Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

joining the us marines

Options
  • 21-11-2011 10:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

anyone else on here thinking about joining the marines ive been thinking about it for ages and my minds made up my mates and my family think im nuts also has anyone gone through the recruitment process and the training thats on here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

You'll be needing a green card before you even try to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I don't want to piss on your parade, but do you even know what's involved in the application process before you join? No point getting your hopes up to realize it mightn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

anyone else on here thinking about joining the marines ive been thinking about it for ages and my minds made up my mates and my family think im nuts also has anyone gone through the recruitment process and the training thats on here

You must first get a green card.

And to get one of those you'd usually have to get a degree or a trade that's in demand in the US.

I think you also must have someone in the US to sponsor your application for a green card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Green card, green card. Apply for the annual Visa lottery unless you have a close relative who is a citizen.

There are no shortcuts around that one.

You've fallen at the first hurdle, I'm afraid.

It still amazes how many people still think going to America is as a simple as going to Britain. Illegal aliens are not recruited into the Marine Corps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭hangedhitman

my uncle is a nanthrualised citizen in the states same with a aunt and im doing a computer design degree in college at the moment so that may help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

my uncle is a nanthrualised citizen in the states same with a aunt and im doing a computer design degree in college at the moment so that may help

Your uncle being a citizen won't help you as far as I know. You would have to have a blood relative who is a citizen to help you get a green card (Mother, Father, Brother, Sister)
    Other than that your best option is to go onto the US gov website and read all the info you can on becoming a citizen and see what avenue you can take.
    You can apply for the visa lottery too. You just missed the deadline this year but you can apply next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

Firstly one thing you should be aware of RECRUITERS ARE LIARS

Most people don't realise that your standard enlistment period is actually 8 years, your options are as below
    3 years regular - 5 years reserves
    4 years regular - 4 years reserves
    5 years regular - 3 years reserves
    8 years Regular
    Be sure that you know what you're letting yourself in for. As a non citizen a lot of doors are closed to you including Officer candidate School.

If you enlist west of the Mississippi you will go to MCRD San Diego and when you're finished Bootcamp you "Go north" to SOI (School of Infantry) in camp Pendleton if you're chosen to be 0311 Infantry. Then when that's completed you'll be a fully fledged "Hollywood Marine" and you'll most likely be sent to the 1st Marine division "The old breed" and you'll be stationed in camp San Mateo a smaller camp within camp Pendleton

If you enlist east of the Mississippi you go to the legendary MCRD Parris Island in South Carolina and then on to SOI in Camp Lejeune in North Carolina and you will probably go on to the 2nd Marine Division

Each option has it's pros and cons, Camp pendleton has hundreds of hills for you to hump. Camp Lejeune has swamps and millions of skeeters for you to enjoy.

You may also be sent to the 3rd Marine Division in Japan, but that's not very likely.

You will be pushed to and beyond your physical, mental and emotional limits you will need to be in a very good physical condition. Even if you are in superb physical condition you may not be able to hack it, especially the dreaded Crucible. You will grow very familiar with the "Forward leaning rest position" as pushups are known.
    If you can't hack the fitness level, you will be sent to a physical rehabilitation platoon the "Porkchop" or "Donut" platoon. If you think recruit training is hard, then pray to God that you're never sent to one of these platoons.

You will then be a Marine. you will be sent to Iraq and Afganistan. Note that I said Iraq AND Afganistan. Marines are bearing the brunt of America's war. Marines on a 4 year enlistment can look forward to 3 overseas deployments. Hopefully all combat troops will be out of Iraq soon but Afganistan will continue for many years to come.

If you see combat you may be killed or maimed, you WILL suffer years of PTSD nightmares and severe disassociation syndrome. You need to examine your motives for doing this, it will change your life and the change may not be for the better.
    Even if you survive and are discharged once your enlistment is up, statistically once Veterens become civilians again, they are more likely to be incarcerated for violent offences, they are more likely to develop an addiction to alcohol or drugs and they are more likely to get divorced and have difficulty developing long term relationships and finally they are more likely to become homeless

Oh and I forgot that the basic pay rate for a brand spanking new Marine is roughly $1500 per month, pretty crappy for a college graduate

Consider carefully what you want to do.

