Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CM Punk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

krudler wrote: »
    Fair play to him I say, all the whinging (even when he's right to) in the world won't send a message like walking out will. (If it's not all a work)

walking out won't change a thing, if austin walking out didn't change anything then punk walking out won't either. wwe have bigger fish to fry in 2014 than cm punk ie the network and their tv deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Yeah, you would imagine Punk is the very one who won't be afraid to comment publically...

I'd say Punk is letting his walk out get out there nationally & internationally, then he'll probably tweet something

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭mikey13

You can't say tough luck to someone who doesn't need the hassle or bull****, Punks wrestling because he wants to not because he needs to.. Punk like most people has the right to quit if he's unhappy in his workplace most people don't be because of money he doesn't have to worry about that

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I'd probably be in the minority in thinking Punk is being a bit of an unprofessional douche. The WWE owe him nothing. They gave him a WWE title reign which is one of the most impressive (how long was it) in the modern era. Comparable to the crap Bryan has dealt with in his tenure Punk has had it quite easy.

Yeah headlining WM is a dream but like everything it's all about timing. HHH/Punk would be nice but HHH/Bryan at the mo is perfect.

It must be killer for the ever presents to have the part timers becoming more frequent but it's a case of tough luck.

I agree. He held the title for a record number of days, faced The Rock and Brock Lesnar and he got to take on The Undertaker at WM.

I think he has to look at himself as well because in recent months he's just been going through the motions.

Didn't the WWE give him a tour bus as well?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ShagNastii wrote: »
    The WWE owe him nothing. They gave him a WWE title reign which is one of the most impressive (how long was it) in the modern era.

I wouldn't call it impressive at all, no more than I think Ambrose's current 7 month US reign has been impressive.

For a large chunk of Punk's reign, he was largely left in the midcard with little in way of storyline. If your sole way of judging a title reign is length, then your right. But in terms of quality over quantity, it wasn't spectacular.

For me, Punk comes across as the 2nd hardest working person they've got (behind Cena), and gets some of the top reactions. You can put him in a feud with nearly anyone and get great matches and angles. So, in my opinion, he deserves to be right up the top of the card come Mania time.

I look forward to interviews, twitter posts, etc that give more detail. But if it is based on Mania position or how useless creative are when it comes to putting one of their top stars into a top story, then I am fully behind Punk. Between this and the fans ****ing all over the Rumble, it's about time there was a bit of a revolt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

This is a work. Punk leaving. The Mick Foley baseball bat stuff. Something doesnt smell right....

Add in all the media coverage, blogs, forum talk this will generate.

Punk is gonna come out of this a bigger star than the Summer of Punk II....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Whatever is going on, hopefully we see Punk back soon. With out him and Bryan near the top of things, the product is unbelievably stale. I would say the fans are already bored of Batistas incredibly underwhelming comeback. Turn him heel and have Punk and/or chasing him as champion and you might have something. otherwise the while thing stinks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Whatever is going on, hopefully we see Punk back soon. With out him and Bryan near the top of things, the product is unbelievably stale. I would say the fans are already bored of Batistas incredibly underwhelming comeback. Turn him heel and have Punk and/or chasing him as champion and you might have something. otherwise the while thing stinks

As someone else said 3 hour Raws have now gotten a lot longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,081 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Nothing from JR, Mick Foley or Stone Cold as of yet, also nothing on TMZ. Looks real to me and everyone seems to be keeping away from commenting although it has only gone 9am in New York so it may be 6pm here before any of these start to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

If this isn't the work to end all works, then not just Vince but the board in general of the WWE need to take a step back and take a look at themselves. This is probably one of their worst weeks in recent memory publicity wise and it's all their own doing. Fans will only stick by a bull**** product for so long. And they always need to remember that nobody is too big to fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Cant say I'm surprised. He hasnt looked at all interested in months now. He seems to only be willing to put the effort in when he gets a big spot out of it. Despite that, it's a very childish thing to do assuming it is legit. WWE have given him almost everything in recent years. Longest title reign since Hulk Hogan, a shot at the Streak, one of the very people to face the Rock, one of the few to face Brock Lesnar (and the only guy to face both), constantly involved with the likes of Cena, longest time in the Rumble this year, etc. The only thing he hasnt gotten is a Rumble win and closing Wrestlemania. He got a co-main event last year, though. He has gotten more than pretty much anyone else on the roster, despite his attitude.

If this isn't the work to end all works, then not just Vince but the board in general of the WWE need to take a step back and take a look at themselves. This is probably one of their worst weeks in recent memory publicity wise and it's all their own doing. Fans will only stick by a bull**** product for so long. And they always need to remember that nobody is too big to fail.

I said it after the Rumble, but they are lucky they have no serious competition. If this was the late 90's or if TNA were anywhere close, they would be in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ive woken up to this! Wowsers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭glenjamin

As much as I like Punk he is an egotistical, obnoxious, dick. He can feel aggrieved all he wants about Batista and Orton getting a main event spot at Mania for the title. Everybody does. There's isn't a wrestling fan out there that wants to see that match. However having said that he needs to realize that not everything is about him.

