard that Willis are a lot cheaper than second lowest tender, no official word yet.

• Advertisement

wills awarded contract for the bypass

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

wills awarded contract for the bypass
    Thanks - source?

front page of western people yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

From Mid-West Radio:
    The Transport Minister Leo Varadker will travel to Ballaghadereen on Friday week next 2nd November to turn the sod on the new Ballaghadereen bypass – that’s according to Roscommon FG Deputy Frank Feighan.

The 13.6 kilometre carriageway will commence at the N5 Charlestown bypass about 6 km north-east of Ballaghadereen in the townland of Currinah, and rejoin the existing N5 about 7.5 km east of Ballaghadereen in the townland of Rathkeery.

Wills Brothers Ltd are contractors for the scheme, which has a total budget of €59 million.

Deputy Frank Feighan says that, along with the infrastructural benefits the new road will bring, the investment of almost €60 million will provide many jobs during the construction phase, which is expected to take over two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

ANOTHER scheme starts while Newlands and the M11 gap are still mired in red tape and mucking about by the contractor. The NRA should really really take a hard line with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

With the ballaghadereen and the longford bypass both together should knock 30 mins off ballina or castlebar to dublin.
    Wills will do a good job, their HQ isnt far away, they did a good job in both the longford and cavan bypasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

serfboard wrote: »
    From Mid-West Radio

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MidWest Radio
    The Transport Minister Leo Varadker will travel to Ballaghadereen on Friday week next 2nd November to turn the sod on the new Ballaghadereen bypass – that’s according to Roscommon FG Deputy Frank Feighan.

The 13.6 kilometre carriageway will commence at the N5 Charlestown bypass about 6 km north-east of Ballaghadereen in the townland of Currinah, and rejoin the existing N5 about 7.5 km east of Ballaghadereen in the townland of Rathkeery.

Wills Brothers Ltd are contractors for the scheme, which has a total budget of €59 million.

Deputy Frank Feighan says that, along with the infrastructural benefits the new road will bring, the investment of almost €60 million will provide many jobs during the construction phase, which is expected to take over two years.

Similar piece on this from the Roscommon Herald.

Starting friday

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

Starting friday

Enda & Ring feathering the nest by stealth. Does anyone know how much of the N5 will be left to improve by the time this stretch opens?

Probably a bit around Strokestown I'd imagine

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Enda & Ring feathering the nest by stealth. Does anyone know how much of the N5 will be left to improve by the time this stretch opens?

Strokestown to Ballaghadereen will still be in a generally woeful state. Search for "Tulsk" on this forum (if the search works) to see why it will be difficult to upgrade this too - lots of heritage sites adjoining the road, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Westport to castlebar both with no bypass. You also have frenchpark to strokestown and associated bypasses. Terrible roads there. Still they ain't too highly trafficked so with money scarce I can't see a good reason to do them before adare or cg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

serfboard wrote: »
    From Mid-West Radio:
    The Transport Minister Leo Varadker will travel to Ballaghadereen on Friday week next 2nd November to turn the sod on the new Ballaghadereen bypass – that’s according to Roscommon FG Deputy Frank Feighan. [...]
    He didn't come. :eek:

joujoujou wrote: »
    He didn't come. :eek:
    what did you expect... sure he has never passed the M50:rolleyes:

Unregistered Users

Did expect nothing, just informing. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Unregistered Users

Funny. Didn't see him. :o

Shame on me. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

joujoujou wrote: »
    Funny. Didn't see him. :o

Shame on me. :(

Well whether he did turn up or not, it's great to see a large new road project getting underway - 13.5km of standard single AFAIK! :)

With the above in mind, I guess all that's needed for now is a very simple bypass of Strokestown - it's virtually only a matter of straightening out the road - sure even a short section of reduced S2 would (with roundabouts either end) would do the job until the economy picks up.

PS. I haven't been very active on the roads front in recent times as I'm currently very busy with online chess tournaments - I've 14 games in progress ATM!

Unregistered Users

[...] all that's needed for now is a very simple bypass of Strokestown - it's virtually only a matter of straightening out the road - sure even a short section of reduced S2 would (with roundabouts either end) would do the job until the economy picks up.

[...]
    Oh yes, it'd be very simple, 1km to do. :D

226908.gif

Got a brochure from the National roads design office in Roscommon outlining the route from Ballaghaderreen to strokestown . Now this is a few years old and appears to be at stage 3 at the time "Route Corridor Selection"... Not sure how relevant it is but see attached details..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the archeology around Tulsk makes Strokestown - Ballagh too expensive. Better go Ballagh - Boyle and join the N4 as Westtip has tirelessly said. I never seem to get caught in Strokestown so I am not concerned about a short bypass there.

Advertisement