Good luck -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

OP I'd have given my left nut for the opportunity to apply Hoo Rah!!! There's a very good book called 'The Green Marine'. It's about an Irish guy who was living in America round the time of 911 and he became, well...a marine.

Unfortunately things have changed since 911. My former boss and his friend were approached by a recruitment agent while on the J1 years ago. They explained they were on a visa and he told them not to worry about that. My boss didn't join but his mate was admitted and ended up in the first desert storm.

How they made sure he got a green card I don't know. I always imagined The US would be well off introducing a system similar to France whereby a non-citizen is admitted to the military and issued residency upon completion of (I think five years) service.

Does becoming a Royal Marine interest you at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I always imagined The US would be well off introducing a system similar to France whereby a non-citizen is admitted to the military and issued residency upon completion of (I think five years) service.

when I did a J1 a few years ago I saw a group of marines get sworn in publicly as citizens on telly . My American cousin said they got citizenship after 5 years service or something like that. Its not true ?

psychward wrote: »
    when I did a J1 a few years ago I saw a group of marines get sworn in publicly as citizens on telly . My American cousin said they got citizenship after 5 years service or something like that. Its not true ?
    OK well that's interesting. I don't know to be honest. I didn't hear about that but if your cousin said it perhaps he knows best.

I remember from the book I suggested that when the author was asked at the embassy why he wanted a green card he said he wanted to be a marine. He didn't mention if he was offered any deal like you mentioned and even though he got his green card he found work as a barman and volunteer fireman until the 911 attacks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

MyKeyG wrote: »
    OK well that's interesting. I don't know to be honest. I didn't hear about that but if your cousin said it perhaps he knows best.

This particular cousin is in his 70s and was in the US Army during the cold war . I'd guess theres a good chance he could be right but then again the system could have changed since he left..maybe they just got citizenship the normal way after holding a green card for long enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seanmacc

Jonah42 wrote: »
    You'll be needing a green card before you even try to join.

Not necessarily.

When it comes to getting recruits for the army and marines they have been known to be able to bend the immigration law to get you in. Bear in mind though that your sevice will not garauntee you citizenship, they may extend your service longer to get you the citizenship.

When I lived there a couple of years ago the recruiters in the local mall would promise you the sun, moon and stars. They said they could fast track my green card application if I enlisted. The recruiters are on bonuses for enlisting people though.

Why would you want to enlist anyway. Do you not realise there's a few unpopular wars going on as well as one or two in the making

seanmacc wrote: »
    Not necessarily.

When it comes to getting recruits for the army and marines they have been known to be able to bend the immigration law to get you in. Bear in mind though that your sevice will not garauntee you citizenship, they may extend your service longer to get you the citizenship.

When I lived there a couple of years ago the recruiters in the local mall would promise you the sun, moon and stars. They said they could fast track my green card application if I enlisted. The recruiters are on bonuses for enlisting people though.

Why would you want to enlist anyway. Do you not realise there's a few unpopular wars going on as well as one or two in the making
    Unpopularity is a matter of common, not personal, opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Back in 1995 when I was completing my leaving cert I had the exact same ambition. Always wanted to be part of the few and the proud. I did my research and knew how tough the training would be but it was my mothers reaction that eventually put paid to the idea. She was devastated with my career choice and cried a lot. I couldnt do it to her and gave up on it. Now I am a factory worker and whilst I know I am very lucky to be employed I feel like I have achieved nothing or done anything meaningful. In 95 I contacted a marine recruiter and explained my situation. I was told in no uncertain terms that I would be very welcome to try out for the marines. A green card was required but the recruiter said that the corps could fasttrack it no bother. Not sure if that would still be the case since 911 but it would be worth checking out if your definitely serious about it. Best of luck with your decision

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

+1 for the Green Marine by Graham Dale about an Irishman over in the US on a Green Card who enlists as a marine.
    Excellent read and it'd have some useful info for you.

