Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

joining the us marines

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

feeney92 wrote: »
    if u apply for a green card nd tell them u would join the marines then they will more than likely give it to you, only problem is, there more likely t put non citizens in the **** than their own...think about that

In my opinion the Immigration and Naturalisation Service will not give 2 sh1ts about an applicant for a Green card saying they will join the military.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

feeney92 wrote: »
    if u apply for a green card nd tell them u would join the marines then they will more than likely give it to you, only problem is, there more likely t put non citizens in the **** than their own...think about that
    Not true.
    It is lottery draw and they only care about you being able to support yourself financially and not sponging of social welfare.they don't care if you're a citizen or not,they'll put you where they need you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

they only care about you being able to support yourself financially and not sponging of social welfare

Does the USA have social welfare ? Any American I asked about it doesn't seem to know but has a vague idea that the homeless in San Fran at least can get something. To explain their ignorance perhaps my relatives in the USA never had to claim it or else are deeply ashamed of it if they ever had (probably the former in the majority if at all). I'd love to see a web link explaining it so I could compare it to here. I notice a lot of newly homeless are living in their cars over there. Do they get anything apart from charity ?

psychward wrote: »
    Does the USA have social welfare ? Any American I asked about it doesn't seem to know but has a vague idea that the homeless in San Fran at least can get something. To explain their ignorance perhaps my relatives in the USA never had to claim it or else are deeply ashamed of it if they ever had (probably the former in the majority if at all). I'd love to see a web link explaining it so I could compare it to here. I notice a lot of newly homeless are living in their cars over there. Do they get anything apart from charity ?
    Quick google found this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare#United_States

Has anyone here ever been in the USMC?

• Advertisement

Mystified as to why you have posted this question in the Military forum :confused:
    Anyway , yes , the US Federal Government operates an unemployment insurance scheme ( payments though have time limit ) as well as the Food Stamps programme and other social security supports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I went over to Boston in 2006 visiting my friend working over there on a H1-B visa. Marine recruiters approached us one day and gave us a 15 minute sales pitch on the Marines. We couldn't get a word in edge ways. At the end we just blurted out that we weren't US citizens so we couldn't join. Their reply was 'no problem'. They were talking out their holes though. Millions of people apply for the green card lottery every year, I'm sure if the Marines wanted to they could fill their recruiting requirements with immigrants. There would be no shortage of people willing to serve for US citizenship or residency.

Delancey wrote: »
    Mystified as to why you have posted this question in the Military forum :confused:

I wanted to see if the concern about welfare sponging was valid. If no welfare exists then it's less valid. Plus really after spending some time in the US I came across a lot of ''homeless'' begging people on the streets. I remember at least one was in a wheelchair wearing a dozen medals. A few seemed to use some claim that they were veterans to gain sympathy. I wondered also if vets get some kind of pension or were many of these homeless veterans fake ? Do many of them really end up with nothing when they leave the army ? I found it made me question this idea or mantra of ''support the troops'' and what do people think it means exactly if some of them have psychiatric problems etc or even injuries from serving their country and don't get the help they need. I'd like to know what the case is.

I went over to Boston in 2006 visiting my friend working over there on a H1-B visa. Marine recruiters approached us one day and gave us a 15 minute sales pitch on the Marines. We couldn't get a word in edge ways. At the end we just blurted out that we weren't US citizens so we couldn't join. Their reply was 'no problem'. They were talking out their holes though. Millions of people apply for the green card lottery every year, I'm sure if the Marines wanted to they could fill their recruiting requirements with immigrants. There would be no shortage of people willing to serve for US citizenship or residency.
    Bit off-topic,read awhile ago that the marines have the least problems recruiting wise,of all the U.S. Armed forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I wanted to see if the concern about welfare sponging was valid. If no welfare exists then it's less valid. Plus really after spending some time in the US I came across a lot of ''homeless'' begging people on the streets. I remember at least one was in a wheelchair wearing a dozen medals. A few seemed to use some claim that they were veterans to gain sympathy. I wondered also if vets get some kind of pension or were many of these homeless veterans fake ? Do many of them really end up with nothing when they leave the army ? I found it made me question this idea or mantra of ''support the troops'' and what do people think it means exactly if some of them have psychiatric problems etc or even injuries from serving their country and don't get the help they need. I'd like to know what the case is.

