Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Massive jump in DOE test fees- RSA

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Its for you to PAY for the RSA's new big brother technology adventure.

Someone has to pay for the live CCTV links to Loughrea, the new computer IT systems, admin and transport officers, and who better than the customer?

It is a very belated kneejerk over-reaction to a number of accidents, 2 actually, Clara bus and Navan bus- according to the RSA's website.

Who decided was the RSA, then the Seanad, which had a "debate" on a number of issues of the proposed legislation and then without much ado signed off on it, as with every other law.

Take it up with your TD/Senator..........:rolleyes:

It's going to be very interesting to compare the First Presented Pass Rate prior to the introduction of all this compared to after...........

Plus, I am reliably informed that from now, if anything actually passes first time it is logged as suspicious by the RSA and passed on the Traffic Corp for attention should they come across it in the normal course of duty.

Says a lot about the RSA's faith in the VTN Doe system really.

So be content to fail, that's as long as you dont get a big "Fail-Dangerous" sticker put on the windscreen!

What kind of utter nonsense is this comment??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Plus, I am reliably informed that from now, if anything actually passes first time it is logged as suspicious by the RSA and passed on the Traffic Corp for attention should they come across it in the normal course of duty.
    corcaigh1 wrote: »
    What kind of utter nonsense is this comment??
    Can you inform what test centre this was so i can avoid the do gooder tester working there? I have a van that needs testing shortly..any recommendations of what centre to use?

Worried?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Amazing how €20 left by the drivers controls strangely disappears during a doe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Theres some nice doe centres still out there

My d-max webt theough in may and a reg plate bulb was out so they changed it and it passed . Didnt even charge me for the bulb . But thats about as much leeway as you get anymore, gone are the days with nearly bald tyres, smashed windscreens or severe body rust being overlooked .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ubs69

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Worried?

No mate, not at all. My own vehicle is tested and passed. You think the gardaí are going to waste there time stopping "1st time passed vehicles". Think about that now..makes no sense whatsoever and a complete waste of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

OOOPPPPPS, I forgot to turn off my dashcam.

If you've been fair an honest, they know how to put on a poker face.

TBH, it's horrendous the working conditions, these men have to work under.

I know two doe centres who have no cctv what so ever, one place where the money disappears has cctv inside the premises but not covering all the carpark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I know two doe centres who have no cctv what so ever, one place where the money disappears has cctv inside the premises but not covering all the carpark.

There is CCTV on all test lanes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

No mate, not at all. My own vehicle is tested and passed. You think the gardaí are going to waste there time stopping "1st time passed vehicles". Think about that now..makes no sense whatsoever and a complete waste of resources.

The point you are missing is that the attitude now being taken by the RSA is that everything is fair game, in other words, they trust no one, and a vehicle with some miles on the clock passing first time will raise a flag, probably more for HGVs and buses than private commercials admittedly.

This came from a tester.

They've also contracted to have the new regime administered by Bureau Veritas, who will police the test centres and vehicles and their owners:

http://www.mytenders.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=FEB405494

The point you are missing is that the attitude now being taken by the RSA is that everything is fair game, in other words, they trust no one, and a vehicle with some miles on the clock passing first time will raise a flag, probably more for HGVs and buses than private commercials admittedly.

This came from a tester.

They've also contracted to have the new regime administered by Bureau Veritas, who will police the test centres and vehicles and their owners:

http://www.mytenders.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=FEB405494

Ok. From what i understand any checks will be geared more so towards HGVs and Buses not LGVs. I believe the RSA will be doing spot checks on businesses to examine vehicles and records etc.

The RSA seem to be getting a bit too much power for my liking..

There is CCTV on all test lanes.

There is cctv on some test lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

The RSA and Gardaí do sometimes set up outside test centres to carry out random inspections.
    Iv never heard of that, sure the RSA inspectors are in every other week doing random checks, going over tests with testers ect. There are about 6 or 7 other test centres within 10 miles of our one and we haven't heard this from any of them

No, it is on every test lane, it was installed at the same time as the covas system in every centre in the country

You are wrong I'm afraid.

I did a test in a small van there a few years ago in the midlands. I hadn't gotten a mile from the test centre when I was stopped by Gardaí and RSA people. Maybe it was a coincidence?

Enforcement officers do random roadside checks as well as targeted checks .

On a side note,

How much does a PRE DOE test with NO oil and filters etc changed generally cost at an indie garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

On a side note,

How much does a PRE DOE test with NO oil and filters etc changed generally cost at an indie garage?

There is no point in doing one for 2 reasons.

1. You are likely to pay at least €50 when the cost of a retest is €43.58

2. The garage are not a doe centre, they done have the same equipment so cannot guarantee you a pass no matter how good they are.

Pre doe tests and pre not tests are a waist of money. Keep your vehicle maintained well, before the test check all your lights and levels ect and if it fails get the retest done

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I have my own theory on this.