Cena has main evented the last 3 Mania's, yet this year he's being tossed into a feud with a midcarder and flavour of the month in Bray Wyatt. I think it's safe to say Cena won't be in the main event this year but does he complain about it? No! Cena knows he's had his turn, now it's somebody else's, and his turn will come again. Punk had his chance. He held the title for over a year, wrestled for it at Mania albeit not the main event, got the chance to wrestle Cena, Rock, Lesnar, and Taker (at Mania), and now he's dropped down the pecking order in order to give someone else their opportunity.

The attitude of Punk's is that he expects to main event every PPV, and be involved in all the hottest angles. He's not the main man. Cena is. During the Attitude Era Austin and Rock were the main guys. Wrestlers like Taker and Triple H, as big and as good as they were, always played second fiddle to them. Despite that Taker and Triple H still had their opportunities. They still got titles and main evented PPVs, but no matter what they always knew that Austin and Rock were always going to be ahead of them. Taker and Trips were still huge names and important figures in the WWE but they knew their place yet continued to work hard and do what they did best. Austin and Rock were bigger draws, sold more merchandise, and were bigger stars. Go 15 years in the future and replace Austin with Cena, and Taker with Punk. Still not the worst spot to be in if your CM Punk I think.

Yea WWE should be doing things differently in mine and a lot of other's opinions but they're not. It's their call. If they want the main event of Wrestlemania to bomb by having Boreton take on Bootista then so be it. It's their decision, not mine, and certainly not CM Punk's. They're the ones who will suffer from it if the buyrates aren't great, and the reaction to it after is a negative one.

Only a week ago did Punk say in an interview that his contract is up in July and he doesn't know if he'll stay on. What kind of answer is that from one of your top stars? You give him the world yet he can't even commit his future to the company, instead making out during an interview that he owes the WWE nothing and they owe him everything. In other words "they'll be lucky if I sign". What more does he want? And if he leaves where will he go? Back to ROH on a tiny fraction of the money he's on now? To TNA where compared to WWE creative is a joke? Will he get his tour bus and ice cream bars there?

Fcuk him.

According to Pwinsider.com, CM Punk has been pulled from all advertising of WWE live events going forward after a meeting with WWE management at Monday's WWE Raw tapings. Punk is under contract until July, but the feeling right now is that he is no longer factored into the company's plans moving forward. The plan was to work towards a CM Punk vs. Triple H match at WrestleMania 30, but not it seems as if WWE may slide Daniel Bryan into that slot.

Some sources have stated that the original script for Monday's Raw called for Punk to wrestle Antonio Cesaro and lose after Kane interfered in an Elimination Chamber Qualifying match. Other sources claim that he was not scheduled to wrestle, but instead say he was booked to do a promo that would follow up on Kane causing his elimination from the Rumble. Either way Punk was booked for Raw, but was not backstage for the show or at Smackdown.

The feeling is that the late re-writes for the show on Monday were because Punk had informed the company he was going home and wouldn't be back. Word is that this is not an injury situation, but instead a case of burnout and unhappiness with the overall direction of the company. Punk had been very vocal in the past about the usage of returning and "part time" stars being pushed beyond wrestlers who were working full-time for the company.

During a recent interview with Ariel Hewani, Punk spoke about working the crazy WWE schedule, and only ever taking time off for injuries. Punk worked over 50-minutes in Sunday's Royal Rumble match, and was described as being "pissy" backstage. But some has said that this is not unusual for him.

Another source noted that Punk's last goal was to work a WrestleMania main event, and that it may be a situation where Punk realized it wasn't going to happen this year and with his WWE deal expiring and him being so goal oriented, it may have weighed him down when he realized it would not happen.

Also during the Ariel Hewani interview, Punk was asked about WWE killing his momentum at times and why such things happen and stated that he'd like to think they don't make those decisions on purpose and it's more they wanted to go in another decision and that it was a different era.

Blame The Rock :p

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I wouldn't call it impressive at all, no more than I think Ambrose's current 7 month US reign has been impressive.

For a large chunk of Punk's reign, he was largely left in the midcard with little in way of storyline. If your sole way of judging a title reign is length, then your right. But in terms of quality over quantity, it wasn't spectacular.

For me, Punk comes across as the 2nd hardest working person they've got (behind Cena), and gets some of the top reactions. You can put him in a feud with nearly anyone and get great matches and angles. So, in my opinion, he deserves to be right up the top of the card come Mania time.

I look forward to interviews, twitter posts, etc that give more detail. But if it is based on Mania position or how useless creative are when it comes to putting one of their top stars into a top story, then I am fully behind Punk. Between this and the fans ****ing all over the Rumble, it's about time there was a bit of a revolt...