I've seen homeless veterans in the US but I think generally the US takes good care them. I think to get help you have to want the help in the first place. If you're disabled in the performance of your duties you would probably get some kind of pension. Then you have all the VA hospitals as well. I think you can get opportunities to go to university for cheaper after serving. A lot of shops offer discounts to veterans.

Veterans seem very respected in the US, I think you would be very unpopular if you bad mouthed them. During Vietnam a lot of people attacked the war and its veterans. Now it seems to have changed, people might not agree with Iraq and Afghanistan but they will still respect those that served there. I went to mass one evening in Pearl River in New York. There were pictures of all the locals kids in Iraq and Afghanistan in the church and at the end of mass there were special prayers for them.
    Bit off-topic,read awhile ago that the marines have the least problems recruiting wise,of all the U.S. Armed forces.

I'd believe it too, I guess it has that whole prestige thing about it. I don't think any of the Armed forces has trouble recruiting. They were able to get through Iraq and Afghanistan without drafting anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Not even a prestige thing. The Marines just have a more appealing pitch.

It's one of my gripes, I can't recall the last time I saw an Army advert which actually implied you might have to go shoot someone or do something tough. The Marines, on the other hand, they have a slightly more dramatic sales pitch.

At least the very latest Army adverts actually imply you can feel good about yourself, as opposed to 'What will the Army do for me?'

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

It is lottery draw

Is it really though? I know they say it is, but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Back in 1995 when I was completing my leaving cert I had the exact same ambition. Always wanted to be part of the few and the proud. I did my research and knew how tough the training would be but it was my mothers reaction that eventually put paid to the idea. She was devastated with my career choice and cried a lot. I couldnt do it to her and gave up on it. Now I am a factory worker and whilst I know I am very lucky to be employed I feel like I have achieved nothing or done anything meaningful. In 95 I contacted a marine recruiter and explained my situation. I was told in no uncertain terms that I would be very welcome to try out for the marines. A green card was required but the recruiter said that the corps could fasttrack it no bother. Not sure if that would still be the case since 911 but it would be worth checking out if your definitely serious about it. Best of luck with your decision

Thats a really sad post. Its as if as well as giving up on the marines you also gave up on doing anything to be proud about.

Is it really though? I know they say it is, but...

Yes.There are more winners then visas (to cover people who back out etc during the interview stages) but if you get selected,there is a good chance you'll get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Yes.There are more winners then visas (to cover people who back out etc during the interview stages) but if you get selected,there is a good chance you'll get it.

No, what I mean is... is it really random selection? They ask a lot of personal questions (e.g. highest education level) which seem irrelevant if the selection process is truly random.

I have no evidence for this of course, but I highly doubt something as sensitive as giving people a visa would really be left to a random lottery.

But who cares, this is off topic.

No, what I mean is... is it really random selection? They ask a lot of personal questions (e.g. highest education level) which seem irrelevant if the selection process is truly random.

I have no evidence for this of course, but I highly doubt something as sensitive as giving people a visa would really be left to a random lottery.

But who cares, this is off topic.

Thats because there are minimum requirements,high school graduate or equivalent,or work experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

got the same sales pitch from an army recruiter. didnt seem to care i wasnt a citizen. im assuming they get some sort of commission and by the time you get rejected for not being a citizen theyve been paid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

c-90 wrote: »
    got the same sales pitch from an army recruiter. didnt seem to care i wasnt a citizen. im assuming they get some sort of commission and by the time you get rejected for not being a citizen theyve been paid?
    They think your bull****ting them so they try to double bluff you expecting that once you see all the spoof benifits they offer that you'll fess up to being a citizen

Is there an age limit to joining the Marines/US Army for someone who has a few degrees in Engineering ? Just curious.

Yes, but it's pretty high, by Irish standards. 36, I think.

Higher, for the reserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Not even a prestige thing. The Marines just have a more appealing pitch.

It's one of my gripes, I can't recall the last time I saw an Army advert which actually implied you might have to go shoot someone or do something tough. The Marines, on the other hand, they have a slightly more dramatic sales pitch.

At least the very latest Army adverts actually imply you can feel good about yourself, as opposed to 'What will the Army do for me?'

NTM

Think it was Truman who said something along the lines That

The Marines are a PR agency with an army

Think it was Truman who said something along the lines That

The Marines are a PR agency with an army

Harry Truman did NOT like the US Marine Corps and he seriously considered abolishing it in the downsizing of the US military following WW2.
    He once called them '' the Navy's Police ''.

Truman had served as an artillery officer in the Army in WW1 , apparently when he first tried to join , the medical board laughed at him for his eyesight which was very poor throughout his life. The story goes that Truman went away and learnt the Snellen eye chart by heart ;)

Is there an age limit to joining the Marines/US Army for someone who has a few degrees in Engineering ? Just curious.

First off if you're really interested,find the brilliant thread on the DV lottery on boards.ie.
    The army would be good,in my opinion for engineering if you want to work in a degree related MOS (military occupational specialty).
    Age waivers are available in the USMC,but for men and women active duty the age is 17-29.
    Reserves:Same.
    Army 35 maximum age.

Apparently people who have prior service in non-U.S. armed forces cannot enlist in the U.S. armed forces.Can someone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Aussie201

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnKPpNArrdg

Motivation to the max! If you do join the USMC OP I'm sure it will be a career that will bring you much respect!

Apparently people who have prior service in non-U.S. armed forces cannot enlist in the U.S. armed forces.Can someone confirm this?

Nobody told my recruiter that.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

syklops wrote: »
    Back in 1995 when I was completing my leaving cert I had the exact same ambition. Always wanted to be part of the few and the proud. I did my research and knew how tough the training would be but it was my mothers reaction that eventually put paid to the idea. She was devastated with my career choice and cried a lot. I couldnt do it to her and gave up on it. Now I am a factory worker and whilst I know I am very lucky to be employed I feel like I have achieved nothing or done anything meaningful. In 95 I contacted a marine recruiter and explained my situation. I was told in no uncertain terms that I would be very welcome to try out for the marines. A green card was required but the recruiter said that the corps could fasttrack it no bother. Not sure if that would still be the case since 911 but it would be worth checking out if your definitely serious about it. Best of luck with your decision

Thats a really sad post. Its as if as well as giving up on the marines you also gave up on doing anything to be proud about.
    I did not give up as such.....very happily married and built a house. But yeah I regret my decision every day.I know you have people saying ''you could have died'' but I suppose its just that I never got to follow up on my dream. I don't feel proud about anything in my life now to be honest. Happy yes....proud and content with my career....no. I always had a leaning towards the military, never wanted to do anything else. I comfort myself with the knowledge that I probably would never had met my lovely wife had I gone to the corps. Ah well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Just to inform the op that sky news is reporting obamas new strategy for the us military is to cut back on the overall size of the army and Marine corps and concentrate future investment on airforce navy i.e. more ships and planes to secure air and sea domination. Not sure how much that will affect your decision but see how you go.

Just to inform the op that sky news is reporting obamas new strategy for the us military is to cut back on the overall size of the army and Marine corps and concentrate future investment on airforce navy i.e. more ships and planes to secure air and sea domination. Not sure how much that will affect your decision but see how you go.

He will only be affected if he goes into a "niche" area,i.e. PR,research or something like the army band.

• Advertisement

Nobody told my recruiter that.

NTM

But it seems to show up quite often whenever I do any serious research into it.:confused:

Advertisement