There has been a long running scam in this country for where people used 'commercial' vehicles to drive around the place like private cars .. While availing of cheap commercial Road tax.

Government tried a couple of years ago to clamp down .. but that failed.

Is this their latest effort? .. bump up the price of annual DOE to narrow the advantage that Commercial vehicles had over private cars... I haven't done the actual detailed maths, but this is roughly it.

- Ford Focus car 1.6D- tax per year about €200 (plus NCT €55 after 4 years and then every two years)
    - Ford Focus Van 1.6D - Tax per year €133 (plus DOE €116 per year)

After 5 years .. cost for the Van €1245, cost for the car €1055

(the above scenario is for none VAT registered.. and of course vans are more expensive on Toll roads..not included )

Government has closed the loophole .... now it only makes sense to have a small commercial vehicle, if you actually need a commercial vehicle.

Big engined Jeeps will still be cheaper to run as a Commercial (for NOW !!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I have my own theory on this.

There has been a long running scam in this country for where people used 'commercial' vehicles to drive around the place like private cars .. While availing of cheap commercial Road tax.

Government tried a couple of years ago to clamp down .. but that failed.

Is this their latest effort? .. bump up the price of annual DOE to narrow the advantage that Commercial vehicles had over private cars... I haven't done the actual detailed maths, but this is roughly it.

- Ford Focus car 1.6D- tax per year about €200 (plus NCT €55 after 4 years and then every two years)
    - Ford Focus Van 1.6D - Tax per year €133 (plus DOE €116 per year)

After 5 years .. cost for the Van €1245, cost for the car €1055

(the above scenario is for none VAT registered.. and of course vans are more expensive on Toll roads..not included )

Government has closed the loophole .... now it only makes sense to have a small commercial vehicle, if you actually need a commercial vehicle.

Big engined Jeeps will still be cheaper to run as a Commercial (for NOW !!!!)

I think your figures are out there it is 333 to tax a commerical no matter what age once it's under 3.0t gvw. So going on that to tax and test a van for five years is 2245 euro. A for my views on the cvrt test it's harder to pass than the old doe but if the van is as it should be it will pass. I've never failed a test cvrt or doe.

---

Anyone I know with a commercial van used privately do so as they have dogs or else they are in the building game or similar and use the van privately after work.

In my eyes having no back seats is a fair ole price to pay to avail of potential cheaper motor tax.

Bpmull wrote: »
    I think your figures are out there it is 333 to tax a commerical no matter what age once it's under 3.0t gvw. So going on that to tax and test a van for five years is 2245 euro. A for my views on the cvrt test it's harder to pass than the old doe but if the van is as it should be it will pass. I've never failed a test cvrt or doe.

Actually you are correct. Commercial tax is €333. (my mistake). Which makes the argument even more compelling... for using a private car instead of a car based van.

Only big ole oil burners with high Co2 output and pay tax of €600-€700+ per annum make sense to have as commercial vehicles anymore

Augeo wrote: »
    Anyone I know with a commercial van used privately do so as they have dogs or else they are in the building game or similar and use the van privately after work.

In my eyes having no back seats is a fair ole price to pay to avail of potential cheaper motor tax.

Well, I think its the government who see this as a scam .. personally I have a commercialized jeep.. and pay commercial tax. But have no choice but to use it privately as well as for work.. as its my only vehicle. But the madness is .. I am breaking the law.

It really doesn't make any sense having different testing rules for car-vans and commercial 4x4's. They should really just be going down the NCT route or at the very least getting a 2 year DOE same as their passenger versions get a 2 year nct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

On average , commercials do a much higher mileage and I think that's the rationale for testing them annaully

Yes and no!

A little history.

The FAULT lies securely with the licensing authorities who did NOT FOLLOW existing rules.

So the biggest 4x4 bought for the school runs with a TAX liability in the thousands is offered commercial TAX if asked for.

Soon it emerges that ANYONE who presents a jeep or van can TAX it commercially, NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

This was not a scam, it was the fault of a licensing authority in Dublin not getting the appropriate forms verification for business usage.

But nonetheless, it soon emerges that ALL licensing authorities were giving out commercial TAX willie nillie to all and sundry.

Now as this went on we had a few changes of Government so a minister who who had been in nappies when the rules were broken by the licensing authorities did NOT know that procedure had been broken so he stepped in with new legislation, which, just so happens to be the same as the existing but ignored legislation.

IE, one always had to prove a business use for a commercial vehicle for TAX. The punters simple asking for commercial TAX should have been asked to provide the necessary forms signed and notorised as necessary, but they were not so asked.

It was not a scam.

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    On average , commercials do a much higher mileage and I think that's the rationale for testing them annaully

Weight. Heavy wear and tear.

Commercials are more tools and usually abused, over loaded driven in farmyards and building sites parked on uneven ground and bounced up and off high pavements and often driven at maximum velocity ~ even my owners and drivers who love their machines.

Advertisement