Agree, Punk has more than earned his spot by being consistently one of the strongest performers on the roster.

HHH and Batista have no place headlining Mania in this day and age. Orton/Batista is probably the match I'd like to see the least.

Bryan and Punk should have just asked to fight each other on the card and completely stole the show, face vs face for the internet's love :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

On the topic in hand, if Punk did leave for real (the fact it wasn't mentioned on Raw makes be believe he did) then both WWE and Punk must be loving the mainstream media attention. If anyone knows how to turn any publicity into a positive, it's Vince; so I'd say he'd be inviting Punk back in time for WrestleMania.

glenjamin wrote: »
    Cena has main evented the last 3 Mania's, yet this year he's being tossed into a feud with a midcarder and flavour of the month in Bray Wyatt. I think it's safe to say Cena won't be in the main event this year but does he complain about it? No! Cena knows he's had his turn, now it's somebody else's, and his turn will come again. Punk had his chance. He held the title for over a year, wrestled for it at Mania albeit not the main event, got the chance to wrestle Cena, Rock, Lesnar, and Taker (at Mania), and now he's dropped down the pecking order in order to give someone else their opportunity.

Using company man Cena as the standard all should be judged is rather ridiculous IMO. Even on Total Divas Cena is presented as a bit of a weirdo in comparison to other mortals.

Also CM Punk is doing this Wrestling deal without the chemical enhancements the Cenas take too.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I never minded him not main eventing wrestlemania 28. I was more annoyed about about shows like over the limit being main evented by Johnny Ace or Big Show. I also don't think he is overly self entitled because it is a very difficult day to day job and him not wanting to do it anymore seems fair enough. Anyway Raw is in Chicago in March and nothing would surprise me on that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

But that's the thing; he's not being moved down the pecking order to give someone else their opportunity, he's being moved down the pecking order to give part-time returning stars who've already experienced their opportunities, more opportunities, and a big payday to suit.

Like I said earlier, I think that if Bryan had won the Rumble and was going to main event WM, Punk wouldn't have been so upset because he knows Bryan earned it. Rock didn't earn it, Rock was handed it. Batista didn't earn it, he was handed it. And the guys like Punk and Bryan who work hard all year trying to earn it... can't. At least when Jericho came back the last few years he didn't take a top spot, he tried to help build new stars.

While I agree his attitude stinks and he seems like he can be a bit of a d*ck, his ambition is admirable. He wants the top spot, has fought very hard for it, taken everything the WWE have thrown at him and ran with it, but if he can't get the top spot, what's the point?

• Advertisement

Cena has been the face of the company for near a decade now, Punk was left languishing in the midcard for a lot of his career and creative didn't know what to do with him. It's not really a fair comparison. It's not like Punk is being pushed aside from some new talent, it's Batista, who's in his late 40's, was gassed after about 2 minutes work in the Rumble and looked like he was going to keel over by the end, and that's who they want headlining the biggest show of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

If this wasn't a work to start I think you can bet on it becoming one. Punk may have had genuine reasons for walking out but the guy loves controversy and I reckon this has recharged his batteries right back up.
    Wouldn't be hugely surprised if Punk himself was working Vince knowing that this shítstorm would brew up resulting in Vince seeing dollar signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

Is this where we start a #CMPunkMovement alongside the #YesMovement

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I'm sure his ufc and hockey tickets were already complimentary but the main stream publicity can't hirt

Like I said earlier, I think that if Bryan had won the Rumble and was going to main event WM, Punk wouldn't have been so upset because he knows Bryan earned it.

I doubt that. Unless he gets to benefit he bitches and moans.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deano546

Hope that this leads to the crowd hijacking Bryan v Triple H with CM Punk chants.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

deano546 wrote: »
    Hope that this leads to the crowd hijacking Bryan v Triple H with CM Punk chants.

Ah no, save those for Boreton V Bootista :D

• Registered Users Posts: 85,032 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd say Punk is jealous of how over Bryan is, hell everyone in WWE must be jealous :p anyways I hope he returns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

I'll actually be bowled over in astonishment if any match involving Batista draws the curtain on WMXXX. If that comes to fruition and I'm in the Woolshed that night, I'll be be walking out before the show ends.

I seriously cannot get my head around at how they think Batista, B level at best in his own god damn era, can draw the buyrates they want as the literal main event of the show. ****ing face Batista at that too.

• Advertisement

I'll actually be bowled over in astonishment if any match involving Batista draws the curtain on WMXXX. If that comes to fruition and I'm in the Woolshed that night, I'll be be walking out before the show ends.

I seriously cannot get my head around at how they think Batista, B level at best in his own god damn era, can draw the buyrates they want as the literal main event of the show. ****ing face Batista at that too.

Indeed, heel douchebag Batista was the only time he was ever entertaining, and I don't even think he was acting :pac: He's as boring as a wet sunday as a face.

Advertisement