IIRC, there's a holdover from the Bush era where if you're enlisted you can immediately apply for citizenship. It was something I came across a couple of years ago so I dunno if this is still the case or even if I remember it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭trendyvicar

Once again - killing and/or dieing for another man's cause. How strange. It seems to me that countless young men in Ireland have been subtly brain washed by the cinema etc into seeing war as generally worthwhile. What achievement is it to join The US armed forces and end up possibly dead or crippled in some foreign war, that generally achieves f*ck all in practice (Afghanistan?) or that is actually a defeat (Vietnam?). Why is such a scenario attractive? I'm actually interested in reading any convincing arguement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Once again - killing and/or dieing for another man's cause. How strange. It seems to me that countless young men in Ireland have been subtly brain washed by the cinema etc into seeing war as generally worthwhile. What achievement is it to join The US armed forces and end up possibly dead or crippled in some foreign war, that generally achieves f*ck all in practice (Afghanistan?) or that is actually a defeat (Vietnam?). Why is such a scenario attractive? I'm actually interested in reading any convincing arguement...

The forum says "military".
    If you don't like what military do, why are you here, other than to troll?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Very interesting post MajorMax,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Or how about the notion of joining the US armed forces based on the fact that they helped defeat fascism in europe, participate in countless UN peacekeeping missions (which as far as I can see goes greatly unappreciated) and effectively put alqaeda on the back foot and sent their leader to his watery grave? Anyway thats a debate for another day or possibly the political forum.... Some lads want do something with their lives that doesn't involve sitting at a desk all day or pressing buttons on a machine. That was my own view point back in the day anyway for what its worth...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭hangedhitman

i havent been brainwashed mate ive alyways want to join any military and ive not been brainwashed and its up to me and me alone if i want to join the marines and as for dieing if you go off peacekeeping with the defence forces you have just as much of a chance of dieing or haveing to kill someone and as for afghanistan it has become a better place the taliban dont take women to a stadium and chop their heads off and the people have more free will now then they did before

• Advertisement

The forum says "military".
    If you don't like what military do, why are you here, other than to troll?

You've answered a question that nobody's asked. I have no problem with people fighting for their own country. You can answer the question I did ask - unless you're just trolling?

i havent been brainwashed mate ive alyways want to join any military and ive not been brainwashed and its up to me and me alone if i want to join the marines and as for dieing if you go off peacekeeping with the defence forces you have just as much of a chance of dieing or haveing to kill someone and as for afghanistan it has become a better place the taliban dont take women to a stadium and chop their heads off and the people have more free will now then they did before

The Taliban will be part of any settlement. They'll form part of the government I suspect, alongside their kinsmen in other parties. Women will return to their previous role. This will happen within the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

I also want to join the the U.S. Armed Forces (USAF) and have done a great deal of research into it.
    Here's what I found.
    The basic requirement for non-U.S. citizens (bar a few linguistics positions) is a green card.This is for all branches.You would then be classed as an illegal immigrant.This would make getting U.S. citizenship nearly impossible.
    The recruiter is lying to you.Regardless of what he/she said.They have monthly quotas which they have to meet.
    Get a green card first so you can get citizenship later to stay there permanently or advance your military career.

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I too have heard stories of outlandish promises made by US Military recruiters like telling recruits its easy to get to Officer Candidate School.
    The promises to fast track Green cards is a new one on me though - the recruitment websites all spell out clearly that the military will NOT sponsor Green card applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

i applied, aced asvab, did ****e on fitness, recruiter said everything was cool, then rang and said J1 wasn't good enough, and woudlnt help with getting green card

their entrance intelligence test is honestly similar to the secondary schools entrance exam

spagboll wrote: »
    i applied, aced asvab, did ****e on fitness, recruiter said everything was cool, then rang and said J1 wasn't good enough, and woudlnt help with getting green card

their entrance intelligence test is honestly similar to the secondary schools entrance exam

I cannot imagine how annoyed you must have been.

Anything a recruiter has said or promised to you MUST have in writing forit to have any effect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So what we've established is that the OP has no chance unless he wins the green card lottery.

So what we've established is that the OP has no chance unless he wins the green card lottery.

Possibly.
    There was (and probably still are) some increasingly desperate Recruiters who "change" if you will, certain information.
    All he has to do is get to basic.The U.S. Army/Marine Corps probably won't look into him unless he does something stupid.
    Wether it's worth the risk is really up to him/her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement