Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N5 Ballaghaderreen Bypass

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Are we any closer to getting a start date for this scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

spacetweek wrote: »
    Are we any closer to getting a start date for this scheme?

Tenders to be submitted end of next week, huge step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭macker16

who got the contract i wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

macker16 wrote: »
    who got the contract i wonder

if tenders have to be in by the end of this week, no one yet i guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Dear Mr. xxx

Thank you for your email of 13 June 2012 in relation to the above

The Ballaghaderreen Bypass Scheme is currently out to tender and it is anticipated that the Tender could be awarded in September / October 2012 with start of construction on site in October / Nov 2012.

Kind regards
    Olivia Morgan
    Programme & Regulatory Unit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

spacetweek wrote: »
    Dear Mr. xxx

Thank you for your email of 13 June 2012 in relation to the above

The Ballaghaderreen Bypass Scheme is currently out to tender and it is anticipated that the Tender could be awarded in September / October 2012 with start of construction on site in October / Nov 2012.

Kind regards
    Olivia Morgan
    Programme & Regulatory Unit

lovely time to start digging up fields, it will be a mudfest around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Tenders were submitted on Friday last. In the next couple of weeks they should be ready to appoint a contractor

any clue who got it ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

any clue who got it ?

If the tenders were submitted on Friday, nobody will know who got it, as nobody *has* got it yet.

down to 2 contractors at the moment wills and siac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

My money is on Wills Bros... longford done 2 months ahead of schudule... also they done the Charlestown bypass... I be very surprised if its not them Only up the road from there Home Base

id say you are right wills men around the last month

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mhaise

Waiting for wills to finish the longford bypass;)
    Good news, Wills have finished it two months before due date. Should speed things up now, was on it at weekend at peak time so it saved me 15 minutes at least. Good on the Wills Bros

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Any word off this project kicking off?

roadmaster wrote: »
    Any word off this project kicking off?
    Contract award in September. Should start shortly after.

Wills have got the contract.heard from a very good source

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The rest of the N5 is comprised of 2 large schemes.

Ballaghaderreen to Strokestown
    Bohola to Westport (described)

Neither will go to construction for many years.

Dont forget enda will help these along;)

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭unit 1

With castlebar dublin via m6 only 11 minutes more than using the n5 according to aa routeplanner, and the tuam gort even improving the situation with better acess to the m6 then the most important road in mayo is surely the castlebar claremorris road.
    This would allow one to drive cbar dublin going through only 2 towns, ballindine and milltown and the associated bad stretch between them.

Just think about that for a minute, castlebar, ballindine, milltown, dublin.
    This may be an affordable option while the n5 via carrick on shannon should probably win out eventually for more northerly traffic, and might even save on costs as westport castlebar bohola might not need to be a dc.

If ek is sensible he will know this but I'd only put it 50/50 that this route will win out on the day.

unit 1 wrote: »
    With castlebar dublin via m6 only 11 minutes more than using the n5 according to aa routeplanner, and the tuam gort even improving the situation with better acess to the m6 then the most important road in mayo is surely the castlebar claremorris road.
    This would allow one to drive cbar dublin going through only 2 towns, ballindine and milltown and the associated bad stretch between them.

Just think about that for a minute, castlebar, ballindine, milltown, dublin.
    This may be an affordable option while the n5 via carrick on shannon should probably win out eventually for more northerly traffic, and might even save on costs as westport castlebar bohola might not need to be a dc.

If ek is sensible he will know this but I'd only put it 50/50 that this route will win out on the day.
    From a previous post:
    Regarding future planning of the N5 into the west of Ireland
    Why was there never an feasibility study done to use the westerly route shown in the attached image in RED as the main single road into this region, instead of proceeding with all the bypasses of Swinford, Charlestown, Ballaghdereen, and now into Roscommon.

The section in Blue is already done or in the planning stage. The Proposed M17 marked in Green.

The proposed route shown starts on the M4 and finishing near Bohola or Ballyvary would serve all these places listed above but also provide quicker links for Westport, Castlebar, Ballina, Claremorris, Knock Airport, Ballyhaunis, Castlerea, Roscommon etc etc .

You would have a single road for this western region which using the population centres marked in green would give sufficient traffic volumes for a motorway. These population centres are dispersing onto M6, N5 and N4 through various routes, this could all be channelled to one road and allow the NRA to concentrate their resources.

I'd expect the cost differential would not be much more expensive that what the completing of the existing N5 would come to, especially once maintenance of a single road over many is added. The smaller towns would not need bypasses but smaller spur roads, to this main route.

It also removes the need for a new costly N60 from Castlebar - Claremorris.

• Advertisement

Wills have got the contract.heard from a very good source
    Hopefully they will get the M17/18 contract if its re-tendered. At least they will employ locally instead of having imported labour camps:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

When will constriction start?

end of sep

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

Has anyone heard anything about whens its to start and where will they start from, the charlestown side or the frenchpark side? I've heard rumours its going to take 2 1/2 years to finish pure bog they're going through?

Nothing signed yet

Do you mean the start date hasn't been announced yet?? was it not the in or around October the start date?

wills has come in with the lowest price but still no one picked for the contract

Did the Wills not get the job?? I was told by few lads who work for them they had got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Id say wills prob be the contractor but the lowest price isnt the only factor. Would this be wills biggest job as a main contractor on there own? I cat remember to many jobs they did over 10km in lenght not being a subie or in a jv? .I dont think work will start till at least november as halcrow who are the clients rep are only putting there team together and theres no sign of a compound anywhere unless its hidden off the main road

• Advertisement

roadmaster wrote: »
    Id say wills prob be the contractor but the lowest price isnt the only factor. Would this be wills biggest job as a main contractor on there own? I cat remember to many jobs they did over 10km in lenght not being a subie or in a jv? .I dont think work will start till at least november as halcrow who are the clients rep are only putting there team together and theres no sign of a compound anywhere unless its hidden off the main road

They did the Charlestown bypass, Ennis bypass etc

Advertisement